• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Danny-Boy

Well I caved in an ordered it online.

My only concern is the game looks a bit too childish, and it's the reason I've stayed away from NSMB Wii. Super Mario Galaxy was borderline but just too good of a game to pass up.

Nabs

Danny-Boy said:

My only concern is the game looks a bit too childish, and it's the reason I've stayed away from NSMB Wii. Super Mario Galaxy was borderline but just too good of a game to pass up.
just give away your wii

The M.O.B

Danny-Boy said:

....................anybody got a facepalm for this poor guy?

TheExodu5

Banned
Danny-Boy said:

Oh, Danny Boy.

Fuck, my Wii broke when I was going through
7-K in Mirror Mode
It makes me so angry that I won't be able to play this game for another couple of weeks. The game is just so good, it pains me to not play it, but I suppose I'll actually get stuff done in the mean time. :lol

Danny-Boy said:

Eh, Gears of War and GTA are far more childish and immature than NSMB Wii. Its very age neutral and you shouldn't pass it over due to primary colors.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just got through the first world, really taking my time with this one. There seems to be so much meat in this game, I can't really describe it any clearer than that.

Not really any issues with the horizontal controls, I am surprised at the differences in using DK alone versus with Diddy. Kinda neat.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, once I went horizontal I couldn't go back to nunchuck. I love playing games in horizontal wii-more mode for some reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When I first started I thought the nunchuck felt off, so I went to the remote which initially felt better, but ended up switching back to the nunchuck and now I feel that its the best way to play the game. Its a rare occasion where a platformer doesn't feel clunky with the analogue stick, and I like the waggle feel better with two controllers than just the one.

JaseC said:
Aussie release date is tomorrow. The next 24 hours are going to be hell.

I’m so happy right now....today is my birthday and then tomorrow I finally get the game!

And don’t forget to pick it up or price match it from Big W for only $64 Australian dollars!

oracrest

Rez said:
Yeah, once I went horizontal I couldn't go back to nunchuck. I love playing games in horizontal wii-more mode for some reason.

The yellow DK Nintendo Power issue comes with a classic 'NES' style sticker for your sideways wiimote, for some icing on that cake.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Haaay, what's with the random Zebra that shows up a couple of times? I've spotted him in the a forest stage as well as a cliff stage. Really quickly disappears whenver you get too close.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tricky I Shadow said:
I’m so happy right now....today is my birthday and then tomorrow I finally get the game!

And don’t forget to pick it up or price match it from Big W for only $64 Australian dollars!

Had no idea. Cheap as chips!

bridegur

I played through the first world -- what a great, great game. If it's this good throughout, it'll easily best any of the Rare DKC games. Amazing, inventive level design, tight control (other than the baffling choice to go with waggling), and some of the best graphics on the Wii. The level of quality and freshness is what I was hoping for out of NSMB Wii.

AniHawk

This feels more like a Retro game than a DKC game.

I kinda feel bad for ditching Sonic Colors so early to try this out, especially since it controls so much better.

My problem so far, I think is going for all the little collectibles first-go. I'm just going to start playing through them. Also, the motion controls aren't as bad as I thought they were going to be, but the down+shake idea was really, really unnecessary.

EatChildren

AniHawk said:
My problem so far, I think is going for all the little collectibles first-go.

If you go for anything, go for KONG. The jigsaw pieces only unlock artwork. Which is good, but if its actual levels you want you can unlock it all just with the KONG letters.

AniHawk

EatChildren said:
If you go for anything, go for KONG. The jigsaw pieces only unlock artwork. Which is good, but if its actual levels you want you can unlock it all just with the KONG letters.

Yeah, see, I love unlocking artwork. Basically, if it's a reward you can see in the game (so, not an achievement or trophy), I love to go for it.

Danny-Boy said:
it's the reason I've stayed away from NSMB Wii. Super Mario Galaxy was borderline but just too good of a game to pass up.

NSMBW is objectively superior to Super Mario Galaxy.

EatChildren

AniHawk said:
Yeah, see, I love unlocking artwork. Basically, if it's a reward you can see in the game (so, not an achievement or trophy), I love to go for it.

I'm going back for the jigsaw pieces now. I enjoyed it more ignoring most of them for the first run through. Trying to get them all every time can be a bit tedious and drags the pace of the game.

On the plus side, once you find a jigsaw piece and finish the level its saved for good, so if you find half the pieces in a level on your first run you can just go back and get the other half later on.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Everything about this game is just so damn classy. It's the buzz-word I'm latching onto here. It's fun in that sadistic way that has me losing thirty lives on a level and going back for more. Everything about the game just fits together so nicely.

I find myself playing through more than one world in a sitting. I'm glad I stuck with it, because once I got into the 'correct' rhythm with the game (which is ridiculously different from a Mario game, which is odd given how similar they are) I've just had so much fun.

I wish it was possible to map the shake function to B in horizontal mode or C in vertical mode, but even the shaking has becomes pretty natural.

This game really highlights what was missing with NSMBW. It was such a sterile, workmanlike game (but ultimately still fun, especially in multiplayer), whereas everything about this game screams fresh, yet still nostalgic in the right way, while hitting every platformer beat it aims to hit almost perfectly. It feels like an EAD Tokyo game.

re: collectibles

I usually just grab what I can and then come back later. A few already collected pieces are good indicators of where the rest are hidden, rather than having to do multiple sweeps to find everything should I go for them the first time over.

If I have piece 1 and 3, I know roughly where in the level 2 is, for instance. The same was true when I watched someone looking for red coins in Sonic Colors.

AniHawk

EatChildren said:
On the plus side, once you find a jigsaw piece and finish the level its saved for good, so if you find half the pieces in a level on your first run you can just go back and get the other half later on.

Yeah, I just figured that part out. I'll be trying to KONG 'em all first-go from now on and ignore the puzzle pieces.

KONGing 'em all first go is what I did, and it was just the right level of challenge without being tedious (and kinda fun to suicide when I missed one I couldn't go back to). Game gives 1up balloons like candy; some levels where I died 10 times I came out with more lives than I went in with :lol

robox

burned through 40 damn lives on the rocket barrel level with the bats. just couldn't get the hang of
leading on the big bat at the end
. had to go for the kong or it was a bust. the resulting 4-k level was easier in comparison. out of the first 4 k levels, the first was hardest by far. what in the hell.

i really wish you could take more hits in rocket barrel and mine cart. what's the point of hearts or even the invincibility if you insta-death upon any impact. plus those stages are more dependent on reflex/memorization than the jumping levels.

Jasoco

Banned
r - b - x said:
burned through 40 damn lives on the rocket barrel level with the bats. just couldn't get the hang of
leading on the big bat at the end
. had to go for the kong or it was a bust. the resulting 4-k level was easier in comparison. out of the first 4 k levels, the first was hardest by far. what in the hell.
I went through 45.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
I went through 45.
I lost 21 and stopped playing (because of a mix of game over and dinner). Can't wait to try again. The bat at the end is tough.

bouu5jcp5xhrvmkwn.jpg

Finally.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
JoeFenix said:
Uploaded some new Shiny Gold Medal runs if anyone is interested...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeFenix?feature=mhum

Up to 6-2 right now, getting there... I haven't even finished the game yet haha!

Your runs are amazing. Continue to update every time you do more. Do you know if there's anyone with shiny golds on everything already, or are you the first to get this far?

The rock banana in 1-4 blew my mind. So much time spent on this game and yet there are still things to discover. Also only recently found out you can turn on the tv in DK's cabin.

mclem

AniHawk said:

But achievements/trophies are unlocking artwork too!

Admittedly, small, square pieces of artwork that you have to squint to see...

I just beat the first world and I'm really pleased so far. The levels offer a great sense of exploration with lots of little secret areas, but are made for fluid and speedy platforming at the same. And they are just beautiful to look at -- there are so many nice animations and incidents in the back- and foreground. <3
The music is fine so far, too. I think the rearrangements aren't as good as their originals, but they still get the mood right.

The fact that rolling is mapped to the motion controls stupid, though. It's fine once you realize you only have to flick the nunchuk to roll, but there's no reason to not offer more options in that regard.

So yeah, I'm really looking forward to play some more. :)

[Nintex]

Just picked it up along with the Mario All Stars collection and holy shit this game is amazing. There's a nice mix of vertical and horizontal platforming, it feels like classic DKC but is fresh at the same time. They really nailed this one.

traveler

Not Wario
You guys keep talking up 20/30/40 lives lost like it's some kind of big deal. On 5-k and 9-1, I lost somewhere between 200 - 300 lives each. :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Up to the boss of the cliffs, and really enjoying most of the game. The level design is light years beyond the original games (which I always felt suffered from some terribad level design and enemy/object placement) and in the upper echelon of platformers. I also like some of the enemies, a lot of people seemed disappointed that the Kremlings weren't included, but it never phased me. My favorite so far are the skeletons riding the minecarts that raise and lower. Not to mention, graphics are some of the best on Wii, the use of color is excellent. The sunset stage in the first world is particularly jaw-dropping.

Complaints? Of course I have them.

-First off, the game's control scheme would have been vastly improved if the roll was mapped to a button, instead of waggle. And that the game should have offered Classic Controller/waggle free support. I have this controller that is absolutely perfect for all these great 2D platformers coming out (Kirby, NSMB Wii, this), yet none of them seem to use it because they want me to suffer through tacked-on waggle :(

-And second, several of the levels seem to be too much "muscle memory", and taken from Rare's 8 and 16 bit game design. I'm mainly referring to the mine cart-esque stages
or the 'chase' stages, such as the bug infestation at the end of world 5, and the boulder chase in world 6
. It seems, you make the slightest slip-up and you die. I was kinda hoping this type of gameplay would have died back in the 16 bit era.

Still, overall an excellent game, and this is from someone who didn't particularly care for Rare's DKC games, or the other Retro games (Metroid Prime series).

zweifuss

Rez said:
Everything about this game is just so damn classy. It's the buzz-word I'm latching onto here. It's fun in that sadistic way that has me losing thirty lives on a level and going back for more. Everything about the game just fits together so nicely.

I find myself playing through more than one world in a sitting. I'm glad I stuck with it, because once I got into the 'correct' rhythm with the game (which is ridiculously different from a Mario game, which is odd given how similar they are) I've just had so much fun.

I wish it was possible to map the shake function to B in horizontal mode or C in vertical mode, but even the shaking has becomes pretty natural.

This game really highlights what was missing with NSMBW. It was such a sterile, workmanlike game (but ultimately still fun, especially in multiplayer), whereas everything about this game screams fresh, yet still nostalgic in the right way, while hitting every platformer beat it aims to hit almost perfectly. It feels like an EAD Tokyo game.

re: collectibles

I usually just grab what I can and then come back later. A few already collected pieces are good indicators of where the rest are hidden, rather than having to do multiple sweeps to find everything should I go for them the first time over.

If I have piece 1 and 3, I know roughly where in the level 2 is, for instance. The same was true when I watched someone looking for red coins in Sonic Colors.

You can with homebrew. Ocarina cheat codes are your friend. I'd still prefer it to be how the old games were, where the Y button was used for everything from pounding to rolling. Oh well perhaps they'll fix it with the sequel if we're vocal enough about it!

farnham said:
mine got shipped by shopto

its the first time i ever bought from them

how long does it take ?
Depends on the shipping method. The cheap one may arrive later next week, the more expensive one could be there as soon as next monday (or even saturday if you're super lucky).

farnham

Banned
slaughterking said:
Depends on the shipping method. The cheap one may arrive later next week, the more expensive one could be there as soon as next monday (or even saturday if you're super lucky).
as long as it doesnt take as long as zavvi or thehut im all okay

You know with Kenji Yamamoto composing this soundtrack, I expected it to be a little better. The tracks he made all seem to be a little bland, as well as sounding too similar to metroid prime. Isn't David Wise freelance now? How come he didn't do this soundtrack?

Guevara

Would anyone recommend this game to someone who adored NSMB:W? Is the platforming as "tight" and are the controls similar?

Top Bottom