• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

rpmurphy said:
In today's age, the hardest platformers are user-made on custom level editors. They're also unfun, linear, and bland. I don't get this frustration platformer trend.

What did it start with anyway?

I mean hard-as-balls platformers have always been around but user-made and indie ones have definitely risen in quantity and popularity as of late.

TheExodu5 said:
Super Meat Boy is anything but unfun or bland. I don't see what's so wrong about a linear platformer...all of my favorite platformers are linear:

SMW
Yoshi's Island
DKC2
NSMB Wii
Super Meat Boy

You have excellent taste in platformers...

Only missing SMB3. :p

vazel

Banned
Wasn't it agreed upon by the GAF hivemind that the reason the Mario Galaxy games are better than Mario64(and Sunshine lol) is that platformers work better when they're linear.

TheExodu5

Banned
DancingJesus said:
You have excellent taste in platformers...

Only missing SMB3. :p

If SMB3 were recreated to have replayable levels, I'd include it on the list. The fact that going through the levels is a one time affair as you progress to the end game kind of sours me on it.

"Oh man, that level was fun! Let's do it again! Oh :("

Replayability is key for me with platformers, and I wasn't of proper age when SMB3 was popular, so I never got to experience as many of you did.

Balb

TheExodu5 said:
If SMB3 were recreated to have replayable levels, I'd include it on the list. The fact that going through the levels is a one time affair as you progress to the end game kind of sours me on it.

"Oh man, that level was fun! Let's do it again! Oh :("

Replayability is key for me with platformers, and I wasn't of proper age when SMB3 was popular, so I never got to experience as many of you did.

Can't you replay them in the GBA version?

rpmurphy

TheExodu5 said:
Super Meat Boy is anything but unfun or bland. I don't see what's so wrong about a linear platformer...all of my favorite platformers are linear:

SMW
Yoshi's Island
DKC2
NSMB Wii
Super Meat Boy
It's not just about the linearity. When platformers are made built specifically on what expert jumps, timed jumps, walljumps, etc. that the designer wants the player to make to complete the level, it takes away exploration, creative and variety gameplay. It's the reason why although I like SMG, I also like SM64 more in ways. It's the reason why I like Spelunky's random generation, because I never know what to expect.

Poyunch

rpmurphy said:
It's not just about the linearity. When platformers are made built specifically on what expert jumps, timed jumps, walljumps, etc. that the designer wants the player to make to complete the level, it takes away exploration, creative and variety gameplay. It's the reason why although I like SMG, I also like SM64 more in ways. It's the reason why I like Spelunky's random generation, because I never know what to expect.
That's just another way of platforming. You prefer the more open ended approach as opposed to skill/timing based platforming. And there's still opportunities to have varied and creative gameplay while still being based on what you've said. SMB's proof of this.

Coolio McAwesome said:
Cranky claims to be the "original" Donkey Kong. According to the Donkey Kong Country instruction book, Cranky is the grandfather of the "new" Donkey Kong. However, this is contradicted in Donkey Kong 64 when Cranky refers to the new Donkey Kong as his "good for nothing son." This contradition—in of itself—is enough to raise suspicion. The fact that the "new" Donkey Kong with appears alongside Donkey Kong Jr. in Mario Tennis on the N64 makes things even more suspicious. After all, if the "new" Donkey Kong was really Donkey Kong Jr., then his son would be Donkey Kong the III. The pieces just don't add up. The only logical conclusion is that the Donkey Kong from the DKC games is, in fact, the same Donkey Kong from the original 1981 arcade game. I maintain that Cranky Kong is senile. He probably just makes things up. Don't believe his lies.

If you think the DKC DK and Arcade DK are one in the same, the entire point of the character is lost. Cranky was a stubborn brute that whisked away maidens, raided greenhouses, and pretty much did whatever he wanted, while DK Jr. is marginally more passive and usually only jumps to action when he or his banana hoard is provoked. Cranky, naturally, criticizes this to no end.

DK Jr. and DK being in Mario Tennis together isn't really an area of concern, considering Baby Mario is also in that game.

Salsa

QQ: if i play this on my old ctr tv, will i get big black bars at the top and bottom ?

I do appreciate the fact that the camera zooms out in multiplayer. The lack of this was my main problem with MP in Epic Yarn.

farnham said:
so cranky is the original DK
DK in DKC is DKJ
DK in DKCR is DK the Third

whats up with didi then ?

Nah, DKC DK and DKCR DK are the same ape. They're both DK Jr.

Rare claims they always meant for Cranky to be DK's dad despite previous grandpa/grandson references. I just like to think Cranky can't remember/doesn't care enough about whether or not Jr. is his son or grandson.

Yay senility!

Guys, I still can’t believe that we are so close to a new Donkey Kong Country after all these years of waiting! :D

Not only that, but a damn good one by the sound of things! I’m so happy right now! **sniff** Someone hold me.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Coolio McAwesome said:
Cranky claims to be the "original" Donkey Kong. According to the Donkey Kong Country instruction book, Cranky is the grandfather of the "new" Donkey Kong. However, this is contradicted in Donkey Kong 64 when Cranky refers to the new Donkey Kong as his "good for nothing son." This contradition—in of itself—is enough to raise suspicion. The fact that the "new" Donkey Kong with appears alongside Donkey Kong Jr. in Mario Tennis on the N64 makes things even more suspicious. After all, if the "new" Donkey Kong was really Donkey Kong Jr., then his son would be Donkey Kong the III. The pieces just don't add up. The only logical conclusion is that the Donkey Kong from the DKC games is, in fact, the same Donkey Kong from the original 1981 arcade game. I maintain that Cranky Kong is senile. He probably just makes things up. Don't believe his lies.

This can be easily explained with TIME TRAVEL.

Both Mario and Baby Mario appear in various sports games. Who's to say Donkey Kong's past self isn't teaming up with his present self?

hatchx

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Guys, I still can’t believe that we are so close to a new Donkey Kong Country after all these years of waiting! :D

Not only that, but a damn good one by the sound of things! I’m so happy right now! **sniff** Someone hold me.

It's damn amazing. Not just damn good.

I'm at world 5 now. Haven't completed a single level with all secrets yet. It gets crazier with each level.

This is definitely one of the hardest 2D platformers ever. The hardest DKC easily. I think it's because the game keeps throwing so much random and incredible shit at you, you really get caught up. The mine cart levels are especially difficult. Playing co-op is even harder. I like challenge so I'm happy this is so hard.

So far this stands next to SMG2 as my GOTY. I'd lean on the reviewers who gave it 9.5/10 rather than 8.5/9.0. Then again, I'm only on world 5.

farnham

Banned
hatchx said:
It's damn amazing. Not just damn good.

I'm at world 5 now. Haven't completed a single level with all secrets yet. It gets crazier with each level.

This is definitely one of the hardest 2D platformers ever. The hardest DKC easily. I think it's because the game keeps throwing so much random and incredible shit at you, you really get caught up. The mine cart levels are especially difficult. Playing co-op is even harder. I like challenge so I'm happy this is so hard.

So far this stands next to SMG2 as my GOTY. I'd lean on the reviewers who gave it 9.5/10 rather than 8.5/9.0. Then again, I'm only on world 5.
wut harder then DKC2 ?

okay im out i will probably hurt someone and damage my wii if i play this :D :D

hatchx

Banned
farnham said:
wut harder then DKC2 ?

okay im out i will probably hurt someone and damage my wii if i play this :D :D

I'd say much harder than DKC2. One mine cart level in this game is basically all the mine cart levels in all of DKC1 and 2, and it's ten times more crazy/awesome. The game also constantly tempts you with dangerous secrets you'll die continually over just to grab.

It's really tough.

Vespene

hatchx said:
This is definitely one of the hardest 2D platformers ever.

GdX42.jpg

hatchx said:
I'd say much harder than DKC2. One mine cart level in this game is basically all the mine cart levels in all of DKC1 and 2, and it's ten times more crazy/awesome. The game also constantly tempts you with dangerous secrets you'll die continually over just to grab.

It's really tough.

How are the boss fights?

They were completely underwhelmenton in the original, a solid improvement in DKC2 and genuinely great in DKC3.

Vespene

This game is easier than MW2 on veteran, which wasn't that hard to begin with.

As a platformer? I find getting all the stars on SMG2 harder than this. Exceptional game on its own merits though. Better than Kirby.

hatchx

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Hatchx:

How often can you save your game?

How are you liking the music so far?

So is this one better than DKC2? :D

1. I think it saves after every level you beat.

2. The music is great, seems to mostly be throwbacks. Nothing seems to be as chilling or moody as some of the classic ones (you know the ones), probably because this game is less moody overall. It's more explosion-crazy.

3. Better than DKC2? It's hard to compare two games where one has nostalgic value from my childhood. Is Galaxy better than Super Mario World? Is Metroid Prime better than Super Metroid? How can one ever say? The fact that I can't answer that is a testament to how damn good this game is. Retro knows what they're doing.

hatchx

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Are the mine cart levels the highlight for you or are there too many to say????

There are a lot of mine cart levels. The one I just beat was very tricky and very awesome. It's sometimes tricky to guage whether DK is 'tethered' to the cart or not. Sometimes he is and sometimes hes not. The one I just did had me and my friend saying 'woah' the entire time. It was explosively awesome.

_Alkaline_ said:
Echoes is better than Prime.

Well that's certainly arguable.

Maffis

Super Metroid is the best Metroid game.

How is the rolling in the game? Gametrailers complained a little about having to shake the remote to roll. Is it clunky?

farnham

Banned
GT Vespene said:
This game is easier than MW2 on veteran, which wasn't that hard to begin with.

As a platformer? I find getting all the stars on SMG2 harder than this. Exceptional game on its own merits though. Better than Kirby.
comparing FPS and 3D platformers with 2D platformers... okay

God, I wish they'd given us the option to have proper controls (e.g. classic controller with DKC controls) or shake. It totally removes the immersion for me when I have to swing my arm like a fucking windmill just to do a move.

Vespene

Maffis said:

How is the rolling in the game? Gametrailers complained a little about having to shake the remote to roll. Is it clunky?

There's a slight delay from your thought of rolling to you actually seeing it on screen. Its not as responsive as SMG's twist double jump.

hatchx

Banned
Maffis said:

I don't have any problems with it. You use it a lot, along with ground pounding, so shaking the controllers is a big part of the game. It feels like Retro not only took a hand from DKC, but from Jungle Beat as well. There's definitely a lot of banging, so I hope you guys are ready for it. I like it.

The rolling to jump takes a little getting used to. It's not as lose and free as the old one, a roll then jump sends you somewhat of a long-jump, and once initiated it is easy to overshoot the target. It's just a matter of learning and mastering the controls, like any game.

It's fine.

hatchx

Banned
GT Vespene said:
I guess I'm better at the D-Pad and hatchx is better with analog sticks. :D

I think it's because I've been playing a lot of co-operative too. It really makes the game a whole lot harder. Your lives go from 4 to 2, DK loses the ability to hover, and you lose the ability to infinity-roll.

I found SMG2 fairly easy.

Kard8p3

The only truly hard part of SMG2 for me was getting the last couple stars. It seems like this game will be quite a bit harder. Some sites have rated the game lower for being too hard so I don't see it being easier than SMG2.

Top Bottom