• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

udivision said:
I won't let myself get tricked. It's just gonna be a few stages near the end that are "hard" and since those are the freshest in peoples memory they say the whole game was that way.

I don't recall how hard the original was. But I don't remember dying as much as I am dying in this one.

ryan-ts

This thread should be at the top of GAF at all times prior to it's release. GAF (myself included) has failed.

Walnuts, peanuts....

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ryan-ts said:
This thread should be at the top of GAF at all times prior to it's release. GAF (myself included) has failed.

Walnuts, peanuts....

they should probably just sticky it and/or delete every other thread and ban people who post about not-DKC returns

ryan-ts

Snuggler said:
they should probably just sticky it and/or delete every other thread and ban people who post about not-DKC returns

This is the sort of action we need! Why aren't you a Mod?

Capcom works with western devs = disaster

Retro works with eastern developer = perfection

Don't buy into the great "western developers" hype Japanese developers. Do what you do best.

Platy

BishopLamont said:

Nintendo works with eastern developer = perfection

Don't buy into the great "western developers" hype Japanese developers. Do what you do best.

I know Retro is good and all ... but .. fixed =P

.la1n

BishopLamont said:

Retro works with eastern developer = perfection

Eh, the industry on both sides needs more help than just that particular solution.

Platy said:
I know Retro is good and all ... but .. fixed =P
Nintendo working with themselves under the false guise that is Retro? Think we're onto something here. :)

.la1n said:
Eh, the industry on both sides needs more help than just that particular solution.
Of course, but thinking "oh western dev games sell big, so lets do what they do" doesn't exactly help anything, in fact, at times its worse. My example shows how Retro is just doing themselves, just as every developer on any side should do. Eastern devs trying to cash in on the FPS fad is equivalent to western devs trying to make their own Mario, we might get a success here and there, but in general, it ain't gonna work for everyone if their specialty isn't in that area.

Haunted

udivision said:
It'd be nice to play a difficult game, but I don't think Nintendo makes those anymore.
This is the mindless parrot talk I really don't like to see. How can you say that with a straight face considering their recent output. Except if your memory only goes back 2 months or so.

Both NSMBWii and SMG2 are tough fucking games.

That said, this is a Retro game. Previous Retro games weren't too easy, so I don't think this will be, either.

Platy

Well ... Retro working with Nintendo proprieties is like when Blue Castle Games worked with Capcom proprieties .... so i imagined it was the same thing =x

Haunted

udivision said:
Haven't played NSMBWii so I can't say anything. SMG2? Maybe more so than SMG1 but that's not saying all that much.
SMG2 is the hardest 3D Mario to date.

Level 9-7 of NSMBWii is the single hardest level I've played in a 2D Mario game outside of rom hacks.

Anihawk mentioned Sin and Punishment 2 already.

"They're not making difficult games anymore" (implying that they have done so in the past) is just factually false, period. And if you wanted to say that they've never made difficult games

• why put "anymore" in that sentence?
  • why start complaining about that (perceived, I might add) easiness of their games now?

upandaway

Haunted said:
I had a far harder time with Sunshine. It's not even close. Even 64 was harder.

But then again I had an easier time with Galaxy 2 than the consensus, so I don't know.

-PXG-

ryan-ts said:

Walnuts, peanuts....

The DK Rap has been stuck in my head for days. Don't make it worse.

Platy said:
Well ... Retro working with Nintendo proprieties is like when Blue Castle Games worked with Capcom proprieties .... so i imagined it was the same thing =x
Let's just say they're lucky that one worked out.

WillyFive

upandaway said:
I had a far harder time with Sunshine. It's not even close. Even 64 was harder.

But then again I had an easier time with Galaxy 2 than the consensus, so I don't know.

No, Mario 64 was easier.

But Sunshine is the absolute hardest 3D Mario. I couldn't finish it, not from a lack of trying.

udivision

Haunted said:
Level 9-7 of NSMBWii is the single hardest level I've played in a 2D Mario game outside of rom hacks.

Well, a hard game tends to translate to "that one/those few levels towards the end of the game that are freshest in my memory" these days.

Maybe I was talking more about Mario games than Nintendo published games in general...

Using the shake motion for rolling is unwarranted. For the love of god, people defending motion controls need to shut up for a minute and get this simple fact when it comes to DKRC; shaking functionally does nothing more than what pressing a button can do. Neither the force with which you shake the remote nor the direction you shake it have any bearing on the input. It's 0 or 1. Shake or didn't shake. Same for the pound mechanic or making DK blow on objects. It's forced on the player without adding any real functionality. You may argue "immersion" all you want, but seriously, Nintendo in these instances should just give an alt control scheme that supports a classic controller.

Edit: I still really like this game, so don't get me wrong.

TSA said:
Using the shake motion for rolling is unwarranted. For the love of god, people defending motion controls need to shut up for a minute and get this simple fact when it comes to DKRC; shaking functionally does nothing more than what pressing a button can do. Neither the force with which you shake the remote nor the direction you shake it have any bearing on the input. It's 0 or 1. Shake or didn't shake. Same for the pound mechanic or making DK blow on objects. It's forced on the player without adding any real functionality. You may argue "immersion" all you want, but seriously, Nintendo in these instances should just give an alt control scheme that supports a classic controller.

amen

hatchx

Banned
TSA said:

I like shaking. I prefer shaking to do melee attacks in FPS than pressing a button. I like shaking to give Mario the shake in Galaxy.

Shaking as a button is fine by me. I prefer it. Easier on my brain.

TSA said:

We're over that argument and you're saying the same exact thing everyone else says.

They have motion controls on their new system.

They're going to make you use them.

As long as they don't compromise gameplay, who cares???

No one that has played the game has said it negatively affects the gameplay.

ShockingAlberto said:
So we're agreed that the controls as they are just don't work?

I'm still confused.
They work. We are just discussing if they are necessary, since it doesn't add anything peculiar to the game.

In my head is quite easy to understand, the 'casual' player prefers motion controllers since they feel more immersion with the game; speaking from anecdotal experiences with NSMBWii, of course.

Doesn't explain lack of support for other controllers.

udivision

TSA said:

Why would you even need a classic controller for an alt control scheme? How many buttons does a DK game need...

udivision said:
Why would you even need a classic controller for an alt control scheme? How many buttons does a DK game need...
Options are nice. CCPro is a extremely comfortable controller, and some people just plain don't like motion controllers over normal, just as efficient, controllers.

Twig

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
We're over that argument and you're saying the same exact thing everyone else says.

They have motion controls on their new system.

They're going to make you use them.

As long as they don't compromise gameplay, who cares???

No one that has played the game has said it negatively affects the gameplay.
It did for me. PAX demo, specifically.

Though I still intend to buy the game, eventually. In the hopes that I will get used to how awful it is.

I like DK. )':

Adam J.

Wow. So according to Nintendo Power I should probably get DJ Hero 2 instead. Going to go cancel my pre-order now...

upandaway

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
They're ok, they're not biased towards the games like many believe they will be.

They're a credible source I guess.
As credible as review scores in general can be.

Which is not very much so.

Nessus

Haunted said:

God the bonus levels in NSMBW are ridiculous.

They remind me of the e-Reader levels for Super Mario Advance 4.

Ranger X

TSA said:

You mean it's WORSE than a button press. With a button press, you only delay is the time for the button to reach the metallic contact and instantly trigger something in the game. This is a shorter time than for a shaking movement to actually register.
So basically, not only "shake for rolling" is a bad idea that doesn't bring anything compared to a button press but it's also slower!
I thought we all longed for improvement...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Attn: geniuses. This entire argument was completed last night. Please refer to said posts if you are interested in replies, they have all already been made.

Tathanen said:
Attn: geniuses. This entire argument was completed last night. Please refer to said posts if you are interested in replies, they have all already been made.

But people would rather dwell on an age old argument instead of talking about like how lucky we are getting such a killer app.

I never even noticed these technicalities of the controls with the system until people brought them up.

udivision

Tathanen said:
Oh, nothing is ever resolved on the internet. So even when arguments end, they can start up again for the heck of it.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I never even noticed these technicalities of the controls with the system until people brought them up.
That's true. I'd probably would enjoy gaming more, if I didn't spend my time reading gaming forums.

upandaway

I saw the review details on StopNintendo

They say that the game is harder than NSMBW and that co-op makes the game harder than alone. And something about co-op not being as big of a deal because NSMBW did it first.

If I ever needed another reason to remember why I don't look at these things.

upandaway said:
I saw the review details on StopNintendo

They say that the game is harder than NSMBW and that co-op makes the game harder than alone. And something about co-op not being as big of a deal because NSMBW did it first.

If I ever needed another reason to remember why I don't look at these things.
Basically.

Glad to hear its a tough game though.
EDIT: After playing a lot of more poorly reviewed PS2 games over the last year I've tried not to care about reviews as much. Lots of interesting games that I'm only getting to now partially because I saw bad reviews and figured it wasn't worth it.

Top Bottom