• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Jasoco

Banned
Lijik said:
Set your expectations to low, and maybe you'll like it.
I did, but it could have been a hell of a lot better.

If you want AA remixes though, DKC3 GBA has you covered. I think its remixed like three times in that version.

EDIT The superior Aquatic Ambiance remix in DKC3 gba
I actually prefer the DKCR version. Sorry, guys, but Wise isn't "God". And that remix is just bland and not the same as the original.

Also, the music in the GBA port of DKC3 is terrible compared to the original SNES versions. And the main reason it's the only DKC game I don't own on the GBA.

The Aquatic Ambience remix in DKCR is great for the level it's in. I love it. And the level itself too. Reminds me of those interesting levels from the NSMB games, like the one with the giant Wiggler that you ride on.

Jasoco said:
Also, the music in the GBA port of DKC3 is terrible compared to the original SNES versions.

God, I hate the GBA soundtrack to DKC3. Completely ruins the whole mood the original game was going for. Not to mention that Baron K. Roolenstein didn't even get his own song.

Love it! Love it! LOVE IT! I’m up to the Caves and this is everything I had hoped for and more! Fantastic stuff! :D

Everything just flows supremely and it’s just plain fun! Hell I don’t even have a problem with the motion controls!

Socreges

Banned
Wise may not be God, but he's definitely a superior composer and the music in DKCR suffers for his absence.

The music in the silhouette levels, though, is really sweet. The visual style + music is so chilled. I actually noticed that I'm much, much more relaxed during those levels.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I saw the credits and Kenji Yamamoto was only credited as a the music supervisor while 4 others were credited for the music it-self. Makes me wonder exactly what music he did for this game. I wish Nintendo did regular soundtrack releases for their games detailing things like this.

Threi

notag
The Life in the Mines remix in this game is definitely better than the original, and one of the best pieces of music in the entire franchise.

Just finished the first three levels.

Oh my fucking god.

The amount of detail in every single pore of this game is phenomenal. It's more than just a platformer. It's filled to the absolute brim with environmental puzzles and it's all the better for it.

And god damn is it beautiful. 60fps and art design are the two most important things for visuals and Retro nailed both. Of course, we wouldn't expect anything else from these guys, but they still deserve credit for what they've created here.

And the animation. golf-fucking-ham.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Almost done with the first world. Thoughts:

- Love the graphics. Everything melds together very well. Not having any issues with the levels being too busy, but perhaps I'm not far enough into the game just yet?
- The music... well, it isn't all that bad, but it's far from memorable. This game definitely needed Wise. The music accompanying the silhouette level is the only track I'd consider good thus far.
- The special "K" level was frustrating yet fun at the same time. I must've died at least 20 or so times, and I came out of the level with more than 100 additional Banana Coins. :lol Not looking forward to Time Attack mode on it, though. Speaking of...
- ...Time Attack is a cunt.
- The mine cart level was great. Not a fan of the fact you're completely screwed if you get hit once, though.
- The lack of Kremlings doesn't bother me.
- It took me a good half-hour or so to successfully complete the second bonus stage in the level in which you first meet Rambi. I kept royally stuffing it up over and over. I am ashamed of this.

I am so glad console platformers have ditched hub worlds. Galaxy 2, Colours, DKCR etc all have very similar level selection screens and it's the absolute way to go. All three of the above franchises were made worse by hub worlds.

I also like how the music/sound becomes softer when zooming out in the map. The little touches in this game are crazy. Retro have no bounds to the level of detail they put in their games.

AniHawk

So I just KONGed W1. 1-K wasn't too bad until I tried getting all puzzle pieces. I can't time the hi-jump off enemies.

S'alright. Nothing's really screaming greatness at me yet (something that had happened in NSMBW at this point), but it's not bad.

I do love how much smoother Donkey Kong moves now versus his 1994 counterpart. That and throwing barrels is a lot nicer.

High jumping off enemies seems to require pressing jump again midair and having it held whenever you actually hit the following enemy. Most of the time it's not a big deal, but when you have to switch between low and high jumps off enemies lined up in a row like in 1-K it's a pain in the ass. I'd prefer if it just registered whenever you hold the button down. Adding an extra step feels convoluted imo.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'd prefer if it just registered whenever you hold the button down. Adding an extra step feels convoluted imo.

Yeah it is convoluted. Actually, I thought what I had to do was press it just before jumping on an enemy. No wonder it wasn't working.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
AniHawk said:
Yeah it is convoluted. Actually, I thought what I had to do was press it just before jumping on an enemy. No wonder it wasn't working.
Pretty sure that's what I was doing... worked for me.

AniHawk said:
Dan said:
Pretty sure that's what I was doing... worked for me.
As long as you're holding/tapping as you hit the enemy it works. Before or after won't work as far as I can tell. Either way you have to release jump and press it again between each enemy.

Oxx

Hmm... Do I really want that free copy of DKCR?

Of course it wouldn't be free because I'd have to buy a train ticket and a bunch of bananas...

AniHawk

K' Dash said:
I bought a Wii to play this.

Can't wait.

I bought an Xbox just to play Ninja Gaiden, and then I never opened the game and six years later, I never played it. I did get KOTOR that same day though, and loved the hell out of it. When I bought a 360, it was mostly for Bioshock, and that game wasn't good, but thankfully The Orange Box was around the corner and it turned out to be the best game ever.

What I'm trying to say is, play NyxQuest instead.

giggas

Probably covered in here, but I guess the time trials and puzzle pieces don't count towards 100%'ing the game? I'm at 90% completion and I've only gotten a gold medal on one stage. I guess the puzzle pieces and gold medal's are only for artwork and such? Still, feel compelled to get everything (maybe not the time trials) because I'm really loving the hell out of this game.

BTW 5-K is nearly impossible. Must have died over 50 times getting through that one.

giggas said:
Probably covered in here, but I guess the time trials and puzzle pieces don't count towards 100%'ing the game? I'm at 90% completion and I've only gotten a gold medal on one stage. I guess the puzzle pieces and gold medal's are only for artwork and such? Still, feel compelled to get everything (maybe not the time trials) because I'm really loving the hell out of this game.
The final total is 200%, so you still have quite a ways to go

giggas

Emonga said:
The final total is 200%, so you still have quite a ways to go

My eyes popped out of my head when reading that. Doubt I'll ever hit 200% but I'd love to.

If only it were back in the day like when the original DKC games came out... then I would surely have the time and motivation to 200% it.

Also, I agree that the music in this game isn't as good as the original stuff. I listened to the original tracks and new stuff side by side and I generally liked what Wise did on the SNES more. And all of the brand new tracks for the game that aren't remixes blow. :/

This game ... oh man.

I had a blast playing it. The Wii is hitting it hard with a lot of good games.

The nostalgia, I swear. I never owned a SNES, but I had the original BRICK SIZED Gameboys and played Donkey Kong Land 1 and 2. I remember going through the cart level in Returns and it bringing me back to the old days of having a hard time on the cart levels on those games. My sister, who was Co-Op'd with me at the time was at the edge of her seat during the whole ordeal (even if she was not controlling ...). It was hilarious. Retro did a good job with this game; I almost thought that we wouldn't have a platforming Donkey Kong release ever again. Thank you for this great game, but now I have to juggle Sonic Colors, Epic Yarn and I'll get Epic Mickey too. Damn it, Wii -- when did you become my favorite console? If it wasn't for Super Street Fighter IV, the 360 would be totally ignored. :lol

jett

D-Member
manueldelalas said:
In all fairness, the music of the first DKC sucked a lot; there are two or three songs that are good, but all the other are forgotten very fast. I have the music CD to prove anyone disagreeing wrong.

Hell fucking no! DKC1's soundtrack is classic, and David Wise >> the people that worked on DKCR's music.

BTW... this is the best Aquatic Ambience arrangement I've heard.

spliced

GrotesqueBeauty said:
High jumping off enemies seems to require pressing jump again midair and having it held whenever you actually hit the following enemy. Most of the time it's not a big deal, but when you have to switch between low and high jumps off enemies lined up in a row like in 1-K it's a pain in the ass. I'd prefer if it just registered whenever you hold the button down. Adding an extra step feels convoluted imo.

Oh man I hate this. I didn't even know you could high jump off enemies at first because I would hold jump out of habit but nothing was happening. I also find it harder with Diddy on my back with his jet pack throwing my timing off.

spliced said:
Oh man I hate this. I didn't even know you could high jump off enemies at first because I would hold jump out of habit but nothing was happening. I also find it harder with Diddy on my back with his jet pack throwing my timing off.
Then just ditch Diddy.

Some people just whine about everything.

rhino4evr

Emonga said:
Then just ditch Diddy.

Some people just whine about everything.
I have stopped picking up Diddy as he completely ruins my timing with his shitty ass jet pack. He causes more deaths and damage then his jet pack helps.

Which is funny because in the original DKC..I would ditch Donkey kong because I preferred Diddy's cartwheel and overall speed.

GrotesqueBeauty said:

I was wondering why high jumping off enemies has been so inconsistent. Wonder why they went with this.

Wow... The polish of this game is something else. Every single component has been amazing so far. Not a big fan of SMG2 but this hits all the right spots.

Nabs

Just tap the jump button right before impact and the jet pack shouldn't even be triggered. I haven't had a single issue with the way it's programmed.

Top Bottom