• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Emitan

Nabs said:
Just tap the jump button right before impact and the jet pack shouldn't even be triggered. I haven't had a single issue with the way it's programmed.
I only have problems with screwing it up will kill me :/

Jasoco

Banned
AniHawk said:
So I just KONGed W1. 1-K wasn't too bad until I tried getting all puzzle pieces. I can't time the hi-jump off enemies.
Well, the good thing about puzzle pieces is you can sacrifice yourself to get one and not worry about it again as long as you get to the end of the level eventually. It was the only way I could get those out of the way pieces in that level.

Herbspicesoy said:
I was wondering why high jumping off enemies has been so inconsistent. Wonder why they went with this.
It took me forever to get the O in that level with the Billy Mitchell Monkey entrance because I couldn't time the high jump off the stilt bird's head.

Now I have all but two K levels. (One because I haven't finished world 8 yet.)

BTW, I am so glad they used the silhouette style in three levels. It's so good and the levels feel so peaceful and stylistic.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
TheOddOne said:
I'm struggling to roll... am I doing something wrong?

Are you shaking both controllers (assuming your using the nun-chuck configuration)?

Edit: also, donkey kong can't roll continuously unless he has diddy with him

TheOddOne

Pinzer said:
Are you shaking both controllers (assuming your using the nun-chuck configuration)?

Yeah, but still works once in a while.

Emitan

Pinzer said:

You only need to shake one.

Ranger X

You guys have problems bouncing?

Here's some tips and how it works:

- Unlike Mario when you can press and hold the jump button once and then bounce on multiple ennemis, here you need to press the button before EACH ennemi.

- The timing for boucing on the ennemis is not the same timing as the one for bouncing on things. (you know, like tires and other physical stuff like that). The window time for the ennemies is easy, just press and hold the button before landing on them. However, with the tires and stuff, you need to press right before touching it. The window is much smaller than for the ennemies.

Jasoco

Banned
Lathentar said:
With the nunchuck the detection is an up and down motion.
Yeah. If you use the nunchuck, only shaking one of them does a weaker slower pound. Switching to the Wiimote only does the same as both of them at once and is MUCH FASTER.

Emitan

Jasoco said:
Yeah. If you use the nunchuck, only shaking one of them does a weaker slower pound. Switching to the Wiimote only does the same as both of them at once and is MUCH FASTER.
I thought we were talking about rolling.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I was really starting to wonder why everyone is talking about the difficulty of this game. Sure, it's no Epic Yarn (lol) and I'll even give you the pleasure of knowing that going through this game is tougher then say.... NSMB Wii, but DKCR is nothing to totally throw the controller at the screen about.

Of course that was until I started playing the Special K levels. WOW... for the first of 8.... that was pretty darn tough. Must of died over 15 times. But it didn't feel cheap at all... just pure difficult platforming fun. :D

Anyways, amazing game! Bravo Retro! You've revived another Nintendo francise better then even Nintendo did it (Donkey Kong Country Returns > Donkey Kong Jungle Beat ; Metroid Prime >>> Metroid: Other M)!

Not yet sure though if it is better then NSMB Wii (Multi-Player NSMB is out-of-this-world), but I could easily see me caring about collecting all the KONG letters and beating all the SK levels on DKCR much more then I did with NSMB Wii.

TheOddOne

[Nintex] said:
Iwata Asks on this game
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/donkey-kong-country-returns/vol1_page1.jsp

Very interesting read about how they made the game and how it finally came together just after E3. Seems like there was a lot of pressure on the team. Also Tanabe once went to the really nice offices in Twycross and Iwata loves the music of DKC so he has it on his iPod. They also talk about the Retro Studios 'incident' briefly.
The guys that made this game are new? Looking at the game you would not expect that.

[Nintex]

TheOddOne said:
The guys that made this game are new? Looking at the game you would not expect that.
Wikan has been at retro since the start, Tom Ivey and Kynan Pearson were brought in to work on Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. They moved up the ladder at Retro and had to replace the likes of design director Mark Pacini, art director Todd Keller, and principle technology engineer Jack Mathews. It was never quite clear why they left but one of them posted a message on some forum saying: "If you want creative freedom don't work for Nintendo" or something like that but it was removed shortly after the news went live.

flak57

Ranger X said:

- Unlike Mario when you can press and hold the jump button once and then bounce on multiple ennemis, here you need to press the button before EACH ennemi.

- The timing for boucing on the ennemis is not the same timing as the one for bouncing on things. (you know, like tires and other physical stuff like that). The window time for the ennemies is easy, just press and hold the button before landing on them. However, with the tires and stuff, you need to press right before touching it. The window is much smaller than for the ennemies.
Haven't played it yet, but that sounds identical to the other DKC games.

TheExodu5

Banned
flak57 said:
Nope, only for enemies. Croc heads and tires required timed presses.

Oh yeah...didn't read the second half of the post. Enemies behave differently now though, since you need one button press for each bounce. That threw me off a bit after having just played DKC2.

TheOddOne

[Nintex] said:
Wikan has been at retro since the start, Tom Ivey and Kynan Pearson were brought in to work on Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. They moved up the ladder at Retro and had to replace the likes of design director Mark Pacini, art director Todd Keller, and principle technology engineer Jack Mathews. It was never quite clear why they left but one of them posted a message on some forum saying: "If you want creative freedom don't work for Nintendo" or something like that but it was removed shortly after the news went live.
Went digging around on the net and found out they opened up a new studio: armaturestudio.

Seems they have a deal with EA.

flak57

TheExodu5 said:
Oh yeah...didn't read the second half of the post. Enemies behave differently now though, since you need one button press for each bounce. That threw me off a bit after having just played DKC2.
I only read the second half :lol

KAL2006

Banned
[Nintex] said:

Interesting, I wonder what their unanounced game is going to be

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Got the game today as an early present to myself :D

So far I like it, but I kinda had to force myself to like it in the beginning because it strays from away from the DKC world so much and I kinda had that mindset before I dove into it. I actually think for this reason they shouldn't have kept some of the music (I'm talking about the level 2 music) pretty much intact because the game itself doesn't shine in the way DKC did (the whole atmospheric feel) and kinda feels outta place. Looking at it from a whole new game POV however it is classic. Feels like a straight up 2D platformer from today. The whole LBP style grab designing is also tight. Rolling is still a bit questionable but I got used to it, also glad they kept roll-jump combo in with the original as this was easily one of the best points in the classics. And I also kinda dislike how they downplayed Diddy :lol

I'm up to the Cliffs and it continues to blow me away....a platformer has never been this alive! The amount of detail and care that went into this is staggering!

The feel and weight of Donkey Kong is absolute perfection! The game gives you so many reasons to love it! Also, this easily has the best graphics on the Wii!

TheOddOne said:
I'm struggling to roll... am I doing something wrong?

DKCRrolling.jpg

K' Dash

AniHawk said:
I bought an Xbox just to play Ninja Gaiden, and then I never opened the game and six years later, I never played it. I did get KOTOR that same day though, and loved the hell out of it. When I bought a 360, it was mostly for Bioshock, and that game wasn't good, but thankfully The Orange Box was around the corner and it turned out to be the best game ever.

What I'm trying to say is, play NyxQuest instead.

Well, DCKR pushed me, I want to play like 15 games, after that, we'll see what happens...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Cow Mengde said:
This is like the first time Iwata interviews people who aren't Japanese, isn't it? Pretty cool.
he interviews Spector(er?) back at E3

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ranger X said:

This is the problem that you seemed to have missed. People are saying if you do this the jet pack screws up their timing. For me I have no problems with it at all to be honest, the only problems I have are my controllers not always responding.

ezekial45 said:
Still haven't gotten the game, but does this game's music match up to the old SNES games?

This is split in here, but honestly I don't even see it as close. It's basically the same thing, only it sounds cheaper for some reason. Don't get me wrong I still like it alot, because it's basically the originals music, it's just not as good. I do really like the msic on the special levels with the different filters on, it's really relaxed, fits the atmosphere.

Rez said:
he interviews Spector(er?) back at E3

Hmm, I missed that one.

Anyway, very interesting to find out about people quitting Retro. Even without these people, they turned out an amazing game. It's like there's an eternal life force of talent in there that never depletes even as old ones leave.

The Hermit

I really fucking hate the controls in this game.
Playing the ultra responsive Super Meat Boy doesn't help at all.

I want to like DKCR, why is this so dificult? :(

Baiano19 said:

The controls are fine. What issues are you having?

Vanille

[Nintex] said:
It was never quite clear why they left but one of them posted a message on some forum saying: "If you want creative freedom don't work for Nintendo" or something like that but it was removed shortly after the news went live.

That's kinda sad to hear. Nintendo really needs to let Retro work on their own IP.

Kandinsky

Baiano19 said:

So sad that they went with those controls :/

udivision

Has anyone else noticed this?

The green jumping frogs, they're not hopping because they feel like it. If you look closely, you can see a fly buzzing around them. Also look at the frog's eyes as they stare it down. The frog is simply trying to jump and eat the fly. Not sure if it was obvious or not.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There's been a number of comparisons to Super Meat Boy at this point and its "super perfect controls", but one man's ceiling is another man's floor. SMB has great controls - for what it tries to do. That includes sticky, mushy wall jumping because your character literally slurps along surfaces. It has a significant learning curve and is frustrating until you figure out how to play "correctly".

Meanwhile, it seems some folks aren't giving DKCR the same leniency or benefit of a doubt, in learning how it plays. Instant revolt at "teh waggle" or now the Jetpack Issue.

Vanille

Kaijima said:
There's been a number of comparisons to Super Meat Boy at this point and its "super perfect controls", but one man's ceiling is another man's floor. SMB has great controls - for what it tries to do. That includes sticky, mushy wall jumping because your character literally slurps along surfaces. It has a significant learning curve and is frustrating until you figure out how to play "correctly".

Meanwhile, it seems some folks aren't giving DKCR the same leniency or benefit of a doubt, in learning how it plays. Instant revolt at "teh waggle" or now the Jetpack Issue.

But the motion controls don't add anything particulary new to the experience. Retro has just taken an old control scheme and made it unnecessarily convoluted, so it's understandable that people will be quick to complain.

Amir0x

Banned
Kaijima said:

What learning curve? The controls are as perfect as platforming controls get - I immediately understood and grasped the mechanics before the end of the third stage. By the end of the first WORLD, I was hitting top 100 times every time. I don't think anyone anywhere has ever said anything about but effusive praise for them.

It's difficult, but not because there's a big steep control learning curve. Because the levels are pure platforming brilliance, where challenge comes not in trial and error but simply exploiting your skill set to the tightest possible measure.

epmode

Vanille said:
But the motion controls don't add anything particulary new to the experience. Retro has just taken an old control scheme and made it unnecessarily convoluted, so it's understandable that people will be quick to complain.
I would be astounded to hear that it really was Retro's decision to forgo CC support. The whole thing reeks of Nintendo HQ.

Thank god for homebrew!

Nabs

epmode said:
I'm not seeing a problem at all with a classic controller. Lrn2ply IMO.
controls are perfect
once you map waggle to a button
buuuuut
waggle isn't a deal breaker like some are making it sound

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Vanille said:

Actually, at the risk of enraging Team Anti-Waggle, I was in this conversation with an offline friend a couple of days ago, and we realized this:

Using the nunchuk+wiimote scheme (which for shortness I'll call the Nunchuk scheme), your Wiimote fingers never leave the jump and grab buttons. Rolling doesn't require shifting fingers, but a wrist snap. Depending on your preferences, I've come to feel this is not a "convoluted" scheme, but a more efficient one. There's never any reflex finger confusion - period. The wrist snap, as with the spin in Mario Galaxy, can (and does, I would argue, if you don't struggle against it every step of the way) become entirely subconscious.

So, no, I can't agree that "teh waggle" is stupid, pointless, and shouldn't be there. Given that a large number of people have no problem with it, and more critically, a large number are ripping the game to shreds in time attack and having zero issue with a muscle memory gesture interface as it is used here, I'm kinda forced to remain skeptical of people who throw their hands up and assert the waggle is horrible, wrong, and breaks the game.

But this argument has been going on for the last four years, since day 1 with the Wii. Certain people will never accept that something like a wrist snap could or should replace a button press, even if, ironically, there's a legitimate possibility /that might work better/ depending on the application.

Bear in mind, I fully support multiple control configurations and there's no reason CC support shouldn't have been there for people who want everything on buttons, regardless of whether that's a better or worse way to play the game.

It's just a bit irritating that this game is being used as a cross bearer for "oh, save us from the waggle!", and that some people seem to be doing their best to convince themselves to hate perhaps the best 2D platformer since Yoshi's Island, over an issue blown out of proportion.

Top Bottom