• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Hobbun

upandaway said:
I saw the review details on StopNintendo

They say that the game is harder than NSMBW and that co-op makes the game harder than alone. And something about co-op not being as big of a deal because NSMBW did it first.

If I ever needed another reason to remember why I don't look at these things.

The only thing I could agree out of that is the game should not be more difficult because it is co-op. I know that is how it is with most co-op games, but a truly great designed game can keep the co-op game from being more difficult (unless it was done purposefully, like in FPS'). However, in this case, we know it is because to have both characters doing the precision jumps and to keep up with one another. It's just how it is in fast paced platformers, unfortunately. But if the designers can design the game to be equally challenging in single and co-op play, then they deserve the higher review score.

However, to knock off points for being too hard and 'the co-op was done before', have to be two of the dumbest reasons to give a lower score.

Difficulty scares me in a way.

I mean, I want the game to be challenging, but I also want to play this with my girlfriend.

I hope there's a way for her not to feel like dead weight if the game gets too hard. She was honestly upset she died against the Joker three times in Arkham.

hatchx

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

I mean, I want the game to be challenging, but I also want to play this with my girlfriend.

I hope there's a way for her not to feel like dead weight if the game gets too hard. She was honestly upset she died against the Joker three times in Arkham.

I think Diddy can jump on DKs back for harder parts (and still control coconut gun and hover barrels). It should be fine.

I'm shocked by the NP review. I'm expecting 9.0+ from every publication.

Hobbun

ShockingAlberto said:

Unfortunately, that's what this game sounds like. I could be wrong, as I have not played it, but from the reviews and from other impressions, it sounds like the game is more difficult to play in co-op.

I am also with you, where I think the game should be challenging, I just hope it's not mind-numbingly difficult (i.e. Battletoads).

ShockingAlberto said:

Hadn't thought of that. Is there the bubble like NSMBW? I recall having to send my girlfriend to the bubble several times in that game. Or is there a drop in-drop out style co-op? Sorry if the answers are well known, I've been on 90% media blackout for this game.

CaVaYeRo

hatchx said:
I like shaking. I prefer shaking to do melee attacks in FPS than pressing a button. I like shaking to give Mario the shake in Galaxy.

Shaking as a button is fine by me. I prefer it. Easier on my brain.

:lol I'm with you!

Sadist

Hey guys if it's too difficult for ya you can use the Super Guide

sX0UI.gif

Sadist said:
Hey guys if it's too difficult for ya you can use the Super Guide

sX0UI.gif
There's the problem, I don't think it will be too difficult for me. I have been playing games all my life and even when my reflexes are lacking, I don't mind dying a dozen times until I get a level down pat.

The people I'm playing with will probably not enjoy dying and watching me play until I rescue them only to die again.

Sadist

I was just being a bit of an ass, but I totally understand.

I'd expect there is some form of learningcurve to gradually raise the bar of diffilculty while advancing. New Super Mario Bros. Wii had those, same goes for Galazy 2. Seems to me that Retro won't make beginning players go to hell and back for the first world/opening levels.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This game is going to rule.

On a slightly related note, it happened to be Miyamoto's birthday yesterday. :O

Hobbun

Sadist said:
I was just being a bit of an ass, but I totally understand.

I'd expect there is some form of learningcurve to gradually raise the bar of diffilculty while advancing. New Super Mario Bros. Wii had those, same goes for Galazy 2. Seems to me that Retro won't make beginning players go to hell and back for the first world/opening levels.

The Game Informer review said the game transitions perfectly from world to world in regards to difficulty. Meaning, there are no huge difficulty spikes. Which sounds great to me. I have never been the best in regards to platform games (especially now at my age) and not sure if I will be able to defeat the game, but I certainly will have fun trying!

Sadist

Hmm. I guess Nintendo Power editors aren't very good in platform games.

Now I'm curious about your age Hobbun. Personally I think platformers are fantastic games and they continue to be my favourite genre, but I suck at them. I always complete them though. I remember a few years back when getting the Yoshi's Island port for GBA getting my ass whooped during a few levels :lol I'm 24, not that old :p

Hobbun

Sadist said:
Hmm. I guess Nintendo Power editors aren't very good in platform games.

Now I'm curious about your age Hobbun. Personally I think platformers are fantastic games and they continue to be my favourite genre, but I suck at them. I always complete them though. I remember a few years back when getting the Yoshi's Island port for GBA getting my ass whooped during a few levels :lol I'm 24, not that old :p

Compared to most game forums, I am really old. I know to GAF, there is a lot more diverse age group. I am 38.

I have never really been that good with platform games, either. I did beat the original Mega Man games back on the NES, and I was pretty damn proud of it. However, I remember spending hours getting that jump just right, shooting the enemy at the right moment and getting the pattern down on the boss.

However, when I fired up Mega Man 1 again last year, I was like "Holy shit". I just couldn't keep from dying. And tried Mega Man 9..well...:lol

But yes, I have always had a blast playing platform games, even though I have never been that great at them. I think now, part of it is having less reflexes than when I was younger, but also because I don't have as much time and therefore patience. Maybe if I actually just sat down and played for hours on end like I would in my teens, I could do it.

Hmm, the Nintendo Power review is pretty surprising, but I’m not worried. I can see it being a one off.

I’m fully expecting a 9.5 from IGN and GameSpot. It just doesn’t look like an 8.5 game to me at all....

hatchx

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Hmm, the Nintendo Power review is pretty surprising, but I’m not worried. I can see it being a one off.

I’m fully expecting a 9.5 from IGN and GameSpot. It just doesn’t look like an 8.5 game to me at all....

I can see Gamespot 'slamming it' with an 8.0.

That's just great, my CCPro is fucking up with me. The wiimore doesn't recognize it; I was going to finish DKC2. =(

EDIT: I just noticed that Online forum is now Community. I swear I didn't see it until now.

Sipowicz

Banned
gamespot dont give wii games 90%+ scores

the only guy who's willing to review high profile wii games is tom mcshea. he's very good but unfortunately he's also very harsh

8.0-8.5 realistically

Chet Rippo said:
Is 8.5 really that bad of a score?

Of course not but all the videos of the game and impressions lead you to believe it's one of those uncommon "can't miss at all" games and while it didn't miss with them, I expected basically all sources to score it higher.

This won't be right but I say a 9.5 from IGN and a 9 from Gamespot.

Chet Rippo said:
Is 8.5 really that bad of a score? Though their reasoning behind it is rather dumb.

Well I think the reasoning behind the score is the real problem here. They hardly even seem like negatives and just sound silly. The reviewer constantly compares it to New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Saying that it's too hard and that co-op is not a big deal because New Super Mario Bros Wii did it first? Really? And saying that Donkey Kong is too slow and bulky compared to Mario? Umm....ok?

ryan-ts

Sipowicz said:
gamespot dont give wii games 90%+ scores

the only guy who's willing to review high profile wii games is tom mcshea. he's very good but unfortunately he's also very harsh

8.0-8.5 realistically
Galaxy 1&2 laugh

No More Heroes and Wario Ware Smooth Moves too...

Twig

Banned
Jesus christ so much whining about reviews. If you don't agree with the reasoning for the SUPER LOW SCORE OF EIGHT POINT FIVE, fine, but it's not like he's eating your firstborn alive. Who cares!!!!

There seems to be a variety of UK (and Ireland) pre order bonuses going around;

Toys 'R' Us are offering a DK figurine, limited to first 10,000 pre orders (in store/online)
Littlewoods (don't hurt me EuroCAGGAF) are offering the banana skin for wiimote, limited to first 1,000 pre orders (in store/online)
HMV are offering an £8 gift card (in store only)
Gamestop Ireland are offering the banana skin wiimotes too, limited to first 2,500 pre orders (online only)

People are worried about Nintendo Power's score? If they gave it a 10/10, you'd be worried cause they're biased. NP's actually pretty harsh with reviews. I remember back in the day seeing them give OOT a lower score than most other magazines out there.

Sipowicz

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Galaxy 1&2 laugh

No More Heroes and Wario Ware Smooth Moves too...

exception to the rule. trust me i spend quite a bit of time on the site. sans galaxy thr last wii game that got above an 8.5 was brawl a few years ago

Xdrive05

So is this a good example of Nintendo now making more challenging 'core' games due to the Superguide giving them an out for the kiddies?

I hope so, and I hope this means Zelda will be challenging again.

Penguin

I can never find this information, but does anyone know if Nintendo world Store is holding some type of launch event for the game?

ryan-ts

Sipowicz said:
exception to the rule. trust me i spend quite a bit of time on the site. sans galaxy thr last wii game that got above an 8.5 was brawl a few years ago

World of Goo? Black Ops? Tiger Woods 10?

Outside of that are there really any games since Brawl that deserved a 9? Lots of good games for sure but how many awesome games?

Vanille

Twig said:
Jesus christ so much whining about reviews. If you don't agree with the reasoning for the SUPER LOW SCORE OF EIGHT POINT FIVE, fine, but it's not like he's eating your firstborn alive. Who cares!!!!

I don't see anyone whining, people are just questioning what appears to be a poorly written review. Relax.

Twig said:

What the? I don’t see anyone whining over the review. Who’s whining? I thought the discussion about it was very reasonable and I don't think anyone really cares in here that it got an 8.5. Calm down. :lol

Sipowicz

Banned
ryan-ts said:
World of Goo? Black Ops? Tiger Woods 10?

Outside of that are there really any games since Brawl that deserved a 9? Lots of good games for sure but how many awesome games?

i would say punch out did, one of the best games i've played this gen. other than that i haven't played much so i cant comment

still, the chances of a wii exclusive getting above an 8.5 on gamespot are pretty much non-existent. whatever the reasons may be

Rich!

I dont really care if it got an 8.5. Plenty of people hate DKC2, and it's my favourite game of all time. Plenty of people absolutely love DKC1, yet I don't really like it.

It's all down to personal opinion.

EzLink

Banned
I for one am incredibly excited to hear that I will finally get another challenging platformer. Part of what I love about the originals is that you truly get a sense of accomplishment when you beat them, unlike most games today where you get the "experience" of seeing the ending merely by investing the time required, as opposed to having to use genuine skill.

BRING THE PAIN BITCH

Rich!

EzLink said:
I for one am incredibly excited to hear that I will finally get another challenging platformer. Part of what I love about the originals is that you truly get a sense of accomplishment when you beat them, unlike most games today where you get the "experience" of seeing the ending merely by investing the time required, as opposed to having to use genuine skill.

BRING THE PAIN BITCH

It will be superb. That vertical lava level in the trailer looks like DKCR's answer to Toxic Tower in DKC2.

udivision

EzLink said:

BRING THE PAIN BITCH

It was just one guy saying he hoped it wasn't too hard since he wanted to play with his girlfriend, and another guy (me) who thinks it's not going to be as hard as people say. Everyone else wants it to be a challenge like you do.

ryan-ts

Sipowicz said:
i would say punch out did, one of the best games i've played this gen. other than that i haven't played much so i cant comment

still, the chances of a wii exclusive getting above an 8.5 on gamespot are pretty much non-existent. whatever the reasons may be

Whatever, I don't think they have an agenda but there is that whole Gertsmann situation which makes some people doubt.

Anyway, I'm playing Donkey Kong Land 2 on my GBC, looks pretty bad. The Kremlins are smaller then the Kongs :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I find NSBWii to be difficult only when other players are involved as you tend to get in the way of each other. When played solo, the game is incredibly easy. "Challenging" is most certainly not a word I'd use to describe the game.

Top Bottom