• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

The abysmal DKC games all had one thing in common, Rare. Arguably the most overrated developer in the history of videogames. Never capable of more than mediocre knockoffs of Nintendo franchises and shitty controlling fps games. This is Retro, who have two good games under their belt and have done us gracioius favors like removing the atrocities known as kremlings. Guys who understand adding water levels for nostalgia's sake is stupid and would only hurt the pacing of the game. I think you should give it a chance, Amirox

Amir0x said:
I never understand GAF. Everyone knows my taste. I thought all of the DKC games were abysmal. By all accounts, this game is a love letter to those games - which I consider terrible. Why would I suddenly like this?

This is a love letter to 2D platforming in DKC trappings. Retro took the basic skeleton of Rare's trilogy and built a much more appealing body around it. The game is definitely worth a rental, at the very least.

SuperAndroid17 said:
I'm not sure im liking DK's voice

Why did they pick the Mario Kart Wii version? :/

I guess it'll grow on me...

I actually love the voice (FYI, the guy also did Ganandorf from OOT-WW including Melee).

But what happened with Diddy's voice? He sounds squeaky, it's not the guy who traditionally does him (and still is thankfully as you hear him in Sports Mix). My guess is that they couldn't get him to reprise the role because the game's being made in the US? DK's voice managed to be back for this and the games by Next Level Games.

Amir0x

Banned
I am honestly glad that people like it, I like Retro so I hope it does well so they can make something I like.

But I'm not falling for this one, no no no.

I've fallen for GAF's NIER recommendation and it was terrible. Against all the better angels of my being, I purchased FFXIII on GAF's continual insistence that I could not know it was bad until I played it. It was bad. I got Enslaved, because fucking some people decided to compare it to Beyond Good and Evil. It was not like BG&E at all. Not at all.

I have Gran Turismo 5 coming tomorrow and I have the best platformer of the last twenty years, Super Meat Boy, and I don't need something I'm almost certain to not like! ;0

Enjoy the game but trust me, this one you don't want me to get! :lol

I don't understand. You like platformers, you like Retro. Retro made a platformer, that happens to have Donkey Kong aesthetics. What's to be wary of?

edit:
Hell, I could've told you not to buy SQUARE-ENIX games. They haven't been good for anything other than dragon quest. I think you only have yourself to blame for that one.

I did like FFTA-2 though. :(

Amir0x

Banned
because it plays exactly like DKC? I played it at ComicCon. It feels EXACTLY like those games. Only with, as I said, awful waggly bits. I love platformers but I don't like the DKC type of platformer. I've read the reviews and all of them confirm that it's a continuation of what I don't particularly like.

Anyhoo, not sure what else I can say. I hope it's a success so Retro can make something I will like.

Amir0x said:
because it plays exactly like DKC? I played it at ComicCon. It feels EXACTLY like those games. Only with, as I said, awful waggly bits. I love platformers but I don't like the DKC type of platformer. I've read the reviews and all of them confirm that it's a continuation of what I don't particularly like.

Anyhoo, not sure what else I can say. I hope it's a success so Retro can make something I will like.

It has better level design than any Wii game.

But yeah, don't get it.

You won't hate it like Kirby but you will find it lacking in your mind.

You should like me, I am fortifying your decision so far to not play it.

Stay away from it at all costs!!!!!

If this game is successful expect Donkey Kong Country Echoes and Donkey Kong Korruption. Find out in the Korruption that there was a unifying plot threading the games together ~ALL ALOOONG ~.

Why Nintendo why? I just want a standard control scheme without shaking involved. The game is fun so far, but i despise the waggle! :lol The only games i enjoy it in are the Galaxy series.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Guys, stop trying to convince Amirox
unless you want to see him write hate posts about your favorite platformer once he play it
. He hates DKC games, and as good as this game is, as good as the level design is, it still is a DKC game. Just like i will always hate sports or sim games, no matter how good the games are.

Eteric Rice said:
FUCKING BOULDER BULLSHIT.

CAN YOU EVEN DO THIS SHIT WITHOUT DIDDY?!

I am sure you can(not sure if I did).

They wouldn't design it otherwise, the game is fair at all times but yeah, it's a reality check at times when you don't have the big guy.

Bisnic said:
He hates DKC games, and as good as this game is, as good as the level design is, it still is a DKC game. Just like i will always hate sports or sim games, no matter how good the games are.

Not caring if he would like it, one thing that struck me about this game is while it has the classic personality elements of the older Donkey Kong Countrys, it has tons of parts and sections and levels that use fresh approaches of the more traditional platformers.

I think it's different in that respect.

It's a platform fan's dream game.

Amir0x said:
I love platformers but I don't like the DKC type of platformer. I've read the reviews and all of them confirm that it's a continuation of what I don't particularly like.

Fair enough. But NIER? FFXIII? Come on, man...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I actually feel good this is getting released on the beginning of December in Europe instead of waiting until summer 2011.

Particularly interested in the level/overall game design, the few aesthetics that I didn't like seeing I can overlook if it's fun to play.

--

Any good write ups from DKC fans yet?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I swear my arm hurts because of the shaking. Thing is retarded. Aside from that awesome game, but it misses perfection thanks to the stupid waggle. No guys, there is no way in hell you can defend this as a good design choice. It isn't. It's bad, VERY BAD. You get used to it but the shaking needed can get tiring after a while. For fucks sake we have enough buttons to have a rolling one. So stupid Retro, so stupid.

TheExodu5 said:
For the world 4 boss, you can skip the single minecart sections be just roll jumping to the train. I have no idea how to do big mole part properly though.
Just did that. Thank you. That made it a hell of a lot easier. And the Big Mole part was simple. The part that was killing me so much before was the single cart stuff.

Relix said:
I swear my arm hurts because of the shaking. Thing is retarded. Aside from that awesome game, but it misses perfection thanks to the stupid waggle. No guys, there is no way in hell you can defend this as a good design choice. It isn't. It's bad, VERY BAD. You get used to it but the shaking needed can get tiring after a while. For fucks sake we have enough buttons to have a rolling one. So stupid Retro, so stupid.

I never have noticed it the whole game and if they wuss out(put it that way only because I think it's their vision, not ours) and have that option in a sequel, I won't play it that way.

I'm used to subtle and maybe not so intuitive uses of the motion controls and understand why they force you to play that way.

It adds to the experience for me.

gogojira

Picking this up in the next couple hours, can't fucking wait. It's odd to think that this is Retro's next game, but judging from popular opinion, they did a damn good job.

Relix said:

If it's anything like New Super Mario Bros Wii, I think you guys are belly-aching. I shook all the damn time in that game.

Picked this up today. I've heard nothing but good things about the game, and I can't wait to start it. It's actually the first DKC I've owned, since I kinda skipped straight from the NES to the N64.

It shall be good times. :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's sort of weird buying the keys for just 20 banana coins. You accumulate so many of those that 20 is absolutely nothing.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
The abysmal DKC games all had one thing in common, Rare. Arguably the most overrated developer in the history of videogames. Never capable of more than mediocre knockoffs of Nintendo franchises and shitty controlling fps games. This is Retro, who have two good games under their belt and have done us gracioius favors like removing the atrocities known as kremlings. Guys who understand adding water levels for nostalgia's sake is stupid and would only hurt the pacing of the game. I think you should give it a chance, Amirox
Eh, I'd say some of their Nintendo-alike games were significantly better than mediocre, like Diddy Kong Racing and Banjo-Kazooie. GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark were great console shooters for that time period and then they did brilliant stuff like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini. Their record was far from perfect and they were faltering even during the N64 era, but let's not pretend that never made awesome games.

I'm not a huge fan of the old DKC games, but Retro's game is pretty sweet.

One awesome thing that I noticed and it's not like this for every other game is I never get frustrated to the point where I am sick of redoing parts of levels or the whole level itself because they are so unbelievably beautiful in design.

However, I had to take a break from one rocket barrel level:lol

Amir0x said:
I am honestly glad that people like it, I like Retro so I hope it does well so they can make something I like.

But I'm not falling for this one, no no no.

I've fallen for GAF's NIER recommendation and it was terrible. Against all the better angels of my being, I purchased FFXIII on GAF's continual insistence that I could not know it was bad until I played it. It was bad. I got Enslaved, because fucking some people decided to compare it to Beyond Good and Evil. It was not like BG&E at all. Not at all.

I have Gran Turismo 5 coming tomorrow and I have the best platformer of the last twenty years, Super Meat Boy, and I don't need something I'm almost certain to not like! ;0

Enjoy the game but trust me, this one you don't want me to get! :lol

I just wanted to quote this because you are absolutely right. I will buy and ( quite probably ) enjoy DKCR to pieces ( I am a fan of the first two ), but nothing can beat Super Meat Boy in my books. That game is pure platforming perfection, and it is just unfair how high it set the bar for every other 2D-platformer that follows.

Still, I reckon SMB and DKCR are different enough to avoid direct comparison. Regardless, can't wait to play this game around christmas. And heck, considering the fact that my girlfriend is actually excited about a new videogame ( her favorite videogame of all time is DKC2, and I can't fault her for that :D ), this is a must buy for me. We'll have a good time tackling this one, I'm sure.

Nabs

This is platforming perfection. Mapping waggle to a button helps a ton. I really think Nintendo killed the option for the CC. It just works too well here.

Lé Blade Runner said:
I just wanted to quote this because you are absolutely right. I will buy and ( quite probably ) enjoy DKCR to pieces ( I am a fan of the first two ), but nothing can beat Super Meat Boy in my books. That game is pure platforming perfection, and it is just unfair how high it set the bar for every other 2D-platformer that follows.

Still, I reckon SMB and DKCR are different enough to avoid direct comparison. Regardless, can't wait to play this game around christmas. And heck, considering the fact that my girlfriend is actually excited about a new videogame ( her favorite videogame of all time is DKC2, and I can't fault her for that :D ), this is a must buy for me. We'll have a good time tackling this one, I'm sure.

I did not see your reply! I swear!

TheExodu5

Banned
Amir0x said:
I never understand GAF. Everyone knows my taste. I thought all of the DKC games were abysmal. By all accounts, this game is a love letter to those games - which I consider terrible. Why would I suddenly like this? I even love Retro, but my hate of the DKC series is so strong I know it's not worth it. I consider them low tier platformers. I tried it out at ComicCon, and sure enough it played the same way only with awful waggly bits.

And yet, if I purchased it and came into this thread and went down what is sure to be a laundry list of complaints, everyone would whine and call me a troll and say "this isn't fitting behavior for a mod" or some such shit.

You guys LIKE when I shit on things, I come to realize :lol
I'll offer one argument. Lots of people dislike DKC, yet try to find just one on GAF that dislikes this game. If you must, wait to see if the inevitable GAF backlash comes.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Relix said:
Going to take a wild guess that you're playing Wiimote and didn't bother trying Nunchuk controls? With nunchuk you don't even need to move your wrist, just a minor movement from your elbow is enough. Also doing a continuous roll requires next to no effort after the initial roll.

hatchx

Banned
Super Meat Boy better than DKCR?

I don't know, Meat boy is great and very challenging, but it really doesn't hold a candle to DKCR amazing presentation.

Not to mention, Meat Boy is one of those short-burst-levels. Each DKCR level is an adventure.

I know they are both platformers, but they are hard to compare. Personally, the 3D elements, the tight controls, and the phenomenal presentation keep DKCR a notch above Meat Boy. DKCR, in my opinion, is the best 2D platformer since Yoshi's Island.

TheExodu5 said:
I'll offer one argument. Lots of people dislike DKC, yet try to find just one on GAF that dislikes this game. If you must, wait to see if the inevitable GAF backlash comes.

Yeah, no one is even "this game is decent".

Besides several disliking the motion controls, all I see is total praise and while that can happen here for a much anticipated game, it's not a biased gut reaction or at least I don't think it is because the game exceeds all expectations.

The music could be better throughout(some of it is really good though) but besides that, I think the game is flawless in design.

No dull moments.

I can't believe that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Actually I'm offering an even greater challenge...is there a single person ere that wouldn't consider DKCR in their top 5 2D platformer list? Mine (in no particular order):

Super Mario World
Super Meat Boy
Yoshi's Island
DKCR

Don't think I have a fifth anymore. After replaying them, I knocked off NSMB Wii and DKC2.

KevinCow

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
The abysmal DKC games

gpps0.png

TheExodu5 said:
Actually I'm offering an even greater challenge...is there a single person ere that wouldn't consider DKCR in their top 5 2D platformer list? Mine (in no particular order):

Super Mario World
Super Meat Boy
Yoshi's Island
DKCR

Good list, Yoshi's Island is number one for me, not sure what my top five would be.

This game will be on it though.

hatchx said:
Super Meat Boy better than DKCR?

I don't know, Meat boy is great and very challenging, but it really doesn't hold a candle to DKCR amazing presentation.

Not to mention, Meat Boy is one of those short-burst-levels. Each DKCR level is an adventure.

I know they are both platformers, but they are hard to compare. Personally, the 3D elements, the tight controls, and the phenomenal presentation keep DKCR a notch above Meat Boy. DKCR, in my opinion, is the best 2D platformer since Yoshi's Island.

Can't argue with you there as I haven't played DKCR ( yet ), but I really enjoy the simplistic, effective presentation of SMB. The soundtrack is amazing, too, although I expect DKCR's to be similarly pleasing to the earbuds.

I also grew to love the short-burst -type of gameplay. The fact that you respawn instantly after you die creates a hypnotic sense of death-progression-death ( repeat ad infinitum ), but alas, this isn't the Meat Boy -thread and I'm derailing.

Cue back to me replying this time next month and claiming DKCR to be the best thing since sliced bread. I ain't saying that it can't happen. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
I can't say that Super Meat Boy is better than DKCR, or the other way around. They're very different beasts, but easily the best platformers I've played in a ridiculously long time. They've made me realize that I really didn't like NSMB Wii as much as I thought I did.

TheExodu5 said:
I can't say that Super Meat Boy is better than DKCR, or the other way around. They're very different beasts, but easily the best platformers I've played in a ridiculously long time. They've made me realize that I really didn't like NSMB Wii as much as I thought I did.

It's still a great game, it just lacks flair and originality.

Top Bottom