• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
No reason this thread should be on page 2!!!!!

Ever.

As far as quality comparisons to the other Donkey Kong Country games are concerned, this is light years better in level creation than the first one and more fun than the second one.

It's so cool to know that the vine traversing aspect simply revitalized this series this much.

And while I hate them at times, the mine cart levels are untouchable.

Any of you guys really like the rocket barrel levels as much as I do????

So simple, so frustrating at times but so epic in presentaion and the sense of drama.

Rocket barrel is epic.

BowieZ

Banned
farnham said:
in NSMBWii i could perfectly calculate every move i made and knew where i messed up when i died. i never felt that there was any luck involved. thats why im holding NSMBWii as the pinnacle of 2D platforming.
i am now respecting your opinion on everything else

Big One

Banned
This game is fantastic, best Donkey Kong game ever.

A stupid question, but what's the third circle in each of the levels for? Is there some type of secret that I need to unlock? Edit: Bah, just found out!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's killing me waiting for this to arrive today from Amazon. When, damnit, when!?

KevinCow

Banned
I like the mine cart and rocket barrel levels, but I feel like maybe they overdid them. In the original games they were kinda rare so it was like a special occasion to get one. But here, it seems like there's one in every world. Then you have the Cave world, which is made up entirely of mine cart and rocket levels.

Still, they're fun, so I guess if "There are too many fun levels" is one of the biggest complaints I can come up with for this game, Retro's done a pretty good job.

ismaboof

The game still won't arrive until tomorrow but I still have a ton of work to do on major projects that are due on Friday. And then I have a major essay due on Monday. So I realistically can't play it for another week. Fuck. Fuckfuckfuck.

KevinCow said:
I like the mine cart and rocket barrel levels, but I feel like maybe they overdid them. In the original games they were kinda rare so it was like a special occasion to get one. But here, it seems like there's one in every world. Then you have the Cave world, which is made up entirely of mine cart and rocket levels.

Still, they're fun, so I guess if "There are too many fun levels" is one of the biggest complaints I can come up with for this game, Retro's done a pretty good job.

Yeah, Retro must have been big fans of the mine cart levels or so all the possible gameplay element possibilities.

I agree with you but like you, doesn't bother me too much because the mine carts have always been a unique element to the series that other platformers don't have, one of the games' trademarks.

ismaboof said:
The game still won't arrive until tomorrow but I still have a ton of work to do on major projects that are due on Friday. And then I have a major essay due on Monday. So I realistically can't play it for another week. Fuck. Fuckfuckfuck.

Don't boot it up, it's one of those games that even when you take a break from it, you are constantly thinking of playing it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Only onto the 4th stage of World 1, but the game seems amazing thus far. I've been collecting 'everything' before moving onto the next level.. save for the time trailer golds, since they seem impossible at this point for me. :lol

The presentation of the title is incredibly high, as to be expected. The controls, especially the 'blowing air' which occasionally registers as a 'forward roll', are a bit finicky and not as tight as NSMB Wii, but they're manageable.

Looking forward to the rest of the game which I'll start plowing through right now!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To me the minecart stuff feels a bit like when Retro got ahold of the morphball concept in Metroid. They sorta went crazy with it and used it a lot more than it was used in the classic games.

GWX

Just played stage 2-2. Incredible game so far, I'm loving the level design. Playing through with Wii-Remote + Nunchuck: it works very well, and I don't mind the waggle, because even if at first I thought they were overusing it, I got used to it and it feels very natural now, 1h30min after starting the game. And wow, some of the collectibles are very well hidden!

Also, I'm even liking the music! Excellent job, Retro.

zweifuss

Donkey's physics feel different from the original game so it threw me off at first. Shake rolling sucks and he shoots off too far from air-roll jumps. But I love the game otherwise. Only finished the first world so far and I can't wait to see what else is coming up!

Salsa

Got the game! and yup, its fuckin amazing.

But man, i get fuckin HUGE black bars on my 4:3 tv :lol

I might even play the game switching to widescreen mode (i mean, even though the TV itself isnt widescreen), its stretches the image a bit but gets rid of the bars.. decisions decisions

EzLink

Banned
Garryk said:
So approximately how long does a single playthrough take?

It took me about 8 hours. Obviously a good deal of that would be shaved off if you account for the time it takes repeating parts of levels you continually die at, but even considering that the game feels like the perfect length. Other than the first stage, I've yet to collect everything in a level, so I still have a ton of time left if I want to get everything. And, unlock other games, I genuinely WANT to go back and thoroughly explore every nook and cranny to find what I missed

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jesus, maybe I've just lost my platforming skills, but this game is hard as hell. I cruised through the first three worlds with little problem, but the Caves world is kicking my ass. I'm losing so many lives working through these stages. Now I'm working on the level where you ride the rocket barrel through the cave full of bats. I've wasted like 15 lives thus far. It almost requires memorization.

I seriously hope the game does not continue at this level as this level and Bombs Away are incredibly frustrating.

Of course, both stages relying on constant forward motion which I find much more devious than any of the regular platforming stages.

edit - alright, GAF is like magic. Just like last night with Bombs Away, I finished the stage immediately after posting this. Maybe that small break resets the frustration level?

hatchx

Banned
Kaijima said:
To me the minecart stuff feels a bit like when Retro got ahold of the morphball concept in Metroid. They sorta went crazy with it and used it a lot more than it was used in the classic games.

For the better.

hatchx

Banned
dark10x said:
I seriously hope the game does not continue at this level as this level and Bombs Away are incredibly frustrating.

Of course, both stages relying on constant forward motion which I find much more devious than any of the regular platforming stages.

Some levels are harder than others, but it generally gets harder and harder. I'm on world 8 and every level takes 10-30 balloons away.

Zzoram

hatchx said:
Some levels are harder than others, but it generally gets harder and harder. I'm on world 8 and every level takes 10-30 balloons away.
What happens if you run out of balloons? Is there a place to farm them?

Salsa

Zzoram said:

So far i think the game does a good job on giving you an extra ballon right by the checkpoint before a hard part.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Zzoram said:

Just go see Cranky, he sells a lot of balloons for some coins. And the first world is easy enough to farm all those bananas & coins.

Jazzem

Damn, this'll make a good Christmas game :D Ever since I was munching on Donkey Kong ice lollies as a kid I was a fan. I'm happy this isn't exactly identical to the old games either, and that it's not chickening out and being a breeze. It sounds like they've nailed that difficulty sweet spot where you keep coming back to it despite the tough challenge.

All that said, I'm slightly disappointed this apparently doesn't have the atmosphere the old games were strangely competent at emitting. Part of what made Donkey Kong Land 2 so engaging on my old black and white Game Boy was the surprisingly foreboding sense of menace, a lot of which was due to this tune. Granted, none of that suits a game about jumping monkeys on paper at all, but it's surprising how effective it was in practice. Not saying the new game should be one big moody jaunt, but it's a shame to see that all go.

Ah whatever, I'm going to play the hell out of this :D

GaussTek

SalsaShark said:
Got the game! and yup, its fuckin amazing.

But man, i get fuckin HUGE black bars on my 4:3 tv :lol

I might even play the game switching to widescreen mode (i mean, even though the TV itself isnt widescreen), its stretches the image a bit but gets rid of the bars.. decisions decisions

Same here :lol I cannot play it right now on the widescreen tv, so I'm stuck with the bars. Man, we surely are poor lol

Haunted

So what you people are saying is that this one is better than the SNES Rare ones? I find that hard to believe. Y'all are bullshitting me.

If Retro truly pulled that off, they deserve to enter the pantheon of godly development studios.

edit: 4:3 TVs? man, you guys.

Salsa

GaussTek said:
Same here :lol I cannot play it right now on the widescreen tv, so I'm stuck with the bars. Man, we surely are poor lol

I dont even own a widescreen TV

I should buy whatever's necessary to play my Wii on my monitor though..

flak57

zweifuss said:
Donkey's physics feel different from the original game so it threw me off at first. Shake rolling sucks and he shoots off too far from air-roll jumps. But I love the game otherwise. Only finished the first world so far and I can't wait to see what else is coming up!
I've heard this a few times, can you elaborate? Is it that the momentum from starting the roll makes it easy to overshoot a platform? If you hit left during a roll jump to the right, what would the result be in terms of physics?

Won't be able to play this until Christmas.

L00P

Okay, so after the first couple of worlds I got sick of the sideways wiimote and tried the nunchuk setup. It's a waaaay better control scheme between the two. Rolling feels terrible in the horizontal setup. It kinda sucks because there's lots of rolling going on.

Anyway, if you're a purist you should just swallow your pride and just use the nunchuk:lol

But yeah, I'm really, really, REALLLY digging this game.

Ranger X

Haunted said:
So what you people are saying is that this one is better than the SNES Rare ones? I find that hard to believe. Y'all are bullshitting me.

Same here. GAF doesn't really like DKC SNES series. It's underrated outta here (I guess there has to be a place where those fantastic games are underrated :lol ).
Judging by the first world only I can already tell you the game is great. Wich level of great? Hard to tell. Might just be NSMBWii great. Donkey Kong Country 2 great? Not yet. And I wonder if a waggle roll can permit this status anyways.

Salsa

Ranger X said:
Same here. GAF doesn't really like DKC SNES series.

I fuckin LOVE DKC2 to death, and i think this is almost as good as that, and ill blame the "almost" on nostalgia goggles.

That said, they are mostly different, so its unfair to compare.

edit: also i have 0 problems with the waggle roll on Wiimote + nunchuck combo, figured it would be a pain using the wiimote sideways so fuck it. Game feels a lot better this way guys, i dont get why most of you are going with the just wiimote option.

Ranger X

SalsaShark said:
I fuckin LOVE DKC2 to death, and i think this is almost as good as that, and ill blame the "almost" on nostalgia goggles.

That said, they are mostly different, so its unfair to compare.

edit: also i have 0 problems with the waggle roll on Wiimote + nunchuck combo, figured it would be a pain using the wiimote sideways so fuck it. Game feels a lot better this way guys, i dont get why most of you are going with the just wiimote option.

But what does it change to use the Nunchuck? That I can shake only one hand? That doesn't change anything for me really. I want to try that control tonight anyways.

totowhoa

Banned
Ranger X said:
But what does it change to use the Nunchuck? That I can shake only one hand? That doesn't change anything for me really. I want to try that control tonight anyways.

You can roll more precisely in my opinion, and that of others. Also feels MUCH better shaking to do the infinity-roll with diddy than it does holding it sideways.

Salsa

Ranger X said:

Its a lot easier and more natural to shake this:

nintendo-wiimote-nunchuck.jpg

than this:

wiimotionplus_thumb.jpg

It doesnt take any effort to slightly move your right hand to do a roll, it does however to shake up and down something that you are strongly holding with your both hands.

Haunted said:

If Retro truly pulled that off, they deserve to enter the pantheon of godly development studios.

edit: 4:3 TVs? man, you guys.

It's better. Worlds better.

dark10x said:
Maybe that small break resets the frustration level?

All (good) games are like this. When you hit a wall, it's always better to walk away.

Rich!

Looks like the soundtrack is the same DSP format as Metroid Prime (not surprising), but encoded as RAS - and the newest VGMSTREAM plugin has been updated to support it. When I get this game, I am so ripping that soundtrack for listening on winamp.

Penguin

I found my problem with using the Chuck setup, so use to games that just allow you to jerk it from left to right, but this game seems to respond best to an up and down motion. Worked out much better now.

oracrest

SalsaShark said:
i dont get why most of you are going with the just wiimote option.

It's my preferred method of playing. I like only having to "deal" with the wiimote without untangling the nunchuk every time I pick up the controller. It reminds me of the simplicity of NES controller again. I also enjoy holding down the run button, and using my thumb knuckle to hit the jump button when needed. The shaking doesn't bother me, I just give it a strong "whip", like the reigns of a horse, and I am good to go. I just had to get used to that split second of anticipating the roll, which after playing games like Demon's souls and Monster Hunter, I don't mind having to slightly anticipate an action.

KevinCow

Banned
Oh my god this fucking final (?) boss. If you don't beat him on your first attempt (and you won't), you have to fight him with no Diddy, so you only get two hits.

I keep getting so close too.

Salsa

oracrest said:
It's my preferred method of playing. I like only having to "deal" with the wiimote without untangling the nunchuk every time I pick up the controller. It reminds me of the simplicity of NES controller again. I also enjoy holding down the run button, and using my thumb knuckle to hit the jump button when needed. The shaking doesn't bother me, I just give it a strong "whip", like the reigns of a horse, and I am good to go. I just had to get used to that split second of anticipating the roll, which after playing games like Demon's souls and Monster Hunter, I don't mind having to slightly anticipate an action.

Well yeah, its a matter of personal taste of course.

Personally, i think that even though the game clearly takes a lot from nostalgia and the older games, i think it has too many buttons and actions to use just the wiimote. You shouldnt need to use the B button to do stuff when using the wiimote sideways (except for once in a while uses), that's a bad sign.

SalsaShark said:
Well yeah, its a matter of personal taste of course.

Personally, i think that even though the game clearly takes a lot from nostalgia and the older games, i think it has too many buttons and actions to use just the wiimote.

I haven't tried just the remote but it seems clear that the game was designed for the remote plus the nunchuk and the remote only an afterthought giving us options after all.................but still having motion control because that's what they wanted.

Top Bottom