• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
daakusedo said:
And talking about the shake for the roll, does it feel right like the spin for Mario in NSMBW?

As I see some videos, I'm happy to see that like Metroid prime and all its rooms designed uniquely, a same level as different designed portions and not just some tweaks.
Did you not see my post above? It becomes second nature quickly if you're using Nunchuk. Wiimote is a bit awkward as its a two handed motion, nunchuk is as simple as lightly hitting the drums on rockband.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that people like the game.

There was a lot of doom & gloom when some people left - their strengths varied depending on who described them; they could be "key personnel," "the heads of the company," "the entire Metroid Prime team," or "everyone good in the studio."

Knowing the guys who are still left at Retro, they took a lot of that seeming frustration to heart, but I think it translated in to working harder to prove they were more than just two or three people. You can't fire a company ethos about making sure nothing looks or feels the same twice.

I wonder if people will keep repeating the "Everyone talented left" talking point still.

daakusedo

Lathentar said:
Did you not see my post above? It becomes second nature quickly if you're using Nunchuk. Wiimote is a bit awkward as its a two handed motion, nunchuk is as simple as lightly hitting the drums on rockband.

I really think that it will be effective with me, so I have to wait now to play.
I imagined that a bit like bowling, Donkey kong being the ball of course.

hatchx

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Kind of related: does anybody have the Donkey Kong font?

No. It's classic. It's from the 80's dude.

I think the game is mostly difficult on co-op mode. It's significantly harder. Single player gives you a big advantage.

I'm at world six, definitely my GOTY. I don't understand any of the complaints about repetitive bosses or the controls (they do take getting used to, DK is a lot more weighty).

I'm excited to see the frothing of this game when it hits tomorrow (and for years to come). It really is a gorgeous game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Having watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look, it already looks like this game is better than any of the other DKCs. Looks like it has better controls (apart from the waggle) and more interesting gameplay mechanics to me. I'm not particularly nostalgic about the old games, but this looks pretty ace.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dammit, tomorrow is too soon. I don't get paid until Friday so I'm gonna have to go out on Black Friday and try to fight through crowds of sickos just to get my DK.

if it's cool I'm gonna have to ask you guys to wait 5 days to play so I don't feel left out, this is important

D-Pad

I'm buying first thing tomorrow morning but I'll wait for you
and then brag about how far I got.

...W
0 :)
...M

AniHawk

ShockingAlberto said:
I wonder if people will keep repeating the "Everyone talented left" talking point still.

Or alternatively, maybe they got a lot better. Since Metroid Prime, their games have been steadily improving, so maybe the people who made stupid design decisions are gone.

Wikipedia says Bryan Walker is a producer for DKCR. Is that true? He was the producer for Echoes and Corruption.

loosus

Banned
From the videos, it looks like -- other than the waggle controls -- the music is definitely the weakest link.

Should've given David Wise the big bucks, Nintendo.

Socreges

Banned
The fuck.... who besides me had no idea that the DKC3 GBA port actually had an entirely new world (Pacifica) included??

I wonder if David Wise would have necessarily worked on DKCR, even if he was asked. He does practically nothing outside of Rare games.

The music seems fine.

I don't think many of you would open mindedly find it favorable to that other guy's anyway but feel lucky they did so many remixes, they didn't have to.

Two things about the music I note:

It's not as atmospheric or moody and it's often really subtle.....which to be honest, I find unique and elegant.

AniHawk said:
Or alternatively, maybe they got a lot better. Since Metroid Prime, their games have been steadily improving, so maybe the people who made stupid design decisions are gone.

Wikipedia says Bryan Walker is a producer for DKCR. Is that true? He was the producer for Echoes and Corruption.

I agree, they improved.

They went from fantastic designers to stupendously amazing designers over the course of a few games.

Bryan Walker is one of the top people at Retro. I think his title is something like Director of Creative Development.

On a personal note, I am pleased to see that your wretched sense of taste is slowly improving.

Now you just need to stop watching children cartoons on Cartoon Network.

Mockingbird said:

That was a really nice review! And hell yeah! Yet another perfect score! Keep them coming! :D

Vanille said:
So here's the much anticipated Aquatic Ambiance remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGbTVjLslI

Eh... not feeling it at all.

It's definitely a massive downgrade from the original....but I still think it’s good if you don't compare the two.

hatchx

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
That was a really nice review! And hell yeah! Yet another perfect score! Keep them coming! :D

You are going to love this game Tricky I Shadow. It's definitely the best looking (and perhaps the best) 2D platformer ever.

Hiltz

I just read your review and really thought it was informative, detailed, and well written.

Thanks for showing off one of the Golden Temple levels too.

To anyone who has played the game, are there any beaver, killer bees, and vulture enemies like in the first game? I know the Kremlins have been taken out.

I ordered this game from Newegg, and in exchange for spending about $10 less, I need to wait a couple extra days for it. :( At least I didn't have to wait a long time for this game. I don't want to relive Twilight Princess and Smash Brawl...

Vanille said:
So here's the much anticipated Aquatic Ambiance remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGbTVjLslI

Eh... not feeling it at all.
I like it.

I also like the beach music at the beginning. The bass reminds me of Super Nintendo bass for some reason.

Edit:
From the NintendoLife review:
It's also worth mentioning that there are a huge number of tracks used throughout the game, so you're never going to find yourself tiring of hearing the same song.
I think I will be very happy.

Great review OtherSteve! I really like reading your reviews...you're one of the few who actually stay consistent. Good work! :D

hatchx said:
You are going to love this game Tricky I Shadow. It's definitely the best looking (and perhaps the best) 2D platformer ever.

Man, I haven’t been this excited for a game probably since Resident Evil 4! Donkey Kong Country made by Retro Studios = !!!!!

By the way...how's the manual for the game? Does it have pretty pictures of all the locations and enemies like the old ones did?

Tricky I Shadow said:
By the way...how's the manual for the game? Does it have pretty pictures of all the locations and enemies like the old ones did?

It's a shame that manuals have become somewhat obsolete, especially with those lengthy tutorials in-game.

Cranky would scoff at this saying real champions back in his day read books.

D-Pad

othersteve said:
Anyway, I've just posted my full review of the game!

I hope you all enjoy it. The game is seriously phenomenal.

Great review! :D The video clip doesn't appear until a paragraph below its caption, however. :p

Speaking of the video clip, that's the first clip in which I've noticed how smooth the game runs. I'm not a framerate person and I could never really tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. This game is running at 60fps?

jett

D-Member
Yamamoto's interpretation of Aquatic Ambience is fine but it doesn't really fit the stage at all. :p Probably would've been better put to use in one of the silhouette levels.

D-Pad said:
Great review! :D The video clip doesn't appear until a paragraph below its caption, however. :p

Speaking of the video clip, that's the first clip in which I've noticed how smooth the game runs. I'm not a framerate person and I could never really tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. This game is running at 60fps?
Yes it is, but you wouldn't be able to tell from watching a youtube video, since all youtube videos are encoded at 30fps.

AniHawk

JasonUresti said:
Bryan Walker is one of the top people at Retro. I think his title is something like Director of Creative Development.

Probably. He was a producer when I met him in 2004.

Now you just need to stop watching children cartoons on Cartoon Network.

I haven't done that in a long time. I do watch Genndy Tartatovsky cartoons though, which are for Manly Men and the Enforcers of Justice, Light, and Truth.

totowhoa

Banned
Attackthebase said:
I may pick up Donkey Kong. Hopefully, Walmart will sell the game at midnight!

I just found out I don't have to go into work tomorrow for various reasons, and when I went to pick up a few things from Walmart late this afternoon, I spoke with somebody in the electronic department.

He said for games that release at midnight, but aren't HUGE releases, you can just find somebody around in the area and them go grab you a copy of the game from the stock room if you let them know it's just released. So, that's what I'm doing tonight :D GS isn't doing a midnight release, so this will be much nicer than pre-ordering through them.

giggas

Really loving the game so far. I'm having a tough time figuring out the best way to play it. Nunchuck and remote is the best way as far as the waggle moves go, but I'm way more comfy playing with the sideways remote. That said, it's harder to do the waggle stuff that way. So, kind of torn at the moment, but leaning towards sideways since its very similar to NSMB.

Diddy is strange in this game. I haven't played two player, but having Diddy by your side basically grants DK the abilities of Dixie Kong. The jet pack feels almost exactly like her spin, only it lasts a limited time. I assume the pop gun is only a two player thing because i haven't done anything with it yet.

Just started world 3 and the game isalready really tough. I'd say I'm a DKC vet and I'm having some trouble, which is a good thing. Also, I love DK's weight in this. It finally feels like you're in control of a giant ape.

Really great stuff so far.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:

Did you hit him?

I haven't done that in a long time. I do watch Genndy Tartatovsky cartoons though, which are for Manly Men and the Enforcers of Justice, Light, and Truth.

:/

Well, at least you got your good looks.

traveler

Not Wario
So what's the best deal available for this currently and will there be a better one Friday? (That's currently known of at least) I'd really like to pick this up tomorrow but if it's going to be a steal after Thanksgiving I think I could bear waiting a week.

AniHawk said:

How is Symbionic Titan? I tried watching Samurai Jack after finishing Avatar: TLA while I was on my "Good American Cartoons" kick but wasn't compelled to see it through. The visuals, while better than almost anything else I'd seen on CN or Nick, weren't enough to make up for the lack of a strong, planned storyline. (which the show seemed to lack, especially coming right after Avatar)

Hiltz

Yeah, Diddy's popgun is apparently only for use in 2 player co-op. I'm not sure if player 2 has control over Diddy's jet pack hovering move when he is being carried around by DK as player 1.

The DKCR deals that I know of :

Target - $10 gift card with purchase of game.

Game Stop - Free banana Wii remote controller cover pre-order bonus item.

Toys R Us - Free T-shirt & strategy guide with purchase of game.

Kmart - 2 $10 coupons with purchase of game

Adam J.

Really hate shopping at Game Stop, but I just couldn't resist the banana wii-mote case pre-order bonus...

Scheduled to work till 4pm tomorrow, but I hope that I can sneak out early to get my Kong on.

WillyFive

traveler said:
How is Symbionic Titan? I tried watching Samurai Jack after finishing Avatar: TLA while I was on my "Good American Cartoons" kick but wasn't compelled to see it through. The visuals, while better than almost anything else I'd seen on CN or Nick, weren't enough to make up for the lack of a strong, planned storyline. (which the show seemed to lack, especially coming right after Avatar)

Well great for you!

Because Symbionic Titan has a lot more story to it than Samurai Jack! In fact, there's a whole epic story arc going on in the background.

You should see it.

Sklorenz said:
I just found out I don't have to go into work tomorrow for various reasons, and when I went to pick up a few things from Walmart late this afternoon, I spoke with somebody in the electronic department.

He said for games that release at midnight, but aren't HUGE releases, you can just find somebody around in the area and them go grab you a copy of the game from the stock room if you let them know it's just released. So, that's what I'm doing tonight :D GS isn't doing a midnight release, so this will be much nicer than pre-ordering through them.

Answers my question if I would be picking it up tonight. Thanks for the info!

Amir0x

Banned
Not sure if I'm gonna get this yet, 'cause I don't really like this franchise. Maybe with my $25+$20 off coupon at K-Mart though...

Top Bottom