• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’d actually say under a 9.5! The only complaint that seems valid to me are the sometimes iffy motion controls.

I mean other than that, what else can you actually complain about?

I am serious, not enough of the game.

And no, it's not short.

Kard8p3 said:
Alright thanks for confirming it. Could you elaborate on that last part?
You really want to know?

I guess I'll just say this:

He has one of the most ridiculously stupid and nearly impossible-to-avoid attacks in the history of 2-D...

Plus, another attack that hinges upon your ability to quickly roll out of the way. BUT! The roll mechanic is tragically mapped to the shaking of the Wii remote.

So yeah, this is probably, more than anything else, the most significant example of the problems induced by the Wii-mote shaking stuff.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Reviews are in, into the recommendation thread it goes!

3zOwN.png

Kard8p3

othersteve said:
You really want to know?

I guess I'll just say this:

He has one of the most ridiculously stupid and nearly impossible-to-avoid attacks in the history of 2-D...

Plus, another attack that hinges upon your ability to quickly roll out of the way. BUT! The roll mechanic is tragically mapped to the shaking of the Wii remote.

So yeah, this is probably, more than anything else, the most significant example of the problems induced by the Wii-mote shaking stuff.

Yeah spoilers for platformers don't bother me because they just make me more excited for the game. When you say final boss do you mean
the Giant andross tiki you fight at the end of world 8 or is there another secret boss sometime after that?

Flib

So I was excited for this game.

Expectations = shattered. At the end of world 3, may end up being my favorite platformer ever if this keeps up.

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’d actually say under a 9.5! The only complaint that seems valid to me are the sometimes iffy motion controls.

I mean other than that, what else can you actually complain about? It’s pretty much platforming perfection! :D

Come on dude you don't even have the game yet.

Not saying you're wrong, but dude. Dude.

jett

D-Member
This game is visually impeccable, detail and life everywhere you look. DKCR is right up there with SMG1 and SMG2 as one of Wii's best-looking games, I bow down to Retro's artists. BTW its a shame their name doesn't appear anywhere when you boot the game...

Game itself is great fun, although I'm only at the beginning. Level 1-K so far is the highlight, straight-up fucking awesome and hard as all fuck.

I don't have any issues with the motion controls, although my hands got a bit tired from all all pounding. :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Outtrigger888 said:
Would love to see this game on the 3DS at some point in time, seems perfect for it

Yup! In fact, I see it working like this:

left/right/up/down are mapped to the 3DS tilt sensor.

Jump to the left half of the lower touch screen, and ground pound to the right half of the touch screen.

To blow, you snap 3D photographs of objects blowing in a breeze (game incl. bluetooth fan accessory).

And roll is mapped to the mic; just blow to roll.

Perfect control scheme.

agrajag

Banned
first impressions:

can't roll through three enemies in a row with just donkey? Lame.

I don't like how his physics feel floaty compared to the old DKC games. I'm used to being able to turn on a dime.

Kai Dracon

SalsaShark said:
Jesus fuckin christ you are one insane person

Hey, I know it seems a touch counter-intuitive to use "blow" for rolling instead of for DK's blow move, but that's what the included fan is for!

Got to make use of those special immersive features!

This game feels like HEAVEN after coming from the lackluster platforming and control in Sonic Colors. The weight, the optimization, the framerate...it all lends itself very well to its overall design structure. Everything meshes together incredibly nice. I will say that, although it works fine, I would have rather had the roll mapped to a button instead of the waggle as well. The functionality feels fast and responsive, but I guess it's a bit weird for some reason. I'm not sure why, considering I didn't have any sort of odd feelings toward the spin in mario galaxy.

Either way, the game feels oh so right :D

Socreges

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Any score under a 9 is off base.

I'm sorry.
Some reviewers seem to be taking points away for the mere fact that it's not as ambitious/complex as a 3D platformer would be. So react accordingly. Just read the reviews, ignore the scores.

Socreges said:
Some reviewers seem to be taking points away for the mere fact that it's not as ambitious/complex as a 3D platformer would be. So react accordingly. Just read the reviews, ignore the scores.

Nah, I don't care about the scores, it just seems a slap in the face for a game with design this creative and fun to get under that numerical score.

Tons of work must have gone into the level creation.

This thread is kind of unsusual though, hardly anyone can find any fault in the game besides the motion controls and it's not hampering the experience for 99% though they wish they could use buttons( not sure why the complaining, maybe they think Nintendo will listen:lol :lol :lol ).

What I like a lot about this game is it incorportates new ideas but most of the time, your platforming experience will come very handy as you've seen the concepts before.

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah spoilers for platformers don't bother me because they just make me more excited for the game. When you say final boss do you mean
the Giant andross tiki you fight at the end of world 8 or is there another secret boss sometime after that?
Nope, that's the
last guy. And he's a bitch
! ;)

No_Style

agrajag said:
first impressions:

can't roll through three enemies in a row with just donkey? Lame.

Keep shaking to continue the roll.

I was worried about not being able to roll off a cliff and then jump, but I was pulling those off within 15 minutes of playing. Good stuff!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Automatically.

Thanks. Made no sense to me. I know you can save after you beat each level but didn't know if it was manual or automatic. Thanks.

abstract alien said:
I hope it's automatic...if not Ill have to completely do the first world again :lol

:lol :lol This was my fear :lol :lol

KevinCow

Banned
Outtrigger888 said:
Would love to see this game on the 3DS at some point in time, seems perfect for it

I was thinking this too. The way they use the foreground and background would probably look really cool in 3D.

This is the first time I'm actually missing NPD.

Why? I want to know it's doing gangbusters. So they will surely have a 2nd one and ASAP. Trilogy please? :D

Ranger X

Kaijima said:
Yup! In fact, I see it working like this:

left/right/up/down are mapped to the 3DS tilt sensor.

Jump to the left half of the lower touch screen, and ground pound to the right half of the touch screen.

To blow, you snap 3D photographs of objects blowing in a breeze (game incl. bluetooth fan accessory).

And roll is mapped to the mic; just blow to roll.

Perfect control scheme.

You can't be serious right? Please don't be. Please. This is the worse control scheme I've ever hear of. (sorry, if I didn't follow and that you weren't serious)

Ranger X

No_Style said:

I was worried about not being able to roll off a cliff and then jump, but I was pulling those off within 15 minutes of playing. Good stuff!

No. Donkey is having a pause in his roll and hitting ennemies doesn't extend his rolling anymore like it did in the old games. You absolutely need Diddy to roll infinitely.

agrajag

Banned
No_Style said:

I think you can only do that when you have diddy. I hate how you overshoot all the time with the roll jumps now, but I'm getting used to the mechanics. In a way, you have to let go of DKC mechanics to enjoy this game. :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
4-5 Crowded Cavern was a bitch. I wasted so many lives on the last third of that stage.

totowhoa

Banned
agrajag said:
I think you can only do that when you have diddy. I hate how you overshoot all the time with the roll jumps now, but I'm getting used to the mechanics. In a way, you have to let go of DKC mechanics to enjoy this game. :D

Yeah, I was way overshooting my roll-jumps because I played through 1 and some of 2 a bit in anticipation for this one. After world 1, I had it down. The speed and length of the roll-jump in this game makes for some awesome speed-running and platforming segments, though.

I've taken it way easy on the game. Haven't even picked it up today. I'm in world 5 now, and I'm probably going to sink an hour into it soon. I don't want to finish the game too quickly :D Thanksgiving break from work and school is approaching, so I'm sure I'll finish the game then, and then begin completing it. I hope to have the game at 100% (or at least all the secret levels completed) by winter break.

Are these so-called "K" levels the secret ones or something? Haven't found any yet, or I've just not been paying attention to the names. Only noticed "B" for the boss levels so far.

Ranger X

Sklorenz said:
Yeah, I was way overshooting my roll-jumps because I played through 1 and some of 2 a bit in anticipation for this one. After world 1, I had it down. The speed and length of the roll-jump in this game makes for some awesome speed-running and platforming segments, though.

I've taken it way easy on the game. Haven't even picked it up today. I'm in world 5 now, and I'm probably going to sink an hour into it soon. I don't want to finish the game too quickly :D Thanksgiving break from work and school is approaching, so I'm sure I'll finish the game then, and then begin completing it. I hope to have the game at 100% (or at least all the secret levels completed) by winter break.

Are these so-called "K" levels the secret ones or something? Haven't found any yet, or I've just not been paying attention to the names. Only noticed "B" for the boss levels so far.

"K levels" is probably for "Kong Levels" since they are unlocked in each world once you collected the Kong in all the regular levels.

Socreges

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
This thread is kind of unsusual though, hardly anyone can find any fault in the game besides the motion controls and it's not hampering the experience for 99% though they wish they could use buttons( not sure why the complaining, maybe they think Nintendo will listen:lol :lol :lol ).
Think about it. It's not so much complaining as it is discussion. I think people should be welcome to identify the weak parts of the game just as well as many others who talk about its strengths (and are often the same people).

Willy105 said:
You got it. The deeper we go into something, the less weird it is to talk about it, because the ice has been broken.
What kind of bizarre, self-serving logic is this?

Willy105
Motherfucking dumbshit member

A ha. ;)

Kai Dracon

Ranger X said:
You can't be serious right? Please don't be. Please. This is the worse control scheme I've ever hear of. (sorry, if I didn't follow and that you weren't serious)

Son, I am joke.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dig the bongo beat added to the remix of the minecart tune.

Hiltz

I finally got a chance to play DKCR but only for a few minutes. It won't be until tomorrow until I get to really sink in some time with it. I'm already impressed by it though.

Quick impressions:

The graphics are beautiful.Colorful, vibrant environments with interesting enemies and fluid animation makes it all come alive. I was amused by things like the enemy frog death animations as they float away like a deflated balloon and the little pigs that pop out to serve as checkpoints. It was like music to my ears to one of the classic DKC tracks in the first level. I had to stop playing for a second just to listen to the catchy tune.

Only got a quick taste of using Rambi but he feels just as fun as he was back in the original DKC game. The physics of DK and Rambi's weight feels right. Even in the first level, Retro pulls no punches with the level design and enemy placement. It already looks like Retro's level design is well planned out with cleverly hidden items and areas. I've already fallen victim to a pit death from one of those balancing platforms swaying to and fro after miss timing a jump. I better brace myself for what's to come!

I've been using the Wii remote and nunchuck control scheme. It's intuitive but like most of the other players here, I'm not that fond of the shoe-horned motion controls. The blowing mechanic does kind of feel out of place as it slows the gameplay down especially if your the type of game who feels compelled to uncover ever item/banana. The ground pound is actually pretty fun to use while the Kong roll and Diddy's cartwheel feel slightly awkward. It's also kind of stupid that Diddy's popgun can only be used with a shake of the Wii remote or nunchuck. Mapping these moves to a button press would feel faster and more responsive in my opinion.

The new ability to grab onto grass-coated ceilings is a great idea and a fun one at that. I also really love the concept of being shot from a barrel into the background. So cool! I have yet to experience the silhouette levels.

totowhoa

Banned
DR2K said:
Wow 2nd world boss is poorly designed. It took me 10 times to find out how to beat it.

Er... seriously? I beat it my first try without taking a hit. I was taken aback after the first boss, which I died to a few times. I was really excited by the appropriate difficulty of world 1's boss that I had no idea what went wrong with the second.

Edit: I think it helped given the fact that it took me a couple hits to figure out how to properly kill those red crabs, and I immediately applied the same logic to the boss. I could see how some confusion could arise on second thought. Was still disappointed though.

Kai Dracon

Sklorenz said:
Er... seriously? I beat it my first try without taking a hit. I was taken aback after the first boss, which I died to a few times. I was really excited by the appropriate difficulty of world 1's boss that I had no idea what went wrong with the second.

I didn't have any trouble figuring it out, but it /is/ seemingly the worst boss in the game for whatever reason. Seems like they had a cute idea and were determined to keep it in there, but it's very dull.

So the game loses .02 Justice Points for the wag-o-roll and the second boss :lol

totowhoa

Banned
Kaijima said:
I didn't have any trouble figuring it out, but it /is/ seemingly the worst boss in the game for whatever reason. Seems like they had a cute idea and were determined to keep it in there, but it's very dull.

So the game loses .02 Justice Points for the wag-o-roll and the second boss :lol

Yeah, by far the dullest boss. When I beat 'em, I thought a giant crab was about to pop out and part 2 would begin. So far I've liked the
mine cart
boss the best, but I'm a masochist and love those levels :D Still on World 5, and I'm about to get back into it and finish it off this evening as soon as my fiance will stop playing... it's been "one more level" for about five levels now :mad:

Willy105 said:
You got it. The deeper we go into something, the less weird it is to talk about it, because the ice has been broken.

Which can be a problem when we are debating the merits of the move where Donkey Kong crouches to blow air into plants.
Willy is the arbiter of discussion.

Edit: Wait, you didn't even make this thread.

Top Bottom