• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

I am in fucking love with this game. I have only played a handful of levels, but I am feeling so nostalgic playing it. Retro's level design is ace, I love the remixed music, and the controls are awesome. I seriously cannot wait to play the shit out of this game when I get the chance.

agrajag

Banned
So can anyone that has the game already confirm this? Judging from the videos, the game only has music remixes from the first game. I'm wondering if they're saving the music from DKC2 for DKCR2. That'd be kind of lame. I was hoping they'd use the best tracks form all three DKC games in this one, and then have all original music in DKCR2, hopefully composed by David Wise.

Or worse, maybe Nintendo is ignoring the existence of DKC2 altogether. I don't know if they realize that while DKC sold a lot more units, DKC2 was by far the better game.

Tathanen said:
Alternatively: don't laugh at anyone, because it makes you out to be a braindead toddler who can't function in grown-up dialog.

There have been enough accounts that claim absolutely no delay or issues with the motion controls, so please put a cap on your knee-jerk reaction to anecdotal accounts that support your agenda.

Also: no one claimed that "waggling is the best way to play games" you troglodyte, but I understand that it's easier to rage against a make-believe and comically one-sided argument than a reasonable one.

Even if there's one single account of delay or any issue with the controls against a thousand glowing accounts, it raises suspicion. Stick that up your pipe and smoke it, my criticism was valid, and you were dead wrong.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Why was it so hard to make rolling a button press? Really, serious question. It's like Retro was forced to add it in to validate the existence of motion controls in the Wiimote. That's how I see it at least, doesn't add anything to the experience. Mind you, I haven't yet played the game, but its the only aspect that worries me. Hopefully my fears are unfounded.

Eteric Rice

God, the first three or four levels and I'm already dying like a bitch.

Also, Amir0x, this is a completely different Donkey Kong Country. It controls a bit differently, and the platforming is 10 times better than the original. The levels are practically "alive" rather than static like they were on the SNES.

It really does feel like you're in a jungle.

Relix said:
Why was it so hard to make rolling a button press? Really, serious question. It's like Retro was forced to add it in to validate the existence of motion controls in the Wiimote. That's how I see it at least, doesn't add anything to the experience. Mind you, I haven't yet played the game, but its the only aspect that worries me. Hopefully my fears are unfounded.
Even though rolling is not mapped to a single button press, you get used to it and it starts to come naturally without even thinking.

agrajag

Banned
Relix said:

I think Miyamoto or one of the other Nintendo big wigs forced the motion controls on them because he liked the way you could ground and pound with the motion controls in Jungle Beat.

edit: it doesn't seem like rolling plays as big of a role in this game as it did in DKC1-3, so it might not be that big of a deal. I'm going to pick up the game tomorrow (if it's not sold out), I hope it doesn't frustrate the hell out of me.

BTW, is the thing where Diddy rolls on top of Donkey like on the steel kegs in DKC1 the standard roll when you have Diddy? That looks like it might be cool.

D-Pad

Relix said:
The rolljump has been powered up big time and I always seem to over-shoot everytime I use it. So in a way, I'm thankful it's NOT button mapped. :lol I'd be using it all the time and always over shooting the platforms.

That said, I do kind of wish it were mapped to a button, and then rolling would be simpler. It's easy to get used to as it is now, but yeah that my only gripe about the controls (playing wii-mote only). That and Diddy's jetpack throws my timings off sometimes.

edit: it doesn't seem like rolling plays as big of a role in this game as it did in DKC1-3, so it might not be that big of a deal. I'm going to pick up the game tomorrow (if it's not sold out), I hope it doesn't frustrate the hell out of me.

This is true, I haven't been using it a lot. They'll be a couple of moments where something will be floating over a cliff where you'll roll-jump, and then a couple of enemies, but it's nowhere near as important as it was in the SNES games.

BTW, is the thing where Diddy rolls on top of Donkey like on the steel kegs in DKC1 the standard roll when you have Diddy? That looks like it might be cool.

Yes. :) But you gotta keep moving the remote or you'll stop.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
agrajag said:
Even if there's one single account of delay or any issue with the controls against a thousand glowing accounts, it raises suspicion. Stick that up your pipe and smoke it, my criticism was valid, and you were dead wrong.

You know what, I am not doing this again, I don't know why you think you are bringing up some kind of new point. You are entitled to your annoying bullshit, I hope it keeps you satisfied.

Off to play DKCR.

Just finished the first 3 levels and wow already impressed, the levels are nice and long, a ton of secrets. The nunchuk/wiimote controls work great imo, ive been able to pull off long jumps no problem. Retro proves again they can be trusted with another nintendo franchise. Give them zelda next nintendo!

Just as I expected, the controls are spot on and not an issue at all(I haven't tried the remote sideways yet).

I like the early levels a lot, they are great introductory levels and can't wait to 100% the game in a few years.

TheExodu5

Banned
Snuggler said:
Don't do that.

I'm sure there are plenty of people, at least the dudes on GAF like Exodus and Stallion, that are legit and purchase the game before they emulate it.

I'm picking it up later today. Without a car at the moment.

I plan on posting Dolphin screenshots, and performance results. I'm not sure if I'll be able to run it at 1080p with 4x SSAA, since I don't have the best CPU, but I'm hoping.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Some of those puzzle pieces are going to take a while to find.

But yeah, the 1-K level is kicking my ass. No checkpoint, no Diddy and no heart pieces is brutal.

Game is awesome and i only did the first world. I like the music in the sunset level.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Okay so I did some experimenting in the first level.

At first, I did have a bunch of the trouble with the shake-to-roll. The trick to it is that it requires a much more significant jerk than any of the Mario games have required. I'm used to it now and pulling it off successfully every time, but the extra effort may be what throws some people off initially. I'm not sure how anyone could accidentally roll in this, you have to really mean it. And there's definitely no delay whatsoever, or at least, no more delay than NSMBW/Galaxy/Galaxy2. If you're seeing one, your Wii is broken.

For those like me who were annoyed by DK's weird arms-down pose after jumping on a dude, it seems he does the traditional air-somersault if you do the press-A-upon-impact-to-jump-higher thing. So that is reassuring!

Pretty good so far!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Tathanen said:
Okay so I did some experimenting in the first level.

At first, I did have a bunch of the trouble with the shake-to-roll. The trick to it is that it requires a much more significant jerk than any of the Mario games have required. I'm used to it now and pulling it off successfully every time, but the extra effort may be what throws some people off initially. I'm not sure how anyone could accidentally roll in this, you have to really mean it. And there's definitely no delay whatsoever, or at least, no more delay than NSMBW/Galaxy/Galaxy2. If you're seeing one, your Wii is broken.

For those like me who were annoyed by DK's weird arms-down pose after jumping on a dude, it seems he does the traditional air-somersault if you do the press-A-upon-impact-to-jump-higher thing. So that is reassuring!

Pretty good so far!
With Nunchuk controls, only the initial shake needs a little bit of extra force. To continue ground pounding, rolling, and blowing you can use a much lighter movement after starting up.

gimz

Relix said:
i always wonder people who worry about the rolling montion control, have you ever play New Super Mario Brother Wii? the montion of spinning is so easy to pull off and it comes so natural when you are playing it, the only montion control i didnt like on NSMBW was the tilting level thing, i hate it

D-Pad

I find myself shaking the wiimote when attempting to double-jump or activate Diddy's jetpack. NSMBWii did something to me.:lol

gimz

oh my god i want this game so bad, but i cant get it cuz if i do my girlfriend will be angry, but im pretty sure she will get it for me for christmas, because i have been talking about this a lot lately, so maybe i will just ask her to buy it for me today instead of waiting till christmas :lol, i cant wait!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gimz said:
oh my god i want this game so bad, but i cant get it cuz if i do my girlfriend will be angry, but im pretty sure she will get it for me for christmas, because i have been talking about this a lot lately, so maybe i will just ask her to buy it for me today instead of waiting till christmas :lol, i cant wait!

Get DK now, axe for Epic Mickey for Christmas.

I'll probably go with DK first since it's likely to be the better game, but it's a tough choice. Oh well, I'll play both within the next month either way.

I wish my girlfriend would buy me games... :/

Anyone get the game at Toys R Us with the t-shirt? If so, do you have any control over the size? I'm not a huge guy and I'd rather just take the $10 Target GC if it's a "one-size fits all" XXXXXXL shirt.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Anyone get the game at Toys R Us with the t-shirt? If so, do you have any control over the size? I'm not a huge guy and I'd rather just take the $10 Target GC if it's a "one-size fits all" XXXXXXL shirt.

I don't think I've ever seen a gaming shirt released for a game come in anything smaller than a large, honestly.

Negator

Bah, I should've woke up earlier, have to go to a family birthday shindig and won't be able to play until after. I'll be lost in Donkey Kong land for a while :D

Tathanen said:

I think this might have been the issue I was having. I think the delay I was experiencing was due to the fact that I would start the shake too softly and by the time it recognized what I was doing & animated the action on screen, I was interpreting that as delay.

Either way, I've switched over to the wiimote & nunchuk style for now. It only takes a quick flick up and down to get response, but I find it doesn't take as much force as it does when playing with the wiimote on it's side. About half-way through the second world, I started to feel comfortable.

I really do wish they had at least added the option to have classic controller support since there have still been a few instances where I didn't get the response I intended. And I'm well aware that's probably my failure to enact the gesture correctly, but I wouldn't be having those problems with button control.

The only other time that motion controls felt like a nuisance to me was in one of the world 3 levels playing as Rambi. To do Rambi's charge, you have to shake the Wii Remote & nunchuk. Trying to keep this momentum of constantly flicking the controllers while jumping on small platforms is not fun or intuitive.

Still loving the rest of the game. Wish you could blow up the concept art to look at it in more detail. They have one of the best art teams out there, and it's a shame their work is framed in such a way. Maybe there's an option for this that I didn't see.

Again, I don't mean to sound overly negative. I really do enjoy going through the levels and the variety in each stage. But I also wanted to highlight some small frustrations I am having with the game.

JacksUsername said:
The only other time that motion controls felt like a nuisance to me was in one of the world 3 levels playing as Rambi. To do Rambi's charge, you have to shake the Wii Remote & nunchuk. Trying to keep this momentum of constantly flicking the controllers while jumping on small platforms is not fun or intuitive.

I thought it was pretty intuitive--it controls just like the ground-pound.

I rather liked them--the controls help convey the feeling that you're riding a rampaging beast.

D-Pad

I didn't even know Rambi could charge.:lol You certainly don't need to use it to clear any obstacles, if that helps any.

D-Pad said:
I didn't even know Rambi could charge.:lol You certainly don't need to use it to clear any obstacles, if that helps any.

Ah, I wasn't sure if at the end of those platforms, when you run into the wall and it shakes a bit before you fall to the ground, I thought maybe you had to be in full charge to knock over that wall or something. I haven't found all the secrets for that level yet, so I was getting frustrated, thinking it was hiding something there.

Anasui Kishibe said:
man, dude's dying a LOT

That tidal wave level robbed me of so many lives as well :lol

Trurl

Banned
I bought this game a half hour ago but I won't be reunited with my Wii until late on Wednesday night. The wait is going to drive me bananas.

Amir0x

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
God, the first three or four levels and I'm already dying like a bitch.

Also, Amir0x, this is a completely different Donkey Kong Country. It controls a bit differently, and the platforming is 10 times better than the original. The levels are practically "alive" rather than static like they were on the SNES.

It really does feel like you're in a jungle.

please leave me out of this thread now, I don't want this game. :lol I'd buy it, hate it, post the reasons why and then everyone would call me a troll.

For those interested in co op impressions it works great. My wife and I are having an awesome time. We just beat first boss and were both using motion controls. No issues with motion controls. If you are used to platforming on the Wii with motion control I don't think you will have an issue with it. I have not tried single player yet but I really don't want to since co op is so awesome.

LevityNYC

Banned
Played for 25 minutes and had an amazing time with it. So far its all I wanted it to be. The roll controls work surprisingly well with waggle. Oh, by the way, I only beat the 1st level of the game.

I got 8 of the 9 puzzle pieces and KONG, but I have no clue where the last one is and Speed running the level in 57 seconds looks completely impossible.

Top Bottom