• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

DR2K said:
You people are sick.:lol Thankfully the game introduced the swinging mechanic in world 5.
They are really intense, chaotic and fun. What's there to hate? I do prefer mining levels, however. :D

On the other hand, I wonder how this game will do in Japan? Considering that the DKC series owns almost half of the sales to Japan alone. DKC2 was half the WW sales in Japan alone, I believe.

Aha! Found the post, thanks to jett:

jett said:
Exceptionally well

Super Donkey Kong - 3.00 million
Super Donkey Kong 2 - 2.21 million
Super Donkey Kong 3 - 1.77 million

http://www.the-magicbox.com/Chart-JPPlatinum.shtml

DR2K

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
They are really intense, chaotic and fun. What's there to hate? I do prefer mining levels, however. :D

Shitty controls, 1 slight miscalculation = death, not really platforming, and they just aren't any fun. If I weren't such a completionist I would ignore them.

-TK- said:
USB-sticks works too.
I got a 8gb flash drive around, can you send me a pm with a guide or something?

Edit: Or does any flash drive work? I forgot I gave the 8 gb one to my sister, I got an old 1gb stick though.

-TK-

D-Pad said:
Don't you only need an SD Card?

Sorry, I meant this.

I used these:

Guide:
http://vggtsworld.ta-host.com/where/ssbb/codes/ocarina/index.html

Codes:

B For Pound Down-B for Blow B+Directional for Roll
285CBE68 FBFF0400
025CBE6E 0000012C
E0000000 80008000
*Wiimote Horizontal*
*Player 1*

or

B For Pound Down-B for Blow B+Directional for Roll
285CC4F0 FBFF0400
025CC4F6 0000012C
E0000000 80008000
*Wiimote Horizontal*
*Player 2*

or

Wiimote Button Remapping
06574054 00000030
00008000 00001000
00000800 00000400
00000100 00000200
00000010 00000008
00000004 00000002
00000001 0000000F
045740A4 00002000
045740A8 00004000
*Default Setup*
*Modify Button Values to Change*

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh wow, after really loving Epic Yarn I started looking into this and, after watching the Game Trailers review, I'm really surprised at how great this looks. I need to buy this asap.

Nabs

-TK- said:
Sorry, I meant this.

btw you can skip a lot of those steps by using a site like geckocodes

it can create the file for you

Rez said:
oh wow, after really loving Epic Yarn I started looking into this and, after watching the Game Trailers review, I'm really surprised at how great this looks. I need to buy this asap.

ASAP

Nose Master

Let me in said:
No codes for remote+nunchuck? I really prefer the nunchuck, is everyone just using the horizontal remote orientation?

I was originally, but it's a bit awkward. Nunchuck + wiimote is where it's at.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Post game spoilers:
Beating the Golden Temple stage gets you Mirror Mode, which not only flips the stages but also eliminates Diddy and gives you only one heart. Some of these stages are going to be a real bitch that way, and of course a number of the bosses, but I'm enjoying the challenge. Up to 126%, still have to collect some puzzle pieces on a few stages too.

It's interesting that some of the pics in the image gallery are of things not featured in the game. A couple look like they were made just for a laugh, but I wonder if others aren't a possible glimpse at sequel ideas.

KevinCow

Banned
If we get a DKCR2 (DKC2R?), I hope it has more animal buddies than just Rambi. Rambi in this game is used more like how DKC1 used animal buddies, where they're pretty much a power-up like a fire flower in Mario but not usually totally vital to finishing the level. But I liked the way they used the animal buddies in DKC2 and 3, where they became major gameplay mechanics, often with entire levels built around them. I liked having more vertical levels where you played as Rattly, or levels that relied on making your own platforms with Squitter. At the very least, we need some flight levels with Squawks. And Enguarde needs to come back in some form, even if he's not playable.

I also hope they bring in Dixie. I get that they probably kept the Kongs to a minimum in this one because they wanted to keep it from turning into DK and his shitty friends. And yeah, I think they should definitely keep out the likes of Candy and Swanky, and even Funky may be a little too '90s. But I think it would be fine if they kept it to just DK, Diddy, Cranky, and Dixie.

I'm not really sure how she should be in the game, though. I don't think they should go all DKC2 again and drop the DK and Diddy team for Diddy and Dixie. Maybe as a third co-op player? But then it'd be weird to have three players and not four, so who could the fourth be? Oh oh, I know! A yellow Toad.

Best game I have played in years, one of the best ever.

The more I replay the levels to get everything, the more I realize that there's not one dull level in the whole game and the amount of ways you can go about getting from here to there isn't limitied, this is topnotch game design at its finest.

Also, some of the music is a lot better than some haven't mentioned, too much focus on the controls and that's fine but this music gets lost in the mix and a lot of it is actually excellent.

As far as what KevinCow posted, Retro left a lot to include in the sequel and while his list was ambitious as to what I think will make it to the next one, a lot of that will at least be considered and some of it will surely end up in the followup, especially the ability to play as Diddy alone(not sure if Dixie will make it) and more animal buddies.

KevinCow

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
KevinCow, since you’re a big Donkey Kong fan, I’m interested where you’d currently rank DKCR compared to the original trilogy.

Hard to say. It's definitely better than the first game, but comparing it to 2 and 3 is a bit harder. I guess I'd say 2 and 3 have more variety and more unique level-specific gameplay mechanics, but the pure platforming in Returns is far more exciting.

Aside from gameplay, I'm slightly - slightly - disappointed that DKCR goes for a more colorful graphical style than DKC1 and 2. It still looks fantastic for sure, especially how active all the levels feel with things moving around in the backgrounds or giant parts of the levels getting destroyed. But I miss the moodier atmosphere of DKC1 and 2 and parts of 3.

If I absolutely had to rank it right now, I'd probably put it above the original trilogy. But then again, none of the original games had an issue as big and glaring as shaking to roll. Though I guess if you look at it from another perspective, that it can have such a huge issue and still be competitive with some of the best platformers ever is just a testament to how good the rest of the game is.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Ugh, no shitty DK friends, especially in place of Donkey Kong like in the original sequels.

It's a good thing Dixie's an AWESOME friend instead of a shitty friend, then!

Platy

Posted some pages back .... i'm also interested in that =3

Neiteio said:
Could someone tell me what the unlockable dioramas are like? Or maybe show them to me? If they're anything even remotely similar to the trophies of Smash Bros., I'll be ecstatic. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
DR2K said:
Wow, the barrel levels are so fucking awful. It's the equivalent of a shitty friend in Sonic. Controls, design, artificial difficulty are just repugnant.
Those are like, the easiest levels in the game.

jett

D-Member
Platy said:
Posted some pages back .... i'm also interested in that =3

It's a little 3D model that depicts a scene from each world. They're pretty neat. Like the Smash Bros trophies, but with scenery. :p

KevinCow said:
Hard to say. It's definitely better than the first game, but comparing it to 2 and 3 is a bit harder. I guess I'd say 2 and 3 have more variety and more unique level-specific gameplay mechanics, but the pure platforming in Returns is far more exciting.

Aside from gameplay, I'm slightly - slightly - disappointed that DKCR goes for a more colorful graphical style than DKC1 and 2. It still looks fantastic for sure, especially how active all the levels feel with things moving around in the backgrounds or giant parts of the levels getting destroyed. But I miss the moodier atmosphere of DKC1 and 2 and parts of 3.

If I absolutely had to rank it right now, I'd probably put it above the original trilogy. But then again, none of the original games had an issue as big and glaring as shaking to roll. Though I guess if you look at it from another perspective, that it can have such a huge issue and still be competitive with some of the best platformers ever is just a testament to how good the rest of the game is.

Nice write up man! :D

I think we have very similar opinions when it comes to Donkey Kong Country. I completely understand your slight disappointment with DKCR having less focus on the atmosphere, and I actually agree!

When all is said and done I'm pretty sure that I'll be sharing your opinion. DKCR's genius level design and improved gameplay are gonna win over better atmosphere and music. I suppose time will tell!

Neiteio

KevinCow said:
If we get a DKCR2 (DKC2R?), I hope it has more animal buddies than just Rambi. Rambi in this game is used more like how DKC1 used animal buddies, where they're pretty much a power-up like a fire flower in Mario but not usually totally vital to finishing the level. But I liked the way they used the animal buddies in DKC2 and 3, where they became major gameplay mechanics, often with entire levels built around them. I liked having more vertical levels where you played as Rattly, or levels that relied on making your own platforms with Squitter. At the very least, we need some flight levels with Squawks. And Enguarde needs to come back in some form, even if he's not playable.

I also hope they bring in Dixie. I get that they probably kept the Kongs to a minimum in this one because they wanted to keep it from turning into DK and his shitty friends. And yeah, I think they should definitely keep out the likes of Candy and Swanky, and even Funky may be a little too '90s. But I think it would be fine if they kept it to just DK, Diddy, Cranky, and Dixie.

I'm not really sure how she should be in the game, though. I don't think they should go all DKC2 again and drop the DK and Diddy team for Diddy and Dixie. Maybe as a third co-op player? But then it'd be weird to have three players and not four, so who could the fourth be? Oh oh, I know! A yellow Toad.
When it comes to DKCR2, I think they should add Dixie, but add Funky as well, using his bandana/muscle shirt/shorts version as seen in Donkey Konga 3 (Japan-only) and Mario Kart Wii (hidden character). It's not "too '90s," and Funky could be a functional Donkey clone, meaning that in four-player, players could pair up for tough spots, or in two-player, each player could control two characters (and in three-player, one player can control up to two charactes, while the other two players each control one). Again, DK and Funky would function the same, and either could be mixed and matched with Diddy and Dixie for unique "power-ups" (i.e. rocket barrels with Diddy, ponytail twirl with Dixie). This would work great, but seeing how tough two-player co-op can be in this game, the levels would have to be especially brilliant in their design to comfortably accomodate four...

When it comes to animal buddies, I think a sequel should focus on Enguarde the swordfish, who is probably the most famous animal buddy after Rambi. Of course, this would mean bringing back underwater levels. If they can find a way to make underwater levels fast and fun, I'm all for it, as it'd be a huge addition and add a whole new dimension of gameplay and abundant opportunity for creative design.

Squitter would also be a delightful addition, spinning midair web platforms and firing web bullets. Perhaps he could even have a new ability in the form of scaling walls and ceilings for upside-down platforming? Any of these powers would handily distinguish him from Rambi.

The other key ingredients for a DKCR2? A snow world -- we need to have a snow world in the sequel -- and KREMLINGS! Bring back K. Rool and his cohorts, and maybe even have a world or two where they're pirate-themed, maybe with a mid-game encounter with K. Rool in his Kaptain form (like encountering Kaos halfway through DKC3). Lay the dark, moody atmosphere on thick -- perhaps a trip to the Kremling homeland is in order? -- and maybe have Yamamoto and Wise collaborate on a track, this time with some authentic orchestral/choir backing.

And online co-op multiplayer with WiiSpeak/Headbanger headset support. Yesss...

Neiteio said:
When it comes to DKCR2, I think they should add Dixie, but add Funky as well, using his bandana/muscle shirt/shorts version as seen in Donkey Konga 3 (Japan-only) and Mario Kart Wii (hidden character). It's not "too '90s," and Funky could be a functional Donkey clone, meaning that in four-player, players could pair up for tough spots, or in two-player, each player could control two characters (and in three-player, one player can control up to two charactes, while the other two players each control one). Again, DK and Funky would function the same, and either could be mixed and matched with Diddy and Dixie for unique "power-ups" (i.e. rocket barrels with Diddy, ponytail twirl with Dixie). This would work great, but seeing how tough two-player co-op can be in this game, the levels would have to be especially brilliant in their design to comfortably accomodate four...

When it comes to animal buddies, I think a sequel should focus on Enguarde the swordfish, who is probably the most famous animal buddy after Rambi. Of course, this would mean bringing back underwater levels. If they can find a way to make underwater levels fast and fun, I'm all for it, as it'd be a huge addition and add a whole new dimension of gameplay and abundant opportunity for creative design.

Squitter would also be a delightful addition, spinning midair web platforms and firing web bullets. Perhaps he could even have a new ability in the form of scaling walls and ceilings for upside-down platforming? Any of these powers would handily distinguish him from Rambi.

The other key ingredients for a DKCR2? A snow world -- we need to have a snow world in the sequel -- and KREMLINGS! Bring back K. Rool and his cohorts, and maybe even have a world or two where they're pirate-themed, maybe with a mid-game encounter with K. Rool in his Kaptain form (like encountering Kaos halfway through DKC3). Lay the dark, moody atmosphere on thick -- perhaps a trip to the Kremling homeland is in order? -- and maybe have Yamamoto and Wise collaborate on a track, this time with some authentic orchestral/choir backing.

And online co-op multiplayer with WiiSpeak/Headbanger headset support. Yesss...

I love so many of these ideas. Returning characters (Dixie and K. Rool, mostly) and level archetypes are my main desires for a sequel.

Instro

JaseC said:
My only request for DKCR2 would be to get Wise on-board as the composer.

Eh so far I've found the music to be just as good as stuff found in DKC. Yamamoto is a better composer anyway.

How big a deal is the waggle? In the original trilogy I never really used the attacks anyways, unless it was throwing a barrel or one of the alternate animal attacks. I never used the roll/cartwheel/dixie hair spinning thin. I would just jump on/avoid enemies instead.

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
How big a deal is the waggle? In the original trilogy I never really used the attacks anyways, unless it was throwing a barrel or one of the alternate animal attacks. I never used the roll/cartwheel/dixie hair spinning thin. I would just jump on/avoid enemies instead.

I rolled and cartwheeled like crazy in the originals, and I had virtually no adjustment period.

Nabs

Son.Ralph.Funk said:

Roll is pretty big in this game. It's so much fun. I use it almost as much as I use jump.

agrajag

Banned
I don't know if Dixie is really necessary now, since Diddy's jet-pack does the exact same thing as Dixie's floating ability.

I said it before, but I really think they should've used music from all the games here. I think Retro's games deserve to stand on their own, and not in the shadow of the trilogy. Recycling old tunes in each subsequent game will give them a re-makey feeling. So, when DKCR2 comes out they will use music from DKC2? And when DKCR3 comes out, they'll have to use music from DKC3, which was much weaker than the first two games. That would be problematic.

Also, I hope they drop "Returns" from the title in the possible sequels, it's kind of tacky. How many times is DK going to "return?" Titles like that give games a dated feeling, kind of like all N64 games had a "64" in the title.

Things I'm hoping for in the sequels are more animal buddies and animal buddy specific levels, like Kevin Cow mentioned. Definitely squawks flying levels at the very least. An alternate control scheme for those that don't like the shake to roll. A little darker less cartoony atmosphere. I'd like the monkey sound effects to go back to the slightly more realistic monkey noises rather than the cartoony sound effects in DKCR. It's not that big of a deal, but Donkey's dying voice is really annoying, for example. I hope the game comes out for Wii2, so we can enjoy even more detailed high res environments. Though this game is absolutely beautiful, the occasional jaggies are an eyesore on my LCD. I hope they tighten up the controls a little. I find myself having to adjust my jumps in mid-air a lot more than in previous games. I find myself having trouble doing simple tasks like collecting all the bananas in a simple bonus stage, whereas I'd breeze through them if the apes moved like they did in DKC games. Sometimes I feel like I have to fight the game physics, but maybe that's just me. And last but not least, Kremlings and King K.Rool! And I hate when people say they like King K.Rool but not Kremlings, King K.Rool IS a Kremling!

jett

D-Member
Instro said:
Eh so far I've found the music to be just as good as stuff found in DKC. Yamamoto is a better composer anyway.

Well, when 90% of the music is made up of DKC rehashes that's not really hard to achieve. :p

Regarding Yamamoto, I noticed in the credits that he is only music supervisor, 4 other people are credited as composers of DKCR.

agrajag said:
Actually, never mind what I said. Dixie's ability is superior to the jet-pack, she can glide indefinitely.
I''d doubt that Dixie could lift DK and Rambi even for 1 sec though. Diddy is probably faster too, at least from what I remember of DKC2.

agrajag

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
I''d doubt that Dixie could lift DK and Rambi even for 1 sec though. Diddy is probably faster too, at least from what I remember of DKC2.

Well, Diddy's always been the best character in DKC.

Dixie is a fucking terrible character design and I hope she stays buried FOREVER.

dixiekong.jpg

Digusting and tacky all in one package. I really only like Cranky, Donkey, and ... Lanky. Something about an orangutan with a clown nose works for me, I dunno. he could probably lose the overalls.

Top Bottom