• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump wasn't even in Situation Room for 'botched' Yemen raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It keeps getting every crazier.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-navy-seal-dead-first-military-a7561596.html

Everyone has seen it in the movies.

A secret military operation is underway in a faraway land, and as the grainy images stream in, the President – surrounded by his or her top advisors – sits and watches grim-faced in the White House Situation Room.

Yet when Donald Trump ordered his first military operation as US President, a Navy Seal strike on a suspected Al-Qaeda camp in Yemen’s Bayda province that resulted in the deaths of one member of the US special forces team and up to 30 Yemeni civilians, among them an eight-year-old girl, that is not quite how things played out.

Amid claims that Mr Trump ordered the operation in the early hours of Sunday morning without sufficient intelligence, ground support or back-up, it has emerged that the President was not in the Situation Room at all.

“The President was here in the residence. He was kept in touch with his national security staff,” White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters.

“Secretary Mattis and others kept him updated on both the raid and the death of Chief Owens as well as the four other individuals that were injured. So he was kept apprised of the situation.”

It has also been pointed out that in the morning after the attack, one of the first things Mr Trump did was tweet angrily about the New York Times, writing:

Somebody with aptitude and conviction should buy the FAKE NEWS and failing @nytimes and either run it correctly or let it fold with dignity!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 29, 2017

Experts suggest different presidents have taken a different approach on how hands on they want to be in such situations. But as questions have emerged about who is leading America’s national security policy – Steve Bannon, Mr Trump’s white nationalist political advisor, has been made a member of the national security council’s so-called principals committee – US media has seized on the President’s absence.

“Usually, a President goes down to the Situation Room and is presented with what they call a full package for the attack. There’s a legal assessment of the legal authorities under which they’re doing these,” David Sanger, chief Washington correspondent of The New York Times, told PBS.

“There’s a risk assessment to the commandos who would be doing it. There is a risk assessment of what could happen to civilians who are in the area.”

He added: “It looks like President Trump got briefed on it, by and large, at a dinner, not in the Situation Room, not with legal advisers around.”
You know, I always wondered how a power like Rome could ever fall... I'm starting to get an idea.

Nobody is asking - nay demanding! - to know if he had any input during the raid.

Like: operation exposed, go, no-go Mr President?

Alternative fact: He wasn't in the Situation Room because he was out there in the field shooting radical Islamic terrorists with his soldiers like a good leader should...

RPGCrazied

This man is going to get lots of people killed. They are already raising tensions in Iran, China will be next. A war is coming, and he is going to send in the military and people will die.

I'd leave the military if I could if I was in it, no way would I take orders from him.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Okay, but what about her emails?

I mean, former President Obama wasn't in that situation room during this Yemen raid either! He was on vacation! Sad!

How can we blame Trump when former President Obama was on vacation during this disaster?

Chris Matthews pressed KellyAnne Conway about if he was eating dinner when he gave the order and she wouldn't deny it. That should tell you all you need to know.

PJV3

Are we blaming this on someone else as well?

Poor old Trumpy, if only he didn't surround himself with psychos and family members.

Toxi

Banned
"To avoid this problem, the President says he will start holding his dinner parties in the Situation Room."

vlcsnap-2012-12-29-14x3psq.jpg

Hey, the man's busy with the real issues facing America, like The Apprentice's ratings.

has he ordered an investigation into the crowd sizes yet..?

the fact that i'm not sure if he has actually ordered that or if it was someone joking he might do it is goddamn hilarious and also terrifying.

Paskil

Okay, but what about her emails?

I still lose my shit nearly every time I see this. So good.

On a more serious note, I find his level of disconnect and lack of self-awareness both in his actions and in the office in which he resides frightening.

Surprise, surprise. Donald Trump wants to run the government like he runs his businesses: By slapping his name on it and checking out for the day.

Let's just go over this again:

Fuck you BernieOrBusters
Fuck you third-party voters
Fuck you Mickey Mouse voters in Florida
Fuck you Rust Belt
Fuck you Baby Boomers
Fuck you racist shitbags
Fuck you Tea Party nuts
Fuck you Putin
Fuck you members of the press who enabled him
Fuck you Breitbart
Fuck you white people

Fuck alllllll of you for this shameful turn of events.

All right. I'm good now. Let's be constructive.

rjinaz

Are we blaming this on someone else as well?

Poor old Trumpy, if only he didn't surround himself with psychos and family members.

How long before Trump gets wise and starts bringing in people for the sole purpose of taking the fall? Paid handsomely of course.

Yeah heard about this earlier.

He was tweeting about the NYT in the oval office while American lives were at stake in a delicate and sensitive operation that killed a commando and an innocent child.

Shows you how seriously he takes his job now involving human lives if the NYT being mean to him again means more to him than the lives he has in his hands.

Xe4

Banned
yeah how about no?
That's no more of a generalization than attacking the Rust Belt or Baby Boomers. I'm a white dude who voted for Clinton, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that white insecurity didn't lead to this, cause it absolutely did.

He could have been a bit more specific, I absolutely agree, however.

Seriously out of all the shit of the last two weeks.

This is the most disgusting.

He cares so little for the human lives he is now responsible for he'd rather tweet angrily like a fucking 15 year old girl.

Trump stans, I won't jump you, but I NEED this answer.

How do you justify still supporting him knowing this fact?

That's no more of a generalization than attacking the Rust Belt or Baby Boomers. I'm a white dude who voted for Clinton, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that white insecurity didn't lead to this, cause it absolutely did.

He could have been a bit more specific, I absolutely agree, however.

The stats showing the white women vote for him needs to be in every OP tbh. Fuck shielding people from the facts they need to face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom