• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Chris R

Effect said:
I wonder what the chances of classic controller support being hidden within the game are. There but simply not acknowledge by Nintendo.
I'd buy the game right away if this was the case. Sadly I doubt they have classic controller support hidden away somewhere :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm just gonna play with the wiimote. Maybe it's my petite hands, but it works fine for me. I likes to keep it simple.

Just went through my photos from my holiday to Hamilton Island from this year and this reminded me of the silhouette levels:

73495_159557000750152_100000875591506_258120_5008159_n.jpg

It looks badass! All I need is the red DK tie! And in case you’re wondering, Hamilton Island is near Queensland - Australia. :D

Kard8p3

Tricky I Shadow said:
Just went through my photos from my holiday to Hamilton Island from this year and this reminded me of the silhouette levels:

73495_159557000750152_100000875591506_258120_5008159_n.jpg

It looks badass! All I need is the red DK tie! And in case you’re wondering, Hamilton Island is near Queensland - Australia. :D

That's awesome.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The latest Nintendo Voice Chat podcast mentions a run button in classic controller mode. So there's your confirmation. Actually they said "classic control", so they are probably talking about sideways Wiimote.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Software Production Group No.3, Nintendo should get their assistance nods on RetroStudios games. They basically handle the planning (Tabata), production (Tanabe), and music (Yamamoto) on MP1-3 and DKCR.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The music was obviously a pretty important part of the experience with DKC. Have we heard anything similar to the atmospheric music of the original in this new game? I'm hoping it's not entirely up-beat tunes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dark10x said:
The music was obviously a pretty important part of the experience with DKC. Have we heard anything similar to the atmospheric music of the original in this new game? I'm hoping it's not entirely up-beat tunes.

Many remixes from the first game, all of which sound rad. New music is hit and miss, but we haven't really heard enough at this point.

big_z

agrajag said:
how do you run in DKC if you're using wiimote+nunchuck?

analog stick

just watched the world 7-8 trailer. holy shit, this is beyond anything rare ever thought of. im expecting high scores.

Hobbun

For those who have turned the Wii remote sideways, how do you find it has worked out for you in regards to control?

I think that is what I am going to do, it mimics the classic controls the best (which I feel should be an option).

Edit: Obviously I am talking to those who may have review copies.

CaVaYeRo

I spent some hours with the game and posted some new hands-on impressions in Spanish:

http://www.revogamers.net/avances/donkey-kong-country-returns-impresiones-717/1.html

I guess most of you should know about the tidbits I stress in there, but just in case: there are 5 layers of animated backgrounds. Sometimes, they appear/popup super paper mario / another code R style. It's locked 60 fps. It has a genius part on the tsunami level where you have to decide whether jumping onto the crayfish, with the risk of being caught by the wave, or staying crouch, with the risk of that crayfish killing you :lol

I also loved the barrel-launching parts, the puzzles are awesome when I thought Rare had already came up with every idea with them. The destructible/changeable pirate ships are great, too. And all the Aztec-ruins type levels were incredible! I died like 894375 times, but I had a blast and I kind of got used to the shaking thing when in NES style.

So if you have any questions, shoot me a peanut :D

CaVaYeRo said:
I spent some hours with the game and posted some new hands-on impressions in Spanish:

http://www.revogamers.net/avances/donkey-kong-country-returns-impresiones-717/1.html

I guess most of you should know about the tidbits I stress in there, but just in case: there are 5 layers of animated backgrounds. Sometimes, they appear/popup super paper mario / another code R style. It's locked 60 fps. It has a genius part on the tsunami level where you have to decide whether jumping onto the crayfish, with the risk of being caught by the wave, or staying crouch, with the risk of that crayfish killing you :lol

I also loved the barrel-launching parts, the puzzles are awesome when I thought Rare had already came up with every idea with them. The destructible/changeable pirate ships are great, too. And all the Aztec-ruins type levels were incredible! I died like 894375 times, but I had a blast and I kind of got used to the shaking thing when in NES style.

So it looks like with 1 game, Retro has out done all 3 of Rare's efforts?

Hobbun

CaVaYeRo said:

Thanks for the impressions!

Did you play via the Wii remote+nunchuk or the Wii remote turned sideways?

weepy

CaVaYeRo said:

Did you write one in ingles?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
dark10x said:
The same atmospheric music won't go with the current style as well. It's for the best that they are not going with it and instead use a few remixed but in a manner that goes with the graphical look. Pleases both fans of the original and the critics

CaVaYeRo

Hobbun said:
Thanks for the impressions!

Did you play via the Wii remote+nunchuk or the Wii remote turned sideways?

Played sideways for most of the time, until the batteries flap started to relive my NSMBW wound :lol . Then I played some times Wiimote+Nunchuk, just like I did @ E3. The thing is, when you get used to shake both hands I find it hard to understand that any hand would do the job, with less control over the joystick/A-B button at the same time. But at the end I enjoyed the shaking technique, it feels similar to NSMBW air dodge but with a jungle vibe to it. If my play was difficult, it's even more difficult when you have to re-time your edge jump by shaking, or when you have to press jump button at the right time (and not hold it) to jump high from the enemies. I think I just like that kind of changes when they actually work, like in this case.

weepy said:
Did you write one in ingles?

No, lo siento. That's why I was quoting some things.

Hobbun

CaVaYeRo said:
Played sideways for most of the time, until the batteries flap started to relive my NSMBW wound :lol . Then I played some times Wiimote+Nunchuk, just like I did @ E3. The thing is, when you get used to shake both hands I find it hard to understand that any hand would do the job, with less control over the joystick/A-B button at the same time. But at the end I enjoyed the shaking technique, it feels similar to NSMBW air dodge but with a jungle vibe to it. If my play was difficult, it's even more difficult when you have to re-time your edge jump by shaking, or when you have to press jump button at the right time (and not hold it) to jump high from the enemies. I think I just like that kind of changes when they actually work, like in this case.

So, are you saying you found it more difficult using the Wiimote+nunchuk combination, less, or about the same (as turning it sideways)?

I ask because I want to use the method that is easier/less frustrating. I have heard this game is quite challenging and I will need all the help I can get. :lol

CaVaYeRo

Hobbun said:
So, are you saying you found it more difficult using the Wiimote+nunchuk combination, less, or about the same (as turning it sideways)?

I ask because I want to use the method that is easier/less frustrating. I have heard this game is quite challenging and I will need all the help I can get. :lol

I think it actually depends on some facts, like if you started NES style like me. I wanted to try that style because it was new for me at that time. Then, it might be loose nunchuk style if you don't have both hands tied to the Wiimote. But I wouldn't mind playing nunchuk style and analog joystick is probably better for some moves.

So, yes, a bit more difficult for me since I started the other way.

weepy

How do you feel about the music? Does it fit well in context, or is this a case where the remix tracks feel out-of-place and/or over shadows the original tracks in the game?

Hobbun

CaVaYeRo said:
I think it actually depends on some facts, like if you started NES style like me. I wanted to try that style because it was new for me at that time. Then, it might be loose nunchuk style if you don't have both hands tied to the Wiimote. But I wouldn't mind playing nunchuk style and analog joystick is probably better for some moves.

So, yes, a bit more difficult for me since I started the other way.

Ok, like myself then (starting with the SNES). I probably will try it both ways, but I am leaning towards turning the Wiimote sideways. I was hoping they would allow Classic Controller support as well.

Thanks.

Cygnus X-1

Kad5 said:
So could this game top the Galaxy games as best platformer?

I'm really curious to see how this turns out.

Comparing 2D games to 3D games is something you should not do. Anyway, since the soundtrack of DKCR will never be able to top the ones made by Mahito Yokota, my answer is definitely no.

Comparing it to NSMBW is another story though.

[Nintex]

Cow Mengde said:
So it looks like with 1 game, Retro has out done all 3 of Rare's efforts?
It is said that at night you can hear the Mayles brothers cry at the very same hills the Stampers made their escape at night.

Played DKC today haven't in years. did a sweet run through took about 2 hours (without level skipping secrets) was such a blast. It was weird though, some things I just did off of muscle memory not even realizing how I remembered the stuff. Cant image the amount of times I've beaten that game.

Love me some DK :D

Rich!

rhfb said:
I'd buy the game right away if this was the case. Sadly I doubt they have classic controller support hidden away somewhere :(

Resident Evil 4 did. I still have hope! If not, I will end up playing it on Dolphin emulated at some point - I want to use my SNES classic controller!

udivision

HenryGale said:
Played DKC today haven't in years. did a sweet run through took about 2 hours (without level skipping secrets) was such a blast. It was weird though, some things I just did off of muscle memory not even realizing how I remembered the stuff. Cant image the amount of times I've beaten that game.

Love me some DK :D

Ha, same here! Now for DKC2...

Top Bottom