• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Forkball

Holy crap this game is hard. Maybe it's because I haven't played a DK platformer in forever and I'm not familiar with a lot of the core DK mechanics. Like in Mario, I more or less know what to expect in terms of enemy placement and how to pass a level, but this game really challenges you to think before you act. But I do have to say DK's hitbox needs to be reduced, there are many times where I didn't touch an enemy yet still take damage.

Threi

notag
dJdEt.jpg

i said wow

Schlomo

I'm probably not the first one to ask this, but is there a consistent way to jump high from enemies? In the old DKC you had to keep the jump button pressed, but here you have to let go of it for a moment. But this doesn't always work for me. Also, when I have Diddy, is it possible to jump high from enemies without using the jetpack?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Schlomo said:
I'm probably not the first one to ask this, but is there a consistent way to jump high from enemies? In the old DKC you had to keep the jump button pressed, but here you have to let go of it for a moment. But this doesn't always work for me. Also, when I have Diddy, is it possible to jump high from enemies without using the jetpack?
Release the button from the original jump then press and hold the button prior to landing as if you're trying to jump off the enemy's head. The stall descent won't kick in if you press the button close enough to the creature's head.

Schlomo said:

Hold the jump button just before landing on an enemy.

Absolutely it's possible. There's no difference in how you should approach it. Some GAFers have mentioned having issues with it. Personally I never noticed it.

Mael

balladofwindfishes said:
Some concept art from this game. Is this old? I just got it from Kotaku

It shows a Super Mario Bros 2 looking level (I don't know if this is in the game or not?) and an underwater stage with an eel looking animal buddy. Looks like a Virtual Boy type level also.

Holy hell I knew they were good, but this is...
seriously this is beyond anything I'd have expected....and my expectations were unrealistic to begin with....

Dartastic

I think that this game is absolutely fantastic and all, but fuck the rocket levels. So hard. I basically almost every time have to use super guide because of one dumb mistake. I'm at the volcano one, and I just spent ten lives trying to get through. Was on my last one, so I decided to once again, super guide it. Eff.

Also, I want more rhino.

Dartastic said:
I think that this game is absolutely fantastic and all, but fuck the rocket levels. So hard. I basically almost every time have to use super guide because of one dumb mistake. I'm at the volcano one, and I just spent ten lives trying to get through. Was on my last one, so I decided to once again, super guide it. Eff.

Also, I want more rhino.

Don't worry, it's coming and it's goooooood.

Just finished world 4, and god damn that giant bat with her sonic waves. GOD DAMN! I lost 16-20 lives because I can't control that flying barrel. *rage*

Apart from that I think this game is very awesome and I don't have any issues at all with the controls.

One question though, how do you unlock these locked ways?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Finished the game the other day. Beat all the K levels as well as 9-1. It was a superb game. DK moved perfectly, the controls worked fine for me, the level design was varied and there was plenty of challenge. The graphics were beautiful and I loved the chunky, detailed aesthetic. The only things I didn't really like were the bosses, they were mostly easy, aside from the annoying final boss. I had no problems with the rocket levels, they could be taxing but I don't think there's was anything wrong with the controls. They were just old-school brutal in their design.

I loathed the original DKC games, but adored Jungle Beat, and I'm so glad Retro took most of their cues from JB rather than the Rare games, DKCR has the feel of Mario Galaxy or Ocarina of Time, a truly definitive entry in a franchise.

Tryckser said:
One question though, how do you unlock these locked ways?

Buy the keys from Cranky's shop.

Garcia

BowieZ said:
best concept art i've ever seen

yeah, i have seen the epic mickey stuff

I really, really hope retro works on a Virtual Boy level for DKCR2. The concept art is just insanely good.

SuomiDude

Has anyone else encountered lots of crashes with this game? It only happened once in one bonus room in world 4, though at one other time a short part of the music kept looping until it loaded the main stage again. Now at world 5 I can't play one of the stages (5-4) without the game crashing all the time. I have the launch PAL Wii, and there's never been a single problem before.

Garcia

SuomiDude said:
Has anyone else encountered lots of crashes with this game? It only happened once in one bonus room in world 4, though at one other time a short part of the music kept looping until it loaded the main stage again. Now at world 5 I can't play one of the stages (5-4) without the game crashing all the time. I have the launch PAL Wii, and there's never been a single problem before.

Never had issues with the game... Might be your laser drive? :S .

SuomiDude

Garcia said:
Never had issues with the game... Might be your laser drive? :S .
I don't know, tried again, now I could advance further into the level, but again it gave me an error. Tried the other levels, and they worked fine, but seems only this levels craps out all the time. And all the other games worked fine, the problems started with this game... fuck...

And there's no scrathes on the disk, looks perfectly clean.

Maxrunner

Stumpokapow said:
http://www.pixlbit.com/news?action=showNewsArticle&newsArticleId=1037

Scroll down to this paragraph "For ease of use, you can download the cheat already pre-made as a .gct ready to drop in the proper directory by right clicking here, choosing Save Link As..., and naming the file "CC_Support_DKCR.zip"." and save that zip.

Unzip.

Most copies of the game are v2, so go into v2. Move the gct file there into your SD card under usb-loader/cheats/ (if you're running Configurable, not sure what other USB Loaders use). Launch USB loader. Per-game options. Enable cheats for the game (the option is under "Ocarina"). Boot game. If it doesn't work, try the v1 file.

Default is R = 1, Y = waggle.

i assume you dont need to have the game in a usb hard disk?, i can apply the cheats running in the game in disc mode?

daakusedo

I have a strange problem with this game, if I stay at the start screen, the demo mode will begin and soon after I got the reading disc error,that never happen during the game hopefully.

Apenheul

daakusedo said:
I have a strange problem with this game, if I stay at the start screen, the demo mode will begin and soon after I got the reading disc error,that never happen during the game hopefully.

I have that too sometimes, only happens with dual-layer games on my system. Placing the Wii horizontally helps.

Garcia said:

<3

daakusedo

In my case, that's everytime for this game.
And I have another game that I replay a bit and got disc error after one hour, now I can't pass the title screen.
I was thinking after repairing my wii when the lens die with other m all will be ok but there is still all those things plus I found that Mario galaxy 2 is really more noisy than my other games.

Apenheul

daakusedo said:
In my case, that's everytime for this game.
And I have another game that I replay a bit and got disc error after one hour, now I can't pass the title screen.
I was thinking after repairing my wii when the lens die with other m all will be ok but there is still all those things plus I found that Mario galaxy 2 is really more noisy than my other games.

If you send in your Wii for repair make sure that you've copied your savegame-data to an SD-card, most likely they'll just send you a different Wii with the internal flash memory wiped (they will transfer your licence so you can redownload all VC / WiiWare games).

I don't think I've ever died so many times in such quick succession as I have in this game (and I own Super Meat Boy).

The odd thing is though, that I don't get frustrated at all. I'm actually sitting there smiling to myself even though in my mind I'm cursing myself/Retro/moles/giant bats.

I love it.

Jaded Alyx said:
I don't think I've ever died so many times in such quick succession as I have in this game (and I own Super Meat Boy).

The odd thing is though, that I don't get frustrated at all. I'm actually sitting there smiling to myself even though in my mind I'm cursing myself/Retro/moles/giant bats.

I love it.
I was getting puzzle pieces and KONG letters today, and had to replay some levels 4 or 5 times to find them all. It never got old

It's a combination of great level design, great art direction, great animation, and great music. It makes me want to replay some levels that I have beaten 100%, just to enjoy the scenary. Every level looks visually different from another, yet the game manages to keep a solid theme through the whole adventure.

sphinx

the piano man
So after finishing Castlevania:LOS I proceeded to unwrap this game to begin my first playthrough.

I finished the first world, the Island world and discovered a secret level called Platform Panic.

WHAT.. THE..FUCK... this game is hard as hell, your thumbs will bleed, your heartbeat will go faster. After losing about 60 lifes in the level I managed to complete it and since I already mastered the level, I though it would be a good idea to finish the time trial now instead of later. I just managed to end it in 1:10.32 seconds....

What the hell, really, this is as hardcore gaming as it gets, I don't remember a level this hard in DKC2 and 3.

Platform Panic does kind of come out of nowhere. Good stuff though.

If it makes you feel better, the game eases off for a little bit. But then comes back with a vengeance.

Ranger X

sphinx said:
So after finishing Castlevania:LOS I proceeded to unwrap this game to begin my first playthrough.

I finished the first world, the Island world and discovered a secret level called Platform Panic.

WHAT.. THE..FUCK... this game is hard as hell, your thumbs will bleed, your heartbeat will go faster. After losing about 60 lifes in the level I managed to complete it and since I already mastered the level, I though it would be a good idea to finish the time trial now instead of later. I just managed to end it in 1:10.32 seconds....

What the hell, really, this is as hardcore gaming as it gets, I don't remember a level this hard in DKC2 and 3.

If you want to do everything, this game IS immeasurably harder than any previous DKCs.

Hieberrr

I picked up this game not too long ago, and wow.. just wow. Most definitely one of the best classic side-scrolling platformers that I have ever played. Much more fun that NSMB Wii. This, for me, beats any game on the Wii
yes, that includes Galaxy. There, I said it

EDIT: Does anybody know where I can find those hi-res pieces of the concept art? It seems that the original link is down.

EDIT: Never mind, I saw the link above :D

sphinx

the piano man
_Alkaline_ said:
Platform Panic does kind of come out of nowhere. Good stuff though.

If it makes you feel better, the game eases off for a little bit. But then comes back with a vengeance.

Ranger X said:
If you want to do everything, this game IS immeasurably harder than any previous DKCs.

Don't you guys try to get 100%, complete files in your playthroughs?

I have played DKC2 like 10 times and DKC3 like 5 and I haven't left a single playthrough incomplete. DKCR won't be the exception.

I left timetrials and any puzzle pieces I didn't find to my second playthrough (which I'll start sometime down the line). It's good to have stuff to come back to.

I made sure to collect all the KONG letters though for the K levels.

I was playing this at Gamestop for the first time. The game was in world 4. I just kept dying. I was like "WTF?" It took me 20 lives to beat the mine cart-like level. Couldn't figure out why DK couldn't jump far enough to the other mine cart. 20 crashes into the pit later, I figured it out.

This game is a lot more... unforgiving than DKC 1. One little "whoops", and you're dead. Unsure of when to jump from mine cart to mine cart? Dead. Unsure of if to jump off the mine cart or ride it down towards a possible pit? Pick the wrong choice, dead.

I think part of it is that the carts move a shitload faster than the original game.

Edit - Even the easy jumps between mine carts will kill you if you time the jump wrong. You have to watch it carefully and adjust yourself in mid-air if you're going to miss the next cart. Otherwise... dead.

I just beat the final boss.

I NEARLY WENT INSANE TRYING TO BEAT THIS BOSS. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. BURNED THROUGH 48 LIVES. THE GOLDEN TEMPLE CAN GO FUCK ITSELF I'M DONE WITH THIS GAME.

The game was a very enjoyable experience. For the most part.

Dartastic

aztrex said:
I just beat the final boss.

I NEARLY WENT INSANE TRYING TO BEAT THIS BOSS. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. BURNED THROUGH 48 LIVES. THE GOLDEN TEMPLE CAN GO FUCK ITSELF I'M DONE WITH THIS GAME.

The game was a very enjoyable experience. For the most part.
I'm at him now. Whoever made the decision to make you lose Diddy if you die during the battle and have to retry can die in a fire.

Top Bottom