• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

daakusedo

I didn't have the game yet but I feel that rolling will be better with the nunchuk scheme.
In Mario, the spin feels right cause that's a more vertical move while like I said, in Donkey kong, that's more like bowling and DK going forward, so I hope the feeling is as great as I imagine.

epmode

daakusedo said:
In Mario, the spin feels right cause that's a more vertical move while like I said, in Donkey kong, that's more like bowling and DK going forward, so I hope the feeling is as great as I imagine.
It's not great. It's a pointless annoyance that could easily have been fixed by an option classic controller scheme. But then Nintendo couldn't brag about immersion or something. What else is new.

Regardless, it's still absolutely worth playing right now. AND I'm already looking forward to playing an emulated hack that maps waggle to a button press.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
daakusedo said:
I didn't have the game yet but I feel that rolling will be better with the nunchuk scheme.
Once you get the hang of it, its second nature. As other people are starting to see. Vital in order to do well in the time attacks as infinite roll with Diddy is a must to obtain gold!

Kard8p3

KevinCow said:
YESSS, finally beat that asshole final boss.

Now to get 100%.

Hopefully that doesn't require gold medals, because fuck that.

Can anyone that has this game confirm if
Mirror mode is really one of the 100% rewards?

Socreges

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
It's always the same thing. Every Wii platformer should have CC support and waggle sucks.

Yet the PS3 controller looks almost identical to the PS1 controller, and the 360 controller looks almost the same as the XBOX controller. Only Nintendo changes their controllers every generation. There won't be any controller options for PS3 and 360 games because there's only one (technically you can say Move is an alternate control option).

Not everyone has a CC: I think it's marketed for VC games. But everyone has a Wii remote and a nunchuk. Why not develop your games to support the new controller option? And why not implement motion controls? Isn't this gen all about motion controls? Did anyone complain about waggle in Galaxy?

It sounds like some people want their classic game and their classic controls too. God forbid developers try anything new, like a new controller design (strangely enough the Wii remote works really well sideways and forward-facing) and motion controls.
Why are you acting as if the different options are mutually exclusive? As if we can't have CC support unless the motion controls are then excluded? And don't be so damn sensitive.

Fact is that the most intuitive control scheme would be with the CC (at least, for many of us) and there is no logical reason (that we have identified) that justifies its exclusion. Shake-to-roll is simply not as intuitive as a single button press would be.

Now Ima go play.

No problems with shaking to roll here. Using nunchuck setup. I prefer motion control in my games, it feels right to me.

This game is fucking stout :)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Kard8p3 said:
I haven't played it yet so I can't say for sure but it should easily be better than the first DKC. DKC while good was never as great as people claimed. DKC2 is where it's at (though even that game is somewhat overrated.)

But... that's your opinion. I love DKC. My favorite is certainly 2, but DKC is one of my favorite games of all time. I can speed run the hell out of that one.

Threi

notag
the more i play the more i love wiimote + nunchuk. No way in hell would I ever prefer Gamecube controller/Classic Controller over it.

also, just realized today that NSMBWii supports nunchuk.

*themoreyouknow.jpg*

Oli

Threi said:
the more i play the more i love wiimote + nunchuk. No way in hell would I ever prefer Gamecube controller/Classic Controller over it.

*themoreyouknow.jpg*

Wuuuuuuut?? D:

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
After playing a few more hours, still loving it. Once again my main problems are in the motion sensing, more rolling when I want to pound. I know that all you have to do is let go of the analog, but sometimes you're moving quick and have to hit the ground really quickly in between, and when I go to switch I'll roll rather than ground pound.

That being said one of the things I don't like so far that everyone else has seemed to love has been the rocket barrels. Cool sequences I guess, but it feels unresponsive, which is what leads me to my next question. Does anybody else ever have problems with their wiimote? I've played my wii obviously I've had it since launch, and I noticed this in NSMB, but I'll push the a button and it'll respond about a second or 2 later. This is huge in this game where everything is about timing and precision. I've now tried three remotes and this continues to kill me in the game.

Threi

notag
1. it's more comfortable.

2. "shaking" isn't a difficult or innacurate action with the wiimote alone, but it's even less so with the nunchuk. Due to the separate controlers, you can shake without losing grip on either controller unlike if you were holding onto a singular controller with both hands.

oracrest said:
It's my preferred method of playing. I like only having to "deal" with the wiimote without untangling the nunchuk every time I pick up the controller. It reminds me of the simplicity of NES controller again. I also enjoy holding down the run button, and using my thumb knuckle to hit the jump button when needed. The shaking doesn't bother me, I just give it a strong "whip", like the reigns of a horse, and I am good to go.

Exactly this. I love playing with the sideways remote; feels natural.

KevinCow

Banned
I feel like the blow move is kinda pointless. Functionally, it's nearly identical to the ground pound in that it's mainly used to activate things. But it doesn't have the offensive abilities of the ground pound, except against a small handful of enemies.

So I dunno, I don't really even get why it's in the game.

VAIL

This game is awesome, went with standalone wiimote after trying it both ways....there is no issue with "shake rolling" at all as far as I am concerned. The game look stellar and those silhouette levels are amazing.

WillyFive

KevinCow said:
I feel like the blow move is kinda pointless. Functionally, it's nearly identical to the ground pound in that it's mainly used to activate things. But it doesn't have the offensive abilities of the ground pound, except against a small handful of enemies.

So I dunno, I don't really even get why it's in the game.

Tell me.

In your honest opinion.

Is this a big enough deal to make a post about it?

Threi said:

*themoreyouknow.jpg*
Oh wow, I just checked the box and manual to see if it's true. Dunno how I missed that.

Vizion28

Banned
I'm at the end of World 5 and I've already concluded this game is the best sidescrolling platformer game ever. Sorry Super Mario Bros. 3. Yes, the game is that good.

We have a classic here folks. This game should easily make many critics' top 50 games list of all time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't think the Wiimote shaking is quite as sensitive as NSMBWii, but it's pretty solid. I feel like I have to give it a harder jerk here to get a reaction.
That's what she said.

I sure as hell hope I'm never going to be expected to do well on those time trials. The times for golds look brutal.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Threi said:

2. "shaking" isn't a difficult or innacurate action with the wiimote alone, but it's even less so with the nunchuk. Due to the separate controlers, you can shake without losing grip on either controller unlike if you were holding onto a singular controller with both hands.

Ever since I played Twilight Princess, I realized that the nunchuk/wiimote combo was a really comfortable way to play even mostly traditional games, just 'cause the hands can droop casually and comfortably to either side. I think for games where you end up holding a direction on a stick for a long time, it's better. For stuff with lots of small, tense, precise movements, a pad or arcade style stick that keeps your hands together is probably best.

I wouldn't prefer playing NSMB with chukwiimote as you are really doing a lot of fiddly adjustments while playing the game. But DKC's levels are designed like flowing rivers that you navigate at speed - especially since Return's levels are designed with time trials explicitly in mind.

Lijik

I'm three levels in and I'm having a great time so far. I'm a lil drunk so the game is probably harder than it should be (I did a couple of times on level one for instance) but fuck it, game is fun.
Playing it wiimote on side, not having any control problems. I do kind of agree with Kevincow that the donkey blow seems a bit useless in my limited time with it, but its not a big deal.
EDIT- I love DK's animations, goddamn.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
oracrest said:
It's my preferred method of playing. I like only having to "deal" with the wiimote without untangling the nunchuk every time I pick up the controller. It reminds me of the simplicity of NES controller again. I also enjoy holding down the run button, and using my thumb knuckle to hit the jump button when needed. The shaking doesn't bother me, I just give it a strong "whip", like the reigns of a horse, and I am good to go. I just had to get used to that split second of anticipating the roll, which after playing games like Demon's souls and Monster Hunter, I don't mind having to slightly anticipate an action.
You are crazy. Reminds you of the simplicity of the NES controller, even though you're playing a series that originated on the SNES? Oh well, guess this will be a discussion for all eternity. Who knows what they were thinking.

Socreges

Banned
Threi said:
I think the CC would be perfectly comfortable for a sidescroller. But OK.

Threi said:
Now you're comparing the wiimote+nunchuk to the wiimote held sideways. We're talking about the CC scheme where you'd press (or hold) a button instead of having to shake the controller.

So yeah, I don't get why your opinion is so extreme, unless it's a defensive reaction to all the people calling for the option....?

Willy 105 said:
Tell me.

In your honest opinion.

And what about your post? Was his post a big enough deal that you had to actually address its value (and to himself)? Ridiculous.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Lathentar said:
You are crazy. Reminds you of the simplicity of the NES controller, even though you're playing a series that originated on the SNES? Oh well, guess this will be a discussion for all eternity. Who knows what they were thinking.

You are silly. There's virtually no difference between a NES and SNES controller besides a few buttons; all later gamepads even, begin to morph and bloat their shapes far away from the classic "Nintendo Paddles". And virtually everyone of age who played platformers back in the day thinks of SMB on the NES, with its single jump and single run button, as being the formative experience against which all platformers are compared; including those originating on consoles with two extra face buttons on their pads.

I bet you go to ren faires and tell the people dressed as elves that they're crazy because elves are not historically accurate!

;)

Kandinsky

User33 said:
First GAF impressions from Epic Mickey are less than stellar, so I'd wait for review scores/more GAF impressions before making that decision
I trust in WS, and i took an oath on getting anything with his name on, plus game looks amazing and according to people it plays like an N64 platformer, which is always a plus. I will probably get both games on the 30 anyway:lol

Platy

Can someone please answer me a quick question ?

How does the life system works playing coop ?

I might play a lot with my 13 year old sister (i know ... i know) and i might hold a little if it is one of those games that if she dies 387 times MY lifes are wasted =x

Socreges

Banned
Platy said:
Can someone please answer me a quick question ?

How does the life system works playing coop ?

I might play a lot with my 13 year old sister (i know ... i know) and i might hold a little if it is one of those games that if she dies 387 times MY lifes are wasted =x
Each time a player dies, you have to use a balloon to have them come back. So yes, she will use plenty of your balloons. Just go back and play the first world with her while trying to collect as many items as possible so you can continue to replenish your lives.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Kaijima said:
You are silly. There's virtually no difference between a NES and SNES controller besides a few buttons; all later gamepads even, begin to morph and bloat their shapes far away from the classic "Nintendo Paddles". And virtually everyone of age who played platformers back in the day thinks of SMB on the NES, with its single jump and single run button, as being the formative experience against which all platformers are compared; including those originating on consoles with two extra face buttons on their pads.

I bet you go to ren faires and tell the people dressed as elves that they're crazy because elves are not historically accurate!

;)
I went to a ren faire yesterday and did no such thing!

Nabs

I've been playing with my SNES controller, and shake mapped to X works perfectly. It's too bad there aren't any CC options. I blame Nintendo :(

KevinCow

Banned
Willy105 said:
Tell me.

In your honest opinion.

You really shouldn't try to call other people out for making bad posts. Stones, glass houses, and all that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nabs said:
I've been playing with my SNES controller, and shake mapped to X works perfectly. It's too bad there aren't any CC options. I blame Nintendo :(

Sadly I can't run the game full speed. Gonna have to wait until I to my next PC build. :(

Kandinsky said:
I trust in WS, and i took an oath on getting anything with his name on, plus game looks amazing and according to people it plays like an N64 platformer, which is always a plus. I will probably get both games on the 30 anyway:lol

Warren Spector hasn't made a good game in a decade now, and you trust in him? Really? REALLY? :lol

Epic Mickey will probably be around $10-15 after Christmas, so I'll pick it up around then. I'm not saying it's going to bomb, but they are going to print 50 million copies of it so there will be plenty for the after-Christmas clearance sales. Donkey Kong Country Returns on the other hand I will travel through time and purchase yesterday. Because I feel sad that I waited until today to buy it. If there's anyone you should trust these days, it's Retro Studios.

(major spoilers)

Kard8p3 said:
Can anyone that has this game confirm if
Mirror mode is really one of the 100% rewards?
Just in case no one has said so yet,
yes, yes it is.

Also, the final boss is a
furking ashpole

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
How can you guys beat a game so quickly? Might just be me, but I like to take my time playing a game. With a glass of cognac.

DMG-01

Just got this game and played through world one with my roommate; I'm using the W+N and he's using the Wiimote horizontally. It's my first DKC game unless you count DKL and DKL2 and I'm having lots of fun. And as a bonus, I'm finding that the game is definitely harder than expected. :lol

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Any score under a 9 is off base.

I'm sorry.

I’d actually say under a 9.5! The only complaint that seems valid to me are the sometimes iffy motion controls.

I mean other than that, what else can you actually complain about? It’s pretty much platforming perfection! :D

WillyFive

Socreges said:
And what about your post? Was his post a big enough deal that you had to actually address its value (and to himself)? Ridiculous.

You got it. The deeper we go into something, the less weird it is to talk about it, because the ice has been broken.

Which can be a problem when we are debating the merits of the move where Donkey Kong crouches to blow air into plants.

KevinCow said:
You really shouldn't try to call other people out for making bad posts. Stones, glass houses, and all that.

Bad =/= unnecessary

And it's all glass here, we replace panes daily.

miladesn said:

Before anyone complains, Gamespot gives 8.5 to every Wii game.

Kard8p3

othersteve said:
(major spoilers)

Just in case no one has said so yet,
yes, yes it is.

Also, the final boss is a
furking ashpole

Alright thanks for confirming it. Could you elaborate on that last part?

Top Bottom