• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Ranger X

msdstc said:
This is the problem that you seemed to have missed. People are saying if you do this the jet pack screws up their timing. For me I have no problems with it at all to be honest, the only problems I have are my controllers not always responding.

This is split in here, but honestly I don't even see it as close. It's basically the same thing, only it sounds cheaper for some reason. Don't get me wrong I still like it alot, because it's basically the originals music, it's just not as good. I do really like the msic on the special levels with the different filters on, it's really relaxed, fits the atmosphere.

With the jetpack it's indeed annoying. However, if you press riiiiiiight before hitting the ennemi, the jetpack won't turn on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Amir0x said:
What learning curve? The controls are as perfect as platforming controls get - I immediately understood and grasped the mechanics before the end of the third stage. By the end of the first WORLD, I was hitting top 100 times every time. I don't think anyone anywhere has ever said anything about but effusive praise for them.

It's difficult, but not because there's a big steep control learning curve. Because the levels are pure platforming brilliance, where challenge comes not in trial and error but simply exploiting your skill set to the tightest possible measure.

... and there's your example, thanks for providing it. You're on the opposite side of the Great Waggle Roll Debate (in principle, even if you haven't played DKCR) from people who have zero problem with DKCR's controls from word one, and cruise through shiny gold time attack medals. For you, SMB's controls clicked instantly. That is what it is like for a lot of people playing DKCR.

Note that I didn't say SMB's controls... are bad. Though grasping the mechanics /should/ be quick, because the game uses like two buttons, and has two mechanics: jumping and wall slurping.

But the controls have their own learning curve for some, regardless of your own experiences. The difference, in the case of SMB, is that most people are not moaning about it, and are practicing the game until it becomes second nature. I actually do suspect that this lack of resistance to learning the game is because it does use conventional controls - aka, face buttons on the gamepad.

Put people in front of DKCR however, and the moment a certain kind of person has to snap the wiimote, it is as if everything flies out their ears and "theeeee wwwwwaaaaaagggle!" hisses out of their lips via sheer, uncontrollable compulsion.

Plus, DKCR has it worse because it's being compared to the original SNES game; people have an extra excuse to reject the way it is designed, by falling back on "it's different so it sucks".

I guarantee you that if SMB was a sequel to an actual 8-bit Meatboy game that is fictionalized in its warp zones, you'd be seeing a virtual campaign to burn the designers in effigy over "ruining" how it plays, and people would have convinced themselves within five minutes it was the worst platformer of all time.

epmode

Kaijima said:
Actually, at the risk of enraging Team Anti-Waggle, I was in this conversation with an offline friend a couple of days ago, and we realized this:

Using the nunchuk+wiimote scheme (which for shortness I'll call the Nunchuk scheme), your Wiimote fingers never leave the jump and grab buttons. Rolling doesn't require shifting fingers
That's a good point. And it's why I like the CC scheme that maps waggle to the R trigger. No shifting at all.

L00P

The controls are fine, but that only goes for the nunchuck setup. It feels like those side-scrolling levels from Mario Galaxy. As much as I want to like the horizontal setup, it's just terrible no matter how you slice it. Shaking-to-roll is a legitimate complaint when using that setup. It's also hard to do a roll jump with it.

If you haven't tried the nunchuck setup, please do! You're just making it hard for yourself.

Threi

notag
nunchuk makes everything better.

(not getting into this debate again...it's pretty clear which "side" the BS comes from if you look at youtube vids of this game)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kaijima said:
But the controls have their own learning curve for some, regardless of your own experiences. The difference, in the case of SMB, is that most people are not moaning about it, and are practicing the game until it becomes second nature. I actually do suspect that this lack of resistance to learning the game is because it does use conventional controls - aka, face buttons on the gamepad.

The learning curve for SMB has absolutely nothing to do with getting used to the controls, as it does learning and understanding Meat Boy's momentum and feel. There is no way for SMB's controls to be any tighter than they are.

Amir0x

Banned
Kaijima said:
... and there's your example, thanks for providing it. You're on the opposite side of the Great Waggle Roll Debate (in principle, even if you haven't played DKCR) from people who have zero problem with DKCR's controls from word one, and cruise through shiny gold time attack medals. For you, SMB's controls clicked instantly. That is what it is like for a lot of people playing DKCR.

The thing people arguing about with the roll isn't even something I think is debatable, from the hands on I had at Comic-Con and my brother-in-laws house. If you roll, there is an APPRECIABLE delay between when you waggle and Donkey Kong actually rolls... it's something you have to adjust your entire play style to in order to really utilize the ability well. It's the lag of the ability alone that kills it, putting aside the fucking motion itself. Platforming controls need to be INSTANTANEOUS. That's why when you add in the time it takes to do the motion itself + built-in lag between when the motion is executed and the ability shoots off it is NOT acceptable. In Super Meat Boy, you press a button and your character INSTANTLY responds to the hundredth of a millisecond. There is no delay, neither for the process of waiting to perform a motion (DKCR requires a wider 'waggle' then some games for the game to recognize roll) or for the ability to click once the motion has been completed (there is a large delay). Merely because there are people who can adjust to that aspect of the controls and post gold scores does not validate that specific aspect of the controls as 'good', as it seems people are wanting to do here.

Do you know how many terrible games out there with god awful controls that have people who not only master them but do objectively impressive things considering the obscene limitations the games might present? I'm sure you can't even count it. It's got to be tens of thousands. The ability of some people out there to overcome shit controls != controls are suddenly OK.

With a button and the precise controls of something like SMB, it is always, always your fault when you lose.

Kaijima said:

Because the controls in SMB are perfect. The controls in DKCR are not.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
(DKCR requires a wider 'waggle' then some games for the game to recognize roll) or for the ability to click once the motion has been completed (there is a large delay)

While I think not having an option for button controlled rolls in DKCR was very stupid, I strongly disagree with both of these statements. While, yes, there is some lag simply due to the fact it is utilizing waggle over an instant digital input, I found the lag to be among the most resonsive on the system, and I hardly had to 'waggle' the controller to active the roll.

Its certainly no worse than the waggle to spin in Galaxy.

Amir0x

Banned
EatChildren said:
While I think not having an option for button controlled rolls in DKCR was very stupid, I strongly disagree with both of these statements. While, yes, there is some lag simply due to the fact it is utilizing waggle over an instant digital input, I found the lag to be among the most resonsive on the system, and I hardly had to 'waggle' the controller to active the roll.

Its certainly no worse than the waggle to spin in Galaxy.

Well, I'll have to take your word for it - I only played through like three levels, and I frequently would waggle and the fucking Donkey Kong would not roll. Before you say it, yes the analog was forward. And my brother-in-law complained of the same issue before I even started. And so did my sister.

I bet if you timed it, from the start of the waggle motion to the end, you'd see relative to actual precise platformers, the delay is fucking gargantuan on a relative scale.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the level design and general feel of DKCR are borderline perfect, I love nearly everything about this game, but even I wouldn't argue that not having the option for a button-press roll, when there are more than enough free buttons in both modes of play, is available.

That being said, I'm fine WITH the waggle. But then I have never been a "I must get everything" kind of guy. I play through it on a base level, maybe go back when I'm done to unlock secret levels and then put the game away feeling like I got a very complete experience from the game.

tl;dr: Retro should have known better.

EatChildren

Amir0x said:
Well, I'll have to take your word for it - I only played through like three levels, and I frequently would waggle and the fucking Donkey Kong would not roll. Before you say it, yes the analog was forward. And my brother-in-law complained of the same issue before I even started. And so did my sister.

I bet if you timed it, from the start of the waggle motion to the end, you'd see relative to actual precise platformers, the delay is fucking gargantuan on a relative scale.

No idea then, but not once throughout the entire game had any waggle recognition issues with the roll. If anything I accidentally rolled once or twice, much like accidentally spinning in Galaxy, due to the waggle sensitivity.

Even though I dont really like the waggle to roll and prefer button input, I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as some people made it out to be. I found it highly responsive, and honestly never really had any problem with input lag.

Comparing to SMB is silly though. SMB is the epitome of tight controls. You press it, Meat Boy does it. Its as good as platformers get.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
in other news, I have officially converted to Wiimote/Nunchuck mode. I was blind before, now I see.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ranger X said:
With the jetpack it's indeed annoying. However, if you press riiiiiiight before hitting the ennemi, the jetpack won't turn on.

Like I said it doesn't affect me at all, however this is what people are complaining about. I think they understand that too, but it screws up their timing.

edit- also is there any code out there that maps movement to the classic controller analog? I feel like I have trouble getting momentum with the D pad, but myabe it's just me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
they probably should have just set it to work like the springy pads in the game, honestly

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TheOddOne said:
The guys that made this game are new? Looking at the game you would not expect that.
Not really. The team that made this were mostly there from the creation of MP2. Out of the 3 leads that left and only Tim Little replacing Jack Mathews was someone new taking a lead role, the other spots were filled by veterans (and most of which had already moved up from MP2->MP3).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
extreme hyperbole aside -- because this game FUCKING ROCKS YO -- I really am surprised at how many different ideas have been crammed into this game. I mean, I'm on World 7 and I'm still smiling like an idiot every time I finish a level and think back on what I just did. I want to post more specifically, but I feel like they're better left unspoilt.

I had really low expectations going into this -- well, actually, no. I had no expectations going in, which is probably why I'm enjoying myself so much.

fireside

Kaijima said:
Actually, at the risk of enraging Team Anti-Waggle, I was in this conversation with an offline friend a couple of days ago, and we realized this:

Using the nunchuk+wiimote scheme (which for shortness I'll call the Nunchuk scheme), your Wiimote fingers never leave the jump and grab buttons. Rolling doesn't require shifting fingers, but a wrist snap. Depending on your preferences, I've come to feel this is not a "convoluted" scheme, but a more efficient one. There's never any reflex finger confusion - period. The wrist snap, as with the spin in Mario Galaxy, can (and does, I would argue, if you don't struggle against it every step of the way) become entirely subconscious.
There are enough buttons in the Nunchuck scheme to add roll so you wouldn’t have to move your fingers; they could have put it on B or C.

AniHawk

I'm hating the enemy hi-jump more and more, especially when Diddy's in the mix and pressing A again means he's going to hover.

Aside from that, I haven't been wowed by the level design yet. Just started W3 though. I think Donkey Kong doesn't have nearly as many moves that make him awesome at platforming like Mario in NSMBW. Hell, DK could at least wall jump in Jungle Beat, allowing for some vertical parts to a level.

AniHawk said:
I'm hating the enemy hi-jump more and more, especially when Diddy's in the mix and pressing A again means he's going to hover.

Aside from that, I haven't been wowed by the level design yet. Just started W3 though. I think Donkey Kong doesn't have nearly as many moves that make him awesome at platforming like Mario in NSMBW. Hell, DK could at least wall jump in Jungle Beat, allowing for some vertical parts to a level.
Mario is basically a fat ninja; hard to compete with that. Donkey Kong was really fast in JB though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
for what it's worth, the game keeps building upon itself, so the sorts of levels you'll see in World 1 and 2 are really more of a taster for what's coming in the following levels. Usually the game won't use a gimmick more than twice, and if it does (like the rocket-barrel) it will usually add an interesting extra layer to it.

DKs limited move-set, including Diddy acting as a Power-Up, are the rock that ties you to some of the awesome design thrown at you later.

What you've seen of the game in regard to everything from level variety to boss design is only really getting started. IIRC, the training wheels shake a bit in World 3 and are well and truly off by World 4.

Brashnir

Picked this game up over the weekend, and finally got some time to get into it over the last couple days.

I'll sidestep the debate on the controls for now, and get to the first things that leapt out to me about this game.

First off, it became abundantly clear after only playing a couple levels that the guys at retro "get" platform level design. After reading the Iwata Asks on the game, it was cool to hear how it took them a while and some guidance, but that once it hit home for them, they really got into it and crafted some outstanding levels.

The second thing that got my attention was that the retro chord the game strikes with me isn't the one I think it was intended to strike. While I was expecting a game titled, "Donkey Kong Country Returns" to give me nostalgia pangs for Donkey Kong Country, instead the game smashes me straight in the face with a Crash Bandicoot vibe. I'm talking about the first 2 (and to a lesser extent the third) PS1 Crash games here, not the modern garbage they've been spewing out since Naughty Dog stopped making the games.

Is anybody else getting an Early CB vibe from these games moreso than DKC or are my synapses cross-wired somewhere?

Nabs

AniHawk said:

that only happens when you hold a. tapping a before hitting an enemy will send you flying high without activating his hover.

Now that I have some time, I might elaborate on my well-structured and composed post from before.

Basically this is hovering around the pinnacle of 2D platforming. The levels are abudant in creativity - there's always shit to do in every square inch of every stage and new concepts are introduced so elegantly that it would make EAD Tokyo blush. The Nintendo/Valve school of introducing new mechanics seamlessly without punishing the player initially (but rather introducing it in a safe - or relatively safe - scenario before ramping up its complexity) is one that Retro have mastered here. They get platforming.

The flow of these levels is just insane. This was one of the things that original had going for it, but Retro are putting Rare's effort to shame. Enemy placement is a huge improvement and the way in which they are composed within each levels makes so much more sense than Rare's approach of "hey let's drop shit from nowhere and screw the player over." The enemies here come from underground, or from the background, or from boxes and all kinds of other areas. They're also animated beautifully (the whole game moves outstandingly well) and have a tonne of character. The omission of Kremlings means absolutely zilch, and I actually think the Tikis are pretty fucking hilarious.

I just can't believe how much new shit is thrown at you all the time. It's reminiscent of the Galaxy games in which the new ideas just keep on coming. It keeps things incredibly fresh and even though the level themes themselves don't showcase huge variety, the content within them makes this a complete non-issue. Retro are such clever developers so it goes without saying that they should have a few tricks up their sleeve, but this game is just relentless. The creativity is just off the charts and would give Yoshi's Island, certainly one of the best and most varied entries in 2D platforming, a fair run for its money.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Brashnir said:
Is anybody else getting an Early CB vibe from these games moreso than DKC or are my synapses cross-wired somewhere?

As someone who never played any of the original DKC games (Returns is my first), I was apprehensive about bringing this up in this topic, but ABSOLUTELY YES. It's especially similar to the very first Crash Bandicoot. The world map, the ruins, the jungle music, the masks...the game mechanics are only arbitrarily like Crash (bananas = wampa fruit, bonus rounds, time medals = relics), but the artistic aesthetic of the game screams Crash Bandicoot.

_Alkaline_ said:
Now that I have some time, I might elaborate on my well-structured and composed post from before.

Basically this is hovering around the pinnacle of 2D platforming. The levels are abudant in creativity - there's always shit to do in every square inch of every stage and new concepts are introduced so elegantly that it would make EAD Tokyo blush. The Nintendo/Valve school of introducing new mechanics seamlessly without punishing the player initially (but rather introducing it in a safe - or relatively safe - scenario before ramping up its complexity) is one that Retro have mastered here. They get platforming.

The flow of these levels is just insane. This was one of the things that original had going for it, but Retro are putting Rare's effort to shame. Enemy placement is a huge improvement and the way in which they are composed within each levels makes so much more sense than Rare's approach of "hey let's drop shit from nowhere and screw the player over." The enemies here come from underground, or from the background, or from boxes and all kinds of other areas. They're also animated beautifully (the whole game moves outstandingly well) and have a tonne of character. The omission of Kremlings means absolutely zilch, and I actually think the Tikis are pretty fucking hilarious.

I just can't believe how much new shit is thrown at you all the time. It's reminiscent of the Galaxy games in which the new ideas just keep on coming. It keeps things incredibly fresh and even though the level themes themselves don't showcase huge variety, the content within them makes this a complete non-issue. Retro are such clever developers so it goes without saying that they should have a few tricks up their sleeve, but this game is just relentless. The creativity is just off the charts and would give Yoshi's Island, certainly one of the best and most varied entries in 2D platforming, a fair run for its money.

Awesome post! Now if you'll excuse me I wanna go back and play quite possibly the best game of this generation. :D

Sub_Level said:
As someone who never played any of the original DKC games (Returns is my first), I was apprehensive about bringing this up in this topic, but ABSOLUTELY YES. It's especially similar to the very first Crash Bandicoot. The world map, the ruins, the jungle music, the masks...the game mechanics are only arbitrarily like Crash (bananas = wampa fruit, bonus rounds, time medals = relics), but the artistic aesthetic of the game screams Crash Bandicoot.
They share some common themes, but the presentation is very different imo. DKCR is infinitely more varied and polished, as much as I love the first two Crash Bandicoot games.

Nabs said:
that only happens when you hold a. tapping a before hitting an enemy will send you flying high without activating his hover.
People keep insisting that tapping works great, but I keep getting dodgy results. It makes even less sense since the timing for bouncing off environmental obstacles seems fine. I think this falls in the same category as the "when you can and can't roll" gif that's been repeatedly posted. If you have to continually explain the minutia of how to get a common move to register properly to people who never had an issue with previous games in the series it might just be less than intuitive design.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
AniHawk said:
Retro makes dumb design decisions sometimes, but something tells me this comes from a higher up, like Tanabe.
After reading Iwata asks I think you actually may be on to something here, like for real considering some of Nintendo's developed games

Tricky I Shadow said:
I'm up to the Cliffs and it continues to blow me away....a platformer has never been this alive! The amount of detail and care that went into this is staggering!

The feel and weight of Donkey Kong is absolute perfection! The game gives you so many reasons to love it! Also, this easily has the best graphics on the Wii!

I agree, the art direction combined with perfect animations and a shit ton of things going on all the time is really amazing. On to of that everything runs incredibly stable. If you want the definition of a perfectly polished game, have a look at DKCR. I vastly prefer the gameplay over SMG2 or SMB Wii as well.

edit: Wait, people prefer the Nunchuk controls? Why? I hate using that thing!

Gin

Just passed the game :D and want to post some overall impressions

Controller - I prefer horizontal mode and once in a while I will have some problems rolling - but "usually" it is okay. Something tells me Nintendo wanted to have some waggle in this game - and this has nothing to do with a Retro decision.

Music - a bit of a letdown coming from DKC and DKC2. Majority of the music in DKCR is remixed from the older games. I also found that the music was not as pronounced (reminds me of OTHER M - same problem)

In the older games such as DKC and Super Metroid - while you played these games, the music was definitely part of the experience - in DKCR, it is not =(

Graphics are great. Would love to see some pics on Dolphin

I was just expecting a normal platformer when I bought this game ..... but holy shit ! some absolutely amazing level design. I was initially concerned when watching some trailers. Some levels looked so busy with so much shit going on. However, once I started playing it, I actually enjoyed it very much

I also LOVE the DIFFICULTY. Minecart and Barrel Rocket levels <3

Getting sick and tired of easy nintendo games - so this game is very refreshing. I made the game more difficult by making sure to get all the KONG pieces before clearing a level and then making sure to clear all the K levels (some easy and then some brutal)

Will work on the puzzle pieces later - I will admit that may be a headache. Then may try time trials afterwards

I was trying not to read too many comments in this thread- saw some people having trouble with 8-2 and 8-3 .. but they were okay.

I actually found the final boss quite annoying ..

Overall - I must say this is an amazing game and I would recommend it to others.

I also hope there will be DKCR 2 in the future ... and if possible, have better controller input and music

TheOddOne

schennmu said:
I agree, the art direction combined with perfect animations and a shit ton of things going on all the time is really amazing. On to of that everything runs incredibly stable. If you want the definition of a perfectly polished game, have a look at DKCR. I vastly prefer the gameplay over SMG2 or SMB Wii as well.

edit: Wait, people prefer the Nunchuk controls? Why? I hate using that thing!
Tried the non-nunchuk controls and it felt weird. Nunchuk controls FTW!

I could swear the eggs in the beginning of one of the early Ruins stages look like those that you hatch in Banjo-Tooie. Either another nod or I'm seeing things.

Shiggy

Okay. I'll never forget April 2008... I already talked about this around the time of E3 when we did a session of "Iwata Asks" for Donkey Kong Country Returns, but there was a bit of an incident when several of the core members at Retro Studios who had worked on the Metroid Prime series quit the company.

I didn't know what to do, but about that time, and totally by chance, Miyamoto-san said he wanted to make a new Donkey Kong Country game4 and asked if there were any good possible developers for it. I suggested Retro Studios, and that's how this project began.

We already knew that starting the DK game and the staff departure were around the same time. But we did not know which event resulted in the other. Now it's clear that Retro got DK because the Armature guys left. There's one question left: Why did the Armature guys leave? Either because the Sheik game was canned or because they wanted to work on a new IP.

EatChildren

Shiggy said:
We already knew that starting the DK game and the staff departure were around the same time. But we did not know which event resulted in the other. Now it's clear that Retro got DK because the Armature guys left. There's one question left: Why did the Armature guys leave? Either because the Sheik game was canned or because they wanted to work on a new IP.

Probably because they no longer enjoyed working under Nintendo. I'd say its a safe bet that Nintendo have a very rigid and controlling attitude towards their studios. For better products? It seems that way, but that is not a work envrionment everybody wants to be a part of.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Armature dudes had some strong ideas they wanted to put forward, and Nintendo kept pushing them back. Regardless of the reason, they didn't feel they could make the games they wanted to make with Nintendo, and moved on.

You usually dont hear about it happening in waves like this, especially with such higher up staff, but it does happen quite often. If people want to make certain types of games and dont feel the company they are working for is giving them that opportunity, they search for that freedom elsewhere.

I just did the Factory and am half way through the Volcano. Wow.....just when I thought this couldn’t get any better! The Factory and so far the Volcano have been brilliant! Level design at its best!

If I had to pick the weakest location at the moment it would probably be the Cliffs. Oh and Squawks is so helpful! I don't think I would have ever found some of these puzzle pieces without him! :lol

quetz67

Banned
I thought about buying a Wii for this.

Saw it from a distance yesterday and thought it looked great, when I came a little closer that impression was corrected a little, but it is a Wii, so I expected it.

But then the guy playing moved again and there was some strange kind of motion blur that I found not to be acceptable at all. Is that a general problem? Or a general problem running on HDTV?

epmode

I kind of hate the first Cliffs level. Platforms that look identical but move at different speeds, stopping and starting, etc. Terrible.

Gin said:
Controller - I prefer horizontal mode and once in a while I will have some problems rolling - but "usually" it is okay.

I agree. It controls fine with the nunchuk, but playing with the wiimote alone really makes this game FEEL like Donkey Kong Country.

I'm in the midst of world 5 right now, and so far my favorite is world 4. It's so fully fleshed out as an environment, and the levels are insane.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
quetz67 said:
I thought about buying a Wii for this.

Saw it from a distance yesterday and thought it looked great, when I came a little closer that impression was corrected a little, but it is a Wii, so I expected it.

But then the guy playing moved again and there was some strange kind of motion blur that I found not to be acceptable at all. Is that a general problem? Or a general problem running on HDTV?

Definitely just the TV. I personally think DKC:R is the best looking wii game. Looks amazing.

Top Bottom