• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question, I may go pick this up today, how long is the game?

hatchx

Banned
LevityNYC said:
Played for 25 minutes and had an amazing time with it. So far its all I wanted it to be. The roll controls work surprisingly well with waggle. Oh, by the way, I only beat the 1st level of the game.

I got 8 of the 9 puzzle pieces and KONG, but I have no clue where the last one is and Speed running the level in 57 seconds looks completely impossible.

Getting gold for TT on this level would be a thing of champions.

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Quick question, I may go pick this up today, how long is the game?

If you rush through, 7-8 hours. But there is so much more to do, such as find secret items and unlock further levels, that it can easily be doubled, if not more.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
First impressions:

+ Best graphics I've personally seen in a 2.5d platformer. Insane detail and animation in the ambient environment, and for those who didn't know, Retro pulls a Metroid Prime here by constructing custom, one of a kind level scenery for each stage all the way through. In terms of art direction and consistent quality, it smashes the dial and hits a 15. Oh yeah, and so far a rock solid 60fps. In Co-op.

+ It's not easy at all. First minecart level is a preview of oldschool pain to come. That, and unlike New Super Mario Bros, the "optional" collectables like K-O-N-G, coins, and puzzle pieces are not 95% braindead obvious and easy to collect.

+ About the gameplay though, holy shit: I can't believe how good the level design is. The stages flow like liquid at times, brilliant channeling of the player into what they need to be doing, but then they're built for time trials later so the layout has to be on point. Constant interesting mechanics and gadgets to interact with in the first 3 worlds so far. Reaches that Mario quality where every stage of every world does something new and different. Also, the control feels flawless once you realize DK actually moves like a gorilla and has weight. He slides when changing direction suddenly. But the actual quality of the physical interaction feels superior to Rare's SNES games IMHO.

+ Great, great remixes of the classic tunes. I don't know yet if a lack of wholly new tunes will be good or bad (are there new stage themes later on? We'll see shortly.) But the remixes are A+ quality.

- Waggle - I'm putting waggle here only because I do agree there's no reason not to have CC support in this game. Unlike New SMB or even Wario Land Shake It, tilt isn't used that I can see. However, I am playing it in horizontal wiimote mode as a test. The critical thing is that the shake moves aren't primary play mechanics; you don't rely on them. A shake to roll while holding left/right actually feels kind of natural is the thing; the sensitivity seems about the same as spin in Mario Galaxy - the thing is, you must realize in Galaxy it's easy to snap the wiimote in one hand, so the shake /seems/ easier to do there. A snap with two hands isn't quite as instant or thoughtless, so it feels chunkier. Sensitivity is spot-on though with no control lag.

So basically, aside from the blatant omission of CC support, so far it is the second coming of DKC. Retro turns in an incredible job and also shows they can design platformers like goddamn God-tier pros. Seriously, again the level layouts are fan-tas-tic.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
redbarchetta said:
If you rush through, 7-8 hours. But there is so much more to do, such as find secret items and unlock further levels, that it can easily be doubled, if not more.

7-8 hours works for me. I'll pick it up. F it.

HeySeuss

BuddhaRockstar said:
Anyone get the game at Toys R Us with the t-shirt? If so, do you have any control over the size? I'm not a huge guy and I'd rather just take the $10 Target GC if it's a "one-size fits all" XXXXXXL shirt.
I got this deal and I was able to get a regular large. That was the smallest the had left, but you do get to pick.

taoofjord

About to finsish the first world. I'm a huge, huge fan of platformers and this one definitely has the chance to end up as one of my all-time favorites. How refreshing, too, because I was disappointed with both NSMB DS and Wii. The feel of moving Donky Kong through the level is amazing. I don't mind the waggle controls, even though I'd prefer those actions to be activated by a button press. The game is also flat-out GORGEOUS.

epmode

Kaijima said:
Retro turns in an incredible job and also shows they can design platformers like goddamn God-tier pros. Seriously, again the level layouts are fan-tas-tic.
I just finished the first world and god damn do I agree with this. I was worried that nonstop Metroid Prime had worn them down but this game proves otherwise. Brilliant so far and it honestly shames NSMBW when it comes to polish and presentation.

The only downside I can see is that the waggle is just as annoying here as it is in nearly everything else. Short of Nintendo being a jackass, I can't see why they didn't bother including CC support with the ground pound mapped to another button (and if there's tilt stuff later, that could still be mapped to shoulder buttons).

I'd love to see what Retro could do with their own IP!

hatchx

Banned
taoofjord said:
About to finsish the first world. I'm a huge, huge fan of platformers and this one definitely has the chance to end up as one of my all-time favorites. How refreshing, too, because I was disappointed with both NSMB DS and Wii. The feel of moving Donky Kong through the level is amazing. I don't mind the waggle controls, even though I'd prefer those actions to be activated by a button press. The game is also flat-out GORGEOUS.

Let me just say:

-it gets better and better and better
-you will get more used to the controls

totowhoa

Banned
I'm really, really loving this game. One of the BEST platformers in ages. On world 3 now with my own save file. Best friend and my fiance have each really enjoyed it. We've just been passing the controller around on a group file. Haven't tried co-op yet. Only 100%'d one level so far, and that's not for lack of exploration. Man, I have no idea where some of these pieces are at! I've yet to try Squawks though... he'll definitely be necessary to find some of these pieces.

Hiltz

Darn. Here I was right about to go out the door to buy the game and then something had to happen. I smelled a gas leak coming from the garage. It will probably take all day for the gas company to come out now.

I need my Dunkey Kong!

By the way, how are the boss battles in the game ? Some look pretty creative and change up their attack strategy after getting hit a few times.

HeySeuss

I've only played the first 2 levels in the first world. So far I've spent almost an hour 100%ing them. The timetrials mode? That's some old school difficulty right there.

This game will destroy your ego in a hurry.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Wow, excellent job retro. This game is awesome. Serious goty contender. It's a brilliant mix of old dkc base mixed with tons of new retro additions. Awesome!

EzLink

Banned
Just got up to world 6. So many levels have kicked my ass hard so far :lol Even some of the KONG letters are incredibly tricky

And 100%ing everything without a guide seems like it could be downright impossible (although I haven't used Squawks in a level yet, perhaps he makes finding the puzzle pieces easy enough to forgo outside help)

This game is just brilliant, I absolutely love it

The M.O.B

Game is niceeeeeeeeee, challenging, and Fun, and i'm only up to world 3.

One complaint is the generic enemy design, its down right terrible.

Oh and the controls take a single level to get used to. Stop complaining people.

taoofjord

I wouldn't call the enemy designs generic, I'd call them simple, but I mean that in a good way. They are beautifully animated, colorful, and full of personality. Even the squid bullets are fun to watch. The first boss was awesome, too (and really enjoyed his "death")

LevityNYC

Banned
Poor design decision in that you need to can't replay bonus stages unless you restart the level or die. Also, you dont get credit for puzzle pieces unless you beat the level after collecting them.

Rich!

LevityNYC said:
Poor design decision in that you need to can't replay bonus stages unless you restart the level or die.

Exactly the same as in DKC2 and DKC3. I didnt mind it then, so I won't mind it this time.

LevityNYC said:
Poor design decision in that you need to can't replay bonus stages unless you restart the level or die. Also, you dont get credit for puzzle pieces unless you beat the level after collecting them.

I agree with those decisions, actually

Zzoram

Model 500 said:
How's the co-op? Close to NSMBWii?

The fact that Diddy controls differently than DK has me a bit concerned for co-op play. I hope it's a relatively equal co-op experience and that Diddy isn't just a side helper.

Zzoram

LevityNYC said:

NSMBDS and NSMBW were like that for star coins.

LevityNYC

Banned
bytesized said:
I agree with those decisions, actually

Why? Its stupid. It leads to situations where you intentionally have to kill yourself or pause and restart. It doesn't make it more difficult, it just makes it annoying.

HeySeuss

LevityNYC said:
That's called challenge. Builds tension knowing that you only get one shot at getting all the bananas and beating the clock for the puzzle piece.

Zzoram said:
The fact that Diddy controls differently than DK has me a bit concerned for co-op play. I hope it's a relatively equal co-op experience and that Diddy isn't just a side helper.

If anything, DK would be the helper...what it boils down to is Diddy is slightly better. Being as this game isn't competitive at all (even less so than New Super Mario Bros Wii), it hasn't been a factor at all in my play-throughs. Instead, it seems like their less experienced player should get Diddy, while the more experience Donkey.

Zzoram

LevityNYC said:
Why? Its stupid. It leads to situations where you intentionally have to kill yourself or pause and restart. It doesn't make it more difficult, it just makes it annoying.

In NSMBW the best way to get star coins that required insane skills in a high risk spot was for 1 player to suicide for it while the other player stayed alive and continued on with the level.

LevityNYC said:

Keyword here for me would be BONUS. But, yeah, I still don't have the game so maybe I'll be annoyed by it too when I do, I'll let you know.

LevityNYC said:
But they're bonus rooms. If you can re-enter the bonus rooms, you'll just get infinite bonuses. Also, I can't think of too many games where you can re-enter bonus areas multiple times per level.

To be fair, I haven't played DKC:R yet but I'm basing my post on old DKC games.

LevityNYC

Banned
Zzoram said:
In NSMBW the best way to get star coins that required insane skills in a high risk spot was for 1 player to suicide for it while the other player stayed alive and continued on with the level.

Its annoying that there is a bonus stage 5 seconds from the end of the level and you mistime a jump and you fail the bonus stage. Rather than going back and trying again, you need to find the nearest pit and jump in and restart at the midway point.

Same goes for bonus stages right at the start of the level. You beat the bonus stages and then you die right before the midway point. You need to restart the level and then get the bonus stage, and then you need to beat the level again.

Its just annoying.

LevityNYC

Banned
Shick Brithouse said:
Only after you died. If you screwed up you couldn't retry them untold you lost a life.
Maybe I misremembered, but I definitely don't remember having to replay bonus stages. Once you beat it, you were done with it.

Top Bottom