• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Socreges said:
I've played SMS, SMG, SMG2. I didn't find them particularly difficult, apart from minor, optional sections.
SMS was really hard when collecting blue coins (unfairly hard), and it had many bitchy levels; again, finishing it was not a problem (you need like what? 65 stars?) but completing it is another story. Same argument can be said about SMG and SMG2.
I was more thinking with respect to games developed by Nintendo. Add Pikmin and Mario Kart, for example. Otherwise you're right. There are plenty: Metroid, S&P, F-Zero GX, etc.
Pikmin is another really bad example, you did play it? That game was hard and unforgiving, it was basically designed so that you couldn't finish it in your first playthrough (because of the 30 day limit, which I personally hated). Also, we've not had a Pikmin in ages.

I do agree though that Mario Kart is an easy game, but the same is to be said about Mario Party; but the point of the game is not being difficult; the point of the main game in MK is that you learn to play it so you can play the real game that is playing local multiplayer.

Oxx

* Not developed in UK = -1 point
* No plastic keyboard = -2 points

Retro Studios has done a fine job with the Donkey Kong Country concept, ably translating its appeal for a modern platform, but it doesn't push it much further.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, with the onslaught of fantastic platformers on consoles these days, you can't help but understand how they could be unimpressed.

Oxx

RB3 10
Fable 3 7
NFS HP 9
Ass Creed Bro 8
Fallout NV 6
Bloodstone 5
Goldeneye 8
Create 6
Maijin 7
DKCR 7
Kirby 8
Dance Central 8
Kinect Sports 8
DJ Hero 2 8
Joy Ride 5
Fighters Uncaged 3
Kinect Adventures 6
Kinectimals 7
God of War GoS 8
Sonic Colours 6
The Shoot 5
The Fight 3
Meat Boy 8
No Heroes Allowed 7

Oxx said:
RB3 10
Fable 3 7
NFS HP 9
Ass Creed Bro 8
Fallout NV 6
Bloodstone 5
Goldeneye 8
Create 6
Maijin 7
DKCR 7
Kirby 8
Dance Central 8
Kinect Sports 8
DJ Hero 2 8
Joy Ride 5
Fighters Uncaged 3
Kinect Adventures 6
Kinectimals 7
God of War GoS 8
Sonic Clours 6
The Shoot 5
The Fight 3
Meat Boy 8
No Heroes Allowed 7

Yikes! No EDGE, just...no.

-Eddman-

So, basically... Damn, I don't want to get banned, but the comparison between DK score and Kinect scores is kinda infuriating :lol

I guess they're not so much into the 2D revival stuff.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well if they rated this the same as NSMB Wii then I guess it's a modern classic. Good enough for me.

Kenka

I can't complain rightfully, as I didn't play all these games but scores look a bit weird. I mean, seriously.

But I am ok with 7 although I would have loved a 9 from EDGE.

Amazon.de bonus:

31xsGWBIFeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link

They ship worldwide. PAL Wii-games usually have EN-DE-FR-SP language, so no problem there (I ordered DJ Hero en Mario Galaxy 2 at Amazon.de).

manueldelalas said:
Pikmin is another really bad example, you did play it? That game was hard and unforgiving, it was basically designed so that you couldn't finish it in your first playthrough (because of the 30 day limit, which I personally hated).

just felt the need to point out that I had no problem at all completing it on my initial run...

Chuckie

Notorious_Roy said:
Amazon.de bonus:

31xsGWBIFeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link

They ship worldwide. PAL Wii-games usually have EN-DE-FR-SP language, so no problem there (I ordered DJ Hero en Mario Galaxy 2 at Amazon.de).

Wtf are you supposed to do with the banana?

big_z

Oxx said:
Yeah.

They say level design isn't all that imaginative or varied.

But 7 is good. They gave NSMBW a 7.

thats strange because both ign and rebelFM have said there's tons of level variation. one even compared it to mario galaxy on that respect.

maybe edge doesnt play the games they review? either way well know for sure in a few days

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's on like Metroid Prime™

Good job, Retro! Now please, save Samus.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
upandaway said:
Metroid is the one series that needs help the most right now!

Surely, with some new heroine or some such..!!

Hahaha no.

Seriously you guys are always bitching that Nintendo is the Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokeymen factory but you only want them to work on them all the time.

[Nintex]

upandaway said:
Metroid is the one series that needs help the most right now!

Surely, with some new heroine or some such..!!
Just say that Metroid: Other M never happened and throw Team Ninja under a bus and it might still have a chance.

upandaway

Regulus Tera said:
Hahaha no.

Seriously you guys are always bitching that Nintendo is the Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokeymen factory but you only want them to work on them all the time.
You can't generalize two contradicting complaints into one fanbase. That's not how it works.

I shall welcome a new 2D Metroid by Retro (if DKCR proves to be awesome design-wise), even if it means no Star Tropics or whatever.

[Nintex]

Regulus Tera said:
Hahaha no.

That's because Nintendo fired the people that wanted to work on new IP's.

Oxx said:
RB3 10
Fable 3 7
NFS HP 9
Ass Creed Bro 8
Fallout NV 6
Bloodstone 5
Goldeneye 8
Create 6
Maijin 7
DKCR 7
Kirby 8
Dance Central 8
Kinect Sports 8
DJ Hero 2 8
Joy Ride 5
Fighters Uncaged 3
Kinect Adventures 6
Kinectimals 7
God of War GoS 8
Sonic Colours 6
The Shoot 5
The Fight 3
Meat Boy 8
No Heroes Allowed 7

That's some really piss poor reviews.

Meat Boy and Ass Creed Bro are higher than 8's and Kinect Sports is not even close to an 8...

Whatever.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think Retro has already graduated from Metroid, 2D or not. They deserve to work on something else. I suggest Famicom Detective Club, just because I want that franchise back.

Seriously though, Metroid still sells very well. It hardly needs saving, the fanbase is batshit insane for it.

Hobbun

upandaway said:
You can't generalize two contradicting complaints into one fanbase. That's not how it works.

I shall welcome a new 2D Metroid by Retro (if DKCR proves to be awesome design-wise), even if it means no Star Tropics or whatever.

Have you heard something I haven’t?

Fuck, what I would give for a new StarTropics.

ryan-ts

EDGE! HOW DARE YOOOOU! I'M GOING TO PICK UP THIS GAME REGARDLESS OF YOUR SCORE AND THEN PLAY IT! THIS WILL ALLOW ME TO FORM MY OWN OPINION THEREBY RENDERING YOUR SCORE USELESS WHEN I ENTER A DISCUSSION ABOUT THE OVERALL QUALITY OF DKCR! For now though, I am very upset.

*This is directed towards no one, as no one really seems to care about the score*

Empty

DancingJesus said:
When does the embargo lift anyway for the non-magazine reviews?

Dunno, but the embargo for the sunday release of NSMB Wii went up on the friday before, same for Galaxy 2. So soon, hopefully.

Model 500

EatChildren said:
Twas a 7.

LÖL?

Did they play multiplayer at all? Personally I think 8 is pretty close for a single player score, but playing NSMBWii in multiplayer ranks among the best gaming experiences I've ever had = 10

It's one of the very very very few games that I wanted to go on and on after we 100% with my good friend (actually we still haven't done all the secret goals, but my point was that we were still hoping for new levels and worlds after beating World 9). Downloadable worlds to the next NSMB, make it happen Miaymoto!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Regulus Tera said:
I think Retro has already graduated from Metroid, 2D or not. They deserve to work on something else. I suggest Famicom Detective Club, just because I want that franchise back.

Seriously though, Metroid still sells very well. It hardly needs saving, the fanbase is batshit insane for it.

It doesn't and never really has. Most recently, Other M bombed.

JaseC said:
It doesn't and never really has. Most recently, Other M bombed.

Because it sucked.

Don't hurt me.

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in all the 8.5 scores, I expected a bit higher. Especially coming off the greatness of Metroid Prime.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
DancingJesus said:
Because it sucked.

Don't hurt me.

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in all the 8.5 scores, I expected a bit higher. Especially coming off the greatness of Metroid Prime.

I won't, since I agree. Biggest disappoint of the year thus far (with the year over, it's probably going to hold that title).

Regulus Tera said:
The Prime games are million sellers.

The original did rather well, I'll admit that, but sales dropped sharply thereafter. Prime 2 and 3 ended up, what, 1.5m or so? For a long-established franchise such as Metroid, and when the original did close to double that, I wouldn't consider that selling "very well".

Disappointing sales != bomba

ShockingAlberto said:
...isn't it expected to do like 500k?

500k WW, right? That's... bad. Unless its becomes a pack-in, that number isn't going to go much higher.

Top Bottom