• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Dr.Hadji

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
It's still a great game, it just lacks flair and originality.

NMBWii comments are always so telling. You can always tell who played primarily multiplayer and who played solo. Multiplayer Mario is in a league of its own.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Lathentar said:
Going to take a wild guess that you're playing Wiimote and didn't bother trying Nunchuk controls? With nunchuk you don't even need to move your wrist, just a minor movement from your elbow is enough. Also doing a continuous roll requires next to no effort after the initial roll.

Nun + Mote here.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
NMBWii comments are always so telling. You can always tell who played primarily multiplayer and who played solo. Multiplayer Mario is in a league of its own.

I played through multiplayer before I did solo. It feels like an afterthought, honestly. It's fun, but doesn't really add much to the game.

Dr.Hadji said:

Well, I didn't even play it in multiplayer to know it's the best multiplayer platformer of all time.

I just can see why some didn't find the singleplayer as fun as others.

Nothing about the game shouts "OH MY GOD" because of the modest presentational value and tried yet true gameplay.

I am sure it's hilariously satisfying in multiplayer.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TheExodu5 said:
I played through multiplayer before I did solo. It feels like an afterthought, honestly. It's fun, but doesn't really add much to the game.
True. Exact same situation, people seem to equate the fun with the game being different or something on MP.

Now speedrunning solo through the levels, that's what it's about.

hatchx

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

Two players (good players) is the golden standard for NSMBwii.

As much as I love DKCR co-op, the co-op in NSMBwii is probably the best 2-player platformer there is.

EDIT: As a sidenote, anyone know the release date for Super Meat Boy on wii? Is it delayed indefinitely? I played it at my friends and it's awesome, but I only have PS3/wii.

desu

Not sure if this is interesting to some, but there seem to be gecko codes up to map motion controls to the buttons (obviously homebrew enables wii needed). Can't test this until december but this would be freaking great to avoid the motion controls.

GWX

hatchx said:
EDIT: As a sidenote, anyone know the release date for Super Meat Boy on wii? Is it delayed indefinitely? I played it at my friends and it's awesome, but I only have PS3/wii.

Just buy it on PC. You don't need to have a powerful PC to run it.

Dr.Hadji

TheExodu5 said:

Multiplayer is a wild beast, it can differ so wildly. But I can't imagine how playing with 3 other people couldn't have significantly changed the way you played the game. Its just way too chaotic when compared to solo play to so it "doesn't add much".

Soo....... about DK multi. Hows it? Is it more chaotic or co-opy?

dream

TheExodu5 said:
I'll offer one argument. Lots of people dislike DKC, yet try to find just one on GAF that dislikes this game. If you must, wait to see if the inevitable GAF backlash comes.

It's pretty nuts. I despise the DKC series but I picked this up for my nephew the other day and played it for a bit and it's...pretty incredible. So much so that I'm about to pick up a copy for myself.

Celine said:

I still think they are unsure whether to come out with a gimped version for Wiiware(which would suck) or put the game out on retail in disc form and have extras.

Whatever they do, I hope they don't scrap the Wii version altogether as I heard it was the first version of the project worked on.

Socreges

Banned
Amir0x said:
I never understand GAF. Everyone knows my taste. I thought all of the DKC games were abysmal. By all accounts, this game is a love letter to those games - which I consider terrible. Why would I suddenly like this? I even love Retro, but my hate of the DKC series is so strong I know it's not worth it. I consider them low tier platformers. I tried it out at ComicCon, and sure enough it played the same way only with awful waggly bits.

And yet, if I purchased it and came into this thread and went down what is sure to be a laundry list of complaints, everyone would whine and call me a troll and say "this isn't fitting behavior for a mod" or some such shit.

You guys LIKE when I shit on things, I come to realize :lol
Dude....

Did you forget why people started talking about you and DKCR in the first place? We should be puzzled by you, not the other way around:
Amir0x said:
Anyway, this "DKCR is super difficult" talk is the first time my curiosity has been moved. I never liked the Donkey Kong Country series, and I never considered any of them difficult. But I do like difficult platforming...
Amir0x said:
Not sure if I'm gonna get this yet
Then later when enough people are paying attention:

Amir0x said:
I never understand GAF. Everyone knows my taste ... Why would I suddenly like this? ... I know it's not worth it.
:lol

That's the problem with making such a show about your own opinions, when they can really be quite fickle. And that's fine. But don't give other people a hard time when you can't keep your story straight.

For the good of GAF, do not get DKCR. Don't even rent it. You're so committed to the idea that this game doesn't align with the tidy, rigid designs of 'Amir0x Game Love' that you'd only come back here and start a ruckus (not a problem in itself - welcome for some). For the good of Amir0x, I think you should give it another shot. It only takes a couple hours to get to world 3 where the level design really gets interesting and the gameplay mechanics are better exploited. You could actually end up enjoying it. Just make sure you don't tell anyone.

totowhoa

Banned
On the world 7 boss now.

FUCK THIS GUY! GAHHH!

I'm finally starting to get his pattern down, but man... once you hit him, I don't know how to avoid taking a hit from his feet mid-air at all. I'm soo close though, assuming he's a 3 hit kill. Easily the hardest boss so far. Jesus Christ.

World 8, here I come. This is easily the best pure 2D platformer I've played since the 16 bit generation. Easily. Rayman is in second place now for 32-bit and onward.

Vomiaouaf

Any hope for a patch that would allow us to roll/blow without having to shake the remote or the chuck?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the game is barely fun to play for me because of that debilitating gimmick... It's a game about precision... Why can't they at least give the option to just press a fucking button?

It's killing me that I've been waiting for that game for so long and the initial experience gets stained for a such a contrived design decision.

Vomiaouaf said:
Any hope for a patch that would allow us to roll/blow without having to shake the remote or the chuck?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the game is barely fun to play for me because of that debilitating gimmick... It's a game about precision... Why can't they at least give the option to just press a fucking button?

It's killing me that I've been waiting for that game for so long and the initial experience gets stained for a such a contrived design decision.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't buy that at all that it's barely fun for you to play because of that, sounds like you are just erring out your frustration like many others.

I actually worried about the controls because of all the impressions and talk and it's really not a dealbreaker or even close.

I have had next to no issues with them at all.

I can't talk about playing the game with just the remote though.

Truly the only place I REALLY cursed the waggling to roll mechanic was the final boss. Granted, it was always a terrible idea, but only then did it really begin to get to me.

I want to know if anyone else agrees about this being the worst offense after they complete it.

othersteve said:
Truly the only place I REALLY cursed the waggling to roll mechanic was the final boss. Granted, it was always a terrible idea, but only then did it really begin to get to me.

I want to know if anyone else agrees about this being the worst offense after they complete it.

Which control scheme did you play the game with???

Vomiaouaf

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

I don't buy that at all that it's barely fun for you to play because of that, sounds like you are just erring out your frustration like many others.

I actually worried about the controls because of all the impressions and talk and it's really not a dealbreaker or even close.

Well, I wish I could have your experience of it, for me it's horribly frustrating. Losing in DKC2 was a galvanizing sadomasochistic kick in your butt because you could only blame yourself for sucking, and I loved it. Losing in DKCR because a shake of my chuck is detected randomly or because I didn't manage my wrist strength properly is just not the kind of challenge I care for. I can see how it appeals to others, for me it's just a funbreaker indeed. Not giving the option of going motion-control free for that kind of game is a retarded move, no matter how you spin it.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Which control scheme did you play the game with???
For the sake of reviewing, I tried both for quite some time. Personally, however, I ended up preferring the Wii-mote only, thanks primarily to the fact that the D-pad + 1 run mechanic I found to be quite a bit more responsive than jamming the analog stick around. I am all about precision in my platforming. :)

Tricky I Shadow said:
December 2nd is when it launches here in Australia.

Bah! The wait is killing me! I want it now damnit! : (

I don't know if you saw complete walkthroughs or just all the trailers of the game but if the latter only, you didn't see much at all.

I watched all the trailers and didn't want to and thought I saw too much, I didn't.

At all.

I know there is a lot they can add to the inevitable sequel but some of the design here is going to be a bitch to top, it's that excellent, I expected a great game, not a complete masterpiece.

I played a little so far, the first 2 levels. I liked what I played, I had to stop because my ear infection is killing my amusement. Hope you get the game soon Tricky|Shadow!

kinggroin

Banned
My God. The Whale level, the Tidal Wave level, and the Mine Cart level early on have already moved this game to one fo the best I've played this year. Platforming heaven.

No idea why I capitalized those level descriptions

kinggroin said:
My God. The Whale level, the Tidal Wave level, and the Mine Cart level early on have already moved this game to one fo the best I've played this year. Platforming heaven.

No idea why I capitalized those level descriptions
The tidal wave level was awesome. I remember the last second save I got on it when I ground pounded the barrier to cover me just as the wave hit. So close and awesome.

And I liked the third world boss. Nothing like
running with a bomb as the bird dive bombs right into my fist, only to have the bomb explode in it's face

Finally got a chance to play this... so, so awesome :DDDDDDDDD So glad I brought my Wii home for Thanksgiving so that I could play it. The controls, the graphics, the level design, the throwbacks to the original DKC games... everything about it just comes together so perfectly :D It seriously might have a chance to overtake Mario Galaxy 2 for game of the year.

Someone really needs to explain to me why people are having a problem with the rolling move, though. It feels extremely natural and responsive and works 100% of the time that it's supposed to, just like the spin move in SMG1 & 2. The only thing I can think of is that people don't realize that they can't use it unless they're running at full speed, and so if they try using it immediately after they start moving or turn around then it won't work since it takes several frames for DK to reach full speed from a standstill.

ccbfan

Picked this up after work and played the first two levels.

Level design is good so far, levels seem more full than NSMB.

Big complaint so far is forced waggle. I feel so uncomfortable doing it. Can't decided which control to use. I'm terrible with waggle when using remote only. I keep messing up. With Nunchuck I can waggle better but I hate playing 2d games with control stick.

Unlike NSMB which I used just remote, waggle wasn't used as often. (Heck I rarely ever used it unless it was absolutely manditory or I had a propeller. In DKCR, I have to used it pretty much every few seconds since its essential to find all the puzzle pieces and letters.

The rolling is odd and hard to pull off with the wiimote only control, but is incredibly easy and intuitive when using the nunchuck combo.

And I just watched the video of level 1-K. Awesome.

KevinCow said:
gpps0.png

BOSS

PhoncipleBone said:
The rolling is odd and hard to pull off with the wiimote only control, but is incredibly easy and intuitive when using the nunchuck combo.

And I just watched the video of level 1-K. Awesome.

I think it works fine in wiimote-only. I'd still rather have the button, but it can actually be quite fun to roll like crazy.

mjc

I've had no problems with the waggle controls. (I'm using the nunchuck combo)

The only complaint I have so far is that the music is too low-key, like it's almost too quiet. I'm only on world two though.

rareside

I must suck, because for some reason I can't figure out how to reach the boss of world 7.

I've beaten all the levels, just haven't collected all the doo-dads.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
dream said:
It's pretty nuts. I despise the DKC series but I picked this up for my nephew the other day and played it for a bit and it's...pretty incredible. So much so that I'm about to pick up a copy for myself.

People keep saying they're the same, but they're 2 completely different games, at least in my mind. I just finished this one up now, loved it, but nothing will ever to the original trilogy for me, it's a combination of nostalgia amongst other things. I missed the differences between the characters, the music was obviously recylced, but I thought they could've done better either way, and other little things. That being said, some of the level designs are genius, and the set pieces are pretty epic, but on to my next point...

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

That's you though. It wasn't a deal breaker for me, I'm a huge fan of the series, so nothing could've really done that. However, this game would've been way better without the motion sensing. It didn't add anything to the experience for me, it was just a gimmick. Rolling got mixed up when I wanted to ground pound, I would move my hand a bit too much and he would take off rolling. There were many occasions where a phantom roll would kill me (I don't mean phantom as it just happened, but more in that I moved my hand just enough), or I didn't roll when I shook the controller causing the timing to be off.

edit- btw, I know gaf will hate me for this, but I really do miss the Kremlins. The main enemies in this are completely forgettable. That might just be the nostalgia talking though.

apana

Got this game on launch day, its incredible, better than nsmb wii for single player but not as fun for multiplayer.

Top Bottom