• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Going to pick up DK after work, hope it's really something special as I'm usually disappointed with 2D platformers.

So do you guys prefer the old "claymation" graphics style or the new polygon style? I personally prefer the old style better because it seemed more detailed and vibrant. DKCR looks so bland to me. I do like how they can go foward and back in the screen though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anticitizen One said:
So do you guys prefer the old "claymation" graphics style or the new polygon style? I personally prefer the old style better because it seemed more detailed and vibrant. DKCR looks so bland to me. I do like how they can go foward and back in the screen though.

Vibrant? The colour pallet of the original games was far more subdued than DKCR.

SuomiDude

Damn, I really wished I was playing the game right now, but it didn't arrive yet, so gotta wait until monday :( But got it so much cheaper than buying it straight from a strore, so it's not that bad I guess.

Vanille

Anticitizen One said:

Yeah, I also prefer the art style in the original trilogy. I wouldn't exactly say that DKCR looks "bland" though, some of the visual touches are simply amazing, but it does seem to be lacking something.

It's too bad the game doesn't feature online leaderboards for speed running. It's quite fun, but it's not super motivating to just go for medals. I would prefer to compare my times with other people.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
slaughterking said:
It's too bad the game doesn't feature online leaderboards for speed running. It's quite fun, but it's not super motivating to just go for medals. I would prefer to compare my times with other people.

It would be cool to have that. I haven't even started my speed runs yet. I'm looking forward to some videos to see how people go about doing it so fast. I could speed run the first 2, looking to do the same with this one.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anticitizen One said:
I get the bland comment because you feel exactly that when you watch the CG opening.

I still feel if Iwata or whoever in Japan hadn't asked to have the original music in it the game would have much more of it's own identity and not feel so, for lack of a better word, soulless.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Teetris said:
I get the bland comment because you feel exactly that when you watch the CG opening.

I still feel if Iwata or whoever in Japan hadn't asked to have the original music in it the game would have much more of it's own identity and not feel so, for lack of a better word, soulless.

Well one of the reasons I didn't like the cinematics or the story is the enemies. While the CGI wasn't the greatest, the enemies just have no character to them. As I said before even though Gaf doesn't seem to like them, I loved the Kremlins, I think this game would've benefited from them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
People watched the CG cutscene? I watched a few seconds and skipped it.

I think the cutscenes are one of the few points in the game where the enemies DO have personality, actually. I love the little jingle the major tikis play when they hypnotize an area's boss, for example.

Of all the things to harp on some people are actually going after the visuals? Really? I've only played through the first two worlds (with a healthy dose of collecting and time trials), but pretty much every stage so far is dripping with style and countless environmental details that reinforce the passion of the art team. At a bare minimum I think it spanks DKC 1&3 in that department, at least during gameplay. I will say that the characterizations during cut scenes and after bonus stages are comparatively weak compared to the original trilogy though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Kyleripman said:
I think the cutscenes are one of the few points in the game where the enemies DO have personality, actually. I love the little jingle the major tikis play when they hypnotize an area's boss, for example.

Agree to disagree then, because I think they're boring.

Dr.Hadji

The Jungle Book "Beatles" birds have plenty of soul. Plus flying frogs is so Mario. Bees in the air, no one bats an eye. You see a flying turtle or frog, you gona be paying attention.

Chuckie

Just got it. Played only one world so far but I am totally loving it!

Wanna play some more but my better half is watching a movie right now. Am I an evil person for wanting her to go to bed? :lol

Kyleripman said:

Don't know how much personality I get from it but they always make me laugh. :lol

Wessiej

Tence said:
Just got it. Played only one world so far but I am totally loving it!

Wanna play some more but my better half is watching a movie right now. Am I an evil person for wanting her to go to bed? :lol
Oh my, same story here. Got it today but didn't play it yet because people taking over the Wii-tv :(

Go to bed already.

fireside

Kyleripman said:
I thought the beginning when the tiki tries to hypnotize Donkey Kong and he just gives the camera this look was cute.

But, honestly, I don’t really remember the Kremlings having that much personality. They’re like goombas. They’re just there.

Chuckie

Wessiej said:
Oh my, same story here. Got it today but didn't play it yet because people taking over the Wii-tv :(

Go to bed already.

Well looking at your hideous avatar, you are probably a Dutchy too.... and that means you also know they're not going to bed yet..... not for a goddamn long time :lol

shit is harder than corn nuts

slaughterking said:

you are part of the problem

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
slaughterking said:
Why not just post some of your best times here? I'm sure people can do it. Leaderboards are really only great if you're either A) super amazing and in top 100 worldwide or B) comparing with friends.

Wessiej

Tence said:
Well looking at your hideous avatar, you are probably a Dutchy too.... and that means you also know they're not going to bed yet..... not for a goddamn long time :lol
Working at six....but I need to play with fucking Kong before I go to bed :lol

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Anticitizen One said:
So do you guys prefer the old "claymation" graphics style or the new polygon style?

I much prefer the DKCR style. It's vibrant, it's detailed, and the characters actually have character, not just a hideous pair of staring googly eyes. The animation is also streets ahead. It's like jumping from Super Mario RPG to Mario Galaxy.

gogojira said:
Seriously, Rare's Cranky is so much better.

I really don't see any difference. He's still cranky isn't he? That's about all that matters.

totowhoa

Banned
98% Complete, I've Mirror-completed worlds 1 and 2 so far, got all the puzzle pieces through 6 (Actually I may be 100%, but I haven't checked... played for like two hours after finishing 9-1 today). Man I'm having so much fun with this game :D Least favorite level is definitely 9-1. Feels like a mediocre Rayman level. Looking forward to completing it. Not sure how I feel about trying to time trial stuff yet. Done a few, but.... they're demanding. Jesus fucking christ.

gogojira

Beat it last night, excellent game. I guess I need to sit on it a while before fully laying out my opinion, but it's definitely up there with the rest of the series -- my initial reaction is to say it's better.

Platforming is much more complex and action-packed in a good way, and the art style is ridiculous.

My only real complaints come with the soundtrack, which isn't bad, but is mostly just remixed versions of the original, better OST; and the lack of character given to Cranky Kong. Seriously, Rare's Cranky is so much better.

Lathentar said:
Why not just post some of your best times here? I'm sure people can do it. Leaderboards are really only great if you're either A) super amazing and in top 100 worldwide or B) comparing with friends.
Well, I'm sure there's a reason why so many games have online leaderboards instead of a message that asks you to post your time on the message board of your choice: It's damn convenient. :p

slaughterking said:

Weird, going after a medal sounds more motivating than competing with random usernames.

At the end of World 4. Game is really heating up.

Because I'm never going to do it, what happens when you collect all the Kongs, puzzles, and all that jazz?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
slaughterking said:
Well, I'm sure there's a reason why so many games have online leaderboards instead of a message that asks you to post your time on the message board of your choice: It's damn convenient. :p
Yeah, I know leaderboards would have been really nice, however there is nothing stopping you from comparing times to others.

Dougald

Spent the evening playing coop with the girlfriend, swearing progressively more and more with each passing level. This game is as frustrating as it is brilliant. Truly classic dkc and I wouldn't have it any other way

Allan Holdsworth said:
Weird, going after a medal sounds more motivating than competing with random usernames.
To each their own I guess. I didn't suggest to replace one with another anyway, I just want another layer of competition.

Lathentar said:
however there is nothing stopping you from comparing times to others.
Sure there is. I'm super lazy and I don't even know who these "others" are that want to compare times. :p

V_Arnold

Oh my god, this game is pure awesome.
I have nostalgic retro-chills thanks to the music. And oh, the controls.

Damn, and I remember some dude came from the E3 or PAX or whatever saying that the SKY IS FALLING because it controls like shit. Well, guess what: it controls like heaven.

my-body-is-ready.png

I was so much more excited about Epic Mickey when I picked both that and DKCR up, but I think Donkey is by far the better game.

I thought the nunchuck controls would be shit, but it controls beautifully.

My GF's obsessed with it too. We were playing through it together, but I wake up this morning and she's already been up playing it for hours...

Ranger X

out0v0rder said:
you are part of the problem

You said it. People are doing less and less in life if they aren't "validated" by other people. Modern society problem if you ask me. It's sad to see people will enjoy stuff less and less for themselves or for challenging their own self -- cultivating their own feeling of reward.

aaaaanyhow, this is off topic :)

Ranger X said:
You said it. People are doing less and less in life if they aren't "validated" by other people. Modern society problem if you ask me. It's sad to see people will enjoy stuff less and less for themselves or for challenging their own self -- cultivating their own feeling of reward.
This is going too far now. Can't believe what bullshit my rather inoffensive comment spawned. :lol

JoeFenix

People are bitching about the graphics in this game?

Seriously, I am hyper critical and the graphics in this game are phenomenal on all levels.
Performance is perfect too, I can't believe the complaining going on in here...

Anyway, 6-K, 6-B and 7-1 are up for those interested

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeFenix

mclem

Played through World 1, including 1-K. Absolutely love it. The most fun dynamic platforming I've played in years.

In terms of background easter egg/features, one I don't think I've seen mentioned: Take note of the markings on the background pillars in 1-K. It's easiest to see right at the start or at one of the 'rest stops'.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JordoftheDead said:
My GF's obsessed with it too. We were playing through it together, but I wake up this morning and she's already been up playing it for hours...

She found a new Kong.

Socreges

Banned
World 7 is when the game really begins to come together, in my opinion. I've gone from "quite enjoy" to "love". Platforming bliss. And no weak vehicle segments [yet..?].

To revisit my previous comment about DKCR looking bland. I am mainly refering to the beach levels and the early cave stuff. The beach stuff in particular is terrible (except for that tidal wave level thats cool). The forest is awsome though and is more in line with the old DKC style.

Top Bottom