• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Guevara said:
Would anyone recommend this game to someone who adored NSMB:W? Is the platforming as "tight" and are the controls similar?

If you are a fan of the genre (platforming) you owe it to yourself to get this game, its brilliant.

edit: during the first level I had the biggest shit eating grin on my face, its that good :D

Got the game today and it's awesome, but I got some massive black bars on my television. Honestly, they take up 50% of my screen, they are the worst black bars I've seen so far. Trying it on another tv and I hope the black bars are smaller on that one. Why can't every game be like SMG2, where there's no letterbox if you play in 4:3, sigh. I really need money to buy a decent HDTV.

I have no problems with the shake to roll btw, it comes out everytime I want it to come out.

Granny handed me $50 for Christmas last night, so I'll be picking this up finally in a few hours.

FUCK YEAH!!!!

360 is gonna get a well earned rest, and the Wii is about to be pewnished.

Guevara said:
Would anyone recommend this game to someone who adored NSMB:W? Is the platforming as "tight" and are the controls similar?

The move-set in DKCR is considerably more limited than NSMBW, the platforming isn't as tight, and the controls don't feel nearly as responsive. The rolling jump, in particular, takes a while to get used to—especially if you are familiar with previous DKC games. If you mistime a jump, you are basically dead. In NSMBW, you could always save yourself with a last-minute backflip, a spin jump, or a desperation wall kick. Don't expect to have the same level of control in DKCR that you had in NSMBW. The good news is that the level designs in DKCR are perfectly suited for the game's play mechanics. NSMBW is a much more reactionary game whereas DKCR requires a lot more memorization.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The Golden Temple art gallery has some insane stuff in it. Banana rollercoaster? A Virtual Boy level? Put that in the sequel plz Retro

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Granny handed me $50 for Christmas last night, so I'll be picking this up finally in a few hours.

FUCK YEAH!!!!

360 is gonna get a well earned rest, and the Wii is about to be pewnished.
Why would your granny give you your Christmas present on Dec 1?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
udivision said:
Cranky: "See you later, alligator. Ha, ha!"

Hmm....

I'm so glad they dropped the Kremlings. The Jungle Beat style enemies in DKCR are a thousand times better than those shitty old designs.

thomaser

I got the game to my store (in Europe) today, so I've naturally spent the evening going through the first world :D Stunning so far, and I suspect it will only get better! Retro Studios is just great.

Rich!

Right, played up to world 7-4. My thoughts:

- Playing it with my SNES classic controller. It's awesome. Why wasn't it an option?

- The rocket levels fucking suck. Why are there so many of them? In the Rare DKC games, each level would have it's own unique gimmick - but just that one level. In DKCR, every time ANOTHER fucking rocket level comes up, it pisses me right off.

- Cranky Kong should be more of a bastard. Why is he giving you free balloons? Why does he finish his message with 'Love Cranky'? You young whippersnappers should be paying for those motherfucking balloons.

- On the topic of Cranky Kong - the instruction manual doesn't have his input. He should be in there, hurling insults at the reader!

- Music is disappointing. Yamamoto, I expected more from you. Some promising tunes...but too many remixes of stuff I've already heard. I've gone through this in another thread though.

- Not a huge amount of variety in the enemies. But I guess, there's only so much you can do with evil bongo drums. There had better be some more variety, or kremlings, in DKCR2.

To sum it up, the pure platforming based levels are absolutely superb. The rocket levels are shit, and the soundtrack relies too much on remixes from DKC1 (there are 15 different remixes of the mine cart theme alone in the game's soundtrack. 15 of them), rather than crafting it's own feel and melodies like DKC2 and DKC3 did.

Anyway, back to playing.

Jasoco

Banned
Ushojax said:
I'm so glad they dropped the Kremlings. The Jungle Beat style enemies in DKCR are a thousand times better than those shitty old designs.
Still, I miss K. Rool.

But I'll take a sequel to DKCR with or without them. :D

Just finished the game. Its fantastic but its so infuriating sometimes. World 7's level design makes it so much fun, it really stands out, I loved it so much. Those mine cart levels on the other hand made me loose 10 plus lives. On World 8 my lives went from 58 to 20. But I can forgive the frustration because of the fantastic level design and art style. I prefer it to NSMBW, and its my second favorite game on Wii right below Galaxy 1 & 2.

loosus

Banned
I'm gonna repeat someone up above's question: why the hell didn't Nintendo get David Wise on this? Was he asked, at least? Someone with some political/editorial/journalistic clout, ask Nintendo!

The music in Donkey Kong Country (SNES) made a great game into a great game that -- even if you dislike the graphics/gameplay today -- you probably still remember the music to. It really made the game memorable.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
loosus said:
I'm gonna repeat someone up above's question: why the hell didn't Nintendo get David Wise on this? Was he asked, at least? Someone with some political/editorial/journalistic clout, ask Nintendo!

The music in Donkey Kong Country (SNES) made a great game into a great game that -- even if you dislike the graphics/gameplay today -- you probably still remember the music to. It really made the game memorable.
In all fairness, the music of the first DKC sucked a lot; there are two or three songs that are good, but all the other are forgotten very fast. I have the music CD to prove anyone disagreeing wrong.

Jasoco

Banned
I hope the next DKCR takes more elements from DKC2. Unlike the NSMB which doesn't seem to want to take anything from SMB2, even though I'd love to see some SMB2-like features in a NSMB game, like exclusive elements (Shyguys, POW blocks) and gameplay moves. (Being able to stand on and pick up items/objects. Maybe even stuff buried in the ground.

I am especially hoping for the return of Zingers and the Bramble levels. Maybe even a chance to return to Kremland (Even if the Kremlings aren't in the game. Make it an abandoned amusement park) Oh, and a haunted woods. These are the elements I miss most. Not to mention the music.

And if there's ever another sequel, they can borrow a small amount from DKC3. But nothing too much as it's not that important to the series.

udivision

manueldelalas said:
In all fairness, the music of the first DKC sucked a lot; there are two or three songs that are good, but all the other are forgotten very fast. I have the music CD to prove anyone disagreeing wrong.

That doesn't work when you're dealing with nostalgia land.
That reminds me, I like how the Forest Overworld song incorporated the forest level song into it.

TheExodu5

Banned
manueldelalas said:

You're nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEE-RzKMelU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAPpVplHiDE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcklfVCEAcg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMoroEuJPA8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyRI_M8ZXE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v18pEFQb3EM&feature=related

edit: not nearly as good as DKC2 though. But to say it's anywhere near a bad soundtrack is silly.

manueldelalas said:
In all fairness, the music of the first DKC sucked a lot; there are two or three songs that are good, but all the other are forgotten very fast.
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disa-

manueldelalas said:
I have the music CD to prove anyone disagreeing wrong.
Damn it! I'm trapped in your inescapable net of logic!

watkinzez

0lYoA.jpg

Circular Quay, Sydney, this morning.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
richisawesome said:
- The rocket levels fucking suck. Why are there so many of them? In the Rare DKC games, each level would have it's own unique gimmick - but just that one level. In DKCR, every time ANOTHER fucking rocket level comes up, it pisses me right off.

There's not that many of them. Five maybe throughout the entire game?

mclem

Rekubot said:
Yes! I'm a 10 minute drive from the Hull store. :D

But how far are you away from the nearest fruitstall? Or, I guess, you could nip down to Sydney, looks like they've got plenty there.

mclem

richisawesome said:

Actually, if I recall DKC correctly, the vast majority of gimmicks would appear in *two* levels, albeit with a slight variation from one to the other; I remember one with a platform that you had to keep grabbing fuel for, and I think I remember a second variant but I don't recall exactly what it was; and I definitely recall two minecart levels, one where you jump with the minecart and one where you jump independently from it.[/QUOTE]

Pagusas

Elden Member
god Aquatic Ambiance is still probably my favorite game music, just soooo good. Does the new DK have a remix/re imagined version of it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mclem said:
Actually, if I recall DKC correctly, the vast majority of gimmicks would appear in *two* levels, albeit with a slight variation from one to the other; I remember one with a platform that you had to keep grabbing fuel for, and I think I remember a second variant but I don't recall exactly what it was; and I definitely recall two minecart levels, one where you jump with the minecart and one where you jump independently from it.

Correct, but even then DKCR has a higher rate of variety than the original games. Pretty much every level in DKCR does something new, right up until its all over. As much as I love the old games, I dont remember the variety being this consistent.

Pagusas said:
god Aquatic Ambiance is still probably my favorite game music, just soooo good. Does the new DK have a remix/re imagined version of it?

Yes, and its a bit shit.

Jasoco

Banned
mclem said:
Actually, if I recall DKC correctly, the vast majority of gimmicks would appear in *two* levels, albeit with a slight variation from one to the other; I remember one with a platform that you had to keep grabbing fuel for, and I think I remember a second variant but I don't recall exactly what it was; and I definitely recall two minecart levels, one where you jump with the minecart and one where you jump independently from it.
Actually, it was the first level that was just a moving platform and the variation was the one with the fuel.

Also, is it just me, or would world 7-R have been better as a real level with KONG letters and puzzle pieces instead of just a rocket trip to the stars? (Even though it wasn't going into space, it was simply flying in an arc to the roof of the factory a few hundred feet away.)

Just finished off a playthrough of DKC to get me in the DK mood (not that it was really needed anyway) and about to head down now to pick it up.

I was actually incredibly glad this game didn't come out until today down here in Australia. Gave me enough time to give Colours the love it deserved.

FUCK YEAH DONKEY KONG

manueldelalas said:

Wow. :lol

I can think of at least ten tracks that are memorable.

Simian Segue
Island Swing
Aquatic Ambience
Funky's Fugue
Forest Frenzy
Northern Hemispheres
Ice Cave
Fear Factory
Gangplank Galleon
Credits Concerto

Btw people Life in the Mines > Aquatic Ambience.

LevityNYC

Banned
manueldelalas said:

You are definitely in the minority on that one.

Jasoco

Banned
LevityNYC said:
You are definitely in the minority on that one.
Definitely. I actually recorded my own soundtrack on cassette tape back in the day and would listen to it while going to sleep. It was always good.

Top Bottom