• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Kard8p3

msdstc said:
People keep saying they're the same, but they're 2 completely different games, at least in my mind. I just finished this one up now, loved it, but nothing will ever to the original trilogy for me, it's a combination of nostalgia amongst other things. I missed the differences between the characters, the music was obviously recylced, but I thought they could've done better either way, and other little things. That being said, some of the level designs are genius, and the set pieces are pretty epic, but on to my next point...

That's you though. It wasn't a deal breaker for me, I'm a huge fan of the series, so nothing could've really done that. However, this game would've been way better without the motion sensing. It didn't add anything to the experience for me, it was just a gimmick. Rolling got mixed up when I wanted to ground pound, I would move my hand a bit too much and he would take off rolling. There were many occasions where a phantom roll would kill me (I don't mean phantom as it just happened, but more in that I moved my hand just enough), or I didn't roll when I shook the controller causing the timing to be off.

edit- btw, I know gaf will hate me for this, but I really do miss the Kremlins. The main enemies in this are completely forgettable. That might just be the nostalgia talking though.

I expected the tiki to be forgettable but I've always thought the same of the Kremlings too.

Newegg for some reason cancelled my DKC order. They took too long to ship it, so I emailed them. They cancelled it and said it was backordered, even though the page says it's in stock...

Well, tomorrow I go off to Gamestop and pick it up. Maybe I'll get Sonic Colors while I'm at it.

Threi

notag
msdstc said:
Rolling got mixed up when I wanted to ground pound
interestingly enough that has nothing to do with the motion sensing and more to do with the fact that both are mapped to the same action. The reason this happens is because you don't let the thumbstick go to neutral before shaking, therefore you get a roll instead. If anything, this speaks to how accurate the motion is in the game, so much so that these other issues even come into play. The same issue would arise if roll/ground pound was mapped to a button press.

Oh man

So you know how I was incredibly worried about playing this game with my girlfriend since she's not an experienced player, is not very good, and would not have fun just watching me play well?

First world? I died ten times. She died zero times.

I have never been so emasculated.

Goddamn you, Nintendo.

Threi

notag
ShockingAlberto said:
Oh man

So you know how I was incredibly worried about playing this game with my girlfriend since she's not an experienced player, is not very good, and would not have fun just watching me play well?

Goddamn you, Nintendo.
It's those damn waggle controls. Had it been mapped to buttons i'm sure you would have showed her up.

AniHawk

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh man

Goddamn you, Nintendo.

Wear a wig that resembles her hair and dress in her clothes and you will gain her power.

Eteric Rice

Vomiaouaf said:
Well, I wish I could have your experience of it, for me it's horribly frustrating. Losing in DKC2 was a galvanizing sadomasochistic kick in your butt because you could only blame yourself for sucking, and I loved it. Losing in DKCR because a shake of my chuck is detected randomly or because I didn't manage my wrist strength properly is just not the kind of challenge I care for. I can see how it appeals to others, for me it's just a funbreaker indeed. Not giving the option of going motion-control free for that kind of game is a retarded move, no matter how you spin it.

I've never had this issue. Maybe try changing the battery?

Threi

notag
honestly though the fact that blow (down + motion), roll (forward + motion), and ground pound (neutral + motion) are all mapped to the same action and sometimes you get the wrong one which can lead to death is a very valid complaint. (kinda minor IMO though.)

But that issue has nothing to do with motion control. Going through metacritic there was at least one review that knocked the game down hard for that, and put the blame on "gimmicky motion". It would be nice to at least think logically on what the control problems may be and not just use motion as a scapegoat.

It's getting very tiresome.

*edit*

just heard the fear factory remix

so disappointed ;_;

*edit #2* Mines remix is fucking awesome though :D

mjc said:
I've had no problems with the waggle controls. (I'm using the nunchuck combo)

The only complaint I have so far is that the music is too low-key, like it's almost too quiet. I'm only on world two though.

Going into the audio settings and lowering SFX from 100 to 75 is the thing to do.

AniHawk

It just wouldn't be a Retro game without controls that piss you off.

Well, I guess it would be Metroid Prime 3, but that's the exception.

Tricky I Shadow said:
December 2nd is when it launches here in Australia.

Bah! The wait is killing me! I want it now damnit! : (

I can feel your pain. I have to wait until the 24th of December to play this one ( as I have sworn to cease buying new video-games until christmas ).

dvolovets

I'm at World 5 and have yet to encounter a single issue with the motion controls. Been playing co-op with my brother and it's been nothing less than a blast. Retro hit this one out of the park, easily eclipsing all three of the other DKCs. In fact, I can't say I'm a huge fan of those games... but DKCR is probably the Wii's best platformer, Galaxy 1/2 aside.

Instro

I havent really run into any problems with the motion controls, I have no clue how people are having trouble with them. The roll being mapped to motion can be a bit annoying during time attack, since its not as quick as pressing a button, but other than that I havent had any issues there. It does take a bit of getting used to though.

Music has been outstanding as well, cant wait to here more. Level 1-K was awesome btw, hard as hell. Totally worth get the gold in time attack as well, that a true test of skill and patience. Cant wait to see what else this game has in store for me.

fireside

I really only have trouble with the Blow action. Not because of the waggle involved, but because Donkey Kong doesn’t move while crouched, so you have to slowly walk up to the stupid flowers and then crouch and then shake the remote, and god help you if you’re not crouching or an enemy appears. Would be easily fixed by letting you move while crouching.

Oh, and that one level in World 3 with the Rhino was a bitch, having to continually run, which means shaking the remote, while jumping accurately wasn’t very easy.

It’d also be nice if you would roll by shaking the remote horizontally, not just vertically. Super Mario Galaxy has trained me too well. Shaking horizontally would actually make more sense, if you think about it.

agrajag

Banned
msdstc said:
People keep saying they're the same, but they're 2 completely different games, at least in my mind. I just finished this one up now, loved it, but nothing will ever to the original trilogy for me, it's a combination of nostalgia amongst other things. I missed the differences between the characters, the music was obviously recylced, but I thought they could've done better either way, and other little things. That being said, some of the level designs are genius, and the set pieces are pretty epic, but on to my next point...

That's you though. It wasn't a deal breaker for me, I'm a huge fan of the series, so nothing could've really done that. However, this game would've been way better without the motion sensing. It didn't add anything to the experience for me, it was just a gimmick. Rolling got mixed up when I wanted to ground pound, I would move my hand a bit too much and he would take off rolling. There were many occasions where a phantom roll would kill me (I don't mean phantom as it just happened, but more in that I moved my hand just enough), or I didn't roll when I shook the controller causing the timing to be off.

edit- btw, I know gaf will hate me for this, but I really do miss the Kremlins. The main enemies in this are completely forgettable. That might just be the nostalgia talking though.

Far from being one to defend motion controls in this game, but you do realize that you only roll if you're pushing the analog stick in either direction? You can only ground pound while standing still. Agreed with everything else though. With the rolling, you need to make a big jerk to initiate the roll, which is annoying.

I agree with you on the motion controls being a gimmick in this game. I'm already sick of shaking my arms like a fool every time I need to blow on a flower or something silly like that. Actually, I think the game would've been better off without all the superfluous destructible items, they disrupt the flow of the game.

Miss the Kremlings as well.

Nabs

desu said:
from crediar's twitter

Hope it will get released sooner or later!

That could be big. Believe me, this game was meant to be played with button controls. Especially when you have Diddy.

edit: it seems like there may be some gecko codes to remap waggle to the Wiimotes B button.

agrajag

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
I expected the tiki to be forgettable but I've always thought the same of the Kremlings too.

no way, the kremlings had tons of personality! not only the characters, even their side effects were amusing. I remember my father used to watch me play DKC games, and those wacky kremlings would always get a rise out of my old man

KevinCow

Banned
The tikis aren't bad, but I miss the Kremling screams when you kill them.

Oh, and on the last world,
when it showed a question mark when you died instead of that world's tiki like the other worlds, did anyone else expect K. Rool to be the surprise final boss?

I don't get the Kremling-hatred either. They were awesome enemies, at least in the eyes of a 9-year-old kid ( I think I was that age when I got the original DKC ). Heck, the Pirate-kremlings from DKC2 were even more awesome.

Nose Master

So awesome. Time attack is ridiculous, too. I'm assuming you have to roll->jump through the level without getting hit once to get most of the golds...? :lol

EDIT: Kremlings were stupid. K. Rool, on the other hand, was pretty awesome. Also... just noticed his name stood for cruel. ._.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I don't know if you saw complete walkthroughs or just all the trailers of the game but if the latter only, you didn't see much at all.

I watched all the trailers and didn't want to and thought I saw too much, I didn't.

At all.

I've seen all the trailers released and quite a lot of gameplay videos on YouTube......I've even seen some full levels on YouTube! 0_o

Sgt.Pepper said:
Hope you get the game soon Tricky|Shadow!

Thanks man! I can't wait till I get my hands on it!

nincompoop said:
It seriously might have a chance to overtake Mario Galaxy 2 for game of the year.

Wow...that's some serious praise! Good to hear! Keep the positive impressions coming!

BowieZ said:
Man you remind me so much of Brian Kilmeade.

Lol, I don't even know who that is, but the guy in the video I posted isn't me. Here's a recent photo of me at Hamilton Island:

73006_159557730750079_100000875591506_258134_4970768_n.jpg

PhoncipleBone said:
The rolling is odd and hard to pull off with the wiimote only control, but is incredibly easy and intuitive when using the nunchuck combo.

It seems like the slight majority of people here think the wii-mote+nunchuk combo is a little more accurate than just the wii-mote on its side. I'll definitely be trying the wii-mote+nunchuk combo first.

Shaking the wii-mote and nunchuk seems much more comfortable than just shaking the wii-mote on its side. And doing the ground pound actually makes sense with the wii-mote+nunchuk combo. :D

RawkHawk2010 said:
Going into the audio settings and lowering SFX from 100 to 75 is the thing to do.

Good move! I'm so going to do that! The sound effects do seem a little bit too loud...

upandaway

Nabs said:
That could be big. Believe me, this game was meant to be played with button controls. Especially when you have Diddy.

edit: it seems like there may be some gecko codes to remap waggle to the Wiimotes B button.
Really? Any info on that? Or any other alternatives?

It would be awesome if I could play with the CC somehow.

legend166

Tricky I Shadow said:
I
Lol, I don't even know who that is, but the guy in the video I posted isn't me. Here's a recent photo of me at Hamilton Island:

Stop posting pictures of Hamilton Island. It makes me want to go there for a third time ;_;

Amir0x

Banned
Socreges said:
Dude....

Did you forget why people started talking about you and DKCR in the first place? We should be puzzled by you, not the other way around:

Then later when enough people are paying attention:

:lol

That's the problem with making such a show about your own opinions, when they can really be quite fickle. And that's fine. But don't give other people a hard time when you can't keep your story straight.

My opinion at that time was of the "not sure if want" (because the only thing fickle about me is my ability to bend to hype, fuckin' Amir0x...), then very soon thereafter in this very thread I was all "nah." That's a very consistent opinion: deciding, then a decision was made. Not sure what other thought process you go through when you make decisions :lol

Socreges said:
For the good of GAF, do not get DKCR. Don't even rent it. You're so committed to the idea that this game doesn't align with the tidy, rigid designs of 'Amir0x Game Love' that you'd only come back here and start a ruckus (not a problem in itself - welcome for some). For the good of Amir0x, I think you should give it another shot. It only takes a couple hours to get to world 3 where the level design really gets interesting and the gameplay mechanics are better exploited. You could actually end up enjoying it. Just make sure you don't tell anyone.

I respect that a lot of people like it, I just don't see what would make me like it. That has nothing to do with 'rigid Amir0x Game love.' jarosh went over a lot of why the DKC has traditionally been so bad, but I have my own reasons too. I played it at ComicCon - I hate the Donkey Kong Country platforming "mechanics" feel. I hate the way Donkey Kong feels to jump, the feel of the way he bounces off enemies. I hate the way they've inserted terrible waggly bits - roll jump was pivotal to these other games, and now waggle? Fuck that. I hate the dumb retarded rocket barrel levels. I think the rambo/etc all feels absolutely awful to control. I don't think the momentum of these characters is on the money, and I think when you've got the platforming movement/momentum/physics wrong, it's not for me. And on top of that, you say I have to spend multiple hours getting to the "good parts." Really, when will I have time?

I am genuinely glad people here seem to like it. I dig Retro, they're a great company and I want them to continue on to make games I do like. But every time someone tells me to try something when I'm pretty damn sure of my tastes about things, it never ends well. I'm just pretty in tune with my tastes is all.

I don't want another thread to come by with me bitching and then everyone yelling at me for my "unmodly" behavior simply because i was expressing an opinion they don't like to hear.

Maxrunner

Amir0x said:
My opinion at that time was of the "not sure if want" (because the only thing fickle about me is my ability to bend to hype, fuckin' Amir0x...), then very soon thereafter in this very thread I was all "nah." That's a very consistent opinion: deciding, then a decision was made. Not sure what other thought process you go through when you make decisions :lol

I respect that a lot of people like it, I just don't see what would make me like it. That has nothing to do with 'rigid Amir0x Game love.' jarosh went over a lot of why the DKC has traditionally been so bad, but I have my own reasons too. I played it at ComicCon - I hate the Donkey Kong Country platforming "mechanics" feel. I hate the way Donkey Kong feels to jump, the feel of the way he bounces off enemies. I hate the way they've inserted terrible waggly bits - roll jump was pivotal to these other games, and now waggle? Fuck that. I hate the dumb retarded rocket barrel levels. I think the rambo/etc all feels absolutely awful to control. I don't think the momentum of these characters is on the money, and I think when you've got the platforming movement/momentum/physics wrong, it's not for me. And on top of that, you say I have to spend multiple hours getting to the "good parts." Really, when will I have time?

I am genuinely glad people here seem to like it. I dig Retro, they're a great company and I want them to continue on to make games I do like. But every time someone tells me to try something when I'm pretty damn sure of my tastes about things, it never ends well. I'm just pretty in tune with my tastes is all.

I don't want another thread to come by with me bitching and then everyone yelling at me for my "unmodly" behavior simply because i was expressing an opinion they don't like to hear.

you dont like this one too???better sell that wii then lolol

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:

I see. Oh well, luckily for us platformer lovers that's a huge selection this gen. :D

I just realized something about the controls. In the original games, roll was mapped to Y. So if you wanted to run, you started off with a roll. In this game, Retro has altered the mechanics of the roll - now it launches you a fair distance instead of simply getting you started. So (in sideways wiimote control), I now totally understand why roll isn't mapped to the 1 button - every time I want to run, I do NOT want to roll that far.

In a hypothetical CC configuration, it could always be mapped to a different button, of course. But this makes the decision make a little more sense to me.

I finally got my copy of the game last night and I'm halfway through world 3 right now. I'm just playing through the levels and I'll go back and collect everything later. As much as I'm loving the game I do feel that about 25% of my deaths occur from the controls and not from my lack of skill. There is too much of a lag between the second I start shaking the controller and when the move actually occurs. To me DKC has always been about precision movements and you just can't get that with motion controls. I own Wii, PS3 with Move, and 360 with Kinect, so I have nothing against motion controls. I just think some games were made for it and some weren't.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stormwatch said:
I finally got my copy of the game last night and I'm halfway through world 3 right now. I'm just playing through the levels and I'll go back and collect everything later. As much as I'm loving the game I do feel that about 25% of my deaths occur from the controls and not from my lack of skill. There is too much of a lag between the second I start shaking the controller and when the move actually occurs. To me DKC has always been about precision movements and you just can't get that with motion controls. I own Wii, PS3 with Move, and 360 with Kinect, so I have nothing against motion controls. I just think some games were made for it and some weren't.

Your opinion seems pretty unanimous, and it really bugs me as I cant see why waggle to rolling would be shoehorned in unless it was typical Nintendo forcing something Wii specific in a game that doesn't really need it.

Platformers should always been about precision and tight controls. Its disappointing that something so integral is perhaps not as tight as it should be.

JoeFenix

EatChildren said:
Your opinion seems pretty unanimous, and it really bugs me as I cant see why waggle to rolling would be shoehorned in unless it was typical Nintendo forcing something Wii specific in a game that doesn't really need it.

Platformers should always been about precision and tight controls. Its disappointing that something so integral is perhaps not as tight as it should be.

I think it's dumb that Retro didn't give the option to people who hate the motion stuff but saying that the game isn't precise is flat out wrong.

Just look at the video I posted above, I never get a miss-roll, it's super responsive and works every single time.

I can understand people not liking it but it clearly works perfectly fine!

TheExodu5

Banned
Stormwatch said:

Although I agree that I'd prefer the roll on a button, rolling is unecessary 99% of the time in DKCR. The only time you need to roll is to collect the goodies as part of a roll jump.

edit: time trials are another matter...I can see the roll jump definitely becoming a problem there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JoeFenix said:
I think it's dumb that Retro didn't give the option to people who hate the motion stuff but saying that the game isn't precise is flat out wrong.

Just look at the video I posted above, I never get a miss-roll, it's super responsive and works every single time.

I can understand people not liking it but it clearly works perfectly fine!

Bad wording on my part. I'm sure its precise, I just think platformers should be all about having the absolute best in controls, since its so important to the gameplay. I'm pretty big on waggle (I was one of the few who seemed to prefer it in TP), but it does seem like the wrong decision here.

JoeFenix

EatChildren said:
Bad wording on my part. I'm sure its precise, I just think platformers should be all about having the absolute best in controls, since its so important to the gameplay. I'm pretty big on waggle (I was one of the few who seemed to prefer it in TP), but it does seem like the wrong decision here.

Well it does give the game a unique feel that I definitely enjoy, it feels very kinetic and rhythm based to me.

But you're right they absolutely should have included the option to roll with a button and you should have been able to use the classic controller.

Dumb move on their part for sure!

Nabs

upandaway said:
Really? Any info on that? Or any other alternatives?

It would be awesome if I could play with the CC somehow.

If you have a homebrewed wii, you can google the gecko codes and try them out. It's complicated though.

My thumbs may be hurting, but I did it, I beat the game along with all the K levels. I can also proudly say that I did it without once using the super guide. Easily one of my favorite games this year and definitely the best platformers I've played in ages. :D

One question now,
do you get anything for beating the Golden Temple (9-1) level or is it just an extra level to die on a hundred times?

gogojira

Played an hour or so last night, I think I prefer the Wiimote sideways method honestly. There's something about holding down a dash button that works better for me with platform games.

I don't like the motion controls for the most part. If the game had Classic Controller support that'd be great. They're not bad, I'd just rather all actions be mapped to a button.

Aside from that, and the disappointing quality of the music so far, DKC Returns is really damn good. It's a classic side-scrolling platformer, which I love, and Retro's art style is once again superb.

I was missing an puzzle in level 1-1, it was the one in the cave at the beginning. :lol

I'm trying to get all the KONG letters and puzzle parts as I go. I'll leave the time trials for later. No problems with the rolls so far.

I'm almost positive the mandated motion controls are from Nintendo thinking, since this is a big holiday game, it will be easier to sell if people are sitting on the couch and waggling all the time. It's less "dynamic" to have people just sitting in front of a couch and playing a game.

Hopefully they reconsider for the next game.

Platy

Got the game !
And ....did the first level required the "advanced" roll+jump to get a simple kong letter ????

This will be .... interesting

DarkPanda

I'm at world 2 (I'm playing this game very slowly, due to playing it in co-op at a friend's house), and I just figured out the actual timing of the boost jump you get after killing an enemy. Throughout all of world 1 (and the K level) I assumed you had to hit jump again during a small window when you were actually touching the enemy. No. Actually all you have to do is hit jump again and hold it anytime *before* you hit the enemy. I feel so stupid; this would have made 1-K sooo much easier.

Kandinsky said:
I just tried this game at a store today, rolling by shaking the wiimote must be the worst thing ever, why Retro, why?!?!
For me is a non-issue. The roll isn't that needed, and is really easy to pull out; with the nunchuck is even easier. All the times I died was lack of skill instead on the controllers.

Top Bottom