• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

agrajag said:
No Wario?
It's not really a classic platformer, it's more about exploring levels to find treasures. Although each level has a series of missions and some of them require good platforming skills to complete.

Anyway, I recommend getting Do Re Mi Fantasy on the Virtual Console.

Wizpig

So I assume those with crazy good times in the speed-runs on Youtube "cheated" with a Classic Controller?

Maybe not every single one of them, but still, it's not something that the developers planned.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Wizpig said:
So I assume those with crazy good times in the speed-runs on Youtube "cheated" with a Classic Controller?

Maybe not every single one of them, but still, it's not something that the developers planned.
Nope. Joe Fenix got all Shiny Golds with the nunchuk.

Haunted

agrajag said:
So, this game gave me an itch for some more classic platforming on the Wii. What platformers does GAF recommend? Wario World? Klonoa? Muramasa? NSMB Wii? I played the latter at a kiosk and didn't really like it. Maybe it was one of the early levels, but it seemed dumbed down and uninspired compared to earlier SMB games. And I didn't like the art style either. On the 3D side of things, I've been meaning to pick up SMG2. I absolutely loved the first one, so I'm gussing I'll at the very least enjoy it. So what say you, GAF?
Klonoa and NSMBWii are good. Wario and Epic Yarn come recommended if you don't mind a low difficulty. All classic platforming with no/unintrusive motion control.

On the fringe, there's A Boy and his Blob which is a beautifully drawn puzzle/platforming mix. It's slower-paced.

The two Lost Winds titles and NyxQuest come recommended on Wiiware, both are fresh takes on classic platforming, using the Wiimote extensively.

The SMG games are of course no brainers for 3D. De Blob is also quite good and damn cheap by now, although there's a whole lot of exploration mixed into the platforming.

edit: oh yeah, the VC has a shitton of classic platforming of course, but I think you were mostly referring to newer titles.

Every console has its titles, but the Wii is my favourite platformer... platform this gen. Quantity and quality, all there.

Stumpokapow said:
http://www.pixlbit.com/news?action=showNewsArticle&newsArticleId=1037

Scroll down to this paragraph "For ease of use, you can download the cheat already pre-made as a .gct ready to drop in the proper directory by right clicking here, choosing Save Link As..., and naming the file "CC_Support_DKCR.zip"." and save that zip.

Unzip.

Most copies of the game are v2, so go into v2. Move the gct file there into your SD card under usb-loader/cheats/ (if you're running Configurable, not sure what other USB Loaders use). Launch USB loader. Per-game options. Enable cheats for the game (the option is under "Ocarina"). Boot game. If it doesn't work, try the v1 file.

Default is R = 1, Y = waggle.
I actually tried another configuration while I was waiting which has R to waggle. If all the buttons are on the face, isn't it hard to run and roll, jump?

agrajag

Banned
Haunted said:
Klonoa and NSMBWii are good. Wario and Epic Yarn come recommended if you don't mind a low difficulty. All classic platforming with no/unintrusive motion control.

On the fringe, there's A Boy and his Blob which is a beautifully drawn puzzle/platforming mix. It's slower-paced.

The two Lost Winds titles and NyxQuest come recommended on Wiiware, both are fresh takes on classic platforming, using the Wiimote extensively.

The SMG games are of course no brainers for 3D. De Blob is also quite good and damn cheap by now, although there's a whole lot of exploration mixed into the platforming.

edit: oh yeah, the VC has a shitton of classic platforming of course, but I think you were mostly referring to newer titles.

Every console has its titles, but the Wii is my favourite platformer... platform this gen. Quantity and quality, all there.

Thanks for the heads up. I beat the first Lost Winds, but I didn't care for it. Beautiful art style and music, but the game play was utterly boring for me. And yes, looking for new games only.

Ranger X

agrajag said:
So, this game gave me an itch for some more classic platforming on the Wii. What platformers does GAF recommend? Wario World? Klonoa? Muramasa? NSMB Wii? I played the latter at a kiosk and didn't really like it. Maybe it was one of the early levels, but it seemed dumbed down and uninspired compared to earlier SMB games. And I didn't like the art style either. On the 3D side of things, I've been meaning to pick up SMG2. I absolutely loved the first one, so I'm gussing I'll at the very least enjoy it. So what say you, GAF?

Fear the first world in NSMBWii. It's been made easy and really accessible since most casual will only play that one and also to let them experience the multiplayer fun.
However, don't let this kiosk experience fool you. This is simply the best 2D Mario ever made. You simply cannot be prepared the kind of genuine gameplay and level design the other worlds will bring to you. And the difficulty ramps up greatly. Each level is having their unique touches and the power new power ups are great and put to good use. It'S incredibly well balanced for playing 2 players too (even if it's extremely fun to do it alone anyways). No seriously, don't let people convince you it's just another NSMBDS or a counter-immersive kiosk experience decide, you will miss something that is out of the ordinary.

Wizpig

Lathentar said:
Nope. Joe Fenix got all Shiny Golds with the nunchuk.
Then it's all good!
Ranger X said:
Fear the first world in NSMBWii. It's been made easy and really accessible since most casual will only play that one and also to let them experience the multiplayer fun.
However, don't let this kiosk experience fool you. This is simply the best 2D Mario ever made. You simply cannot be prepared the kind of genuine gameplay and level design the other worlds will bring to you. And the difficulty ramps up greatly. Each level is having their unique touches and the power new power ups are great and put to good use. It'S incredibly well balanced for playing 2 players too (even if it's extremely fun to do it alone anyways). No seriously, don't let people convince you it's just another NSMBDS or a counter-immersive kiosk experience decide, you will miss something that is out of the ordinary.
But the physics are not as good as other 2d Mario games.

The triple jump feels off, etc.

Ranger X

Wizpig said:
Then it's all good!But the physics are not as good as other 2d Mario games.

The triple jump feels off, etc.

Well, I do not agree with this. It's better than SMB1 but a little tighter than Mario 3.
In my opinion Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World are having the worse controls. (and we are still in the "great controls" category here compared to the industry in general) SMB = a bit too tight and SMBW = a bit too loose.
As for the triple jump well... lol, you don't need to use it if ever you don't like it. It was necessary to use it like twice in the history of Mario all games.

K' Dash

I just started playing this, will I be missing something if I don't do any of the time attacks? I hate time attacks with passion.

I'm collecting all the kong letters and puzzle pieces, by the way.

Ranger X

K' Dash said:
I just started playing this, will I be missing something if I don't do any of the time attacks? I hate time attacks with passion.

I'm collecting all the kong letters and puzzle pieces, by the way.

Let me bet the time attacks don't reward you with much more than the achievement feeling of pulling them off.

Ranger X said:
For the silvers I agree. Gold times however are hard to a point it actually removes the fun of doing them and it becomes frustrating.
Which in turn makes them even more rewarding when you do collect them!

K' Dash

Ranger X said:
For the silvers I agree. Gold times however are hard to a point it actually removes the fun of doing them and it becomes frustrating.

Yeah, that's what I tought, will skip that and enjoy the rest of the game.

I picked up this game last month. I tell you, it is so hard for me to jump on the blue birds in the first couple of stages. It's not that they are difficult, it's more along the lines that they look old and tired. So I don't have much of an inclination to jump on them.
007.jpg

Now some of the good looking bad guys would be the vultures from the first DKC, those guys were mean looking.
1190769-mini_necky_thumb.jpg

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Ranger X said:
And Shiny Gold takes that frustration to an extreme. Just spent 45 minutes getting Shiny on Tidal Terror. But it was well worth it!

Benjillion said:
I picked up this game last month. I tell you, it is so hard for me to jump on the blue birds in the first couple of stages. It's not that they are difficult, it's more along the lines that they look old and tired. So I don't have much of an inclination to jump on them.
007.jpg

Now some of the good looking bad guys would be the vultures from the first DKC, those guys were mean looking.
1190769-mini_necky_thumb.jpg

Just act like you are putting them out of their misery.

agrajag

Banned
I like those "old birds":lol

One thing I noticed going back to the beginning and trying to collect all the letters is how nice and smooth the progression of difficulty is in this game. Levels that took me anywhere from 10 to 30 lives to beat in the first few worlds were a breeze on the second playthrough.

So rarely do I play a game these days that make me want to 100% it, but this is one of them. I got this and Sonic Colors for Christmas. I beat Sonic Colors and had no desire to get all the extras in there, but after beating DKCR, I wanted to play more and I knew I had to beat it in its entirety. I'm not there yet but I have 100% the first 2 worlds and gotten 2 orbs. 6 more to go! This game rocks!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
perfectchaos007 said:
So rarely do I play a game these days that make me want to 100% it, but this is one of them.
i feel exactly the same. what's ironic is that DK64 was the last game i 10
%'d and put me off the completionist obsession for years.

it's kinda poetic that the game which would spark that obsession again is a DK game.

agrajag said:

NSMBWii is not dumbed down at all. There's some amazing level design in that one.

And, yeah, get Galaxy 2. Get it yesterday.

Then if you really want more go for Wario Land. Solid game if you're interested in doing "missions" within your platforming.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
agrajag said:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best 3D platformer ever made, and not picking it up should be a crime punishable by death.

m.i.s.

Banned
agrajag said:

As you've already expressed an interest in it, go for SMG2 - it really is a stupendous effort with wonderful yet accessible level design. It even autosaves after each star is acquired so is easy to dip in and out. If you want classic platforming, you're better off sticking with SMB1,lost levels,3 and World on VC or go for Super Mario All Stars Wii. NSMB Wii, unlike previous 2D Mario efforts, does absolutely nothing new. And the motion controls are gimmicky.

mclem

EatChildren said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best 3D platformer ever made, and not picking it up should be a crime punishable by death.

Death seems a bit harsh. I suggest the Ludovico technique.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ranger X said:
Well, I do not agree with this. It's better than SMB1 but a little tighter than Mario 3.
In my opinion Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World are having the worse controls. (and we are still in the "great controls" category here compared to the industry in general) SMB = a bit too tight and SMBW = a bit too loose.
As for the triple jump well... lol, you don't need to use it if ever you don't like it. It was necessary to use it like twice in the history of Mario all games.

wat

Are you sure your definition of tight/loose isn't backwards?

agrajag

Banned
M.I.S. said:
As you've already expressed an interest in it, go for SMG2 - it really is a stupendous effort with wonderful yet accessible level design. It even autosaves after each star is acquired so is easy to dip in and out. If you want classic platforming, you're better off sticking with SMB1,lost levels,3 and World on VC or go for Super Mario All Stars Wii. NSMB Wii, unlike previous 2D Mario efforts, does absolutely nothing new. And the motion controls are gimmicky.

Thanks guys. I played all the old Mario games, I was just looking for new titles with classic platforming elements.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
TheExodu5 said:
wat

Its a tricky thing to define. If you're better at precise twitch control then SMW is tight and SMB (Super Mario Bros) is loose. On the other hand, if you're not great at mid-air control and you depend more on a characters defined momentum to make accurate predictive jumps (like me) then SMW can feel very loose as its easier to mess jumps up, while SMB (Super Mario Bros) feels incredibly tight.

SMB (Super Meat Boy) hits an awesome balance of the two though. Probably the best 2D platformer controls I've ever felt.

Wizpig

The_Technomancer said:
Its a tricky thing to define. If you're better at precise twitch control then SMW is tight and SMB (Super Mario Bros) is loose. On the other hand, if you're not great at mid-air control and you depend more on a characters defined momentum to make accurate predictive jumps (like me) then SMW can feel very loose as its easier to mess jumps up, while SMB (Super Mario Bros) feels incredibly tight.
This.
SMB (Super Meat Boy) hits an awesome balance of the two though. Probably the best 2D platformer controls I've ever felt.
and This.

NSMBWii doesn't feel quite right to me, and i'd also say that NSMB DS was better in the controls department. (not as a game though)

The jump in NSMBWii feels too long, like you're on the moon... the DKCR one is definitely better.
Oh and of course Galaxy1/2 is perfect for a 3d platformer.

Dave Long

Banned
First of all NSMB Wii is completely awesome and will likely end up among the top three games in the series if Mario ever disappears someday. It's that good.

Second, my middle son (10) bought DKCR yesterday and was challenged significantly, but eventually slowed his pace down and figured it out. Those old birds at the start are a pain because they're just sooooo slow. He wanted to kind of rush through and kept stumbling into them (or the frogs).

Beautiful and tightly controlled Nintendo greatness in this one, though. Retro are really among the best Nintendo has.

Ranger X

TheExodu5 said:
wat

Well, by "tight" I meant "stiff" I guess. Does that make more sense? (bad english sorry). And for "loose" what word can I use? (I mean you can move too much in air)

Haunted

I like the CC option more than the default, but I realised that the real problem I have with the controls compared to the old DKC games is that there's no roll on the spot and no proper run button, essentially. That's what throws me off most of the time (still in World 8).

ReiGun said:
It's been 15 years since I play DKC1, and this still rings true: Fuck mine cart levels.
:lol

Those are my favourite levels! :)

Benjillion said:
I picked up this game last month. I tell you, it is so hard for me to jump on the blue birds in the first couple of stages. It's not that they are difficult, it's more along the lines that they look old and tired.
:lol

These birds are actually some of my favorite enemies in the game, along with the moles.

Just beat King Tiki for the first time (end of Volcano). I love the game, but, man, that boss fight kinda exposed the weak controls. It's so laborous to make DK do what you want him to. You have to take into account the time it takes to change direction, the acceleration period, and then the long lag in reaching the peak of his jump. I didn't feel like I was fighting an enemy, but just trying to get my guy moving correctly.

I'm diving into the jigsaws, letters, time trials, and K levels now, and still enjoying it. The more you keep DK in motion, the more fun the game is.

Azure J

This game.

This fucking game.

This is like the first time in ages where I've been consistently hooked on just exploring the areas of a game in multiple sittings. It starts out as "oh let me just snag some more puzzle pieces" but before I realize it, I'm literally scouring places for secrets and platforming everywhere. Honestly though, sometimes I wonder if I'm getting old or if there is too much going on visually from time to time. Any time I get into a level with lots of movement (i.e. preetty much every minecart level), I have this weird thing happen where I tunnel vision to only DK's immediate area and can't really see anything else happening on screen. :lol

This sucks considering that the game is gorgeous as fuck and I'm still in awe at the dynamic stages. Nothing ever stays in place, and that just makes everything seem so alive.

Top Bottom