• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Balb

Lyphen said:
I've kind of been on a blackout, so I always assumed it would have CC support. What a shame. The Pro is so comfortable. Like a dream.

I thought I heard that it did have CC support in the IGN Nintendo podcast. Was I not paying close enough attention or were they talking about some other mode?

Kard8p3

Balb said:
I thought I heard that it did have CC support in the IGN Nintendo podcast. Was I not paying close enough attention or were they talking about some other mode?

They were talking about when you hold the wiimote in the classic NES style not the CC.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Shalashaska161 said:
I want to use the Classic Controller because its more comfortable than holding the Wiimote sideways. Plus it has a bigger D-pad.

This is why you use the Remote/Chuck combo, since it's the primary scheme the game was developed around. DK's physics are likely built on an analog stick. (Or it should at least work fine with one.) Also: Remote/Chuck is the most comfortable scheme of all time!

But no for real, things like simply preferring the feel of the CC are perfectly valid reasons for wanting support. To each his own for that. As long as it's not based upon a fear/hatred of motion controls.

Flib

I just don't understand not bothering to include it at all...more options are better and I doubt it would take a ton of effort to implement it.

edit: it doesn't really bother me at all in the end, it just seems strange to not support it.

Proven

Tathanen said:
This is why you use the Remote/Chuck combo, since it's the primary scheme the game was developed around. DK's physics are likely built on an analog stick. (Or it should at least work fine with one.) Also: Remote/Chuck is the most comfortable scheme of all time!

But no for real, things like simply preferring the feel of the CC are perfectly valid reasons for wanting support. To each his own for that. As long as it's not based upon a fear/hatred of motion controls.

I just read your post on the last page. I feel the same way...

As for the Wii Remote sideways, USE THE FUCKING JACKET! I hated using the Wii Remote sideways for anything other than Excite Truck, just because of that Dpad. I got cramps playing Super Paper Mario when it first came out. Then the Jacket came out and now I use the remote sideways any chance I get.

In fact, I'm worried about using it to shake for attack. I've been shaking or moving for aerial movements for so long I fear that I should try using Nunchuck for this game. At the same time, despite Nunchuck being easier to manage for MK Wii, I still ended up sticking with Sideways play...

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost here...
almost.

Can't wait. I didn't pre-order it, so I won't get that awesome and totally useless banana pouch, but oh well.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Flib said:
I just don't understand not bothering to include it at all...more options are better and I doubt it would take a ton of effort to implement it.

edit: it doesn't really bother me at all in the end, it just seems strange to not support it.

Does it really seem strange? Has there been some kind of significant precedent where Nintendo-published 2D platformers on the Wii have supported the CC? That's another thing about this argument that's so bizarre to me, people always seem to just assume that there will be CC support, and are all surprised to find there there isn't... when Nintendo barely supports the thing at all.

Honestly I'd be shocked to discover CC support for a game like this, particularly if that support meant mapping distinct motion controls to buttons.

I sort of wonder if CC sales have anything to do with why it never really gets any support, actually. Does anyone know how many CCs are out there? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Nintendo basically considered it a Virtual Console manipulator and nothing more.

Wallach

Tathanen said:
Does it really seem strange? Has there been some kind of significant precedent where Nintendo-published 2D platformers on the Wii have supported the CC? That's another thing about this argument that's so bizarre to me, people always seem to just assume that there will be CC support, and are all surprised to find there there isn't... when Nintendo barely supports the thing at all.

Honestly I'd be shocked to discover CC support for a game like this, particularly if that support meant mapping distinct motion controls to buttons.

I sort of wonder if CC sales have anything to do with why it never really gets any support, actually. Does anyone know how many CCs are out there? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Nintendo basically considered it a Virtual Console manipulator and nothing more.

I think people assume the CC is supported just because it's exactly the type of game that you would fuckin' assume it was made for. I don't blame people for being pissed off when they are offered a controller like the CC and wind up not being able to use it for titles where it makes the most sense to be able to do so.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wallach said:
I think people assume the CC is supported just because it's exactly the type of game that you would fuckin' assume it was made for. I don't blame people for being pissed off when they are offered a controller like the CC and wind up not being able to use it for titles where it makes the most sense to be able to do so.

Wasn't the CC primarily built for VC titles?

Flib

Tathanen said:

Yet they push bundles like the Monster Hunter and Goldeneye pro CC ones. If you are mainstreaming one of your main control options, games which can logically support it due to their nature probably should.

Proven

Wallach said:

I think people here assume that. I always assumed it was primarily for VC games, and then for Smash Brothers for those who were babies. But then they kept pandering with the CC Pro for Monster Hunter after 90% of their best sellers skipped out on any CC support at all.

Flib said:

Same with all the big Nintendo games, they have a controller that defines the system so they are going to want you to use it and if they had options to use all the older control schemes, it would make you wonder why they have this new way to play games at all, it'd be like conceding the past is better than the future and while it may be to some for some games, I am not surprised they are "forcing" you to use something that is integral to the whole point of their console.

One issue Nintendo games never had was controls, I am sure after time it will be second nature.

The Gamecube controller was sometimes shit with third party games but ideal for first party ones as was the N64 one.

This game looks mindblowing. I really hope this signals that they intend on bring it back in some form rather than it signaling that they're done with the series for a long while after this comeback.

I'd love to see an iteration on 3DS.

Wallach

Flib said:
Yet they push bundles like the Monster Hunter and Goldeneye pro CC ones. If you are mainstreaming one of your main control options, games which can logically support it due to their nature probably should.

Seriously, isn't this the whole idea behind the CC Pro even coming into existence? It makes even less sense for a FPS like Goldeneye to have support than a game that has gameplay almost entirely derived from a SNES title.

entremet

udivision said:
Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are the only Nintendo Wii games that support all 4 types of control, AFAIK...
Kinda strange that Nintendo barely supports their periphirals...oh wait, it's not.:lol

Flib

Look, either way I'm going to go for nunchuck+remote, I just think they should include it as an option. Maybe it's because I'm primarily a PC player these days, but the more options the better imo.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Wallach said:

Except I don't assume it's made for this kind of title. Why would it be? Just because it's 2D? Motion controls are only reasonable in 3D games? Analog sticks are no good for gradation in movement along a single plane? These are ridiculous assumptions.

The only assumption that would make sense is that the "classic" controller should be compatible with a "classic" game. Namely, VC games. Which is the main reason it exists in the first place. A game isn't "classic" just by virtue of being 2D, that's a load of garbage.

The Monster Hunter and Goldeneye bundles are tragic, really, since both of those games function perfectly well with the Remote/Chuck scheme. BETTER with that scheme, for Goldeneye! And yet, they're "hardcore" games and "hardcore" gamers hate and fear waggle, so bundling a CC legitimizes the game as a "real game" for them.

Now you could argue for Monster Hunter that the CC could be good because MH is a game that needs a lot of buttons, or a specific configuration of buttons, and hey sure. That might be a fair reason to support the CC, a very complicated title that needs a specific layout. I'll accept that. But oh wait, the claim is that a 2D platformer, which basically has the most simplistic control scheme this side of puzzle games, is the genre that the CC was made for? Yeah I don't think so.

agrajag

Banned
Tathanen said:
I apologize for the following rant but I need to get it out of my system.

shut up Shut Up SHUT UP with this PEOPLE

Why can't you play it with the balance board? I have one, it's right here! I prefer games on it why don't all games support it. I ALSO HAVE A ZAPPER.

This classic controller whining in every goddamned thread these days is making me lose my mind. I don't care if you think it's a "classic" game and should use "classic" controls. Hey why not just use 16 bit graphics at 224p because HEY THAT'S CLASSIC HUH?

This is a sequel, not a remake. Just because it's 2D doesn't somehow exempt it from the design methods of its era and its system. The Wii has been out for four years you should be extremely used to motion controls by now. They are not going anywhere. They are here to stay. "Classic Controller Support" is a crutch that you cling to in a desperate bid to pretend the Wii isn't what it is. WELP, IT IS. SRY.

"But options are better! You can't argue against options!"

This isn't about options and you know it. Refer to the ridiculous Balance Board argument. It's about hating "waggle" and wanting the "option" to live in a world where the Wii launched exclusively with an Xbox 360 controller.

"But the motion isn't being used for anything that's enhanced by motion, it's being used for moves that could be accomplished faster and more reliably with button presses!"

On the Wii, a quick shake basically IS a button press. It's simply another input method. Any time I hear the argument that it's objectively less precise or quick I wonder what these people are doing in their games. A jerk of the wrist is absolutely no slower than the time required to move a thumb to a button to depress it. When the SNES came out you had to learn to use your index fingers, did you put up this kind of a stink then? Those shoulder buttons probably took LONGER to move your finger to and depress than a wrist shake! And they absolutely do in this era of deep analog triggers.

Just like a shoulder button, though, a wrist shake (by virtue of being a distinct input method) can be performed while your thumbs are busy doing something else. This is why the shake in NSMBW was so great, it allowed you to perform a spin no matter what your thumbs were doing, you didn't have to let go of run, you didn't have to let go of jump, you gain the ability to perform these moves simultaneously. I'm not sure this will end up being relevant in DKCR, but it's a point in favor of wrist-jerks regardless.

In short: live in the now. I learned how to manage this system four damn years ago in Twilight Princess because that's what the system was, and I decided "hey I'd better get good at this mechanic because I like playing games." Just like all of us did when we were first challenged by a new mechanic. Because we conquer these "challenges" and learn how to do new things. Such is the virtue of the gamer. You know what, maybe there's some kind of input that's far superior to a base and pedestrian action like "pressing a button" but you know what, that's what we're given, and we have the option to either learn how to fucking manage it, or bitch about it every damn day of our lives. I'm pretty sure gamers used to be more flexible than this.

--

Ahem.

Yeah Donkey Kong woo I can't wait!

the system needs you to complete the motion before it registers your input, that's why there's inherent delay in every gesture based mechanic, from the sword slashing in Twilight Princess to spinning in Mario Galaxy. Sorry, but it's nowhere near as precise or reliable as a button press.

Wallach said:
Seriously, isn't this the whole idea behind the CC Pro even coming into existence? It makes even less sense for a FPS like Goldeneye to have support than a game that has gameplay almost entirely derived from a SNES title.

Not really, most FPSs games in the past have been played with dual analog so they are covering that fanbase.

Sure, FPSs are played and have been on computers for years and years but console only gamers aren't used to that type of control and they wanted to take care of that demographic.

It's not like this new Donkey Kong uses a ton of motion controls anyway, I don't see this being more than a minor annoyance that over time will be a complete non-issue.

I'm confused, why are we having this argument

Did Retro fuck up on the controls? Is the game not playable with the way the controls are designed?

If so, I'm pretty surprised, they're usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

udivision

agrajag said:
the system needs you to complete the motion before it registers your input, that's why there's inherent delay in every gesture based mechanic, from the sword slashing in Twilight Princess to spinning in Mario Galaxy. Sorry, but it's nowhere near as precise or reliable as a button press.

It was a non-issue in both of those games though.

ShockingAlberto said:

Did Retro fuck up on the controls? Is the game not playable with the way the controls are designed?

If so, I'm pretty surprised, they're usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

The controls aren't Classic enough for some peoples' taste. Or should I say, "retro" enough. Oooh, the ironing.

agrajag said:

Never noticed it once in any of those games, never affected the gameplay for me at all.

bounchfx

Tathanen said:
Except I don't assume it's made for this kind of title. Why would it be? Just because it's 2D?

this is exactly why.

however, as long as you can use the Wiimote sideways I see no problem.

Kard8p3

agrajag said:

I can't say I experience this delay you're talking about.

Wallach

Tathanen said:
Except I don't assume it's made for this kind of title. Why would it be? Just because it's 2D? Motion controls are only reasonable in 3D games? Analog sticks are no good for gradation in movement along a single plane? These are ridiculous assumptions.

Last I checked both iterations of the CC had analog sticks, right? It has nothing to do with analog movement, more that the implementation of the motion control here is replicating a button press from the original control scheme. You could leave that MC implementation in so that folks would not feel pressured to buy an accessory, but there isn't much justification for not providing the alternative when the motion usage isn't doing anything unique to the gameplay.

agrajag

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Never noticed it once in any of those games, never affected the gameplay for me at all.

I noticed it in both games, much more so in Zelda, however I don't abuse the spin in SMG nearly as much as I do in DKC games. This will not prevent me from buying and enjoying the game, of course, but I feel I would've enjoyed it more if it kept the control scheme from the other games intact. Rolling segueing into running is where it's at!

udivision

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
See, that's what I'm saying. Maybe I've been lucky enough to play games that did motion controls "right", IDK, but I have yet to run into any motion control issues.

agrajag said:
I noticed it in both games, much more so in Zelda, however I don't abuse the spin in SMG nearly as much as I do in DKC games. This will not prevent me from buying and enjoying the game, of course, but I feel I would've enjoyed it more if it kept the control scheme from the other games intact. Rolling segueing into running is where it's at!

Sorry to inform you, but you won't be playing the old DKC games. No, this not a "LIVE IN THE NOW" post, but a "Hopefully Retro has altered the mechanics of the game to fit their control scheme and most likely the game will play and feel differently than the old games so it won't really matter how DKC was played over a decade ago" kind of post. It's less annoying.

Kard8p3

ShockingAlberto said:

most people are just mad that you have to shake to roll. A few just like the feel of the CC better.

Flib

That's fine, but why are you all so hostile to having the option? I mean, this really isn't a big issue, but there is such adamant hostility towards people being slightly disappointed that one of the 4 official control schemes of the system isn't supported, in a flagship title which fits the control mode well.

This isn't like port-begging or crap like that, and i don't think anyone really cares. I have no issue with motion controls, but this just isn't a hard thing to implement.

udivision said:
See, that's what I'm saying. Maybe I've been lucky enough to play games that did motion controls "right", IDK, but I have yet to run into any motion control issues.

Only time it hampered gameplay for me was in New Super Mario Brothers Wii when you fought Bowser Jr. in that hover craft thingy and had to tilt to knock him into something.

I forget the battle but only time ever I thought it comprmised gameplay.

Flib said:
That's fine, but why are you all so hostile to having the option? I mean, this really isn't a big issue, but there is such adamant hostility towards people being slightly disappointed that one of the 4 official control schemes of the system isn't supported, in a flagship title which fits the control mode well.

This isn't like port-begging or crap like that.

I think people are "hostile" because something this minor gets brought up time and time again when everyone knows there are going to be subtle uses of the defining part of the system for first party big titles.

Nintendo could easily have those controls implemented in all these games.

They don't want them.

It's their vision.

Whether for better or worse, that's the reality of it.

Kard8p3

Flib said:

This isn't like port-begging or crap like that.

I don't see why anyone would expect it to be honest. With the exception of Mario Kart and Smash Bros none of Nintendo's first party games have used the CC because they want you to use the motion controls. The CC was made for VC games anyway so there's no real reason for them to use it with their wii titles.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
agrajag said:

Like everyone's already said, this is a non-issue. It's like comparing an 80fps game to a 120fps game. Yes if you break it down one is faster, but it's irrelevant. All of the technical details in the world do not negate the fact that when I played Twilight Princess, NSMBW, and both Galaxies I never once had my character not immediately react to my intentions. (Okay maybe once or twice in TP but that was early enough that I expect some growing pains.)

Wallach said:
Last I checked both iterations of the CC had analog sticks, right? It has nothing to do with analog movement, more that the implementation of the motion control here is replicating a button press from the original control scheme. You could leave that MC implementation in so that folks would not feel pressured to buy an accessory, but there isn't much justification for not providing the alternative when the motion usage isn't doing anything unique to the gameplay.

Button presses are also not doing anything unique for gameplay. My argument is that the motions are equivalent, and there is no reason to use a button over a properly-implemented wrist shake. So this is the same old "motion bad me no like" crap all over again.

Controllers change from generation to generation, and so does how you interact with them. Get over it.

agrajag

Banned
udivision said:

Sorry to inform you, but you won't be playing the old DKC games. No, this not a "LIVE IN THE NOW" post, but a "Hopefully Retro has altered the mechanics of the game to fit their control scheme and most likely the game will play and feel differently than the old games so it won't really matter how DKC was played over a decade ago" kind of post. It's less annoying.

maybe they altered the mechanics for the worse. The GI review states that shaking the controller to roll is frustrating, and that doesn't surprise me in the least. It confirms my concerns about the game.

Tathanen said:
Like everyone's already said, this is a non-issue. It's like comparing an 80fps game to a 120fps game. Yes if you break it down one is faster, but it's irrelevant. All of the technical details in the world do not negate the fact that when I played Twilight Princess, NSMBW, and both Galaxies I never once had my character not immediately react to my intentions.

That may be so, but the slight delay is noticeable to me and is an annoyance. Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't like?

Wallach

Tathanen said:
Controllers change from generation to generation, and so does how you interact with them. Get over it.

Controllers change for a reason. The reason you see people bring this up is because this is an example of change for no reason whatsoever. If the response to "why is this different" is "deal with it", of course people are going to be annoyed. It's an empty justification.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
agrajag said:
maybe they altered the mechanics for the worse. The GI review states that shaking the controller to roll is frustrating, and that doesn't surprise me in the least. It confirms my concerns about the game.

It sounds exactly to me like what I'd expect from a mainstream Wii review. Namely, reviewers who hate having to waggle, who never made the transition and learned how to do it well, and who have an axe to grind. I mean obviously there is the potential that Retro screwed it up, but given the track record of "every Wii review from every outlet ever," I sure aint trusting that kind of claim.

That may be so, but the slight delay is noticeable to me and is an annoyance. Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't like?

I am the king of space.

Wallach said:
Controllers change for a reason. The reason you see people bring this up is because this is an example of change for no reason whatsoever. If the response to "why is this different" is "deal with it", of course people are going to be annoyed. It's an empty justification.

So Retro Studios, the can-do-no-wrong developer of some of the best games in the last decade, said "let's use motion controls for absolutely no reason." They had no logic behind it whatsoever. They didn't think it felt good, they didn't think the existing buttons on the Remote were better put to other uses, they didn't think that these actions being mapped to a motion that could be performed independently of buttons presses was a good idea, they didn't think it was a good match for certain rapid-action items like punching out of DK's hut, they didn't think it was simply the best implementation of a control scheme on the Wii's primary interface and that a CC alternative wasn't as good and would undermine their faith in the scheme they had put together. None of these could be true, it was just for shits.

Welp, ya got me.

Flib

Ok, I'm not going to push it further, mainly because it's not what I was planning to use anyway and I don't usually venture into Wii threads.

Anyway, can't wait for the game!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
agrajag said:

Dont ever listen to GI when it comes to Wii controls. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but GI constantly bitch about motion and pointer controls regardless of how well they might actually work.

Wallach said:
Controllers change for a reason. The reason you see people bring this up is because this is an example of change for no reason whatsoever.

What about the many that actually prefer motion controls over button presses because while maybe not always defined by "immersion" it's a more fun and satisfying motion to do????

To them(I am one of them), it's not change for no reason at all, it's an improvement in enjoying the game no matter how subtle.

agrajag

Banned
Tathanen said:
It sounds exactly to me like what I'd expect from a mainstream Wii review. Namely, reviewers who hate having to waggle, who never made the transition and learned how to do it well, and who have an axe to grind. I mean obviously there is the potential that Retro screwed it up, but given the track record of "every Wii review from every outlet ever," I sure aint trusting that kind of claim.

Why do you have to "do it well"? Let me ask you this, do you need to learn how to press a button well in order to execute a simple roll mechanic? Are you admitting here that motion controls inherently have some learning curve that button pressing doesn't?

EatChildren said:
Dont ever listen to GI when it comes to Wii controls. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but GI constantly bitch about motion and pointer controls regardless of how well they might actually work.

I'm buying the game no matter what, but I remain skeptical over the whole waggle mapped roll thing. Hell, maybe I'll even learn to love flicking the remote every other second to roll through the levels as I like to do.

Wallach

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
What about the many that actually prefer motion controls over button presses because while maybe not always defined by "immersion" it's a more fun and satisfying motion to do????

To them(I am one of them), it's not change for no reason at all, it's an improvement in enjoying the game no matter how subtle.

That's fine! What I'm saying is it's only perfectly fine for part of the audience, and satisfying the whole audience in this case would have been such a trivial fucking thing to accomplish.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
(I edited more into my previous post, btw.)

agrajag said:
Why do you have to "do it well"? Let me ask you this, do you need to learn how to press a button well in order to execute a simple roll mechanic? Are you admitting here that motion controls inherently have some learning curve that button pressing doesn't?

When I first started gaming on the NES, yeah, I had to learn how to press a button. When I started playing on the SNES, yeah, I had to learn how to manage shoulder buttons. When I got a DS, yeah, I had to master stylus-based control. And when I started playing on the Wii four years ago, yeah, I had to learn how to manage motion controls. Today, every single one of these is second nature. So no, motion controls do not inherently have some learning curve that any other input method, when first encountered, did not.

EatChildren

agrajag said:
I'm buying the game no matter what, but I remain skeptical over the whole waggle mapped roll thing. Hell, maybe I'll even learn to love flicking the remote every other second to roll through the levels as I like to do.

I'm a little bit skeptical myself, I'm just saying. A vast majority of GI reviews for Wii games have complaints about controls. It doesn't matter how polished the game is, or how many others will find the controls, if you have to waggle or point they'll complain.

It might be a problem, but it could very well be a non-issue for most people.

Seriously, its nearly every fucking wii thread that gets polluted with this nonsense.

I remember when there were people making the assertion Mario Galaxy would play better with a dual analog controller, and it essentially boils down to that they hate everything the Wii is and for some damn reason felt threatened by its influence. It reeks of someone who is too emotionally invested into their hobby.

Top Bottom