• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Billychu said:
I agree with this. Until this week my only experience with NSMBW has been 4 player co-op. And the game was insanely hard. Now that I own my own copy of the game and can play it solo, I beat the first three worlds in one sitting and it took the same amount of times as beating two worlds in co-op.
Out of curiosity, are you collecting the coins as you go?

I found my first 2/3 playthrough of NSMBWii very challenging because I was trying to get all the coins as I played. I started over because I wanted to avoid the Super Guide showing up, and that time only got the coins I was confident I could get easily and found the game a lot less difficult. Ended up with 99 lives a lot of the time.

The coins and
World 9
are where the most challenge is. I agree with Allan Holdsworth that if you are aiming for 100% Nintendo games can hold plenty of challenge.

Myriadis

manueldelalas said:
Oh come on! Oracle games weren't hard!, they had standard Zelda difficulty.

If you want some hard Zelda, play the awesome Zelda 2, even Zelda 1 was more difficult.

Oracle of Ages was harder than Links Awakening,which was so awfully easy that it hurts.And it was released before Ocarina of Time,uDivision.
Second sentence is true.I really want to play a Zelda that is as difficult,but fair as the first one.

I just noticed that this is the DKCR thread.What happened?

Emitan

MvmntInGrn said:

I found my first 2/3 playthrough of NSMBWii very challenging because I was trying to get all the coins as I played. I started over because I wanted to avoid the Super Guide showing up, and that time only got the coins I was confident I could get easily and found the game a lot less difficult. Ended up with 99 lives a lot of the time.

The coins and
World 9
are where the most challenge is. I agree with Allan Holdsworth that if you are aiming for 100% Nintendo games can hold plenty of challenge.
For the coins it depends. I got all the coins in almost every level in World 1, and then got less and less as the game went on. I'm on World 5 now, and I only try for coins that are obvious and not too difficult to collect. I'm going to 100% this game one day, but not until after I beat it.

Socreges

Banned
I avoid the Gaming Forum for long enough and I forget how insufferably defensive some of you can be. Lighten up, guys. Allow for some criticism of Nintendo once in a while. Not everyone is out to hurt you.

manueldelalas said:
So you basically have not played the latest Mario games or any of the games Nintendo have released. Good to know.

I can see some truth to this statement in the following games: NSMB DS, Zelda WW, Zelda TP, Zelda PH and Zelda ST. That's it, it's mainly a Zelda problem IMO
Why do you preface your post with something so dickish and then go on to qualify your own statements with IMO? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I've played SMS, SMG, SMG2. I didn't find them particularly difficult, apart from minor, optional sections.
manueldelalas said:
The other part of your statement is also untrue. Uniform difficulty? Talk about being wrong, if there is one thing Nintendo games don't have is that; what they do have are incredibly good tutorials and very easy first stages so you can understand the logic behind the games; but generally in their games (except for Zelda (quarter of a heart bullshit)) the difficulty goes up in a really great way.
No, you're confused. "Uniform difficulty" meaning that each person has the same experience.

manueldelalas said:
But that statement is simply untrue in every other big Nintendo franchises, be it Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Metroid, S&P, and the other franchises.
I was more thinking with respect to games developed by Nintendo. Add Pikmin and Mario Kart, for example. Otherwise you're right. There are plenty: Metroid, S&P, F-Zero GX, etc.

Advance Wars and Fire emblem are definitely very hard games. And I love them. But I qualified my statements with words like "often", "many", "occasional exception", and "normally". I never denied that Nintendo develops hard games at times. My post concerned what I see as an overall trend.

Proven said:
Nintendo has always been about uniform difficulty. They never "acquired" it. All of the games they put out with a hard mode option come from second or overseen third party developers, like Metroid Prime.
Please read more carefully. They "acquired" the PHILOSOPHY which has two properties in tandem. I was talking about both uniform difficulty and accessible to everyone. Nintendo even speaks to that. They want children to be able to beat many of their games. This was not nearly as much a concern before.

Emitan

Socreges said:
P.S. DKCR is going to be awesome. Bought a Wii yesterday for it. :D
I owned a Wii when it came out and sold it a few months after Brawl came out. I just bought the red Wii for this game a few others I've missed. I can't believe I ever sold the thing!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Other UK Bonus Gifts:
  • Zavvi- £32.95 and free poster
  • The Hut - £32.93 and the same free poster
  • Toys R Us- £34.99 and free figurine
  • WHSmiths - £34.93 and that same flippin' free poster
  • Asda - £34.91 Jesus Christ in a DK Barrel, that same bloody poster
  • SendIt- £34.89 and have a guess.
  • LoveFilm - £34.93 and a free DK Tie that poster.
  • Click-a-Game - £34.95 and it's your lucky day if you love a sheet of paper with a printing of the box art.
  • Games4U -£34.95 and Posters4U
  • Woolworths - £34.97 and another unfunny line about the poster that isn't worth it.
  • Play.com - £34.99 and you guess it the poster FREE STICKER SHEET AND WIIMOTE STICKER!

That poster
b6djbo.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MvmntInGrn said:

Absolutely. I had every intention of completing the game in its entirety when I was playing through the game myself.

I don't bother with the optional stuff in MP though as there's always at least one person who isn't a fan. :lol

EzLink

Banned
hatchx said:
I get this one tomorrow. Pretty excited. I'll be a posting impressions. I'm a long time DK fan.

Excellent! I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it

So close guys! TWO MORE DAYS

JaseC

I hate that there's a ~2 week gap between the US and PAL release dates. I've been waiting for this game since I was 8 years old.

JaseC said:
I hate that there's a ~2 week gap between the US and PAL release dates. I've been waiting for this game since I was 8 years old.

In all honesty I'm glad. Sonic Colours just came out, it's wonderful and taking up a heap of my time. And Black Ops as well. So I'm thankful I have time on my side to get those games nice and completed.

Once Donkey Kong comes out, it'll be me and the sweaty ape alone together for a good while.

JaseC

_Alkaline_ said:
In all honesty I'm glad. Sonic Colours just came out, it's wonderful and taking up a heap of my time. And Black Ops as well. So I'm thankful I have time on my side to get those games nice and completed.

Once Donkey Kong comes out, it'll be me and the sweaty ape alone together for a good while.

I'm hoping Epic Mickey and Black Cops keep me occupied, but I think I'll find myself staring at the calendar, waiting for the days to go by. :lol

Kenka

This is the first time that hardcore players, both on Wii and the HD bros, can look forward to their respective holidays line-up and shout "holy shit !" It's that good :)

JaseC said:
I'm hoping Epic Mickey and Black Cops keeps me occupied, but I think I'll find myself staring at the calendar, waiting for the days to go by. :lol

Glad I'm not the only one calling it that :lol

Edit: ^Oh shit :lol

JaseC

cosmicblizzard said:
Glad I'm not the only one calling it that :lol

Edit: ^Oh shit :lol

Started the day I saw the above photoshop job and haven't stopped since. :lol

JaseC said:
I still kinda like the PAL delay, albeit only when it is rather short. We get the benefit of NTSCers full reviews and opinions before we take a plunge on a £40-£50 game at release so their opinions do help mitigate that risk of buying a stinker. Maybe the delay's not so good for the big games that you know are going to be good (usually Nintendo developed stuff), but for games like Epic Mickey, where I haven't been impressed by the vids, I'd really prefer the benefit of a week or 2 delay just so I can work out whether or not to take advantage of cheap pre-order / day1 releases.

Top Bottom