• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Willy105 said:
KevinCow said:
I feel like the blow move is kinda pointless. Functionally, it's nearly identical to the ground pound in that it's mainly used to activate things. But it doesn't have the offensive abilities of the ground pound, except against a small handful of enemies.

So I dunno, I don't really even get why it's in the game.

Tell me.

In your honest opinion.

Is this a big enough deal to make a post about it?

Willy, I don't wanna sound like a jerk, but your tag is deserved.

Socreges

Banned
Sklorenz said:
:lol

Sometimes I feel bad for Willy :(
I've noticed that normally the people with the really brutal tags are the ones that are also the most disciplined.

Willy can't deny reality, however. :(

totowhoa

Banned
Socreges said:
I've noticed that normally the people with the really brutal tags are the ones that are also the most disciplined.

Willy can't deny reality, however. :(

Yeah, I dread the day that I get a tag that makes any amount of sense D: People like you... you're fine... few know what the fuck that rubbish is below your handle.

I decided to try out the D-pad for whatever reason and holy shit...I've never had a game handle walking and running with a dpad the way this game does. The different intervals you can press a direction to have walk slowly, normally, and run is kind of mind fucking me right now. Its such a simple inclusion, but its one of those things you never thing of until it happens. Has any game done this before?

Socreges

Banned
Sklorenz said:
Yeah, I dread the day that I get a tag that makes any amount of sense D: People like you... you're fine... few know what the fuck that rubbish is below your handle.
:lol

bishoptl and I are Canucks fans. Thus the tag. You'll occasionally see confusing tags that probably have the same origins.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Watching the introduction video, the audio that plays when the Tikis hypnotise is so Metroid Prime.

robox

having played up to world 3...

i hate shaking to roll. mapping such an essential platforming maneuver being left to a laggy and vague motion seems like a bad idea.

there are parts where the level design feels like it's memorization based. it would take a few lives to feel out the situation and figure out what to do. like just after the checkpoint of the first minecart level: to jump or just drop down to the lower level. in dkc, there'd often be well placed bananas to give a hint at what to do.

I browsed through the first couple of levels late last night... god damn!

This feels so much like Donkey Kong Country, the DNA IS there. I thought Retro was a shadow of it's former shell but this plays, sounds and looks so awesome!

I'm still wondering why the company logo doesn't even appear at the beginning of the game...

Annoying Old Party Man said:
I browsed through the first couple of levels late last night... god damn!

This feels so much like Donkey Kong Country, the DNA IS there. I thought Retro was a shadow of it's former shell but this plays, sounds and looks so awesome!

I'm still wondering why the company logo doesn't even appear at the beginning of the game...

Do you see EAD TOKYO when you load up Mario Galaxy? No. It really doesn't mean anything, regardless of whether Retro have done it in the past.

_Alkaline_ said:
Come on dude you don't even have the game yet.

Not saying you're wrong, but dude. Dude.

I've pretty much seen the whole game through videos numerous times.

I don't need to play the game to know I'm right.
No......I am not joking.

Celine

Retro Studios is a great team ( emphasis on team ).

Well, they are Nintendo ( and one of the best team too ) so it's not that surprising.

Oh God, I had to quit playing just now. Crowded Caverns nearly gave me a rage-induced coronary.

BUT IT'S SO GODDAMN GOOD.

Is Retro up for Best Developer at VGAs?

_Alkaline_ said:
Do you see EAD TOKYO when you load up Mario Galaxy? No. It really doesn't mean anything, regardless of whether Retro have done it in the past.

EAD Tokyo was never an official developer name for the studio. Retro Studios is the official name of the developer, not Nintendo. Just saying, I like to see logos before my Donkey Kong screen.

EAD Tokyo was never an official developer name for the studio. Retro Studios is the official name of the developer, not Nintendo. Just saying, I like to see logos before my Donkey Kong screen.
We had this with Metroid: Other M where we only saw Team Ninja's logo right at the end credits. I thought it was quite odd not to show the developer of the game during boot up, especially since it's the norm to do so. It might be a new Nintendo policy regarding collaborations, which would be a sad thing if it really is.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm puzzled by the choice to not have the game automatically restart a time trial when you die. It takes you back to the start but with the clock still running. Why would I ever continue that? So then you have to pause and manually tell it to restart. It's just the sort of quirk that will make failing on time trials really damned annoying, especially after experiencing the instant replay of Super Meat Boy.

wackojackosnose said:
We had this with Metroid: Other M where we only saw Team Ninja's logo right at the end credits. I thought it was quite odd not to show the developer of the game during boot up, especially since it's the norm to do so. It might be a new Nintendo policy regarding collaborations, which would be a sad thing if it really is.
Retro wouldn't be a collaboration, though.

Kard8p3

wackojackosnose said:

Retro is 100% owned by Nintendo though so it wouldn't be a collaboration.

Ignis Fatuus said:
Retro wouldn't be a collaboration, though.
Kard8p3 said:
Retro is 100% owned by Nintendo though so it wouldn't be a collaboration.
Yeah, I know, my miswording sucks! I meant that it was just strange that the MOM doesn't show the developer of the game until the very end and it's also quite strange that DKCR also doesn't, regardless of the developer being a 1st or 3rd party.

They lost a few key leads, which prompted lots of doom & gloom about the team, but it seems that their departure was perhaps overblown. I don't know who stepped up internally to take over the positions vacant, but they certainly appear to have done a bang-up job here.

Amir0x

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Nah, I don't care about the scores, it just seems a slap in the face for a game with design this creative and fun to get under that numerical score.

Tons of work must have gone into the level creation.

Tons of work and even care goes into a million games! Jesus christ score hounds are so absurd in every topic :lol

Amir0x said:
Tons of work and even care goes into a million games! Jesus christ score hounds are so absurd in every topic :lol

I don't care about the scores, I was just making light of how good this game is and that anyone that plays is would likely laugh at it all.

Tons of games aren't this good.

By the way, it's a 10/10.

But who cares?????

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Tons of games aren't this good.

By the way, it's a 10/10.

Internet_High_Five.jpg

The wait is killing me. Amazon didn't ship my game until yesterday, so I get it today. I don't get home from work until around midnight and then I'll probably stay up all night playing ;)

Cygnus X-1

I really can't be used to that soundtrack you know. It's not growing in me a bit compared to the old ones. Yamamoto should have worked on SNES sound chip before starting composing emotionless tracks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BowieZ said:
Having not played the game, isn't the remixed version more of an above-ground 'happy' Caribbean jazz style tune, rather than meant to have a haunting underwater feel that ebbs and flows like a current?
I haven't heard the remix of that song in the new game yet, so I'm not sure where it's used, but the fact that it is supposed to be a remix at all is what bothers me. If it were just another original song, that would be fine, but the aquatic theme used in the original was quite memorable and there's no reason to reference it if you're going to miss the target.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
World 4-2 was awesome. Retro keep blowing me away with what they did. The old DKC games are nothing compared to this. I like what they did with the Temple & Forest music remixes. The only one i'm slightly disappointed with is Aquatic Ambience & something doesn't feel right about the "winning music" when you beat a bonus lvl.

zigg

So, question.

Besides graphics, besides music.

Is there anyone out there who didn't particularly like the original DKCs that thinks DKCR is awesome?

I'm not trying to imply "nostalgia" or anything like that here at all. But while I'm a fan of a number of styles of platformers, I did not care for the original DKCs for a variety of reasons... yet I'm open to the thought that Retro might have made something really special here, and I'd like to hear from anyone who maybe feels similarly.

Eteric Rice

zigg said:
I'm not trying to imply "nostalgia" or anything like that here at all. But while I'm a fan of a number of styles of platformers, I did not care for the original DKCs for a variety of reasons... yet I'm open to the thought that Retro might have made something really special here, and I'd like to hear from anyone who maybe feels similarly.

We need to force Amir0x to buy or rent the game. I think he'd like this one, personally.

Top Bottom