• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

TheExodu5

Banned
I really hope someone in the homebrew scene figures out how to make the game work with the Classic Controller, or at least remapable binds.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Beat the final boss
and unlocked the Golden Temple... didn't even look at it though, taking a break.

GWX said:
edit 2: How do I unlock those x-K stages and time trials? Getting all collectibles in a world? Because that would take me very long :lol
To get the K levels you have to get all the KONG letters in the world. Pretty sure you just have to beat a stage to unlock the time trial, don't have to get any of the collectibles.

Big One

Banned
I still think Retro shouldn't touch the Zelda franchise tbh, but they did wonders with Donkey Kong and Metroid regardless. I'm probably the minority here, but I just don't think they should abandoned the current developers of Zelda since they're already doing a fine job with the series and are willing to try out plenty of new ideas with Skyward Sword. Spirit Tracks also revived faith that the Zelda development teams are still able to make competent puzzles that don't rely on series norm.

On DKCR, I've been playing it rather sluggishly over the last few days taking my sweet time with it and I must say this really is the best Donkey Kong game ever. There isn't many, but this takes the cake. It takes all of the best elements from DKC, Jungle Beat, the Mario series, and various original ideas and puts it into a tight package. Easily the best game of the Wii blowout this month.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally, I'd like to see Retro do "The Legend of Zelda 5" as a top-down view, 2.5d visual action-RPG. I'm getting that numbering from the pre-3D series: Link to the Past is "Zelda 3" and by many accounts, Link's Awakening is "Zelda 4".

But the original mainline Zelda series ends there, with various other portable spinoffs. Everything is 3D Zelda / Ocarina of Time influenced.

So yes; give Retro LttP / Awakening as a blueprint, and let them work from there. Emphasize that it's not a "remake", but a genuine sequel just as DKCR is. Gotta be bigger and better while encapsulating the core values of the games.

hatchx

Banned
Threi said:
personally I don't feel motion adds a thing in this game.

Mashing a button to ground pound, and holding a button to roll would provide equal results.

However the controls in this game (and many other wii games) are perfectly serviceable. My issue more than anything is people who blame any and everything regarding control on "unresponsive waggle". Like I said before if there is anything to fault the controls for (which is barely anything), it would be the fact that they mapped so many actions to motion. That issue wouldn't go away if it was mapped to a button.

It could have very easily been the 'C' button. Not to mention the 'Z' and 'B' button do the same thing.

I don't have a problem with the motion controls, I actually really like them and I think they work fine, I just believe in this day an age the more control options the better. Hell, every Nintendo game should support CC, even wii sports and Mario Galaxy.

Big One said:
On DKCR, I've been playing it rather sluggishly over the last few days taking my sweet time with it and I must say this really is the best Donkey Kong game ever. There isn't many, but this takes the cake. It takes all of the best elements from DKC, Jungle Beat, the Mario series, and various original ideas and puts it into a tight package. Easily the best game of the Wii blowout this month.

Only the month? I'd argue it's contender for GOTY across all platforms.

udivision

How well does this game play with just the Wiimote? I'm assuming it's better with a nunchuck, but I don't have two of those yet. And... my only one tends to not function after a few minutes of play.

sikkinixx

udivision said:
How well does this game play with just the Wiimote? I'm assuming it's better with a nunchuck, but I don't have two of those yet. And... my only one tends to not function after a few minutes of play.

I like it better with just the wiimote, though both are pretty annoying. Boneheaded move by whoever is in charge.

Salsa

Hey guys, play this game co-op while you are both high, specially if you are on a mine-cart level.

Jesus christ :lol

Eteric Rice

udivision said:

I've been playing it with just the Wii-mote and it works fine for me.

Adam J.

udivision said:

I beat it with just the wiimote. The motion controls are fine if you don't try to half-ass the shakes.

apana

I'm on the 7th area and have completed all the stages but it wont let me go forward to fight the boss. Can anybody help me out?

dwebo

apana said:
I'm on the 7th area and have completed all the stages but it wont let me go forward to fight the boss. Can anybody help me out?
Find the red button in each of the three last stages.
Didn't you see the signs? :lol

Rich!

Hm. Just listening to the soundtrack (it's all available now). And yeah, it's nowhere near the level of DKC2 unfortunately - or even Metroid Prime 1 or 2! Disappointing. It's serviceable, but I expected more from yamamoto. I don't understand why he resorted to just replicating some tracks note for note (jungle theme, treetops, life in the mines, temple, forest) rather than taking samples of melodies and creating his own tracks (like he did with a select few, and like what Wise and Fischer did with 2 and 3). Each DKC had its own unique sound, but this...doesn't.

It actually sounds more like DK64 than DKC in a few tracks (namely some boss music).

Oblivion said:
Is there a remix of the lava level theme from DKC2?

No, just remixes from DKC1 - nothing from 2 or 3.

Neiteio

Could someone tell me what the unlockable dioramas are like? Or maybe show them to me? If they're anything even remotely similar to the trophies of Smash Bros., I'll be ecstatic. :)

I think they should either work on an original IP or try their hand at another franchise. F-Zero? Star Fox? MOTHER!? (not going to happen, at all...)

I'd be down with a Retro developed Zelda, these mother fuckers know how to make some games.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
[Nintex] said:
Heads-up Dutch GAF, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario All-Stars will launch on December 1st because of Sinterklaas :)
Oh thanks, will hold off on the importing then since GT5 got me covered for now

Balb

richisawesome said:
Hm. Just listening to the soundtrack (it's all available now). And yeah, it's nowhere near the level of DKC2 unfortunately - or even Metroid Prime 1 or 2! Disappointing. It's serviceable, but I expected more from yamamoto. I don't understand why he resorted to just replicating some tracks note for note (jungle theme, treetops, life in the mines, temple, forest) rather than taking samples of melodies and creating his own tracks (like he did with a select few, and like what Wise and Fischer did with 2 and 3). Each DKC had its own unique sound, but this...doesn't.

It actually sounds more like DK64 than DKC in a few tracks (namely some boss music).

No, just remixes from DKC1 - nothing from 2 or 3.

Yeah the soundtrack is kind of disappointing to me. They got the level design right but for whatever reason I can't get into the wraparounds. The soundtrack, overworld map, the Scooby Doo style voice-overs for DK etc just set a really vanilla tone.

With that being said though the game is incredibly fun.

Socreges

Banned
Amir0x said:
My opinion at that time was of the "not sure if want" (because the only thing fickle about me is my ability to bend to hype, fuckin' Amir0x...), then very soon thereafter in this very thread I was all "nah." That's a very consistent opinion: deciding, then a decision was made. Not sure what other thought process you go through when you make decisions :lol
Read my post again. It was meant to address how you laughed at people that were telling you the merits of the game, as if you hadn't only said up until that point that you were considering it. Then your 'decision had been made' and everyone else was a fool for ever thinking otherwise.

Amir0x said:
I respect that a lot of people like it, I just don't see what would make me like it. That has nothing to do with 'rigid Amir0x Game love.' jarosh went over a lot of why the DKC has traditionally been so bad, but I have my own reasons too. I played it at ComicCon - I hate the Donkey Kong Country platforming "mechanics" feel. I hate the way Donkey Kong feels to jump, the feel of the way he bounces off enemies. I hate the way they've inserted terrible waggly bits - roll jump was pivotal to these other games, and now waggle? Fuck that. I hate the dumb retarded rocket barrel levels. I think the rambo/etc all feels absolutely awful to control. I don't think the momentum of these characters is on the money, and I think when you've got the platforming movement/momentum/physics wrong, it's not for me. And on top of that, you say I have to spend multiple hours getting to the "good parts." Really, when will I have time?

I am genuinely glad people here seem to like it. I dig Retro, they're a great company and I want them to continue on to make games I do like. But every time someone tells me to try something when I'm pretty damn sure of my tastes about things, it never ends well. I'm just pretty in tune with my tastes is all.

I don't want another thread to come by with me bitching and then everyone yelling at me for my "unmodly" behavior simply because i was expressing an opinion they don't like to hear.
Please don't use my talking about something else as rationale for you to step on your cherished soapbox to restate aggressive opinions that really don't interest me. I only ever wanted to address this:

"I like that the difficulty is so high"/"I'm not sure if I'll get it" <----> HOURS/DAYS PASS <----> "I played it weeks ago, hated it, why would I ever like this? You guys are silly"

Also, I had no idea that you had such a dearth of free time - your gaming and posting habits gave me the wrong impression, I suppose. ;)

Socreges

Banned
Threi said:
best thing about that vid is the guy playing is doing the roll-as-soon-as-you-land technique (a complaint against waggle controls specifically stated on this very page) effortlessly and repeatedly every time he wants to. It's pretty obvious what's going on here...

...he's a robot which is able to reprogram the wiimote through a connector in his palm so that it registers motions via his mind.
Man, enough with the passive aggression.

This reminds me so much of the Other M thread. People were all in a tizzy over negative opinions (however calmly stated).

I've just beat the game (sans the
Golden Temple
), it's a really awesome game (better than the originals maybe?), but seriously, shake to roll is inexcuseably retarded and genuinely got me killed a few times in the final boss fight.

pgtl_10

I got DKCR today and man I couldn't wait to play as Diddy and cartwheeling everywhere. When I finally got Diddy I couldn't play as him. I read the manual and found out that he is only available in 2P mode. Who came out with that idea? Already my enthuesiaism for this game has dropped.:( Is all Diddy suppose to do is be a jetpack for DK?

pgtl_10 said:
I got DKCR today and man I couldn't wait to play as Diddy and cartwheeling everywhere. When I finally got Diddy I couldn't play as him. I read the manual and found out that he is only available in 2P mode. Who came out with that idea? Already my enthuesiaism for this game has dropped.:( Is all Diddy suppose to do is be a jetpack for DK?
That, and he gives you infinite roll. I don't have anyone to play with so I haven't tried co-op.

I believe they came up with that from NSMBWii, where you could only play 1-P with Mario.

pgtl_10

Sgt.Pepper said:
That, and he gives you infinite roll. I don't have anyone to play with so I haven't tried co-op.

I believe they came up with that from NSMBWii, where you could only play with Mario in 1-P.

What a shame! the beauty of DKC was the contrast between characters as a team. This reminds of Crystal Chronicles where the fun stuff is only allowed in two player mode. Having to switch out between characters at certain point would have made the game so much funner. Apprarently throwing Diddy won't happen either? I'm dissapointed in the limitations.

jett

D-Member
Finished, really solid platformer and stays true to DKC's roots. Beautiful game too. Of all the levels I've played 1-K gotta be the best one.

Gotta say I didn't enjoy the motion controls, and I had some responsiveness issues more than once, especially near the end when things get more complicated. Should've made it so that any kind of shake made you roll, like the spin in SMG.

jett said:
Finished, really solid platformer and stays true to DKC's roots. Beautiful game too. Of all the levels I've played 1-K gotta be the best one.
Did you do the Time Trials? 1-K Gold Medal is one of my favorites.

BowieZ

Banned
BGBW said:
Oh I how love the web engineer at HMV. Thanks to him I still get 10% discounts despite not being a student any more. DKCR for £26. Lovely jubly.

Bring on the 3rd.

EDIT: "I how" Good lord I should attention to what I type. "how I" is what it should be.
;)

Hiltz

Yep, this game is great except for the forced motion control.

The motion control seems too sensitive when you're about to pummel a Tiki enemy after a boss fight when using the Wii remote controller sideways. I just barely moved the controller and it instantly caused DK to punch out the Tiki in 1 hit.

The level design is brilliantly evil. I'm currently on World 4 and was ashamed to use the Super Guide for the first time in the mine cart level with the blue crystals that lower down to hit your head if you don't duck (I can get past the mole that throws the bomb but then I screw up). I can only imagine how much more difficult this game would be if you were only given 1 life per level. Retro made the right call to give players more hearts and several opportunities to earn extra lives.

I really liked the first Sunset level and the one where you ride on top of the whale too. WAs not a fan of the pirate ship cannon ball bombardment sections of some of the beach levels. u. It's kind of hard to tell where they'll land as they slightly follow you and don't have a shadow appear on the ground before they explode. Plus, you can still die by getting too close to an exploding bomb. I got really frusterated and lost a handful of lives at the end of an early level where DK has to be shot out of that barrel and into the mouth of a big Monkey statue.

I hope there's more interesting enemies besides the crabs and Tiki. I liked the chicken/turkey (whatever it is) walking on bamboo sticks and those fuzzy, little critters that make funny noises.

D-Pad

TheExodu5 said:
Now that I started doing time trials: FUCK WAGGLE UP THE ASS.
Yep. That's about the time I started hating the waggle as well. Didn't help that I was just half way through world 5 or 6, because I hated it the rest of the way.:lol

Edit - Tried with the Wiimote + Nunchuk as well, it was easier to execute the roll but I end up hitting the + button accidentally and pausing the game.

Weird. Just so you know, rolls are much more effective after and before jumping, don't shake too much or it won't recognize the shake; you have to do them timely. It's actually quite easy, try the 1-K Time trial video for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI91ByKpKpU

You can only do roll if you're pressing forward, otherwise it will do the pound.

D-Pad said:
Edit - Tried with the Wiimote + Nunchuk as well, it was easier to execute the roll but I end up hitting the + button accidentally and pausing the game.

Some of you guys are really weird about this. No offense, but that has never happened to me regarding waggling.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Some of you guys are really weird about this. No offense, but that has never happened to me regarding waggling.
Same, I haven't accidentally done any action I didn't want or that didn't respond to my shake. It has worked perfectly to me, in fact I just did Gold 1-2 without any problem.

apana

I prefer wii mote only but for some reason Donkey Kong runs slower when using a d-pad as opposed to the analog stick. I know I'm going to look really stupid for this but what am I doing wrong?

Sgt.Pepper said:
Same, I haven't accidentally done any action I didn't want or that didn't respond to my shake. It has worked perfectly to me, in fact I just did Gold 1-2 without any problem.

No, I'm saying that I've played a lot of wii games, and I've never shook the wiimote and ended up hitting the pause button. I have to wonder if the people who complain about motion controls don't have a clue how to do them effectively.

To be fair, some games aren't sensitive enough. Sonic Colors requires an almost whip like motion to register. Not sure how it is for donkey kong yet though, need more money.

apana said:
I prefer wii mote only but for some reason Donkey Kong runs slower when using a d-pad as opposed to the analog stick. I know I'm going to look really stupid for this but what am I doing wrong?
Run button...

Blizzard

Banned
Yay, got the game today. Amazon redeemed itself.

I didn't know you couldn't play as Diddy. That's sad. :( Almost as sad as no helicopter Dixie!

apana said:

I believe you have to hold the grab button. It doubles as a run button.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fuck it. I'm not doing time trials. They're way too friggin hard, and the waggle just makes it even more infuriating. I spent 45 minutes trying to get 1-1, and the closest I got was a seemingly flawless run 0.3 seconds off. The fact that they made roll jump faster than regular platforming just makes time trials dumb.

DarkPanda

Bisnic said:
Yeah, that works well unless you have Diddy with you. Then you just hover over the enemy and fail to do a boost jump, then it require precise timing. :(

True, Diddy does mess you up, but like I said, I'm mainly playing in co-op, so I'm usually playing as Donkey only. I did play for a few minutes on single player today though to try and get a feel for the timing w/ Diddy. The jump boosts are harder to do when you have that monkey on your back, but it's still doable with practice. With Diddy, you have to press and hold jump *right before* you hit the enemy, ie when there's a small sliver of pixels between Donkey's feet and the enemy. If you time it right you'll get your high jump; it doesn't matter if you've used the jet pack or not. Somewhat difficult, but with just level or two of practice I was able to hit it pretty consistently.

Top Bottom