• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

I'm playing DKC2 to prepare myself. My sister's friend is coming over in 2 days, I asked her to buy me the game as a favor; thank god, otherwise I'd have to wait almost 2 weeks to get it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Amir0x said:
Not sure if I'm gonna get this yet, 'cause I don't really like this franchise. Maybe with my $25+$20 off coupon at K-Mart though...

Wait for Dolphin impressions and run it on there, since you have such a beastly computer. Might be a little more incentive if you can see this game running in 1080p. :)

Sgt.Pepper said:
I'm playing DKC2 to prepare myself. My sister's friend is coming over in 2 days, I asked her to buy me the game as a favor; thank god, otherwise I'd have to wait almost 2 weeks to get it.

Woo! I started earlier tonight...I'm in Kremland now. Game is getting tough!

Amir0x

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Wait for Dolphin impressions and run it on there, since you have such a beastly computer. Might be a little more incentive if you can see this game running in 1080p. :)

well i mean the graphics might be acceptable then, but it's the DKC gameplay that keeps me away.

We'll see. I have a lot of games I actually want to play to waste time on games I don't, but if the bargain is hot enough who knows. Gran Turismo 5 is way more important at the moment

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
Did you hit him?

No, he was hired on after Prime. I did explain that I wasn't a big fan of Prime, though.

traveler said:
How is Symbionic Titan? I tried watching Samurai Jack after finishing Avatar: TLA while I was on my "Good American Cartoons" kick but wasn't compelled to see it through. The visuals, while better than almost anything else I'd seen on CN or Nick, weren't enough to make up for the lack of a strong, planned storyline. (which the show seemed to lack, especially coming right after Avatar)

It started off on the dull side, definitely. A little hit and miss, mostly establishing the characters and supporting casts, and rounding it out with some robot fights.

But despite the show being episodic, there's an overarching story, and characters are being developed and we're starting to see background episodes too (the one for the main male character was written by Paul Dini - y'know, the guy that wrote Heart of Ice and tons of other Batman: The Animated Series episodes).

I wasn't a big fan of Samurai Jack at first. Genndy loves to make episodes with little talking and lots of repetition, but there's not as much of it here.

The first few episodes are really about them fighting as a robot, but that's become less and less the point in the recent ones. The last month (a string of four) episodes have focused very little on the Titan fighting, and the show's really hitting a stride.

I'm not sure if there's a planned start to finish, but it certainly looks that way from this point.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
well i mean the graphics might be acceptable then, but it's the DKC gameplay that keeps me away.

We'll see. I have a lot of games I actually want to play to waste time on games I don't, but if the bargain is hot enough who knows. Gran Turismo 5 is way more important at the moment

Pfft. Why play a racing game when you could go on the freeway and go 120mph any time you want.

EDIT: That's right. You live in Pennsylvania with those sad little streets.

Sad, sad little streets.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Pfft. Why play a racing game when you could go on the freeway and go 120mph any time you want.

EDIT: That's right. You live in Pennsylvania with those sad little streets.

When I can afford to buy a ferrari italia 458 and drive it in real life maybe i will

sfried

Amir0x said:
I take it you played the first, didn't bother with the second.

Amir0x said:
Gran Turismo 5 is way more important at the moment.
Nah. Kongs before Cars. Always.

Amir0x

Banned
sfried said:
I take it you played the first, didn't bother with the second.

Nope, never touched DKC2. Ever.

sfried said:
Nah. Kongs before Cars. Always.

Uh, well, I guess everyone has their priorities :lol

Anyway, never fucking mind, i barely said anything and guys are already pickin'. See ya if I end up getting this some day down the line :lol

sfried

Amir0x said:
You're missing out on...well...alot.

Everything that was AWFUL on the first DKC was FIXED in DKC2. The pacing, the levels, the boss battles...Everything. It is up there with Yoshi's Island in terms of level design, but I give the crown to DKC2 because it had challenge.

Then RARE just had to make DKC3 the collectathon. And DK64.

So yeah.
Amir0x said:
Anyway, never fucking mind, i barely said anything and guys are already pickin'. See ya if I end up getting this some day down the line
Likewise I never saw the point of Gran Turismo.

Neiteio

Anyway, Go.Nintendo has posted an AMAZING review of the game. Best review I've read yet, along with OtherSteve's (posted earlier, at Digital Chumps):

Go.Nintendo said:
What a weird path it has been to get to Donkey Kong Country Returns. I thought we would never see the franchise again once Nintendo did away with RARE. The Big N snuck Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat in there, and while that was a fantastic game, it didn't have the same feel or approach as the Donkey Kong Country series. While I thought all hope was lost, I never expected a series of events like this to bring us to Donkey Kong Country Returns. RARE goes to Microsoft, Retro works on Metroid, Retro moves on from Prime, Team Ninja and Nintendo work on Metroid, and Retro moves to Donkey Kong Country Returns! While it may be one hell of a weird series of events, I'm just happy we got to the point that we're at now.

I can remember being extremely excited for Donkey Kong Country. I got the Toys R' Us VHS in the mail leading up to the game's launch. I read previews for the game in countless magazines. I even watched an hour-long QVC special where they were selling the game early. While the hosts were torture, I just kept my eyes glued to the gameplay footage that was spliced into the program. While all that was going on, the actual release date snuck up on me. What a wonderful SNES memory that was. Donkey Kong Country may be one of my favorite games of all-time. It's definitely tied to some good feelings, as well as a time when gaming was still all about side-scrollers. Those were my days.

And here we are in 2010, and it seems like it's 'my days' again. We've seen multiple side-scrollers released throughout the year. The best part is, a ton of them have been really quality products. While I was excited for a bunch of these other titles, it was Donkey Kong Country Returns that really had my eye. Could Retro actually pull off yet another fantastic job with a treasured Nintendo series? They weren't revamping anything this time around, but instead, trying to emulate a long-dead series. Could they take what RARE/Nintendo did, and make it better?

Of course they can, because Retro has proven time and time again that they're absolutely fantastic at what they do.

I cannot tell you the last time I played a side-scroller that gave me so many 'wow' moments. I've gotten goosebumps from Mega Man 9, I had waves of nostalgia from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and I was soothed by Kirby's Epic Yarn. As great as those games are, Donkey Kong Country Returns really stands out above all of them. The size of the smile on my face while playing this game was actually painful. Almost every single aspect of Donkey Kong Country Returns is a joy to behold. When you're playing through this title, you know that you're onto something truly special.

I kid you not, I stopped in my path multiple times while playing, all so I could take in what was going on around me. There are so many design choices that were made that feel completely new and fresh. I've never seen a platformer like this that really felt alive. I've played hundreds of side-scrollers, and this is one of the first that gave me the impression of a living, breathing game world. Retro went way, way over the top in creating special little moments that tie together into one big picture. And what a ridiculously beautiful picture this is.

I played through the entire main quest in the game, and there were constantly situations where I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing. Donkey Kong Country Returns delivers a side-scrolling experience in ways that I've never come across before. No matter where you are or what you're doing, there's always something going on. If there's big action in the foreground, you're smirking at just how ingenious the gameplay mechanics are. If you're just strolling through a level, you're treated with all sorts of eye candy going on in the background. This constant sense of action and motion really does wonders for the entire experience.

I don't even know how to describe the lively nature of the game. It's just something that you have to experience on your own. The flow of a level is like riding a rollercoaster. You're always excited to see what's just a few feet off screen. Not only that, but you know that some sort of grand flourish could be coming up to present a new mechanic to you. I'm talking about canyons crumbling around you, pirate ships shooting at each other, a giant horde of bugs trying to wash you away...you name it. While Donkey Kong Country Returns is all about gameplay, the care put into the entire experience feels as if you're watching a fantastically animated cartoon.

I simply cannot fathom how Retro managed to put together such a fantastic project. It's not that I don't believe in Retro, it's the fact that they do things in Donkey Kong Country Returns that haven't been done in platformers. It's almost as if they sat down and studied all that platformers had to offer, and then decided to switch things up and put their on stamp on the genre. This is not a simple platformer, nor was the Donkey Kong Country series before it. I think the big difference here is that RARE crafted a fantastic platforming series using genre staples, while Retro has taken the platformer genre itself and breathed massive amounts of new life into it. The very basic gameplay mechanics are no doubt Donkey Kong Country, but the way they are implemented and presented is something I've never seen elsewhere.

The way that level design and platforming mechanics are married is absolutely outstanding. Every single world is an absolute joy to play. I cannot think of one level that was boring, or tame compared to the levels before it. Sure, there may be some levels that are more frustrating than others because of difficulty, but that's a good complaint! I want a game that challenges me, and Donkey Kong Country Returns does this while showing off just how the platformer genre still has life in it.

To talk about the levels in great detail would be near impossible, and it wouldn't be right to do. It's so important that you guys experience this game for yourselves, rather than watch videos and read tons of reviews. As I said earlier, the 'wow' factor is cranked up to 11 on this one. I promise you that this is a game that's going to surprise you with every new level. You start out amazed with how the title is presented, and then you become eager to see just what new ideas each level is going to bring. Then before you know it, you're onto a new world with a brand-new theme.

Getting through those worlds is going to take some gaming talent. Donkey Kong Country Returns is not the most difficult platformer I've ever played, but there's no doubt that this baby brings a ton of challenge with it. It's definitely one of the more intense platformer experiences that I can think of in recent memory. If you were disappointed by the lack of 'challenge' in Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns is on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. You are going to die, and you're going to die a lot. Trust me, you'll be buying a few extra lives from Cranky at some point during your time with the game.

I'm glad to say that the difficult and lost lives have absolutely nothing to do with the game's controls. You just have to make sure you understand what type of game you're getting into first. Donkey Kong Country Returns does not control like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and it shouldn't. Donkey Kong has a different size and weight to him than Mario. DK builds up momentum, and he takes a little longer to stop. He also has more weight to him when he jumps. All of this is fine-tuned to perfection. All you have to do is tune yourself into how Donkey Kong controls. That shouldn't take very long at all. The game's difficulty progression is going to teach/test those skills as you pass from world to world. Sorry, but if you're dying more than you'd like, you'll have no one but yourself to blame.

Well, perhaps you can complain to your co-op buddy, if you choose to take one with you. I'm warning you, Donkey Kong Country Returns is going to be a much harder experience with a second player on the screen. The game is tough enough as it is, but coordinating things with your partner is going to take a ton of skill. Get ready to lose double the lives, and I mean that. If both of you die while in co-op, you lose two lives instead of one. You better make sure you bring a skilled partner along with you, or your life collection is going to deplete in a matter of minutes!

It doesn't really matter if you play single or co-op, because Donkey Kong Country Returns is going to provide TONS of fun either way. It just won't be as hectic when you are going it alone. That might even be the better way to approach this game, because you can take in more when you're on your own. You'll be able to better hear the remixed classic tunes from the original DKC series. All your favorite tunes are back, and there are some nice variations on the themes you know and love. There's a handful of original tracks that mesh nicely as well. There's no denying that the RARE compositions have a different feel from the Retro ones, but they all mix together into a great audio package.

Speaking of audio, I can't say enough just how impressed I am with the sound effects in Donkey Kong Country Returns. When it comes to that aspect of sound design, I think this title might be one of the best on Wii. The sounds that were used for enemies and the surrounding environments are absolutely fantastic. I especially love the sound effects for Donkey Kong himself. The sound he makes when running/walking really add to the weight of the character, and help you connect even better. When I first started playing the game, the sound was one of the first things that truly impressed me. If you have a good sound system, crank that sucker up. You may not be getting any fancy 7.1 sound, but what you do get is well worth the pumped-up volume.

There's just so much here to talk about, but I really don't want to ruin the game for you guys! I'd love to talk about how engaging the boss battles are, but that would ruin their surprises. I'm dying to discuss the fantastic construction of the mine cart levels, but that would give you a jump on how to handle them! I'd love to reveal the level flow for certain worlds, but that wouldn't be fair to you guys. One of the best things about Donkey Kong Country Returns is discovering it for yourself. If you were expecting more of what RARE gave us, you'd be wrong. Hell, that's what I was expecting. This game is its own beast, and Retro really knows how to handle themselves.

That's not to say that there aren't some minor issues that I feel I should mention. Wiimote/Nunchuk controls may not be for everyone, due to the mix of skilled platforming and need for Wiimote waggle. If you don't like the idea of mixing shaking with precision platforming, I'm afraid it's something you'll have to get over. You may also not like the need to press the jump button right when landing on an enemy in order to get a higher bounce. It's a mechanic that lends itself more to skill, and you'll definitely get used to it as you go along. Some people might not like the fact that Donkey/Diddy now have life meters which allow for two hits each, but I think most will get over that when they realize how difficult the game can be! The same goes for Diddy's jet-pack that allows him to hover. Some people will feel it does away with tradition, and others will appreciate how it is used. Again, these are all minor quibbles that don't bother me, but I noticed them while playing because I thought some gamers might take issue.

Even if you end up hating all those aspects above, you're not going to hate the game. If you like platformers...even a little bit...you're going to truly appreciate this game. You'll have plenty to do and see, and plenty to collect as well. The standard quest itself as 8 worlds with 6 or more levels in each. After you run through all those, you'll have incentive to go back and collect all the KONG letters in each level. There's also a certain amount of puzzle pieces in each level to find, which is much tougher than collecting KONG letters. On top of that, you can go back and do time trials for each level in order to get a gold/silver/bronze. Let me tell you, these time trials are really tough...especially if you're going for gold! I've had this game since Tuesday, beat the main quest tonight, and I've already started to go back and get the KONG letters I missed. Just like with the original DKC series, DKCR is so good that you'll want to go back and get all the goodies you missed.

Oh my, there simply aren't enough good things I can say about this game. I really am not embellishing my feelings for this title. I truly believe that Donkey Kong Country Returns is a huge step forward for platformers in general. There are so many new ideas at play that it boggles my mind. How have we gone so many years with platformers, but only Retro has figured out how to take things to the next level? I think the biggest compliment I can pay to the game is that while I was playing, all I could think about was a sequel. I couldn't help but wonder about what Retro could do with a DKCR2, now that they've laid the groundwork. There is no doubt in my mind that almost all Nintendo fans are going to love this title. It's an absolute must-have for Wii owners, or fans of platforming in general. Missing out on this would be missing out on a huge revolution for platformers.

Remember, our scoring system only uses whole numbers or .5 from here on out.

Donkey Kong Country Returns gets a 9.5 out of 10

I wasn't into this game at all during the first few showings but somewhere along the line the game started looking phenomenal graphically (where they seemed pretty standard previously).

I hope the gameplay is good.

sfried said:
Everything. It is up there with Yoshi's Island in terms of level design, but I give the crown to DKC2 because it had challenge.

smh.gif

Amir0x

Banned
sfried said:
You're missing out on...well...alot.

Everything that was AWFUL on the first DKC was FIXED in DKC2. The pacing, the levels, the boss battles...Everything. It is up there with Yoshi's Island in terms of level design, but I give the crown to DKC2 because it had challenge.

Then RARE just had to make DKC3 the collectathon. And DK64.

So yeah.

:lol I was joking sfried, of course I played it.

Neiteio said:
Oh my, there simply aren't enough good things I can say about this game. I really am not embellishing my feelings for this title. I truly believe that Donkey Kong Country Returns is a huge step forward for platformers in general. There are so many new ideas at play that it boggles my mind.

The review is weird because it literally did not describe a single new idea about any aspect at all. Basically the reviewer spent the entire time masturbating onto Donkey Kong's chest with "OMG YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS" and then never told us what we won't believe. That's actually a TERRIBLY written review. Whether you're a fan of Donkey Kong Country or not, it's a bad review.

Neiteio

Amir0x said:
DKC2 is light years ahead of DKC1 in terms of hit detection, rhythm and flow, as well as variety and complexity of terrain and level design, and airtight art direction and atmosphere. It almost feels like a console generational leap, if not in tech then in game design know-how.

EDIT: Just saw that you did play DKC2. Nevermind! As for the review, he spend a lot of time talking about the dynamic, lively nature of the game world, which I agree is something that deserves more attention than it's receiving in reviews. He (or she? I'm pretty sure it's Rawmeat Cowboy, so he) has me pumped. :)

sfried

Incitemaybe said:
I wasn't into this game at all during the first few showings but somewhere along the line the game started looking phenomenal graphically (where they seemed pretty standard previously).

I hope the gameplay is good.
I'm not one to argue over Retro's art direction (they seem to also have competent tech), but the fact that some levels already go 1-up over Rare's
while still delivering skill based challenge (chaining jumps) shows that they know their...uh...what was that word....

sfried

Anasui Kishibe said:
Yoshi's Island stood the test of time. But DKC2's secret coins and how well hidden they were still are one of the definitive moments for me.

And that Squawks racing challenge...ugh! Felt so good to beat that other parrot. Certainly DKC2 had more adrenaline rush moments where you felt on the verge between life-and-death, while YI had more focused well-rounded gameplay ideas they came altogether really well.

sfried said:
I'm not one to argue over Retro's art direction (they seem to also have competent tech), but the fact that some levels already go 1-up over Rare's
while still delivering skill based challenge (chaining jumps) shows that they know their...uh...what was that word....

Kong shit???

Neiteio

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
The best part of this game is they left a lot out to make the sequel even better.
Yep! Snow world, underwater levels (find a way to make 'em fun!), Enguarde the Swordfish, and KREMLINGS!

Amir0x

Banned
Neiteio said:
DKC2 is light years ahead of DKC1 in terms of hit detection, rhythm and flow, as well as variety and complexity of terrain and level design, and airtight art direction and atmosphere. It almost feels like a console generational leap, if not in tech then in game design know-how.

EDIT: Just saw that you did play DKC2. Nevermind! As for the review, he spend a lot of time talking about the dynamic, lively nature of the game world, which I agree is something that deserves more attention than it's receiving in reviews. He (or she? I'm pretty sure it's Rawmeat Cowboy, so he) has me pumped. :)

Take it from my perspective. Let's say I'm ready to give a DKC game another shot. This reviewer is going on and on about how amazingly new and fresh all these ideas are, and then lists literally zero new and fresh ideas. The sum total of the detail was about the fact that there's a lot of shit going on in the background as well as new gameplay ideas being introduced (the ladder of which he never actually explains, which is what matters). I really genuinely DO want to know what "new ideas" it has, after all. "Dynamic levels" is not a new idea, either in a platformer or any other genre.

Even if everything that was being said is true, it doesn't help me at all. It reads like fanboy gushing.

Anasui Kishibe said:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/airhoppz/GIFs/smh.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I like Yoshi's Island overall better than DKC2, not by much though. I do agree that DKC2 was challenger than YI.

Neiteio said:
Yep! Snow world, underwater levels (find a way to make 'em fun!), Enguarde the Swordfish, and KREMLINGS!

Yeah, you covered them all basically.

Also, other playable Kongs.

As for the water levels, I don't completely buy that they have no place in the game, Retro could make them waterfally and fast and exciting.

I am not calling them liars but something tells me that they ahd so many ideas on land that they are saving the other areas for a sequel they may already be planning.

Neiteio

Amir0x said:
Take it from my perspective. Let's say I'm ready to give a DKC game another shot. This reviewer is going on and on about how amazingly new and fresh all these ideas are, and then lists literally zero new and fresh ideas. The sum total of the detail was about the fact that there's a lot of shit going on in the background as well as new gameplay ideas being introduced (the ladder of which he never actually explains, which is what matters). I really genuinely DO want to know what "new ideas" it has, after all. "Dynamic levels" is not a new idea, either in a platformer or any other genre.

Even if everything that was being said is true, it doesn't help me at all. It's reads like fanboy gushing.
The review probably worked for me because I've seen quite a bit of footage on this game, so I know most of the things he's roundabout referencing, and all I need is someone to vouch for how it all comes together, whether it'll tickle my inner fan. And it sounds like it will. Like me, he has a strong love for the series, and it's hitting all the right marks with him, so I strongly suspect it will with me as well. :) :)

Neiteio

Amir0x said:
So the review works for people already sold on the game, gotcha ;)
No, I'm just saying the review conveyed for me the sort of unbridled fun that'll take me back to simpler times when I wasn't jaded and posting on Internet message boards. I like his enthusiasm, and if the game lacked that special something it would've been a negative write-up, ala Metroid Other M. My point with seeing footage is I've seen firsthand the parade of fresh ideas to which he refers. Now I have his word that it keeps up throughout, and that overall effect is even greater than the sum of its parts. It's the first review to get me excited because it tries to articulate that intangible joy that is the true measure of a good Nintendo game. :)

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
you assholes couldn't even legalize marijuana

dude, the speed limit is 75 mph. and on desert roads, that's like the minimum limit. it's a suggestion. what's the max in pennsylvania? 55 mph?

sfried said:
Yoshi's Island stood the test of time. But DKC2's secret coins and how well hidden they were still are one of the definitive moments for me.

And that Squawks racing challenge...ugh! Felt so good to beat that other parrot. Certainly DKC2 had more adrenaline rush moments where you felt on the verge between life-and-death, while YI had more focused well-rounded gameplay ideas they came altogether really well.

I definitely loved DKC2 much more than DKC because, quite simply, it's a much, much better game. Top notch graphics and sound, every world a plethora of ideas, secret paths, amazingly creative level design and one of the best tracks ever heard in a videogame. DKC 2 is what happens when an intelligent and talented developer sits down, analyzes, tests and tests again. It's a masterful game. But Yoshi's Island is creativity. It's a brilliant idea with a character built around it

Sydle

Sgt.Pepper said:
I like Yoshi's Island overall better than DKC2, not by much though. I do agree that DKC2 was challenger than YI.

Yoshi's Island is one of the most difficult games in the series for me. I thought it was much more difficult than most of DKC2.

Nabs

Amir0x said:
dang how do you get the wiimote working with the PC :lol

a bluetooth adapter

but for a game like this, you can use a superior controller (like an snes one) and map the shake to a button.

Lenardo

Banned
Amir0x said:
dang how do you get the wiimote working with the PC :lol

get a blue tooth dongle they cost about 15 bucks on newegg

then follow the dolphin directions, you just need a wireless wiibar if you need to use the pointer

works great. i have not switched over to my new comp all the stuff

D-Pad

A little ot, but I just finished playing some DKC 2 (after getting further than I've ever gotten in the game before) and I have found that I hate flying with Squawks through thorny maze-bushes more than I do swimming in Kirby and Mario games. Shit was so frustrating, and that "press button fast to fly" shit didn't help matters at ALL.

There is this part, two of them actually where you have to mash A repeatedly to outrun these red bees circling around. The second time you do this theere is a red bee blocking one way, so you have to ruch around the round-a-bout to the left. Well the bees are faster than you, and unless you got a fast finger you aren't going to outrace them. On top of that, the exit out of the circle (on the right side, you enter from the bottom and race around clock-wise) is so narrow, and the collision detection is so awkward-- it's inCREDIBLY easy to die at that part. I must have failed at least fifteen times at that one part alone. Pressure from the bees closing in -- and you can't continue around because of the bee blocking -- forces you to throw yourself out of the loop, either hitting your head in the escape passage or getting a foot full of thorn. I only ever had one monkey alive by that point, so that didn't help.

Also in the level: regular bees, dragonflies, carefully placed hook-tossing krimlings, IT'S-A-TRAP-banana areas, oddly placed buddy barrels (in the upper left hand corner of a thorn wall, really?), and crate-throwing jacket-phantoms which are conviniently out of Squawks' bullet reach.

Sorry for that little rant, but I've never played a more frustrating level in my entire life, hince why I am sharing my experience. Generally, I can find both good and bad in these levels. Some are frustrating at times but there is still some fun to be had somewhere. No fun was present in this level, and I will NOT be returning to it...

TheExodu5

Banned
D-Pad said:
There is this part, two of them actually where you have to mash A repeatedly to outrun these red bees circling around. The second time you do this theere is a red bee blocking one way, so you have to ruch around the round-a-bout to the left. Well the bees are faster than you, and unless you got a fast finger you aren't going to outrace them. On top of that, the exit out of the circle (on the right side, you enter from the bottom and race around clock-wise) is so narrow, and the collision detection is so awkward-- it's inCREDIBLY easy to die at that part. I must have failed at least fifteen times at that one part alone. Pressure from the bees closing in -- and you can't continue around because of the bee blocking -- forces you to throw yourself out of the loop, either hitting your head in the escape passage or getting a foot full of thorn. I only ever had one monkey alive by that point, so that didn't help.

I had no trouble with that part at all. Were you holding up when flying up? It makes you go faster.

Sydle

D-Pad said:
A little ot, but I just finished playing some DKC 2 (after getting further than I've ever gotten in the game before) and I have found that I hate flying with Squawks through thorny maze-bushes more than I do swimming in Kirby and Mario games. Shit was so frustrating, and that "press button fast to fly" shit didn't help matters at ALL.

Also in the level: regular bees, dragonflies, carefully placed hook-tossing krimlings, IT'S-A-TRAP-banana areas, oddly placed buddy barrels (in the upper left hand corner of a thorn wall, really?), and crate-throwing jacket-phantoms which are conviniently out of Squawks' bullet reach.

Sorry for that little rant, but I've never played a more frustrating level in my entire life, hince why I am sharing my experience. Generally, I can find both good and bad in these levels. Some are frustrating at times but there is still some fun to be had somewhere. No fun was present in this level, and I will NOT be returning to it...

Fond memories.

Game is all about timing. After playing it so much I was able to breeze through each level without a mistep or hiccup. I especially love the last few levels and the underworld levels.

Neiteio

D-Pad said:
Well shit.
Ah, so you weren't holding Up on the Dpad, eh? That'll definitely help. :) That level is one of my favorites, actually. I love the music and the look of it, and after revisiting it so many times (Krazy Kremland is my favorite world, so I frequent its levels often), I've become so daring that I recklessly fly around the level, tempting sweet thorny death. :)

Top Bottom