• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

evangd007

ShockingAlberto said:
...isn't it expected to do like 500k?

They wanted 1 million in NA. Reggie claimed that it sold nearly 500k already in NA, but that reaching 1 million before the end of the holiday is not in cards, which is what he wanted.

edit: Other M that is, damn first post on the page.

evangd007 said:
They wanted 1 million in NA. Reggie claimed that it sold nearly 500k already in NA, but that reaching 1 million before the end of the holiday is not in cards, which is what he wanted.
That's not what bomba means, though.

It's like saying a game was a critical failure if it averages an 8.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
evangd007 said:

edit: Other M that is, damn first post on the page.

I'm certain those are WW figures. I find it hard to believe it's done ~500k in the US as it pulled ~170k in September (arguably its debut month, as the game released on August 31st).

farnham

Banned
upandaway said:
Metroid is the one series that needs help the most right now!

Surely, with some new heroine or some such..!!
other m was a damn fine game

i loved the prime series but id prefer other m 2 to prime 4

retro should do other things

like a new IP or maybe duckhunt

LevityNYC

Banned
Does anyone know if you can buy this from Best Buy and return it on Monday when the Amazon.com copy arrives? IT saves 10 bucks.

SuomiDude

So for 39€ I think I should just go and order it, right? I enjoyed Donkey Kong Country on SNES, enjoyed DKC2 on Virtual Console almost as much, so I guess I have nothing to worry about...?

The only Edge worth is this
miles-edgeworth-logo.jpg

Suomidude, go for it. Go-for-it

LevityNYC said:
Does anyone know if you can buy this from Best Buy and return it on Monday when the Amazon.com copy arrives? IT saves 10 bucks.
It works, yes.

Assuming the Amazon copy is not a strange UPC or something.

Hiltz

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but Target is giving away a $10 gift card with the purchase of DKC Returns starting next week.

Bentendo

Hiltz said:
I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but Target is giving away a $10 gift card with the purchase of DKC Returns starting next week.

Can you please give me a source that I can print off and show to them when they claim they don't know what I'm talking about?

ryan-ts

User33 said:
The bashing of Edge magazine is honestly very immature. None of you have played it before, and barely any of you have read the whole text. Now I'm surprised by the score too, but consider that its score is lower then we expected with other review outlets too (Nintendo Power's 8.5 for example). Its possible that this simply isn't the GOTY title some of us were expecting.

No one cared all that much, all they did was reference the fact that NSMB Wii was another platformer that may have received a lower score then it should have. Now if you're referring to my post, I was simply entertaining myself in an attempt to allievate the boredom I was experiencing at that point in time.

Penguin

Hiltz said:

and I believe Toys R Us is giving away a free T-shirt and game guide.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
mclem said:

"Times is 'ard, as we're so often reminded. The newspapers are full of stories about how eight-year-olds will soon be charged 15p per times table learned, while Ireland may be forced to solve its financial crisis by auctioning off Enya. Not even being told we've got to pay for the wedding of the seventh richest young millionaire in Britain is enough to cheer us up.

But here's something which might do the trick: Donkey Kong Country Returns. This isn't a HD remake or a franchise reboot or whatever the heck a redux is. It's simply a new instalment in a classic series.

It's so reminiscent of the original titles you can almost forget this credit crunch nonsense ever happened, and pretend you still live in a world where going to the shops on Sunday is a novelty, saying "Psyche!" is acceptable and a long and successful career lies ahead for Chaka Demus & Pliers. The illusion would be complete if Cranky Kong didn't look so much like Vince Cable."

The fuck? It sounds like one of my OPs.

SuomiDude

Ok, just ordered the game :) Also ordered Golden Sun for DS. Both games for 39€ each. Gonna be a nice rest of the year for gaming :D

Dr.Hadji

Wow, that Eurogamer review was garbage. Too much trying to be cute. Packed with content just slightly more valuable than a preview.

Trurl

Banned
Is Jeremy Parish doing the 1up Review? That's the one I've been looking forward to and it's still not here. >=^[

Bentendo said:
I was just going to post that! Really good (and LOOONG) review.

Haha, I didn't expect it to come out nearly that long--I usually try to keeo them short. But there is just so much to say about that game.

Dr.Hadji

Gamesradar said:
So, that flawless mine cart run up there – pretty slick, huh? Yeah it looks cool when you see it all laid out, but keep in mind you cannot make one single mistake. Any hit, any missed jump is a death, and you’ve got to do it again. These cart levels in DKCR approach Battletoads speed tunnel levels of annoyance, as they repeatedly fail to give you any clues as to what the correct action should be. Jump? Duck? Dodge that or land on it? The only way you’ll know for sure is to try, and probably die in the process.

They link to a video of the run in the review. Gamesradar, its one thing to suck at a game. Its another thing entirely to not realize why you suck. There were so many tells and hints in that mine cart level they should be ashamed. You need some clues heres some clues.

If there are spikes duck.
If there is a pit jump (and if you are unsure when coming to a trickier jump look for the bannana).

Tada.

seady

Rare really proves themselves that they are not just a Metroid Prime-d developer.
Can't wait to see what they do next. Hopefully not have to wait another decade to see something new from them.

seady said:
Rare really proves themselves that they are not just a Metroid Prime-d developer.
Can't wait to see what they do next. Hopefully not have to wait another decade to see something new from them.

I see what you did there.

Those reviews are around as I expected, I need the game now.
Destructoid said:
Not only is the game super-polished (a Retro trademark, in my humble opinion), the level design is unbeatable. UNBEATABLE!

The key to great level design -- especially for a 2D platformer -- is when every jump, every enemy, and every obstacle is perfectly planned and perfectly placed. Nothing is worse than playing a game when everything in the level feels sloppy and not well put together.

The levels in Donkey Kong Country Returns are not only impeccably designed, they are rich with constant “wow” moments that will happen from the first seemingly basic level to the surprising, wholly satisfying final boss.
In Retro we trust! :D :D

giggas

Grabbing the game tonight (little local shop always sells Sunday releases early) but won't get to play it because I have to see Deathly Hallows with my wife tonight. I mean, I want to see Deathly Hallows and all, but I'd rather grab a beer and play DKC all night.

Some different impressions on difficulty in the reviews. Gamesradar thinks the games is sometimes unfair and becomes forced trial and error but Destructoid emphasizes that levels are NEVER unfair. Same with GameXplain.

Can't agree or disagree with either perspective because I haven't played it yet, just find it interesting.

"9.0 Gameplay
A really fun, really tough platformer that builds on the Super NES classic. You want a challenge? You're gonna get it here.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Good luck trying to beat this one 100% in your first week. Seriously, you may beat the game, but you won't finish it so quickly..."

20f3w5k.jpg

Hiltz

As expected, DKCR is going to be one hell of a fun and challenging game.

Retro Studios has the Midas touch!

giggas

MvmntInGrn said:
Some different impressions on difficulty in the reviews. Gamesradar thinks the games is sometimes unfair and becomes forced trial and error but Destructoid emphasizes that levels are NEVER unfair. Same with GameXplain.

Can't agree or disagree with either perspective because I haven't played it yet, just find it interesting.

Ah, some people just suck at video games, especially classically designed platformers.

sdornan

User33 said:
I'm glad that this game is scoring well. Not a masterpiece or anything, but a very solid game that'll end up with 85% or so on Gamerankings/Metacritic which GAF will likely agree with.
I'm thinking high 80s, low 90s.

Downhome

I hear some people are getting this game at Kmart using two $10 off coupons. Where in the world are those at? Regardless, I'm getting this Sunday for sure!

Top Bottom