• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

TheExodu5

Banned
Twig said:
Oh, yeah, look at those fucking beautifully low-res sprites and textures I NEED TO GO CHANGE MY PANTS NOW THEY'RE JUST SO BLURRY IT IS MAKING ME SO HOT

(to clarify, making a game HD doesn't always make it look good unless it was made to be HD, and NSMB is a perfect example of that with its low-res textures)

NSMB has low res textures? You can't possibly be serious. Those textures surpass quite a few HD games.

Either way, what are you arguing? Do you actually have the gull to say that it looks better in SD?

MvmntInGrn said:
Will gamestop be opening at its typical time for Sunday? I ask because I could have sworn they open early for the release of some games.

all of the gamestops nationwide didn't get additional coverage to do a DK release. But they left it up to the store. My store, and another store in the same town are both open at 11. That's where I will be going. I want my fee banana!

Also, Was just at wally world and they didn't have it at our store tonight for anyone. it's not even on the truck til monday they said. So far, 5 people have asked about it.

AniHawk

hatchx said:
I'm at the 7th world.

I just realized something awesome about the overworld. It definitely a cool little feature I'll let you all find out for yourselves.

I bet it's Super Return of the Jedi.

EzLink

Banned
Just finished world 3. This game is glorious so far

Even with somewhat thorough exploration thus far I've still yet to 100% a single level. Getting every single thing in this game is going to be ridiculous :lol

The levels are very creative and teeming with activity, and it makes the whole game world feel very lively. The only downside to this is that there is so much to interact with, that checking everything can slow down the pacing of the levels considerably. When you consider that blowing a flower can reveal anything from a single banana all the way to a hidden barrel or puzzle piece, OCD gamers are going to be stopping every five seconds to check every tiny thing

This is a completely great game so far, can't wait to start would 4 tomorrow :D

Neo Child

Banned
Frencherman said:
Honestly, the music sounds cheap in comparison to the originals :(

but the original DKC soundtracks were amazing by video gaming standards - its hard for one game to come out and just top them. a lot of todays game music isnt as good as DKC's

Neo Child said:
but the original DKC soundtracks were amazing by video gaming standards - its hard for one game to come out and just top them. a lot of todays game music isnt as good as DKC's

Definately, but it is pretty much the same tune here, just the instruments sounds cheap and less epic :(

I am reall wondering if retro was able to create new tunes which are on par with the classics...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Neo Child said:

I don't think it's just in comparison to the original, but to games in general right now. They had their hearts in the right place, trying to stay true, but it ends up sounding really cheap and dated. It's ok though, I still enjoy it somewhat, but I do agree it sounds cheap, almost like an OCremix, or even worse.

Picked it up this morning and wrapped up World 1. So far I love the level designs and the interaction with foreground and background (especially in the sunset level) shows a lot of creativity. I love being able to just quit and it saves your progress instead of worrying about spending coins.

If I were to nit-pick, it would only be two things so far. For whatever reason, I just cannot get used to the motion controls. I'm messing up roll jumps, and there is a delay between shaking the wiimote and performing the move. It's pretty frustrating when you're used to playing with precision platformers. I've been going back and forth between wiimote & nunchuk and wiimote on the side. So far, I've been enjoying the wiimote on it's side approach, but I'm going to try out the other control scheme a couple of more times before ruling it out.

My only other gripe would be that the mine-cart levels are one hit kills. At least in DKC2, (can't remember the original) if you had Diddy and Dixie together and hit an obstacle, you'd lose your partner but you'd still have another chance. Here, if you have DK and Diddy with four hearts, one mess up will send you back to the checkpoint, which can get frustrating pretty fast.

Hopefully the motion controls will click after a little more time with the game. I was just hoping by the end of the first world I'd be good to go. Regardless, I know this post sounds pretty negative, but even with the issues I've mentioned above, I am having a ton of fun with the game.

edit: Also noticed when rebooting, it saves your lives and banana coins. Even though it should be a given, that always annoyed me in the recent Mario games when you would start back at 5 lives even though you had collected 20.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, it's out. I'd totally be getting this today if I wasn't poverty stricken.

I wonder how much I could make turning tricks at the nearest truck stop...

Snuggler said:
Man, it's out. I'd totally be getting this today if I wasn't poverty stricken.

I wonder how much I could make turning tricks at the nearest truck stop...
I only made $10.75 and that was after letting a group of men pee on me. :(

Cygnus X-1

This game is really great, but it misses two things

1) a non-waggle gameplay;

2) a non-flat soundtrack.

Better correct these two thing in Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, Retro.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thunder Monkey said:
I was hoping to get closer to $50 then $10.75 though. :(

And I think one of them had Kidney infection.

maybe it's not the same but I have a Chili's gift card I'm willing to part with if you left me do stuff to you

Cygnus X-1 said:
This game is really great, but it misses two things

1) a non-waggle gameplay;

2) a non-flat soundtrack.

Better correct these two thing in Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, Retro.

I had hoped that I could play this with the Classic Controller. :/

agrajag

Banned
JacksUsername said:
For whatever reason, I just cannot get used to the motion controls. I'm messing up roll jumps, and there is a delay between shaking the wiimote and performing the move. It's pretty frustrating when you're used to playing with precision platformers.

:lol

OH GAF...

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at the assholes in this thread that were insisting that waggling is the best way to play games

Just started, a few levels in. Beautiful game to look at, lots of interaction with the environments. Motion controls feel fine to me, roll-jumping all over the place.

Rich!

Anyone played it on Dolphin yet? Hows the performance?

I dont care if I have to play it on dolphin in 480p for it to run smoothly, I want to use my SNES controller! It's so gooood on NSMBW.

agrajag

Banned
richisawesome said:

I dont care if I have to play it on dolphin in 480p for it to run smoothly, I want to use my SNES controller! It's so gooood on NSMBW.

man, I wish I had a high end pc just so I could play dolphin

Walked outside to go pick it up and slipped and busted up my knee, and had to scrape a quarter inch of ice off my car, fuck minnesota. Im sure it was worth it though :lol

epmode

richisawesome said:

VERY OFF TOPIC:

Now I know where you got your av!

richisawesome said:

I'm surprised to see no one has posted HD screenshots yet. But, it looks like Nintendo has managed to keep this one from releasing into the "wild" if you know what I mean. Good for them. I don't know what they did, but it's likely keeping some of the Dolphin users on the sidelines for the time being. :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Don't do that.

I'm sure there are plenty of people, at least the dudes on GAF like Exodus and Stallion, that are legit and purchase the game before they emulate it.

Snuggler said:
Don't do that.

I'm sure there are plenty of people, at least the dudes on GAF like Exodus and Stallion, that are legit and purchase the game before they emulate it.

hey, I'm just throwing it out there. I'm not saying anyone here has done anything illegitimate. With that said, bring on the HD screenshots!!

Outtrigger888 said:
Walked outside to go pick it up and slipped and busted up my knee, and had to scrape a quarter inch of ice off my car, fuck minnesota. Im sure it was worth it though :lol

It's slippery out there? I better watch myself when I go out looking for the game. Fuck yeah Minnesota! :lol

dvolovets

Outtrigger888 said:
Dude! The roads were absolutely ridiculous yesterday. But DKC: Returns sounds like it's definitely worth a busted knee, hahaha.

D-Pad

hatchx said:
I'm at the 7th world.

I just realized something awesome about the overworld. It definitely a cool little feature I'll let you all find out for yourselves.
Its shown in the trailers but:
it not being shaped like DK's head is NOT awesome. :(

EmSeta

Haven't people started picking it up yet? I want some more impressions. :D

I'm in Sweden, so I have no idea about opening hours etc. :p

Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Outtrigger888 said:
It's funny walking people take it super slow walking on the ice. I just sort of march.

AniHawk said:
I bet it's Super Return of the Jedi
I love this running gag :lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
agrajag said:
:lol

OH GAF...

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at the assholes in this thread that were insisting that waggling is the best way to play games

Alternatively: don't laugh at anyone, because it makes you out to be a braindead toddler who can't function in grown-up dialog.

There have been enough accounts that claim absolutely no delay or issues with the motion controls, so please put a cap on your knee-jerk reaction to anecdotal accounts that support your agenda.

Also: no one claimed that "waggling is the best way to play games" you troglodyte, but I understand that it's easier to rage against a make-believe and comically one-sided argument than a reasonable one.

Top Bottom