• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

udivision said:
My try:
rm723b.png

I think I love you. :lol

Trying to finish up DKC2 right now. I'm finding the game pretty difficult really, sometimes its good difficulty, sometimes just frustrating and annoying. Some levels have you maneuvering around enemies really close, and it can be hard to tell exactly how close you can get before the game registers damage.

I'm not surprised people are attached to the games music. When things get frustrating I think its the only thing that keeps me from rage quitting. :lol

EzLink

Banned
I'll never forget what happened a few days before Christmas in 1994. My parents let me open a gift early... it was a SNES with Donkey Kong Country! My 4 year old self couldn't have been happier. DKC was my very first video game, sparking in me a hobby that I still continue 16 years later. I have so many memories of playing it with my dad, how frustrated we got on Snow Barrel Blast and how excited we were when we finally beat it, only to die on a later level before getting to Candy's save booth :lol

When DKC2 rolled around, my dad and I got it on launch and had a pizza party, staying up until about 2 AM playing it (which for a kid my age was a big deal)

I played through DKC on Saturday and DKC2 on Sunday. Both were exceptionally fun, just like I remembered. The engaging and vibrant art style and graphics, the incredibly atmospheric music, the tight and fluid platforming (particularly in 2), and fun bonus challenges all come together to create quite the experience

Needless to say I am foaming at the mouth for Sunday to get here. After all of these years, I get to do more than just relive DKC magic. I get to once again experience a brand new chapter in one of my all time favorite game franchises. And up until E3, that is something I never thought would happen again

Socreges

Banned
Snuggler said:
Wii is definitely worthy of a purchase by any non-homeless gamer at this point, there are a whole lotta great games to play
Thing is, I'm not really a "gamer" these days. I deliberately avoid spending money and time on games. As much as it is a passion and always has been, I can't afford to play each and every game that I recognize as "great". So I leave it to the instant-classics that I have to play.

Socreges said:
Thing is, I'm not really a "gamer" these days. I deliberately avoid spending money and time on games. As much as it is a passion and always has been, I can't afford to play each and every game that I recognize as "great". So I leave it to the instant-classics that I have to play.
As a result of the market, most quality third party Wii games are 20-30 dollars, sometimes lower. Okami and Mad World, for example, can sometimes run under 10 dollars.

But that doesn't add time to your life lol

Darkgran

My boy has a countdown chain for this game. Let me just say that I helped him make it and I can't wait for this game.

CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!

Socreges

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
As a result of the market, most quality third party Wii games are 20-30 dollars, sometimes lower. Okami and Mad World, for example, can sometimes run under 10 dollars.

But that doesn't add time to your life lol
Bingo. Plus I'm not so interested in 3rd party Wii games. I'm a Nintendo fan first and foremost when it comes to games, even though I normally play just stuff on the 360 nowadays.

EzLink said:
I'll never forget what happened a few days before Christmas in 1994. My parents let me open a gift early... it was a SNES with Donkey Kong Country! My 4 year old self couldn't have been happier. DKC was my very first video game, sparking in me a hobby that I still continue 16 years later. I have so many memories of playing it with my dad, how frustrated we got on Snow Barrel Blast and how excited we were when we finally beat it, only to die on a later level before getting to Candy's save booth :lol

When DKC2 rolled around, my dad and I got it on launch and had a pizza party, staying up until about 2 AM playing it (which for a kid my age was a big deal)

I played through DKC on Saturday and DKC2 on Sunday. Both were exceptionally fun, just like I remembered. The engaging and vibrant art style and graphics, the incredibly atmospheric music, the tight and fluid platforming (particularly in 2), and fun bonus challenges all come together to create quite the experience

Needless to say I am foaming at the mouth for Sunday to get here. After all of these years, I get to do more than just relive DKC magic. I get to once again experience a brand new chapter in one of my all time favorite game franchises. And up until E3, that is something I never thought would happen again

Well said - in fact, perfectly said. I played through DKC over the weekend and am working on finishing up DKC2 - I just got to Animal Antics, arguably the hardest level in the series. Playing these games triggers so many memories, and it's amazing how many secrets I remember despite the fact that I haven't played these to completion in years. Perhaps more importantly, they hold up to this day as beautiful games with incredible atmosphere and rock solid gameplay. This applies to DKC3 as well, but I don't know if I'll have time to play it before Sunday. I can hardly wrap my head around the idea that soon I'll have a new game to play, full of secrets to learn for the first time, and to eventually master.

EzLink

Banned
Kyleripman said:
Well said - in fact, perfectly said. I played through DKC over the weekend and am working on finishing up DKC2 - I just got to Animal Antics, arguably the hardest level in the series. Playing these games triggers so many memories, and it's amazing how many secrets I remember despite the fact that I haven't played these to completion in years. Perhaps more importantly, they hold up to this day as beautiful games with incredible atmosphere and rock solid gameplay. This applies to DKC3 as well, but I don't know if I'll have time to play it before Sunday. I can hardly wrap my head around the idea that soon I'll have a new game to play, full of secrets to learn for the first time, and to eventually master.

Yes, it was amazing how instinctual it was for me to take some secret path or launch into a bonus barrel. If only I would have ingrained important shit into my brain during those crucial developmental years instead of Donkey Kong Country secrets :lol

I knew I wouldn't have time to get all of the coins for the Lost World, so I didn't do any of it on my play through over the weekend (which is a shame, because the true final battle in that game is one of my favorite gaming memories). But fuck Animal Antics, I remember that shit being brutal

The level that gave me the most trouble on my recent play was Web Woods. Fucking spider controls!

Also the one bad thing about replaying these was that it made me remember how badass Enguarde is (he is especially redemptive in the shitty water levels of the original), and that he won't be in DKCR. Oh well, hopefully he'll make it into DKCR2 :D

EDIT: Yeah, I'm not gonna have time for DKC3 before Sunday either. It's a great game, but my least favorite of the trilogy so I wanted to make time for my two favorites.

.la1n

This game looks so amazing. I only have two complaints: motion controls for the rolls. Diddy should follow behind. As long as levels are still just as challenging as the originals with what basically accounts to a double jump in single player then i'm cool with it.

Who am I kidding, they don't have to fix anything, I'll buy it.

You're right that replaying these so close to the release of the new game is going to make the exclusion of certain elements sting a little, like Enguarde or some of the other animal buddies (or K. Rool, who I've always loved). I actually like 2 and 3 the most, but decided to replay the first one over the third because I think that DKCR will be closest to that game in spirit.

Sunday's going to be a hell of a day. I think I'm going to go with sideways Wiimote control. A post over at DKVine apparently confirmed a run button in that setup, too.

EzLink

Banned
Kyleripman said:
You're right that replaying these so close to the release of the new game is going to make the exclusion of certain elements sting a little, like Enguarde or some of the other animal buddies (or K. Rool, who I've always loved). I actually like 2 and 3 the most, but decided to replay the first one over the third because I think that DKCR will be closest to that game in spirit.

Sunday's going to be a hell of a day. I think I'm going to go with sideways Wiimote control. A post over at DKVine apparently confirmed a run button in that setup, too.

Even though I'm not expecting him to be in, I'm still going to be disappointed if K Rool doesn't at least get some sort of reference. He's one of my favorite villains in Nintendo's repertoire. I'm also sad at the lack of Funky Kong, even though he's always been pointless

DKCR does seem to take most of its cues from the original, so here's to hoping the sequel (if we are so lucky) is more influenced by Diddy's Kong Quest :D

I played through DKC 1 and 2 right around E3 this year in celebration of the announcement of this game. I started DKC3 a couple months ago, but never got around to finishing it. Maybe I'll do that this weekend...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I've kind of tuned out on the control stuff thus far mostly because of incessant bitching about waggle, but is there any reason I can't use one of the BOSS controller shell for NSMBI wii to play this game?

EzLink

Banned
Instro said:
Any deals on this btw? Kind of disappointed Amazon isnt doing a $10 GC.

I would like to know this too. I was planning on heading to Walmart at midnight, but I guess I could wait until 9 AM when some stores open if anybody is offering anything worthwhile

But it would have to be EXTREMELY worthwhile. Because I could already have the game beaten by 9 if I get it at midnight!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eteric Rice said:
We should be getting impressions soon. It looks like both this and Epic Mickey have been leaked. :(

I knew that Mickey leaked, but DK? Really? Thats pretty early.

Eteric Rice

EatChildren said:

Could be wrong, /v/ might be trolling people.

I'm watching a stream of Epic Mickey though, so it's definately leaked.

Kard8p3

EatChildren said:

It wouldn't surprise me. Since ellen gave away early copies it's entirely possible that someone leaked it.

totowhoa

Banned
EzLink said:
I would like to know this too. I was planning on heading to Walmart at midnight, but I guess I could wait until 9 AM when some stores open if anybody is offering anything worthwhile

But it would have to be EXTREMELY worthwhile. Because I could already have the game beaten by 9 if I get it at midnight!

Is walmart good about having their stock ready to go at midnight? I've never really shopped there. I often work til ~midnight at one of my jobs on sunday, so I wouldn't picking it up then. Would be my first midnight pickup in nearly ten years.

Anth0ny

Eteric Rice said:
Could be wrong, /v/ might be trolling people.

I'm watching a stream of Epic Mickey though, so it's definately leaked.

Man, that's early.

I've avoided any media for both games since E3... this is gonna be tough :lol

Flib

Ugh, people need to buy these sorts of games so we can actually get more of them [/obvious rant]

I bought a launch wii, but really hadn't used it in years, but this year has finally made me dust it off in a serious fashion (starting with the godly Sin and Punishment 2). If this keeps up, I'll be using it all the time. Can't wait for this and Mickey to come out.

hatchx

Banned
After looking at the last NPD "results" I'm starting to get curious over how this game will sell in the first month.

I can see it doing over a million, I can see it doing under 200k. Nothing is surprising anymore. Realistically I'm going to guess it pushing 1 million through the entire holidays in NA.

EzLink

Banned
Sklorenz said:
Is walmart good about having their stock ready to go at midnight? I've never really shopped there. I often work til ~midnight at one of my jobs on sunday, so I wouldn't picking it up then. Would be my first midnight pickup in nearly ten years.

My Walmart usually is pretty good with this. A few years ago when I decided I would only shop at Gamestop if I were in the midst of a severe gaming crisis and there was nobody else, I had to go elsewhere for my midnight releases. In the dozen or so times I've gone to Walmart since then to get a game at midnight, I can only think of a couple times they didn't have it on time (and the games were slightly more obscure, not a big time Nintendo release)

I may call ahead and see if Gamestop is having a midnight release just in case though. If walmart doesn't have it at midnight, the gamestop is right across the street (and yes, not being able to get DKCR at midnight is one of the few examples I would categorize as a severe gaming crisis)

Instro

hatchx said:
After looking at the last NPD "results" I'm starting to get curious over how this game will sell in the first month.

I can see it doing over a million, I can see it doing under 200k. Nothing is surprising anymore. Realistically I'm going to guess it pushing 1 million through the entire holidays in NA.

Depends on the marketing I guess. With a half decent marketing campaign this game could easily sell over a million through the holidays. I assumed this would receive a big push from Nintendo, but I havent seen any ads yet so who knows.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I apologize for the following rant but I need to get it out of my system.

Mr.Potato Head said:
wtf..why not allow classic controller an option with this game? that baffles me

shut up Shut Up SHUT UP with this PEOPLE

Why can't you play it with the balance board? I have one, it's right here! I prefer games on it why don't all games support it. I ALSO HAVE A ZAPPER.

This classic controller whining in every goddamned thread these days is making me lose my mind. I don't care if you think it's a "classic" game and should use "classic" controls. Hey why not just use 16 bit graphics at 224p because HEY THAT'S CLASSIC HUH?

This is a sequel, not a remake. Just because it's 2D doesn't somehow exempt it from the design methods of its era and its system. The Wii has been out for four years you should be extremely used to motion controls by now. They are not going anywhere. They are here to stay. "Classic Controller Support" is a crutch that you cling to in a desperate bid to pretend the Wii isn't what it is. WELP, IT IS. SRY.

"But options are better! You can't argue against options!"

This isn't about options and you know it. Refer to the ridiculous Balance Board argument. It's about hating "waggle" and wanting the "option" to live in a world where the Wii launched exclusively with an Xbox 360 controller.

"But the motion isn't being used for anything that's enhanced by motion, it's being used for moves that could be accomplished faster and more reliably with button presses!"

On the Wii, a quick shake basically IS a button press. It's simply another input method. Any time I hear the argument that it's objectively less precise or quick I wonder what these people are doing in their games. A jerk of the wrist is absolutely no slower than the time required to move a thumb to a button to depress it. When the SNES came out you had to learn to use your index fingers, did you put up this kind of a stink then? Those shoulder buttons probably took LONGER to move your finger to and depress than a wrist shake! And they absolutely do in this era of deep analog triggers.

Just like a shoulder button, though, a wrist shake (by virtue of being a distinct input method) can be performed while your thumbs are busy doing something else. This is why the shake in NSMBW was so great, it allowed you to perform a spin no matter what your thumbs were doing, you didn't have to let go of run, you didn't have to let go of jump, you gain the ability to perform these moves simultaneously. I'm not sure this will end up being relevant in DKCR, but it's a point in favor of wrist-jerks regardless.

In short: live in the now. I learned how to manage this system four damn years ago in Twilight Princess because that's what the system was, and I decided "hey I'd better get good at this mechanic because I like playing games." Just like all of us did when we were first challenged by a new mechanic. Because we conquer these "challenges" and learn how to do new things. Such is the virtue of the gamer. You know what, maybe there's some kind of input that's far superior to a base and pedestrian action like "pressing a button" but you know what, that's what we're given, and we have the option to either learn how to fucking manage it, or bitch about it every damn day of our lives. I'm pretty sure gamers used to be more flexible than this.

--

Ahem.

Yeah Donkey Kong woo I can't wait!

TheExodu5

Banned
I really wish this supported Classic Controller. Hopefully it plays nice with Dolphin so I can use it there, and get HD graphics!

Kard8p3

Tathanen said:
I apologize for the following rant but I need to get it out of my system.

shut up Shut Up SHUT UP with this PEOPLE

Why can't you play it with the balance board? I have one, it's right here! I prefer games on it why don't all games support it. I ALSO HAVE A ZAPPER.

This classic controller whining in every goddamned thread these days is making me lose my mind. I don't care if you think it's a "classic" game and should use "classic" controls. Hey why not just use 16 bit graphics at 224p because HEY THAT'S CLASSIC HUH?

This is a sequel, not a remake. Just because it's 2D doesn't somehow exempt it from the design methods of its era and its system. The Wii has been out for four years you should be extremely used to motion controls by now. They are not going anywhere. They are here to stay. "Classic Controller Support" is a crutch that you cling to in a desperate bid to pretend the Wii isn't what it is. WELP, IT IS. SRY.

"But options are better! You can't argue against options!"

This isn't about options and you know it. Refer to the ridiculous Balance Board argument. It's about hating "waggle" and wanting the "option" to live in a world where the Wii launched exclusively with an Xbox 360 controller.

"But the motion isn't being used for anything that's enhanced by motion, it's being used for moves that could be accomplished faster and more reliably with button presses!"

On the Wii, a quick shake basically IS a button press. It's simply another input method. Any time I hear the argument that it's objectively less precise or quick I wonder what these people are doing in their games. A jerk of the wrist is absolutely no slower than the time required to move a thumb to a button to depress it. When the SNES came out you had to learn to use your index fingers, did you put up this kind of a stink then? Those shoulder buttons probably took LONGER to move your finger to and depress than a wrist shake! And they absolutely do in this era of deep analog triggers.

Just like a shoulder button, though, a wrist shake (by virtue of being a distinct input method) can be performed while your thumbs are busy doing something else. This is why the shake in NSMBW was so great, it allowed you to perform a spin no matter what your thumbs were doing, you didn't have to let go of run, you didn't have to let go of jump, you gain the ability to perform these moves simultaneously. I'm not sure this will end up being relevant in DKCR, but it's a point in favor of wrist-jerks regardless.

In short: live in the now. I learned how to manage this system four damn years ago in Twilight Princess because that's what the system was, and I decided "hey I'd better get good at this mechanic because I like playing games." Just like all of us did when we were first challenged by a new mechanic. Because we conquer these "challenges" and learn how to do new things. Such is the virtue of the gamer. You know what, maybe there's some kind of input that's far superior to a base and pedestrian action like "pressing a button" but you know what, that's what we're given, and we have the option to either learn how to fucking manage it, or bitch about it every damn day of our lives. I'm pretty sure gamers used to be more flexible than this.

--

Ahem.

Yeah Donkey Kong woo I can't wait!

This man speaks the truth.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Been playing DKC again just to get back into it a little, was real fun for the first worlds, but man...

Fuck the first snow level. Fuck those super fast, sometimes moving, spinning barrels. Fuck those bees moving real fast around them. Fuck that falling snow that only exist to annoy the hell out of it.

Fuck that level.

Bisnic said:
Been playing DKC again just to get back into it a little, was real fun for the first worlds, but man...

Fuck the first snow level. Fuck those super fast, sometimes moving, spinning barrels. Fuck those bees moving real fast around them. Fuck that falling snow that only exist to annoy the hell out of it.

Fuck that level.

Fuck.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've kind of been on a blackout, so I always assumed it would have CC support. What a shame. The Pro is so comfortable. Like a dream.

Bisnic said:

Fuck that level.
Yea I just played that level a few days ago. Only way I have finished that it is by a hidden barrel that lets you skip the last area area. Found it on accident once. :lol

Kard8p3

Lyphen said:
I've kind of been on a blackout, so I always assumed it would have CC support. What a shame. The Pro is so comfortable. Like a dream.

It needs CC support just as much as NSMBW does which means it doesn't need it at all.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
It needs CC support just as much as NSMBW does which means it doesn't need it at all.

NSMB is way better with CC support. The Wiimote d-pad blows, and is not that comfortable sideways. <3 Dolphin.

totowhoa

Banned
Only reason I wanted CC support was for multiplayer. I've been so against buying another wii-mote+nunchuck for so long. Guess I'll finally have to do it... the multiplayer games that don't support GC (effectively) or CC are starting to reach a breaking point for me.

TheExodu5 said:
NSMB is way better with CC support. The Wiimote d-pad blows, and is not that comfortable sideways. <3 Dolphin.

Yeah, I ground-pounded into pits too many times :lol Still had a ton of fun for about six months when I was borrowing a friends wii-mote when he wasn't using the system. Still one of my favorite multiplayer games when playing with my fiance.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sklorenz said:
Only reason I wanted CC support was for multiplayer. I've been so against buying another wii-mote for so long. Guess I'll finally have to do it... the multiplayer games that don't support GC (effectively) or CC are starting to reach a breaking point for me.

Uhh...don't you need a Wiimote to use a CC?

Nabs

TheExodu5 said:
i think i have a perfect cc setup in mind

totowhoa

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Uhh...don't you need a Wiimote to use a CC?

Just looked it up and I guess so. I haven't really kept up with the Wii a whole lot. :( Always figured it just plugged in. Guess I'll just settle for another remote then. I hate buying controllers

Top Bottom