• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Why would you do that? said:
So I was playing Sonic 3, and I'm totally stuck on this bouncy thing in Carnival Night. I keep jumping and can't go down all the way. Help!
The way you mock me, it hurts.

I'll pick this up with my first paycheck (woo employment)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TheExodu5 said:
Once you see Wii games in proper HD, it's hard to go back.

nsmb1.jpg
Call me nuts but that looks fucking ugly. Those assets weren't meant to be displayed at that resolution.

Socreges said:
Why feed him? Why?

This will be my first purchase of a Nintendo game since... Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Wow.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just can't see how anyone could find the Galaxy games untouchable yet not even acknowledge that this game looks just as good artistically and is a game that most would say looks great no matter what you play it on.

I didn't know he played Wii games on a silly computer.

Regulus Tera said:
Call me nuts but that looks fucking ugly. Those assets weren't meant to be displayed at that resolution.

Yeah, it's too simple looking, would have to be cel-shaded to pull that off with how basic it is and even then, it might not.

flak57

Amir0x said:
Take it from my perspective. Let's say I'm ready to give a DKC game another shot. This reviewer is going on and on about how amazingly new and fresh all these ideas are, and then lists literally zero new and fresh ideas. The sum total of the detail was about the fact that there's a lot of shit going on in the background as well as new gameplay ideas being introduced (the ladder of which he never actually explains, which is what matters). I really genuinely DO want to know what "new ideas" it has, after all. "Dynamic levels" is not a new idea, either in a platformer or any other genre.

Even if everything that was being said is true, it doesn't help me at all. It reads like fanboy gushing.

From the Go Nintendo review -
"Donkey Kong Country Returns does not control like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and it shouldn't. Donkey Kong has a different size and weight to him than Mario. DK builds up momentum, and he takes a little longer to stop."

That's a massive difference in the very fundamentals of DKC's gameplay, I'm surprised I didn't hear about this or notice it before. In the trilogy you could literally move in the opposite direction at full speed on a dime, no acceleration or sliding at all. So if you weren't a fan of that in the other games, there's something. Looks like it controls a little more like Mario now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Regulus Tera said:
The Wii 480p version blown up to 1080p and viewed on a computer monitor would look much, much worse.

TheExodu5

Banned
Regulus Tera said:

Also, to say the assets weren't meant to be displayed at that resolution is a little naive. Just look at the M on Mario's hat. The textures are remarkably high resolution in many Nintendo titles. It gives me hope that Nintendo will some day support Wii games at a higher resolution.

othersteve said:
:lol :lol :lol

It can be true.

With character models and backgrounds that non detailed and such, some of the games look weird with higher resolutions.

Now if the system was more powerful than it is, they could maked some of the best looking games of all time with high resolution but they aren't designed for it and it shows.

Just how I see it though most think every Wii game looks great in high definition.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I usually agree that some games have assets that were intended for lower resolutions, and up-res ruins the look.... but in this case I think Nintendo's assets look awesome in HD.

Socreges

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just can't see how anyone could find the Galaxy games untouchable yet not even acknowledge that this game looks just as good artistically and is a game that most would say looks great no matter what you play it on.

I didn't know he played Wii games on a silly computer.
No, no. It's just always an event when people accidentally encourage and tease out Amir0x's self-importance before engaging him in fruitless debate. Must be the red text.

Socreges said:
No, no. It's just always an event when people accidentally encourage and tease out Amir0x's self-importance before engaging him in fruitless debate. Must be the red text.
Well, they do say red is the color that brings the most responses out of a person.

I have already summoned, but not used, the Super Kong twice and I've only just beaten World 1. Holy hell at
Stage 1-K. I was stuck on it for a good 45 minutes. It's like Nintendo went and designed their own take on Kaizo Mario.

On another note, getting to play the game for a few hours now I have come to terms with the Wiimote held sideways controls and they work just as well as any other control option they could have provided.

El Pescado said:
Holy hell at
Stage 1-K. I was stuck on it for a good 45 minutes. It's like Nintendo went and designed their own take on Kaizo Mario.
The scariest part is that
some of the later K stages are actually probably twice as hard as that one. I think even the World 5 one
killed me like 60 times.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I got dolphin working, and it looks FUCKING GLORIOUS running Muramasa!! It's lightning quick too. But the whole thing falls apart if I try to run Mario Galaxy or anything else :( tried all the configurations. I guess my PC can't handle it.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Once you see Wii games in proper HD, it's hard to go back.
Oh, yeah, look at those fucking beautifully low-res sprites and textures I NEED TO GO CHANGE MY PANTS NOW THEY'RE JUST SO BLURRY IT IS MAKING ME SO HOT

(to clarify, making a game HD doesn't always make it look good unless it was made to be HD, and NSMB is a perfect example of that with its low-res textures)

Sgt.Pepper said:
Sorry for your loss. Next time just preorder the game, less hassle.

I just figured they'd have it like they had Mario Galaxy 2 in the same situation but this dude looked it up on the computer, said he had no way of knowing it was there, basically questioned it was a major title and looked constipated when I told him it was due out today.

He said he thought they'd get it in on Tuesday.

I don't even work there to know that's bullshit.

MidnightScott said:
Patience. It'll be on the shelves in the morning at Best Buy and GameStop. Also, Target is giving a $10 gift card with it.
Will gamestop be opening at its typical time for Sunday? I ask because I could have sworn they open early for the release of some games.

totowhoa

Banned
Picked up the game about two hours ago. I'm sufficiently drunk, as I strangely have no work tomorrow. Thus far, my fiance, my best friend, and I prefer it sideways. Nunchuck is good too, but motion control with a side controlller is really easy. Very subtle movement. It's surprisingly comfy. Loving the game. GREAT challenge without being too hard. Currently, we've just been passing the controller based upon lives lost or time spent playing... we're almost to world 3. A few more levels to go. All in all, we have all been blown away by expectations. We're each in our mid-20s and grew up with DKC. Really enjoying it :D Lots to find, good difficulty, and great level design. Nothing to complain about yet, but I'm still early on. I'll update tomorrow with other GAFfers once I start my own file in the morning.

hatchx

Banned
I'm at the 7th world.

I just realized something awesome about the overworld. It definitely a cool little feature I'll let you all find out for yourselves.

Top Bottom