• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Trurl

Banned
I am so excited to play a solid and difficult 2d platformer. :-D

There are joys that can only come from a videogame that is willing to abuse you now and then.

Amir0x

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Super Meat Boy is not that notable in difficulty anyway. In today's age sure.

Yes, SMB is notable difficult. Ridiculous. Only a few frustration platformers really exist, and they're all the hardest of the hard (N+, VVVVV, etc)

DKCR is not a frustration platformer.

Amir0x said:
Yes, SMB is notable difficult. Ridiculous. Only a few frustration platformers really exist, and they're all the hardest of the hard (N+, VVVVV, etc)
Frustrating as unfair or just challenging? I'm quite interested in getting SMB when it comes out for PC, since I don't own a X360.

Tricky I Shadow said:
The gameplay = bliss! And just like Nabs said....it looks like platforming perfection!
It's looking really great, very polished and fun. It's a good year for platformers, the best genre in gaming in my opinion.

Twig

Banned
Amir0x said:

I dunno, I found VVVVVV pretty easy. Relative to most, as you call them, frustration platformers. I guess it's true that it has a similar style of design (single-screen "levels", many deaths), but I found it much less, heh, frustrating. U:

But, you're still right. Though I haven't played it, yet (PC RELEASE ALMOST HERE), if Super Meat Boy is half as hard as N, or the similar free indie PC platformers like the Jumper series (fucking Jumper Two fucking fuck) then it's already harder than most platformers in existence.

Amir0x

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
Frustrating as unfair or just challenging? I'm quite interested in getting SMB when it comes out for PC, since I don't own a X360.

Never, never unfair. The controls are just about perfect, the level design is just amazingly refined... constantly turning expectations on their ear as you try for best times to realize you've been playing levels the wrong/hard way.

It's just, Super Meat Boy is hard and it requires skill. To 100% the game, it's immensely difficult. To say the game isn't "notable difficult" is simply to mislead potential buyers... it's very hard and if you're the type that doesn't like any frustration, then you shouldn't get it. But the game mitigates some of that by having infinite lives, so even though you die, you'll be able to start a second later all over again. It's a constant feedback loop where you think "well damn I can do that about a few seconds better, but what if I jumped off that wall and make it between those blades with about 2 pixel length precision... could I make that? HOLY SHIT I MADE THAT!"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do we know yet if exclamation marks are added to the names of those levels which you've completed?

L00P

This game makes me wonder how things would turn out if Retro went with a side-scrolling Metroid instead:lol

Amir0x said:

But certainly not among the hardest going around. In this day and age sure, but games like SMB appeared all the time twenty years ago. Even something like Ghosts n Goblins is tougher than SMB.

Though I'll add that SMB's difficulty is far preferable. There's satisfying challenge, then there's masochism.

Amir0x

Banned
GnG is harder, but it's also not strictly a platformer the way SMB is. GnG is like an action game with moments of platforming.

Amir0x said:
GnG is harder, but it's also not strictly a platformer the way SMB is. GnG is like an action game with moments of platforming.

Yeah, I'll give you that.

SMB is just another example of how good the revival of the platformer has been. One of the best genres the industry has to offer, and to think it nearly fell into obscurity.

Amir0x said:
Never, never unfair. The controls are just about perfect, the level design is just amazingly refined... constantly turning expectations on their ear as you try for best times to realize you've been playing levels the wrong/hard way.

It's just, Super Meat Boy is hard and it requires skill. To 100% the game, it's immensely difficult. To say the game isn't "notable difficult" is simply to mislead potential buyers... it's very hard and if you're the type that doesn't like any frustration, then you shouldn't get it. But the game mitigates some of that by having infinite lives, so even though you die, you'll be able to start a second later all over again. It's a constant feedback loop where you think "well damn I can do that about a few seconds better, but what if I jumped off that wall and make it between those blades with about 2 pixel length precision... could I make that? HOLY SHIT I MADE THAT!"
Excellent. I really love challenging platformers that aren't unfair, gives me a feeling of satisfaction when I beat some of the hardest levels. You gave the game another sale!

I should note that SMB is fuckin' hard. For me it's almost the perfect balance, particularly as there isn't much in the way of punishment for failure. It gives you motivation to persist without holding your hand. Good stuff.

Not that I feel significant challenge is a pre-requisite of the genre. I've loved many platformers that are light on difficulty. In fact I'm playing one right now (Sonic Colours). Absolutely adore it even though it's pretty hard to die. Plus SEGA provides extra challenge and incentive through S-ranks, challenge modes and the red coins, similar to what NSMB did.

I'll be interested to see what I think of Kirby, it doesn't come out here until next year and the general opinion is that even getting 100% is a walk in the park. Which is a bit different to Good Feel's last game.

Salsa

shwimpy said:

Man, same thing with the GiantBomb quicklook, they keep complaining how its uncomfortable to shake the wiimote while holding it sideways. You can play the game with nunchuck + mote people, im sure it makes shaking a lot easier. They dont even mention it.

cornontheCoD said:
Have any of the reviews mentioned the music? That is what I am really curious about.
So far, I'm loving it. About the only downer is the distinctly MIDI sound, but if that doesn't bother you too much, the composition is great. Much of it is remixed/rearranged versions of the classic DKC themes however.

cornontheCoD said:
Have any of the reviews mentioned the music? That is what I am really curious about.
Gamexplain said that they found the music a little disappointing, but that you didn't take their word for it. You will have to wait until you play the game.

othersteve said:
So far, I'm loving it. About the only downer is the distinctly MIDI sound, but if that doesn't bother you too much, the composition is great. Much of it is remixed/rearranged versions of the classic DKC themes however.
8hKl8.png

Really?

-Eddman-

I really hope reviewers bash the music :lol . Yeah, the arrangements are awesome, but with enough complaining we will make Retro and Nintendo bring David Wise for the sequel...

cornontheCoD said:
I have to know: is Stickerbrush Symphony in? It has to be, doesn't it?

I was under the impression that only tracks from the original were remixed?

Forest Interlude was always better anyway.

PusherT

Isn't this Donkey Kong "the DK with the tie" really Donkey Kong Jr. the son of the origninal DK? If so would Donkey Kong be considered a hero (DKC series/Joungle best/King of Swing series) or Villian (Mario vs Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Series)?

Donkey Kong still has a thing for princess as seen in Mini Land Mayhem:D

Hobbun

Nah. I would think he's still the original Donkey Kong. Unless the story of him aging is built into the game, video game characters don't age.

I mean look at Mario. :)

Hobbun said:
Nah. I would think he's still the original Donkey Kong. Unless the story of him aging is built into the game, video game characters don't age.

I mean look at Mario. :)

But it is built into the game as that's the crux of Cranky Kong's entire character.

Hobbun

RawkHawk2010 said:
But it is built into the game as that's the crux of Cranky Kong's entire character.

Oh ok, there you go then.

Sorry, didn't remember the stories on the old DKC's and what this story involves exactly.

PusherT said:
Isn't this Donkey Kong "the DK with the tie" really Donkey Kong Jr. the son of the origninal DK?

Cranky claims to be the "original" Donkey Kong. According to the Donkey Kong Country instruction book, Cranky is the grandfather of the "new" Donkey Kong. However, this is contradicted in Donkey Kong 64 when Cranky refers to the new Donkey Kong as his "good for nothing son." This contradition—in of itself—is enough to raise suspicion. The fact that the "new" Donkey Kong with appears alongside Donkey Kong Jr. in Mario Tennis on the N64 makes things even more suspicious. After all, if the "new" Donkey Kong was really Donkey Kong Jr., then his son would be Donkey Kong the III. The pieces just don't add up. The only logical conclusion is that the Donkey Kong from the DKC games is, in fact, the same Donkey Kong from the original 1981 arcade game. I maintain that Cranky Kong is senile. He probably just makes things up. Don't believe his lies.

EzLink

Banned
I wish some of these reviews would comment on how the difficulty is COMPARED to that of the original trilogy. I've seen a couple reviews mention how the difficulty is reminiscent of the mine cart levels in the original trilogy... levels that, while pretty challenging at times, never gave me too much of a headache.

For the people here that have already beaten it... is this the hardest game in the series yet, or is it basically on par with the trickiest parts of the original trilogy?

Kard8p3 said:
Gamespy review
http://wii.gamespy.com/wii/donkey-kong-country-returns/1135968p1.html

It got a 3.5. They list the difficulty as the main con of the game.

Gamespy said:
I'll be honest: I Super Guided eight of the game's 62 main levels (die 10 times, and a CPU-controlled stand-in will optionally finish the problem area for you, similar to New SMB Wii).
Jesus Christ. The first paragraphs are just about the game being too difficult if you don't have Diddy. First review I read with that complain.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Jesus Christ. The first paragraphs are just about the game being too difficult if you don't have Diddy. First review I read with that complain.

Oh boy....

I really hate the media sometimes. I'd love to see that guy give Super Meat Boy a whiff.

totowhoa

Banned
hopefully walmart has this tomorrow night at 12:20 or so, as Gamestop won't be doing any late night release. I'll give it a shot I guess. I'm so pumped for this game. Was going to do a perfect run through 1 and 2, but I haven't had the time. Only 80% done with 1 and just beat the final boss. I'll probably just let it rest and pick up the new asap. :D I'm excited. Hopefully playing through SMB recently won't affect my thoughts... because I just finished a pretty damn hard platformer.

Kard8p3

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Is that counting the bonus levels as officially they said there were more than 70???

And I don't mean bonus levels during levels, I mean unlockables.

I'm pretty sure its just the minimum amount of levels you have to play to get to the end.

Kard8p3 said:
I'm pretty sure its just the minimum amount of levels you have to play to get to the end.

Yeah, probably, plus as anyone that loves the series knows, running through and completing the levels is not what it's really all about, I heard it will take more than weeks to get everything in each level.

TheExodu5

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Super Meat Boy is not that notable in difficulty anyway. In today's age sure.

Uh, in any age. It's definitely one of the hardest platformers ever made.

_Alkaline_ said:
But certainly not among the hardest going around. In this day and age sure, but games like SMB appeared all the time twenty years ago. Even something like Ghosts n Goblins is tougher than SMB.

Though I'll add that SMB's difficulty is far preferable. There's satisfying challenge, then there's masochism.

If GnG had infinite lives like SMB, then SMB would be harder.

Kard8p3

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Yeah, probably, plus as anyone that loves the series knows, running through and completing the levels is not what it's really all about, I heard it will take more than weeks to get everything in each level.

Yeah you have the kong letters like always but from what I've seen there's anywhere from 5 to 9 puzzle pieces in each level so yeah the game will keep you busy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Coolio McAwesome said:
Cranky claims to be the "original" Donkey Kong. According to the Donkey Kong Country instruction book, Cranky is the grandfather of the "new" Donkey Kong. However, this is contradicted in Donkey Kong 64 when Cranky refers to the new Donkey Kong as his "good for nothing son." This contradition—in of itself—is enough to raise suspicion. The fact that the "new" Donkey Kong with appears alongside Donkey Kong Jr. in Mario Tennis on the N64 makes things even more suspicious. After all, if the "new" Donkey Kong was really Donkey Kong Jr., then his son would be Donkey Kong the III. The pieces just don't add up. The only logical conclusion is that the Donkey Kong from the DKC games is, in fact, the same Donkey Kong from the original 1981 arcade game. I maintain that Cranky Kong is senile. He probably just makes things up. Don't believe his lies.

Cranky's just suffering from Alzheimer's.

TheExodu5 said:

Guess you're just weaksauce then.

Kidding.

But seriously.

Just kidding.

Or am I?

I don't know anymore.

Salsa

Sgt.Pepper said:

Yeah, sounds like they wanted to speed up things to have the review on time.

rpmurphy

TheExodu5 said:
In today's age, the hardest platformers are user-made on custom level editors. They're also unfun, linear, and bland. I don't get this frustration platformer trend.

TheExodu5

Banned
rpmurphy said:
In today's age, the hardest platformers are user-made on custom level editors. They're also unfun, linear, and bland. I don't get this frustration platformer trend.

Super Meat Boy is anything but unfun or bland. I don't see what's so wrong about a linear platformer...all of my favorite platformers are linear:

SMW
Yoshi's Island
DKC2
NSMB Wii
Super Meat Boy

Super Meat Boy is fun because it's extremely quick and rewarding, and controls like a dream. It's very addictive, wanting to perfect your run through the level. Everything flows together incredibly well thanks to the phenomenal level design.

Trackmania is actually quite similar.

Top Bottom