• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

ismaboof said:
Just started World 6 and I'm starting to really hate the waggle roll. I don't mind hard games, but when I'm dying half the time because I didn't flick my wrist hard enough, I'm not impressed.
Check the sensibility of you wiimote? I do a quick wrist movement and it works all the time; no problems with the wiimote so far.

fireside

So how are you supposed to get more than one “hit” on the little tiki guys inside the boss characters? I got more than one once, but I can’t seem to do it again. I’m using the remote held sideways (if that matters).

agrajag

Banned
fireside said:
So how are you supposed to get more than one “hit” on the little tiki guys inside the boss characters? I got more than one once, but I can’t seem to do it again. I’m using the remote held sideways (if that matters).

shake the controller

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just beat the first world. Game is pretty fricken fun. Some of the physics need a little bit of getting used to, but overall pretty dang good so far. Very pretty too. Not SMG good looking imo, but pretty nice nonetheless.

I think I'm actually even enjoying it a little bit more than NSMBW. :O

fireside

Relix said:
This... BUT... wait for a bit for the hit counter to appear. If you do it beforehand just as you jump it will only count 1.
Oh, I was definitely not waiting. Do the hits even mean anything?

Had a few guests over today and was sitting on 40 lives before handing out the motes. I come back to find world 4 completed and down to 2 lives. :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, this game is pretty damn difficult too. Took me a good while to beat that stupid first boss.

loosus

Banned
Haven't spent much time with the game (I don't own it myself), but...

The surprising: the waggle isn't as bad as feared. It would have been better with a button, but at least it's not completely broken.

Weird complaint: there is too much shit going on in the game. It's like playing Smash Bros., and in a negative way. Literally, I sometimes lose track of where my damn character is on the screen.

Neiteio

So, has everyone spotted the classic Nintendo character who makes a cameo appearance in the background of Foggy Fumes (Stage 7-1)? SPOILERS:
It's Mr. Game & Watch, and he can be seen hammering some pipes at 0:27.
There's also a reference to arcade Donkey Kong at the very beginning...

Such a brilliant stage. The novel use of smog for silhouettes, as well as platforming in the background and the sheer amount of detail in said background (girders, smokestacks, fans, brickwork, pipework, clockwork, etc), all make for a compelling intro to the Factory. One of my faves!

agrajag

Banned
loosus said:
Haven't spent much time with the game (I don't own it myself), but...

The surprising: the waggle isn't as bad as feared. It would have been better with a button, but at least it's not completely broken.

Weird complaint: there is too much shit going on in the game. It's like playing Smash Bros., and in a negative way. Literally, I sometimes lose track of where my damn character is on the screen.

For some reason I lose track of barrels, sometimes. They kind of blend in with the environments.

Just got to the factory levels. Really like the little details in the silhouette level, like Mr. Game & Watch working on the pipes, as well as the tribute to the original Donkey Kong game with the entire level all messed up in the background. Also, it's a little fun to see Donkey Kong sitting down and playing a DS and then throwing it away. Love the game.

Socreges

Banned
decoyplatypus said:
On the flip-side, I can't figure out why clinging to walls and (especially) vines requires a button. The only thing you're going to do from the "cling position" is pound and jump/drop off. That being the case, grabbing should be automatic for surfaces that support it. Having to hold an extra button for vine swinging is annoying.
I completely disagree. Having to hold the button, versus it being automatic, certainly adds something to the experience. Especially when you're constantly shifting from clinging and not-clinging.

Socreges

Banned
Jeff Stephen said:
Had a few guests over today and was sitting on 40 lives before handing out the motes. I come back to find world 4 completed and down to 2 lives. :lol
Quit, copy your game, and restart. That's what I did. Keeps the experience fresh for me while still allowing friends to jump in.

KevinCow

Banned
MindCollizion said:
Just got to the factory levels. Really like the little details in the silhouette level, like Mr. Game & Watch working on the pipes, as well as the tribute to the original Donkey Kong game with the entire level all messed up in the background. Also, it's a little fun to see Donkey Kong sitting down and playing a DS and then throwing it away. Love the game.

Ha, I didn't notice Game & Watch or the first level of DK in the background. Just replayed and saw them. Cool touches.

What's this about DK playing a DS, though?

KevinCow said:
Ha, I didn't notice Game & Watch or the first level of DK in the background. Just replayed and saw them. Cool touches.

What's this about DK playing a DS, though?
If you don't move the controller at all it's one of his idle animations.

I have to say that while the game is very well made, the "shake to do action x" deal has not worked out at all for me. Much too much shaking going on when I just want to play through a level. i think this is the first Wii game I've played where waggle has actually been an issue.

I think the reason that waggle worked in Galaxy was that it served one specific purpose--the spin. That was more or less it for the core gameplay. In DKCR, though, it is used for several actions--rolling, blowing, and pounding. This really hasn't worked for me--the tactile feel of the Galaxy games is gone in this one. I actually had to stop playing because I did not have as much control over DK as I would have liked.

And when people say rolling isn't necessary, all I've got to say is that rolling and then jumping offers the smoothest gameplay by far (or SHOULD offer the smoothest). There is a certain flow that comes with doing that, and it's great--it's just too bad that such fluid control had to be (in my experience) limited because of waggle controls that were pretty obviously forced into the game by higher ups at Ninty.

If only they could patch a CC option...

Okay, I beat it, sans all the Kong letters and puzzle pieces. It's great. Plus, there's plenty of incentive to keep playing after you beat it.

I think this could very well be my GOTY.

My biggest complaint about the game is, it was almost... too hard. If I don't feel like I do a little bit better each time, I will start to get annoyed. There as one level in World 6 (Cliff)
with spiked balls rolling around
which I ended up going nowhere fast for a while, and I started to get annoyed. It would have helped sooo much if they had Diddy after the last checkpoint.

Another big complaint is the rocket barrel driving levels. One hit kill with that level of precision is not fun. I'm okay with one hit kills on the cart levels, but not for the rockets.

Last complaint is the "waggle". Not too bad for regular use, but it did cost me a few lives, and isn't so good for speedrunning. (Tried it sideways style.)

To be fair, there's the Super Guide, but I didn't want to use it. At least it's there, though.

So how did the co-op turn out in this game?

Obviously I'll do a single playthrough, but a friend of mine is pretty hyped for it too so would be good to complete the game on co-op.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
8-3, holy shit. I must've lost 30 balloons on that level alone. You need all the lives you can get from world 6 and onwards.

upandaway

Beat the game. The final world was not as good as the mid-game worlds, but still pretty fun.

_Alkaline_ said:

Obviously I'll do a single playthrough, but a friend of mine is pretty hyped for it too so would be good to complete the game on co-op.
Somehow I enjoyed single player more. I had a friend over and we were both excited to play it but at the beginning of world 2 it was pretty obvious we would rather each play by himself. We played the entirety of NSMBW together.

NotWii

Banned
Game is perfect except
- Music
- No Kremlings or Bees
- Too damn easy, should only be one heart for DK, and 2 hearts if you got Diddy with you

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Wii said:
Game is perfect except
- Music
- No Kremlings or Bees
- Too damn easy, should only be one heart for DK, and 2 hearts if you got Diddy with you
Regarding the difficulty, you're probably just really good at platformers but there is always
Mirror mode, which should be perfect for you. Enjoy.

agrajag

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
I have to say that while the game is very well made, the "shake to do action x" deal has not worked out at all for me. Much too much shaking going on when I just want to play through a level. i think this is the first Wii game I've played where waggle has actually been an issue.

I think the reason that waggle worked in Galaxy was that it served one specific purpose--the spin. That was more or less it for the core gameplay. In DKCR, though, it is used for several actions--rolling, blowing, and pounding. This really hasn't worked for me--the tactile feel of the Galaxy games is gone in this one. I actually had to stop playing because I did not have as much control over DK as I would have liked.

And when people say rolling isn't necessary, all I've got to say is that rolling and then jumping offers the smoothest gameplay by far (or SHOULD offer the smoothest). There is a certain flow that comes with doing that, and it's great--it's just too bad that such fluid control had to be (in my experience) limited because of waggle controls that were pretty obviously forced into the game by higher ups at Ninty.

If only they could patch a CC option...

You can't spam roll-jump in this game as much anyway, because they greatly increased the length of the jump. At times a roll jump will send you to your doom and disrupt the flow when you have to re-adjust the jump in mid-air.

Emitan

I just unlocked 1-K and I thought it looked easy from the videos. I keep getting to the point where you have to bounce off of a drum enemy over some spikes onto another enemy. The problem is for some reason I can never do the high bounce off of the first enemy even though I do it consistently off of every other enemy in the level. But you get so many coins earlier in the stage that loosing all my lives is a non issue.

GWX

I tried 1-K this morning more than 30 fucking times, and I couldn't beat it. I rage quit.
After lunch, I played some stages of the fifth world (the one I'm at), and then I came back.

I beat it in my first try.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Billychu said:
I just unlocked 1-K and I thought it looked easy from the videos. I keep getting to the point where you have to bounce off of a drum enemy over some spikes onto another enemy. The problem is for some reason I can never do the high bounce off of the first enemy even though I do it consistently off of every other enemy in the level.
I had this problem, too. I have no idea why it's harder to bounce off of some drums...

It isn't impossible, though. I've done it, but it felt like luck.

Emitan

Why would you do that? said:
I had this problem, too. I have no idea why it's harder to bounce off of some drums...

The weird thing is that I have no problems high bouncing with Diddy. It was only an issue in the first 2 levels. But I still can't make this easy jump.

KrawlMan

Just finished the game and unlocked
mirror mode. :D Not sure I'll bother playing through mirrored anytime soon. Id rather just get all the puzzle pieces I missed.

Why would you do that? said:

If I'm remembering correctly you are dropping from a higher position onto the first drum that requires a bounce so the window for hitting the high bounce comes and goes pretty quick. Not only that, but I tended to lose whatever groove I was in whenever I approached that drum because I tensed up knowing how many times I died there before. After around 30 attempts at that level I had it down pretty well, but up until that point it felt impossible.

KrawlMan said:
f I'm remembering correctly you are dropping from a higher position onto the first drum that requires a bounce so the window for hitting the high bounce comes and goes pretty quick. Not only that, but I tended to lose whatever groove I was in whenever I approached that drum because I tensed up knowing how many times I died there before. After around 30 attempts at that level I had it down pretty well, but up until that point it felt impossible.
Thanks for that analysis! I'll try that later.

upandaway said:
That's bullshit and you know it.
Well, I think he's sort of right. Those K levels are what I'm looking forward to the most.

Emitan

Kyleripman said:
Well, the Kong letters do unlock several of the hardest levels.
Yes. Puzzle pieces as far as I know just unlock extras. but if you don't get all the KONG letters, you haven't even beaten all the levels yet.

desu

It seems the geckocodes for Classic Controller Support are almost reality now!

crediar and thomas83lin seem to have worked it out (can't tell if it really works already) on the gecko forums. We should find out soon.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
desu said:
It seems the geckocodes for Classic Controller Support are almost reality now!

crediar and thomas83lin seem to have worked it out (can't tell if it really works already) on the gecko forums. We should find out soon.
I've just beaten the second boss but will wait to play more until I can use CC.

hatchx

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:

It's not like NSMB where you can just frolic through the game with small children or your wife.

Co-op is a challenge. I play with my friend who has the game too, and we are both skilled 2D platformers. We do a fine job. There are times (usually when there are breaking platforms) where it just makes more sense for Diddy to jump on DKs back.

I like it, but the game is clearly designed around one-player.

entremet

Dexa said:
played the game today ... definitely like the old titles much more.
What do you prefer from the older titles? I do agree with the major sentiments that the music is better in the SNES titles, but in level design and variety DKCR bests SNES incarnations handily.

Top Bottom