• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

KevinCow

Banned
I find it kinda weird and disappointing that there's not a Diddy mode in this game. Seems like something that would've been relatively easy to add since they already have playable Diddy in co-op.

Gilby

Just beat the final level. Absolutely top-notch art the whole game through. My visual favourite was level 8-4, just beautiful. I want more
enemies with neckties, like kowalee, in the sequel. I'm guessing that was a last minute idea that didn't get into most of the game, but I think it's genius. MORE NECKTIES!!!

D-Pad

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Some of you guys are really weird about this. No offense, but that has never happened to me regarding waggling.

My thumb crosses over + and rests on the A button. Why is it so hard to imagine one accidently pressing the + button when they shake? Either the thumb presses down on the controller, pressing down + in the process or the controller presses up against the hand. There's nothing weird about it. It's not like I'm just finding things to pick apart the game.

I need to get my hands on some Wiimote jackets. I sent a request some years ago but Nintendo never shipped me any... It would help big time when my hands get sweaty.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Threi said:
honestly though the fact that blow (down + motion), roll (forward + motion), and ground pound (neutral + motion) are all mapped to the same action and sometimes you get the wrong one which can lead to death is a very valid complaint. (kinda minor IMO though.)

But that issue has nothing to do with motion control. Going through metacritic there was at least one review that knocked the game down hard for that, and put the blame on "gimmicky motion". It would be nice to at least think logically on what the control problems may be and not just use motion as a scapegoat.

It's getting very tiresome.

*edit*

just heard the fear factory remix

so disappointed ;_;

*edit #2* Mines remix is fucking awesome though :D

I didn't say it was because of inaccuracy, it's about precision, and when I have to really focus on making sure the analog is perfectly straight, it can disturb the flow of the game, this is how I feel. I'm not trolling, I'm not trying to cause problems, it's legitimately how I feel. I also understand how it works, you only roll if you're physically pushing the analog, you ground pound even if momentum is still moving you, and you blow if you are holding down. It could been easy to map to buttons, it was mapped on the old series easily enough. Motion sensing just doesn't add anything to it, it's alright if people think so, but it's just incredibly gimmicky to me.

Eteric Rice said:
I've never had this issue. Maybe try changing the battery?

Happens to me, but it's not phantom really, it's that if I slightly move my hand, sometimes it just fires off and it rolls... My problem however is in the A button, not blaming this on anything, but wondering does anybody else ever have this problem? I've tried 3 wiimotes, but sometimes randomly I'll push A to jump and it'll delay.

agrajag said:
Far from being one to defend motion controls in this game, but you do realize that you only roll if you're pushing the analog stick in either direction? You can only ground pound while standing still. Agreed with everything else though. With the rolling, you need to make a big jerk to initiate the roll, which is annoying.

I agree with you on the motion controls being a gimmick in this game. I'm already sick of shaking my arms like a fool every time I need to blow on a flower or something silly like that. Actually, I think the game would've been better off without all the superfluous destructible items, they disrupt the flow of the game.

Miss the Kremlings as well.

I explained this. Here are a few examples. If I'm running and I want to stop on a dime and ground pound to open a flour or whatever in the back to check for a puzzle piece, I will attempt to do that, and sometimes I'll just roll on by. I could simply delay, but in that time trying to make a transition I could lose the time. One good example of a level like this is the one where you're running from the water coming over the top and you have to hide behind things. There's one where you have to stop but there is a crab you have to ground pound. This has to be done very quickly, and there were a handful of times where he went into a roll instead.

This happened to both me, and my friends who tried it throughout the night. once again, I'm just nitpicking, this is my favorite series of all time, and the entire game was an amazing experience. That being said motion controls added NOTHING to the mix for me. I believe it can, but in this case it didn't, at least not for me.

edit- sorry for the poor explanations, just trying to sum things up quickly.

L00P

Okay, I NEED that one artwork in-game of a realistic gorilla swinging around on a pirate ship as my wallpaper. I need it bad!

Let me in

Just passed 3-1. Thought shake-to-roll was going to annoy me but it's a non-issue.

I seem to suck at finding puzzle pieces, but the game's a ton of fun so far. I've died on a few levels, so I'm pleased that it's not baby-easy. And I actually like that I have missed bonus levels. Many are hid creatively.

The game looks fantastic. The platforming feels great.

The only thing I could comment on, as others have, is the shaking for every action. Stopping, pressing down and shaking to do the "blow" action is tiresome if you're like me and you're afraid you're going to miss something. That's the only negative so far.

A few levels into World 3 and wow- just a drop-dead gorgeous game. It's arcadey and alive. All the things the original was not. And who the heck said the soundtrack doesn't live up to the original? I am loving what I hear. I'd be hard-pressed to put this below even Galaxy 2 as my GOTY. It's about as tight as you can make a platformer in this day.

Haunted

msdstc said:
I didn't say it was because of inaccuracy, it's about precision, and when I have to really focus on making sure the analog is perfectly straight, it can disturb the flow of the game, this is how I feel. I'm not trolling, I'm not trying to cause problems, it's legitimately how I feel. I also understand how it works, you only roll if you're physically pushing the analog, you ground pound even if momentum is still moving you, and you blow if you are holding down. It could been easy to map to buttons, it was mapped on the old series easily enough. Motion sensing just doesn't add anything to it, it's alright if people think so, but it's just incredibly gimmicky to me.
That's exactly what people are saying, I think. The issue is with the analogue stick being required in a different position for all three moves, and the motion being the same motion for all three.

It's not the motion controls per se which create the problem. Read the second bolded sentence: you would have the same problems if analogue stick orientation + the same button press would activate the three moves, right? That's what people are saying. The criticism is legit, but it's not the motion controls that are the problem, it's the mapping.

Kad5

Just got this game today. I'm still in the first world. This is the best DK Country I have ever played. This is possibly the best 2d platformer i've ever played. And it is one of the best platformers in general that I have played in the last 10 years. The only platformers to top it are the Mario Galaxy games in my experience.

Retro Studios does no wrong.

TheExodu5

Banned
Let me in said:
Just passed 3-1. Thought shake-to-roll was going to annoy me but it's a non-issue.

I was saying that in World 3 as well.

I challenge you: try to gold the 1-1 time trial. See how much you like waggle then.

I haven't got this game, but the waggle thing sounds really bad. It kinda sucked in NSMBWii, but in this game it's tied to a crucial move so it' much worse. Plus there's no excuse like tilting platforms or whatever.

I'm a completionist, but I don't see myself trying to get gold on time trials, if they are as hard as it sounds.

Hiltz

How do you unlock the artwork and other stuff? Are those what the puzzle pieces are for ?

I've gotten the KONG letters several times (don't remember what they do) but don't recall collecting all of the puzzle pieces in any level.

Balb

Allan Holdsworth said:
I haven't got this game, but the waggle thing sounds really bad. It kinda sucked in NSMBWii, but in this game it's tied to a crucial move so it' much worse. Plus there's no excuse like tilting platforms or whatever.

I'm a completionist, but I don't see myself trying to get gold on time trials, if they are as hard as it sounds.

Things tend to get a bit overblown on NeoGAF. I wouldn't say the controls are "really bad," even if they aren't as optimal as they could be.

JoeFenix

Gold medals aren't that hard to get, Shiny Gold Medals are where the real challenge is.

Gold medals aren't super strict most of the time

Balb said:
Things tend to get a bit overblown on NeoGAF. I wouldn't say the controls are "really bad," even if they aren't as optimal as they could be.

I just mean for time trials, for normal play they are probably tolerable.

totowhoa

Banned
Balb said:

Basically this. It's not optimal but it hardly keeps several game members in this thread from calling it one of their favorite 2D platformers ever, myself included, despite the dislike of this choice. Only real flaw in the game, and it's not as gaping as it seems here. The problem is that it's basically the game's only real flaw :p You could nit pick other things, sure (repetitive bonus stages), but that's pretty much the only pertinent one.

KevinCow

Banned
Hiltz said:
How do you unlock the artwork and other stuff? Are those what the puzzle pieces are for ?

I've gotten the KONG letters several times (don't remember what they do) but don't recall collecting all of the puzzle pieces in any level.

KONG gives you an extra life, but more importantly, collecting it for every level in a world will unlock that world's secret level.

Collecting all the puzzle pieces in a stage unlocks a piece of artwork, but they're hidden pretty well. Many are gotten by collecting all bananas, tokens, and lives in a bonus room, while the rest are just scattered about stages in hidden or hard to reach places.

TheExodu5

Banned
Balb said:

The controls are fantastic aside from the waggle, and the waggle is mostly only an issue in time trials, since you're rolling non stop. And it's a huge issue in time trials...I'm just not going to bother with them.

totowhoa

Banned
Any confirmation if you need gold medals for 100% yet? I haven't tried a time trial in a while... I'd wager I've put in 8 hours, and I tried a time trial last 4 hours ago. Got bronze on the first level despite feeling pretty good about my performance. Definitely wanna go back, because I feel like I've gotten the roll-jump down WAY better since then. It's definitely one of those practice-makes-perfect things... just not in the way you would usually prefer. I feel like I could probably gold medal 1-1 now... think I might try tomorrow.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sklorenz said:
Any confirmation if you need gold medals for 100% yet? I haven't tried a time trial in a while... I'd wager I've put in 8 hours, and I tried a time trial last 4 hours ago. Got bronze on the first level despite feeling pretty good about my performance. Definitely wanna go back, because I feel like I've gotten the roll-jump down WAY better since then. It's definitely one of those practice-makes-perfect things... just not in the way you would usually prefer. I feel like I could probably gold medal 1-1 now... think I might try tomorrow.

Seriously, try it. I can't believe how difficult they made it.

totowhoa

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Seriously, try it. I can't believe how difficult they made it.

No kidding, I thought I would ace it the first since it was 1-1 and I'd played through half the game. I'm definitely bent on trying to do some of the time trials. I've always sort of had the speed-run mentality when it comes to games, so I've already been roll-jumping as often as I can. If I die and know what's coming up, I start trying to fly through it... which sometimes results in more deaths until I get the terrain down more, but it's helped get me really accustomed to roll-jumping.

I was flying through the first half of 1-K flawlessly. Had to slow down when I got to the spikey parts. I look forward to trying to speed run that level... it was so much fun :D

Shocking Alberto: Pretty much how I feel. I'm loving the game and just getting used to it. I'd rather not, but since I love to speed through things, I'm starting to get the jump down pretty solid. Hopefully we get a DKCR2 with the fixed controls minor squabbles. I'm really enjoying Retro's take on the series.

TheExodu5

Banned
I have Super Meat Boy all A+, and I still can't do DKCR 1-1 Gold. Honestly, the levels just around refined and designed around a speed run. Just watch 1-K on Youtube...you need to memorize the whole level and timings. Super Meat Boy, on the other hand, just flows perfectly when you're doing a speed run, as if the levels were designed around the very idea.

totowhoa

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I have Super Meat Boy all A+, and I still can't do DKCR 1-1 Gold. Honestly, the levels just around refined and designed around a speed run. Just watch 1-K on Youtube...you need to memorize the whole level and timings.

I don't have A+ on all the meat boy dark world levels yet, but I know what you mean. This game is really bringing out my boyish love of just playing and replaying levels over and over (in a different way than meat boy), and I'm sort of beginning to obsess with knowing the levels as well as I do the originals. I've got all KONG and puzzle pieces on the first two worlds. I don't think I'll put any serious amount of time into messing with time trials until I've gotten all the collectibles on the next few worlds though. I loved watching through that one user's speed runs through 1-K and 2-K though. I'm excited to get that far along with it, I'm just hoping things will click before the time trials break me. Like I said, I've only tried 1-1 so far, though. I'm on world 8 now and some of those levels just seem like too damn much. I dunno if I'll nail the controls and levels like I did in the old days though. Like you said, for some of the levels... shit just comes out of no where too often to speed run it. I think Meat Boy owes a lot to the camera pan in the regard. You always know what's up ahead well in advance.

TheExodu5

Banned
Someone sent me a PM on how to set the roll to B. Seems like it wouldn't be too uncomfortable. I might just do that. (requires homebrew)

TheExodu5 said:
Someone sent me a PM on how to set the roll to B. Seems like it wouldn't be too uncomfortable. I might just do that. (requires homebrew)
I'll wait for your results!
Adam J. said:
A couple of times I encountered stones with Rambi's face painted on the side. Can you open those?
Of course. If you mean below Rambi, then press down then shake, he does a stomp that works as DK's ground pound.

agrajag

Banned
msdstc said:
I explained this. Here are a few examples. If I'm running and I want to stop on a dime and ground pound to open a flour or whatever in the back to check for a puzzle piece, I will attempt to do that, and sometimes I'll just roll on by. I could simply delay, but in that time trying to make a transition I could lose the time. One good example of a level like this is the one where you're running from the water coming over the top and you have to hide behind things. There's one where you have to stop but there is a crab you have to ground pound. This has to be done very quickly, and there were a handful of times where he went into a roll instead.

This happened to both me, and my friends who tried it throughout the night. once again, I'm just nitpicking, this is my favorite series of all time, and the entire game was an amazing experience. That being said motion controls added NOTHING to the mix for me. I believe it can, but in this case it didn't, at least not for me.

edit- sorry for the poor explanations, just trying to sum things up quickly.

Yeah, that's happened to me as well. Perhaps you're shaking too early, while Donkey is still moving? He has more momentum in this game, and doesn't stop on a dime like in the past DKC games. I don't particularly like how "slippery" the apes control in this game. Btw, I fucking HATE those crabs that you have to attack twice to kill. HATE them.

BTW, I just noticed that if you die a bunch of times in a row in one level, the stupid pig appears and asks if you'd like the super guide to complete the level for you. How insulting! :lol

D-Pad

msdstc said:
...One good example of a level like this is the one where you're running from the water coming over the top and you have to hide behind things. There's one where you have to stop but there is a crab you have to ground pound. This has to be done very quickly, and there were a handful of times where he went into a roll instead.

Did anyone know you could duck behind the little rocks?! My sister did it in co-op, my mind blew so damn hard.

DR2K

Banned
Wow, the barrel levels are so fucking awful. It's the equivalent of a shitty friend in Sonic. Controls, design, artificial difficulty are just repugnant.

DR2K said:
Wow, the barrel levels are so fucking awful. It's the equivalent of a shitty friend in Sonic. Controls, design, artificial difficulty are just repugnant.

What barrel levels???

When you shoot yourself out of barrels during some levels whether automatically or manually???

Please don't tell me you are talking about the glorious rocket barrel levels.

DR2K said:
What? I don't remember barrel levels being cheap...?

DR2K said:
Rocket barrel levels?

I really like those actually.

DR2K

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
What barrel levels???

When you shoot yourself out of barrels during some levels whether automatically or manually???

Please don't tell me you are talking about the glorious rocket barrel levels.

The rocket ones. My bad. The barrel levels are fun. This isn't.

Do they get worse past world 4? They aren't fun, I don't feel like I've accomplished anything beating them. It's like surviving a road trip where you drive a car stuck on reverse. All that tapping, my god, the sweat was everywhere.

DR2K said:

Do they get worse past world 4? They aren't fun, I don't feel like I've accomplished anything beating them. It's like surviving a road trip where you drive a car stuck on reverse. All that tapping, my god, the sweat was everywhere.

RETRO DON'T LISTEN TO HIM FOR THE SEQUEL.

I actually can see some not liking the mechanics of those levels but they add variety to the game and I personally think they look and feel intense and amazing.

agrajag

Banned
DR2K said:

I like them. They remind me of flying around on that pterodactyl thing in Twilight Princess.

DR2K said:

Hm. I thought they were really fun, especially the bat level.

Top Bottom