• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Socreges

Banned
I'm confused and deeply concerned. I just read the IGN review and secret/bonus barrels were not mentioned. Worse yet, they spoke of 100%ing the game, but nothing of the barrels. I was convinced for some reason that they WERE in the game.

Someone please tell me they're in there. Tell me everything is going to be... OK.

udivision

Socreges said:
I'm confused and deeply concerned. I just read the IGN review and secret/bonus barrels were not mentioned. Worse yet, they spoke of 100%ing the game, but nothing of the barrels. I was convinced for some reason that they WERE in the game.

Someone please tell me they're in there. Tell me everything is going to be... OK.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen anything about secret bonus barrels. I have seen a lot of secret though. I think they focused more on integrating that stuff into the levels themself, considering how dynamic they are.

Socreges said:

I'm someone, and they're there =)

And they function just like the classic bonus room barrels. The reason most reviews haven't mentioned/shown them is because we can't talk about how to obtain specific puzzle pieces or KONG letters.

redbarchetta said:
I'm soneone, and they're there =)

And they function just like the classic bonus room barrels. The reason most reviews haven't mentioned/shown them is because we can't talk about how to obtain specific puzzle pieces or KONG letters.
Good to know. I figured it was something like that.

Socreges

Banned
redbarchetta said:
I'm someone, and they're there =)

:)

Thank you

Fuck I'm going to love this game raw

hatchx

Banned
Just played the first few levels...pretty godly.

I've TRIED to have problems with the controls (I know the roll VS ground pound thing was a complaint) but no problems on my end.

Game is just absolutely gorgeous. Nothing seems to repeat, ever, and from what I've played it is 100% eye candy.

Rich!

hatchx said:

I've TRIED to have problems with the controls (I know the roll VS ground pound thing was a complaint) but no problems on my end.

Game is just absolutely gorgeous. Nothing seems to repeat, ever, and from what I've played it is 100% eye candy.

Wait, how? It's not out yet. Got a review copy?

sfried

Thunder Monkey said:
God I'm so aroused right now.

B71El.gif
Uh...yeah...

To think this comes out on Sunday...and I haven't yet laid a finger on 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors yet...When the hell will I have time to enjoy all these games?

Come on!

It's a new fucking DKC!

This time made by a better developer!

Rare was great in their time, but this is from the studio that made Metroid fucking Prime!

Rock hard right here, hasn't went down since the game was announced.

A 9.0 for graphics IGN? Anyway.....the Destructoid review is so ridiculously positive!

Oh and all the comments on how challenging this is is making me horny! Bring it on!

hatchx said:

**chokes on drool**

Rich!

Big One said:
Just to save a member from banning here, but I hear some stores are selling it early.

Yeah, I have to wait two weeks! goddamn UK. :lol

I'm just hoping someone who isnt restrained by embargo rules can bring up some new details.

TheExodu5

Banned
richisawesome said:
Wait, how? It's not out yet. Got a review copy?

Seeing as how we're at the end of the shipping week, and the game releases in a few days, it's very probably some people got it early.

D-Pad

Did I read somewhere that Target was giving a $free 10 gift-card with DKC:R? I can't seem to find the post anymore...

Nabs

hatchx said:

can i come over? i'll bring food.

Seems like this could be 2nd only to the Galaxy games in terms of Nintendo branded games this gen. Looks absolutely fantastic.

The GamesRadar review made me smile though. They absolutely hate the Wii and the review reads positive through gritted teeth, although they do get a few obvious digs in here and there and even save enough room at the end for another attack on NSMBWii.

D-Pad

The M.O.B said:
I would like to know this too, I don't see it on CAG or on Targets website.

EDIT: NVM its here

Thank you!! :D

Donkey Kong Country Returns $49.99 w/ free $10 Gift Card, picking this up first thing Sunday!

hatchx

Banned
Just check mom and pop stores, a lot of them will sell today.

I'm on the 2nd world now. I can feel the difficulty ramp up. I don't know whether I should be embarrassed I died about ten times on the first boss....but I was being careless.

I still don't get the rolling/stomping complaint. You have to have the analog full lock right or left then shake to roll. I also noticed you have to use both the nunchuck and wii remote to keep it lasting. If you have Diddy, you can roll forever and your continually shaking both. It's a lot of fun.

The game, so far, reminds me a lot of Galaxy in the visuals. It's brimming with life and motion everywhere you look. Everything shakes, explodes, and animates. I've only played single player, but I have some friends coming over to try the multiplayer.

It appears to be pretty generous on the handouts so far. I have like 30 lives and 75+ coins and I'm on world 2. I think that will change as it gets harder, as I said, it's easy to die, especially when reaching for the bonuses. I havn't cleared a single level on 100% yet. The levels are BRIMMING with secrets. Yes I used the word brimming twice.

My only real disappointment so far is the overworld. Just that I'd rather see DK walk from level to level rather than a coin with his picture on it. A little less immersive I guess, but not a big deal.

But yeah, so far this is the amazing AAA product you'd expect from Nintendo and Retro. From what I can tell, it's to the DKC series what Mario Galaxy was to the 3D mario series. I'm only on the 2nd world and I don't see why Retro isn't full steam on DKC2.

Any questions?

hatchx said:
But yeah, so far this is the amazing AAA product you'd expect from Nintendo and Retro. From what I can tell, it's to the DKC series what Mario Galaxy was to the 3D mario series.

I just finished watching the IGN Video Review and now I read this! As a massive Donkey Kong Country and Retro Studios fan my hype could not be higher at the moment! So excited!

aechris

Got my copy today, and I'm just going to stop in and reconfirm what a lot of people have said already.

#1 - It's pretty hard, but never cheap. It's a good hard.
#2 - It's awesome.

:D

Nabs

Kard8p3 said:
I need this game.

When can we expect your review? Over the last year your site has become one of my favorites.
Thanks man! :)

Unfortunately, I got a slightly late start on it (crazy week), so it might not be up until Sunday morning. I am shooting for tomorrow night, but I really don't want to rush it. We'll see!

Thanks very much for the kind words by the way... they mean a lot.

Top Bottom