• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

agrajag

Banned
Threi said:
so you need all the KONG letters in a world, not the puzzle pieces to unlock the K levels.

didn't know that :lol

WTF?!? So what are the puzzle pieces for? And what are the time trials for, what do they unlock?

edit: I haven't gotten to a single K level yet, I'm playing the game in smallish doses and just trying to get to the end, then I'll go through it later and unlock all the bonus stuff.

Vanille

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Dixie is a fucking terrible character design and I hope she stays buried FOREVER.

Digusting and tacky all in one package. I really only like Cranky, Donkey, and ... Lanky. Something about an orangutan with a clown nose works for me, I dunno. he could probably lose the overalls.

Dixie is fine.

tinykong.jpg

THIS is disgusting and tacky all in one package.

So are we supposed to think that all the reptile statues are Kremling references or not? They don't look like any other character or enemy in the game so far.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Ugh, no shitty DK friends, especially in place of Donkey Kong like in the original sequels.
Except Donkey was the worst character in the original trilogy gameplay-wise... Kiddy seems similar at first but is actually faster, more limber and has more moves in his arsenal.

DKCR2 would really benefit from having Dixie, her helicopter hair was made for this reboot.

Kyleripman said:
So are we supposed to think that all the reptile statues are Kremling references or not? They don't look like any other character or enemy in the game so far.

Yepp. That's the idea.

Especially since Cranky criticizes the architecture of the ruins saying "they aren't ape-made." The Kongs apparently refitted everything with monkey aesthetics but the Kremlings were responsible for the ruins themselves.

Instro

jett said:
Well, when 90% of the music is made up of DKC rehashes that's not really hard to achieve. :p

Regarding Yamamoto, I noticed in the credits that he is only music supervisor, 4 other people are credited as composers of DKCR.

I know your joking but the remix songs seem pretty few and far between so far, its not like DKC had a big track list. The second bit is interesting though.

agrajag said:
I hope they drop "Returns" from the title in the possible sequels, it's kind of tacky. How many times is DK going to "return?"
The next game will be titled The Dark Kong.

And the one after that: The Dark Kong Rises.

ShockingAlberto said:
Was there ever even a point to Tiny?

She was exactly the same as Dixie!

None of the additions to DK64 made any sense.
Introducing new characters, nothing else. Diddy was in because he's a fan favorite.

agrajag

Banned
so wait a second, I just went back and checked and I got the K-O-N-G letters in every level in the beach world, but the secret level is still locked. What gives?

Threi

notag
no idea...i'm just going based on the fact that i unlocked 3-k without getting all of the puzzle pieces for any of the levels, but i got the KONG letters for all of them.

agrajag said:
so wait a second, I just went back and checked and I got the K-O-N-G letters in every level in the beach world, but the secret level is still locked. What gives?
You must have missed a level. Maybe forgot to buy the key at Cranky's shack?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
agrajag said:
Did you forget the locked level? Check the level summary screen.

Through World 5, and I'm very happy with DKCR.

Challenge - this one's already harder than NSMBWii and probably all but the bonus stages of DKC2.

Variety - while it doesn't have the same mix of vertical and side-scrolling as DKC2/3, it seems like every level is throwing new kinds of platforms, enemies, or timing tricks at you.

Dislikes:
Controls - Shake-to-roll is the first time I have EVER felt cause to complain about waggle. It's awkward and adds cheap difficulty in certain situations. There's no good reason shake couldn't have been mapped to a button (either on a classic controller or as the start of the "run" motion for the sideways wiimote). On the flip-side, I can't figure out why clinging to walls and (especially) vines requires a button. The only thing you're going to do from the "cling position" is pound and jump/drop off. That being the case, grabbing should be automatic for surfaces that support it. Having to hold an extra button for vine swinging is annoying. Also, the jump animation for vines and grassy walls is bullshit. It's a weird, lateral drift more than a leap.

Music - hardly noticeable except when it's a remix of old tunes.

Mixed feelings:
Art design - I love the animation and the collage of colors, but I think Retro did a poor job of making Donkey and Diddy "pop" against the backgrounds. My brother and I have suffered a lot of multiplayer deaths because we lost track of a character. The enemy design at least deserves some credit...except the Tiki tribe are pretty boring. Say what you will about googly eyes on animals and inanimate objects, Rare gave the Kremlings tons of personality by game 2. Also, I'm inclined to agree with everyone saying that the game doesn't achieve the distinct moods of different worlds in DKC2.

Overall, I want to say my ranking goes DKC2 > DKCR = DKC3 > DKC. But there are still three worlds and a bunch of bonus stages to explore.

RawkHawk2010 said:
Yepp. That's the idea.

Especially since Cranky criticizes the architecture of the ruins saying "they aren't ape-made." The Kongs apparently refitted everything with monkey aesthetics but the Kremlings were responsible for the ruins themselves.

I kind of like that. My only gripe with the game was that Retro seemed to be pretending that the Kremlings never existed, so even a semi-subtle reference feels more appropriate.

ShockingAlberto said:

They apparently didn't want to use any characters from DKC2 & 3 for whatever reason. Then they went and made clones of Dixie and Kiddy... and then they went directly against their word and included Wrinkly anyway. But they killed her.

So who the heck knows.

ruffles said:
Wow, and I thought I sucked at the game. :lol
lol I made it through World 5. Sorry for those that watched and wanted me to try and get more collectables. It was hard enough not to jump into a bottomless pit. :lol

upandaway

I was really surprised to see I got this today (expected Sunday) so I ended up playing up to World 7 (maybe? the
factory
). I played the levels that need keys too. Brace for big post because I have an opinion (omg omg omg).

I was kinda rushing through it. I only got all puzzle pieces in a single level. And I have no clue why. I'm not the kinda guy to rush through a level, at all.

Anyway, verdict. It's.. the same as Galaxy/2, I think. Some may take it as a good thing I guess.. I like it and it's good for a burst of fun, but nothing makes me want to come back to it. Someone's gonna send me death threats for saying this.
Be prepared because I'm only gonna say the bad things, but I like the game like I like Galaxy.

I replayed NSMB Wii 3 times complete at this point, and I don't think I'll return to this game until I've forgotten most of it.I'll explain why.
By the way it has NOTHING to do with the motion controls that I feared most. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Wiimote-Nunchuk is so fun to use I'm speechless. Much, much better than Wiimote-only, and better than the CC could allow.
Anyway:

1. The core of the game is a bit flawed, in that the roll jump can do a lot but it's not mandatory anywhere. Galaxy was the same with its backflip (and backflip-to-walljump-to-spinjump, or the longjump with Cloud Mario). It cheapens the platforming and I can't and won't stop myself from using it. Huge deal.

2. This one's for sure a lot will disagree with, but I think the levels move too much. The huge and detailed animations just go through me. Every step I take, something else happens around me. Similar to Galaxy here too, probably a reason why everyone here like it.
Also the enemies aren't very good. Either they're completely irrelevant or they're there to get an item. I very rarely got hurt by one, or it somehow intimidated me to miss a jump.

That's it, I just had to let it out. Like I said I think the game's great and a lot of fun. In the end, the fact it's similar to Galaxy in my mind is probably a good thing to everyone.

Side note: as far as difficulty goes, I don't think the standard game is that hard. I'm not really good at platformers but I had an above average performance with Galaxy 2 too, which is creepy. Well I'm not complaining! :lol

Roll jumps are mandatory for Time Trials and quite a few puzzle pieces, and is especially helpful in a handful of levels, like the spider one for example.

I love how detailed the world is, and I understand that things escape you; totally understable.

upandaway

Sgt.Pepper said:
Roll jumps are mandatory for Time Trials and quite a few puzzle pieces, and is especially helpful in a handful of levels, like the spider one for example.

I love how detailed the world is, and I understand that things escape you; totally understable.
Time trials and puzzle pieces are not mandatory though.

Got it. Played it. I'm at 7-boss right now. It's sooo hard. And I love it. There's a particular level in 7
with the switching red/blue walls
that I particularly liked.

My mother and I have been playing it back and forth, passing off the controller.

Question. For all of the K stages, is the unlock condition to obtain all of the Kong pieces? So far, I've only unlocked 1-K and 3-K. Those stages are really fun...

I sorta hate to compare it to New SMB Wii, but DKC:R is much better, for two reasons. 1, sometimes New SMB Wii has a cool idea (like the bone coaster) and you think "Wow, that idea wasn't exploited enough" but DKC never gives that feeling. 2, DKC levels are much more fun to replay over and over.

.la1n

upandaway said:
I was really surprised to see I got this today (expected Sunday) so I ended up playing up to World 7 (maybe? the
factory
). I played the levels that need keys too. Brace for big post because I have an opinion (omg omg omg).

I was kinda rushing through it. I only got all puzzle pieces in a single level. And I have no clue why. I'm not the kinda guy to rush through a level, at all.

Anyway, verdict. It's.. the same as Galaxy/2, I think. Some may take it as a good thing I guess.. I like it and it's good for a burst of fun, but nothing makes me want to come back to it. Someone's gonna send me death threats for saying this.
Be prepared because I'm only gonna say the bad things, but I like the game like I like Galaxy.

I replayed NSMB Wii 3 times complete at this point, and I don't think I'll return to this game until I've forgotten most of it.I'll explain why.
By the way it has NOTHING to do with the motion controls that I feared most. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Wiimote-Nunchuk is so fun to use I'm speechless. Much, much better than Wiimote-only, and better than the CC could allow.
Anyway:

1. The core of the game is a bit flawed, in that the roll jump can do a lot but it's not mandatory anywhere. Galaxy was the same with its backflip (and backflip-to-walljump-to-spinjump, or the longjump with Cloud Mario). It cheapens the platforming and I can't and won't stop myself from using it. Huge deal.

2. This one's for sure a lot will disagree with, but I think the levels move too much. The huge and detailed animations just go through me. Every step I take, something else happens around me. Similar to Galaxy here too, probably a reason why everyone here like it.
Also the enemies aren't very good. Either they're completely irrelevant or they're there to get an item. I very rarely got hurt by one, or it somehow intimidated me to miss a jump.

That's it, I just had to let it out. Like I said I think the game's great and a lot of fun. In the end, the fact it's similar to Galaxy in my mind is probably a good thing to everyone.

Side note: as far as difficulty goes, I don't think the standard game is that hard. I'm not really good at platformers but I had an above average performance with Galaxy 2 too, which is creepy. Well I'm not complaining! :lol

I actually can see where you are coming from and agree for the most part except I wouldn't be able to play NSMBWii more than once, it was a great ride but not one I care to do over and over like SMB3 or SMW. That same rule applies to Galaxy/2. Maybe I just need to take a break from gaming for awhile period.

upandaway said:
Time trials and puzzle pieces are not mandatory though.
if you're going for 100% (or more), it is. But I understand where you're coming from, I still use roll jump all the time in the main game.

On the other hand, fuck you 5-K. Fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Sgt.Pepper said:
if you're going for 100% (or more), it is. But I understand where you're coming from, I still use roll jump all the time in the main game.

On the other hand, fuck you 5-K. Fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'm pretty sure time trials and puzzle pieces don't add anything to the percentage total. Just KONG letters and
Mirror Mode.

D-Pad

Are the gold keys obtainable any other way besides the shop? I bought it twice, and each time Cranky says something about me taking the easy way out...

Beat the final boss. So good, now I'm moving for 100% :D

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Dixie is a fucking terrible character design and I hope she stays buried FOREVER.

dixiekong.jpg

Digusting and tacky all in one package. I really only like Cranky, Donkey, and ... Lanky. Something about an orangutan with a clown nose works for me, I dunno. he could probably lose the overalls.
What? I don't see anything tacky or disgusting bout her.

ismaboof

Just started World 6 and I'm starting to really hate the waggle roll. I don't mind hard games, but when I'm dying half the time because I didn't flick my wrist hard enough, I'm not impressed.

KevinCow

Banned
Neiteio said:
When it comes to DKCR2, I think they should add Dixie, but add Funky as well, using his bandana/muscle shirt/shorts version as seen in Donkey Konga 3 (Japan-only) and Mario Kart Wii (hidden character). It's not "too '90s," and Funky could be a functional Donkey clone, meaning that in four-player, players could pair up for tough spots, or in two-player, each player could control two characters (and in three-player, one player can control up to two charactes, while the other two players each control one). Again, DK and Funky would function the same, and either could be mixed and matched with Diddy and Dixie for unique "power-ups" (i.e. rocket barrels with Diddy, ponytail twirl with Dixie). This would work great, but seeing how tough two-player co-op can be in this game, the levels would have to be especially brilliant in their design to comfortably accomodate four...

When it comes to animal buddies, I think a sequel should focus on Enguarde the swordfish, who is probably the most famous animal buddy after Rambi. Of course, this would mean bringing back underwater levels. If they can find a way to make underwater levels fast and fun, I'm all for it, as it'd be a huge addition and add a whole new dimension of gameplay and abundant opportunity for creative design.

Squitter would also be a delightful addition, spinning midair web platforms and firing web bullets. Perhaps he could even have a new ability in the form of scaling walls and ceilings for upside-down platforming? Any of these powers would handily distinguish him from Rambi.

The other key ingredients for a DKCR2? A snow world -- we need to have a snow world in the sequel -- and KREMLINGS! Bring back K. Rool and his cohorts, and maybe even have a world or two where they're pirate-themed, maybe with a mid-game encounter with K. Rool in his Kaptain form (like encountering Kaos halfway through DKC3). Lay the dark, moody atmosphere on thick -- perhaps a trip to the Kremling homeland is in order? -- and maybe have Yamamoto and Wise collaborate on a track, this time with some authentic orchestral/choir backing.

And online co-op multiplayer with WiiSpeak/Headbanger headset support. Yesss...

That's a good point that Funky and Dixie could basically serve as a second player's DK and Diddy. I'd like to see that. The rest of the post is pretty good, too.

ShockingAlberto said:

I remember hearing that they basically didn't want to use characters who originated in DKC2 and 3 for some reason or another. Though I don't see how creating new worse characters with the same abilities as Dixie and Chunky was seen as a better alternative. And then they violated that when they included Wrinkly anyway. So I dunno.

Top Bottom