• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:
Bleh. What the hell? That sounds awful?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA

Much better. That's not just nostalgia talking either.

AA arrangement works okay in-game. It wouldn't be so bad if the samples used weren't so synthy-sounding. In general the music is kinda "there", doesn't do justice to the DKC legacy. In DKC1 and 2 the music is an essential part of the experience, in DKCR it contributes very little to the game. Listen to this AA arrangement from ocremix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mWCAvPhC7g

It's soooo much better.

TheExodu5

Banned
Amir0x said:
Tons of work and even care goes into a million games! Jesus christ score hounds are so absurd in every topic :lol

You should be getting this game, btw. My complaints are few and far in between:

1) Shake to roll
2) Repetitive bonus stages
3) Needing to stop and pound at several places to hopefully find a puzzle piece

Otherwise, the controls are sublime, second only to Super Meat Boy, IMO. The level design is the best I've seen in any platformer, easily. The difficulty curve is fairly high. Not Meat Boy, of course, but I find myself dying often a dozen times per level in World 4.

KrawlMan

zigg said:
So, question.

Besides graphics, besides music.

Is there anyone out there who didn't particularly like the original DKCs that thinks DKCR is awesome?

I'm not trying to imply "nostalgia" or anything like that here at all. But while I'm a fan of a number of styles of platformers, I did not care for the original DKCs for a variety of reasons... yet I'm open to the thought that Retro might have made something really special here, and I'd like to hear from anyone who maybe feels similarly.

*Raises Hand*

I never owned a SNES, and when I tried to play the original game on Virtual Console I ended up quitting pretty early in the game. The visuals did not age well, and the game demanded precise timing/accuracy with visuals and collision detection that made that timing and accuracy very difficult to accomplish. Feel free to chalk it up to be being bad at 2D platformers, but I'm on World 6 now of DKCR and having a much easier time with this game.

Put your worries aside, Retro really did make something special here :).

Edit: It is worth mentioning that the shake-to-roll mechanic is one of this games biggest (and only) flaws. I've died a few times due to it either not registering, or registering when I didn't expect it. It doesn't usually phase me because the game provides you with a disgusting amount of lives. I'm sitting on about 700 coins right now (used to buy lives amongst other items) and about 80 lives.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
KrawlMan said:
*Raises Hand*

I never owned a SNES, and when I tried to play the original game on Virtual Console I ended up quitting pretty early in the game. The visuals did not age well, and the game demanded precise timing/accuracy with visuals and collision detection that made that timing and accuracy very difficult to accomplish. Feel free to chalk it up to be being bad at 2D platformers, but I'm on World 6 now of DKCR and having a much easier time with this game.

Put your worries aside, Retro really did make something special here :).
If you mean DKC1 you picked the wrong game from the three.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chris1964 said:

To be fair, he'd probably have more trouble with DKC2, since it's a harder game.

I do find it puzzling though, because I definitely find DKCR just as hard or harder than DKC2.

KrawlMan

Chris1964 said:

Yes, it was the first one. A good friend of mine absolutely loves the series and he recommended I d/l DKC1. After I finish DKCR I may return to the old games and see if I enjoy them more.

Lijik said:
Yeah its not like its constantly brought up as the only notable flaw or anything.

Edit- well ignoring controls

I haven't bothered with reviews or detailed impressions so I wouldn't know. During that boss fight I just did what first came to mind and that did the trick.

KrawlMan

agrajag said:
woah, how come this is on the second page? Can't wait to get home from work tonight and play this beast of a game. :D

I was wondering the same thing myself. I can only assume everybody is either too busy playing it...or working :(

KrawlMan said:
I was wondering the same thing myself. I can only assume everybody is either too busy playing it...or working :(
I haven't started playing at all. I'm at work, and today has been a really slow day.

agrajag

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
To be fair, he'd probably have more trouble with DKC2, since it's a harder game.

I do find it puzzling though, because I definitely find DKCR just as hard or harder than DKC2.

DKCR is way harder than the first three games imo.

KrawlMan

agrajag said:
DKCR is way harder than the first three games imo.

I think the main difference between this game and the old one (at least from what I've played) is the number of times I can try a level before I get a game over. Maybe the levels themselves are more difficult, but I don't ever get Game Overs.

Every single time I try to get into DKC1 I end up dying on some minecart level and never end up getting to a save point.

Seda said:
so......

is this game good?

....yes. So good.

Bentendo

To the person who asked if anyone didn't like the original trilogy but liked this game... I did! I really didn't like the original games but this game looked so fun that I had to buy it. I'm not disappointed. Right now I'm near the end of the
dinosaur
world and I'm loving this game. Really considering it to be one of the greatest platformers ever made.

KrawlMan said:
Plenty of people hated what Retro did with Metroid. Not saying I agree :p.

Wrong people.

Honestly, though, I hope Retro's name being tied to the game doesn't stop anyone from trying it out. They're not reinventing the formula; they're perfecting it. The most impressive aspect about DKCR is the level design, which is something that can't really be understood by watching trailers. Next to this, NSMB feels like a lazy sequel, and I liked that game. It's just that it never felt like it was surpassing it's predecessors, and I already think that DKCR is one of the very best platformers I've ever played.

zigg

KrawlMan said:
Plenty of people hated what Retro did with Metroid. Not saying I agree :p.

I loved Prime (though it took me two tries to really dig Echoes), though I had pretty serious doubts that Retro had what it took to do a really good platformer. I just wasn't sure where the expertise would come from, basically.

Thanks for the testimonials, btw, guys. I'll definitely file it for a future look.

Picked the game up on Sunday and my roommate and I are now up to World 6. Game is unbelievable -- everything I wanted in a DKC sequel and so much more. THIS is how you revive a 2D franchise.

The levels are brilliantly crafted and flow together smoothly. I love little touches Retro includes such as the first level of the Forest world starting you off in the caves and rocketing you to the treetops, or the way barrels blast you between the background and foreground and smash into objects that would only be there for show in any other platformer.

This game is also DAMN HARD. Easily harder than any game in the series before it, but as others have already pointed out, manages to keep you coming back for more because the challenge is fair (for the most part -- fuck you too, Bombs Away). I've already resigned myself to the fact that I won't be getting gold medals in Time Trials.

My only complaints have already been mentioned: Shake-to-roll was a bad idea (though you do kinda get used to it). The original music also doesn't stack up to the best of DKC1 and 2.

Can't wait to play more!

vocab

I only played the first world, but can you not switch to diddy or use the peanut gun in single player?

Also, is there a lost world?

I know that this game follows the first game more than 2 and 3 ( 2 and 3 are my favorite of the trilogy), but I can't help to notice that there's many missed opportunities.

EzLink

Banned
My friend bought this yesterday and we beasted the first 5 worlds on co op. Co op is a blast if you are willing to not play the game seriously, but if you are really trying to focus and play the level "your way" it could get frustrating. Some of this will depend on the types of players playing. For example, when there are a bunch of obstacles I like to blaze through all of them to get to the next "safe area" before taking a breather. My friend, however, was taking a slower approach and because of that I would end up ahead of him and he would constantly be teleporting to my location. Also on the mine cart and rocket barrel stages it can be confusing to coordinate since each person has control over the same object. And, maybe it was just because of the smaller tv we were playing on, but sometimes when Donkey and Diddy are close to each other it can be hard to tell exactly where you are without confusing yourself with the other character

Overall I had a blast with the co op, but if it were my own file that I were playing through for the first time, I would definitely want to fly solo

Also playing through the first five worlds as Diddy makes me really sad he isn't available to use in single player. I always preferred the lighter characters in the original trilogy. And Diddy is far superior in every way to Donkey. From his lighter girth that makes him easier to zip through hazards to his baller peanut popping antics to his incredibly useful jetpack to his signature cartwheel (which I've always preferred to the roll). Oh well, maybe in the sequel

Fuck world 4, and fuck the world 4 boss. Seriously, fuck it right in the ear.

Nothing but rocket barrel or mine cart levels? Even the fucking boss? Once in a while is fun, but an entire fucking world built around it. I got so pissed off I had to shut the game off then come here to bitch about it. It has been a LONG time since a game pissed me off this badly.

Outside of world 4, the game is rock solid so far.

vocab said:
I only played the first world, but can you not switch to diddy or use the peanut gun in single player?

Also, is there a lost world?

I know that this game follows the first game more than 2 and 3 ( 2 and 3 are my favorite of the trilogy), but I can't help to notice that there's many missed opportunities.

You can't use Diddy in single player. I think that was definitely a mistake on Retro's part. I always liked using Diddy more.

KrawlMan

PhoncipleBone said:

Nothing but rocket barrel or mine cart levels? Even the fucking boss? Once in a while is fun, but an entire fucking world built around it. I got so pissed off I had to shut the game off then come here to bitch about it. It has been a LONG time since a game pissed me off this badly.

I loved world 4 so much. I thought about deliberately skipping some of the KONG letters just to ensure that I would make a trip back to them. I suppose I still have puzzle pieces I can go back and get, but I'm not sure if I want to bother with 100%-ing this game (definitely not if time trials are part of the total %).

Proven

dark10x said:
I haven't heard the remix of that song in the new game yet, so I'm not sure where it's used, but the fact that it is supposed to be a remix at all is what bothers me. If it were just another original song, that would be fine, but the aquatic theme used in the original was quite memorable and there's no reason to reference it if you're going to miss the target.
See, I'm fine with it because of where it's used in this game. Before, the music was for an underwater level. In DKCReturns, it's used for levels on top of water. It makes more sense for it to be a bit chipper, and it matches the feel of the game as well.

Nabs

PhoncipleBone said:

Take a break and try the boss again. It's not that tough.

(i loved world 4)

Threi

notag
god this game is so good

interestingly enough i am developing a problem with the controls...the same problem i had in the earlier 3 games. I am mistiming when i hit the ground because i want to get rolling as quick as possible and wind up dying for it :lol

But yeah as said before though the physical controls are solid.

It's kind of amusing how gimped you are without diddy. I think the benefit of using both in SP is a good trade off for lack of players in MP, something NSMBWii kinda lacked (unless you count "no distractions" as an addition) :lol

Anyways enough rambling this game is fucking awesome, I am drowning in platforming goodness, this gen is redeemed in my eyes :D

Nabs said:
Take a break and try the boss again. It's not that tough.

(i loved world 4)

Agreed. World 4 was great, and I was glad to indulge in all of the mine cart/rocket glory. Also, I don't think any of the bosses have been particularly tough so far. There have been stages in each world that I found harder than the boss.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Proven said:
See, I'm fine with it because of where it's used in this game. Before, the music was for an underwater level. In DKCReturns, it's used for levels on top of water. It makes more sense for it to be a bit chipper, and it matches the feel of the game as well.
Which is more depressing, as I was really hoping for some underwater levels. :(

agrajag

Banned
holy shit, I just realized that I've been playing this game and haven't even tried to use Diddy's peanut gun yet. :lol Which button do you press to activate it??

Kard8p3

dark10x said:
Which is more depressing, as I was really hoping for some underwater levels. :(

Well a few months ago Retro had confirmed that water stages were out. Still I'm glad they're out because with the exception of the music I didn't like any of the water levels.

Adam J.

Think I'm on level 6 now (the dino one). Game is really starting to stress me out with it's difficulty, to the point where it's kinda stopped being fun. What in god's name where they thinking when designing some of these stages? Lol.

KrawlMan

Adam J. said:
Think I'm on level 6 now (the dino one). Game is really starting to stress me out with it's difficulty, to the point where it's kinda stopped being fun. What in god's name where they thinking when designing some of these stages? Lol.

I'm really curious, what stages were so difficult that they were no longer fun?

TheExodu5

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:

For the world 4 boss, you can skip the single minecart sections be just roll jumping to the train. I have no idea how to do big mole part properly though.

KrawlMan

TheExodu5 said:
For the world 4 boss, you can skip the single minecart sections be just roll jumping to the train. I have no idea how to do big mole part properly though.

The big mole part?
Unless I'm mistaken didn't you just wait for him to pop up making sure you weren't where he was. Then you jump to dodge the pick axe and finish by jumping on his head. Rinse and repeat?

EzLink

Banned
All of the KONG letters and
orbs
collected for the first four worlds

I really hope that
the final world
ends up being incredibly badass and worth the trouble!

Foffy

Banned
Near the end of World 5, and I'm loving the game. The fact some stages kick my ass is just wonderful, as I never had trouble in New Super Mario Bros Wii or Super Mario Galaxy 2, though I'm still going strong (my lives are in the 80-90 range, and I haven't boughten lives from Cranky). My only complaint is that the level variety is back to the standard Donkey Kong Country 1 was - largely a jungle, mines, and ruins, but now with the occasional beach stage. DKC2 still seems to have the larger spectrum of variety when it comes to levels, but DKCR is still more enjoyable for me than the first and third games.

Am I the only one who thinks the opening cinema's a joy to watch? There's not one bit of voice acting and yet it tells the story nicely. It's also pretty funny as well.

LM4sure

Banned
I have the game still shrink wrapped. Haven't had a chance to play with school and work over the last couple of days, but I took tomorrow off from work, and I'll have over Thanksgiving weekend to put a lot of quality time into this one! Can't wait! I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning like it's Christmas!! EEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Amir0x

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
We need to force Amir0x to buy or rent the game. I think he'd like this one, personally.
TheExodu5 said:
You should be getting this game, btw. My complaints are few and far in between:

1) Shake to roll
2) Repetitive bonus stages
3) Needing to stop and pound at several places to hopefully find a puzzle piece

Otherwise, the controls are sublime, second only to Super Meat Boy, IMO. The level design is the best I've seen in any platformer, easily. The difficulty curve is fairly high. Not Meat Boy, of course, but I find myself dying often a dozen times per level in World 4.

I never understand GAF. Everyone knows my taste. I thought all of the DKC games were abysmal. By all accounts, this game is a love letter to those games - which I consider terrible. Why would I suddenly like this? I even love Retro, but my hate of the DKC series is so strong I know it's not worth it. I consider them low tier platformers. I tried it out at ComicCon, and sure enough it played the same way only with awful waggly bits.

And yet, if I purchased it and came into this thread and went down what is sure to be a laundry list of complaints, everyone would whine and call me a troll and say "this isn't fitting behavior for a mod" or some such shit.

You guys LIKE when I shit on things, I come to realize :lol

Top Bottom