• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Deku Tree

It's super tough, but it is doable. I think Diddy will help you the most, not sure who you're using right now but that would be my advice.

in what situations is Diddy better than Dixie? I don't see it. Seems to me that Dixie does everything Diddy does but she does it better. What am I missing?

4-K Done! Thank fuck.

I've only got 5-K and 6-K left, but I've got to get the KONG letters in 2 levels out of world 5 and 4 or 5 levels out of world 6 still.

Sendou

You know the moment I thought this game was actually pretty medium difficulty I come across 2-K. Finally managed to beat it but it sure offered some challenge! 3-K was a piece of cake in comparision.

Ok so after finding out my game was broken at 3-3 I erased my file, played it through again and now I'm up to world 5. Having a ball and it's really brought me back to why I used to enjoy 2d platformers so much (NSMBU failed to do this)

Just gotta say, Retro studio are kings. Looking forward to 100%'ing this game.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, Harvest Hazards is my new favorite tune and level.

Never before has a game stage made me crave some fruit. Damn I need some plump berries and some grapefruit wedges.

Oh god this game is too good. Now on 4-K and lost like 30 lives but you know what:

1j7xMS8.gif

The final boss music is starting to grow on me! I guess I just keep trying to compare it to Gangplank Galleon, which was amazing. But it's good in its own way!

VanWinkle

Am I too late to tell you that the game was incredibly inconsistent? it starts promising enough but gradually kind of falls into an abyss when you hit world 4 and never truly recovers.
I still got my 100% out of it though so it must've had something there that pushed me on that far, perhaps it was that I could see the potential of its gameplay changes which aren't fully realised. Then again I'm so used to the idea of thoroughly mediocre Sonic outings it's like par the course, games like Colours and Generations are greatly appreciated exceptions.
It has nice music though so there's that as well.

Could you say what specifically you thought got worse about it as it went on?

Andrew.

Banned
I just found the secret exit in Fruity Factory completely by accident. First time that's happened.

Also, 5-2's rocket barrel stage was insanely cool. A complete "WTF is going on?!" scenario the whole way through. I had a total blast. Love those controls!
haha Dax! =P

Give me your copy of Snoic Lost World, because I was bored 5 minutes in and it never grabbed my attention.

5 minutes sounds about right. Never has a game lost my attention so quickly.
after sonic colors, lost world was really bad (it looks great though)

juicy jungle was great. I was worried it might be a repeat of returns, being a jungle and all, but it was amazing from start to finish. The only things i miss from returns are the monkey statues from the ruins levels, and more complicated barrel sections(hoping world 6 has them). A few more minecart stages would be good, something like that rolling egg from cliffs.

atbigelow

I'm not much for DLC, but I would buy any and all DLC for this game.

Also I am sure we're gonna get a patch to at the least fix the 3-3 bug. Nintendo is known to ship game ending bugs but also known for fixing them. Would be nice if there were a few tweaks as well.

maxcriden

in what situations is Diddy better than Dixie? I don't see it. Seems to me that Dixie does everything Diddy does but she does it better. What am I missing?

Dixie gets you height, but I believe Diddy helps you get extra distance and maybe a touch more time in the air.

I got to 3-1 last night. If this game doesn't put a smile on your face I recommend that you seek help with someone who specializes in treating depression.

So, so good.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, going back through the levels to get the KONG letters and the puzzle pieces... I'm realizing even more so just how ridiculously well-designed this game is. It's too bad that people's expectations for a 2D platformer have been lowered so much over the years, because I think this is the game that could really kick anyone's cynicism to the curb.

-TK-

Just finished the final boss, but still have some kong letters and puzzle pieces left.

This might be the best platformer ever.. DKC2 is my all time favorite, but this game is as good as it or maybe even better. Can't really choose right now. Almost pure perfection.

Gsnap

Finally finished the main game. Haven't gotten into any secret stuff yet aside from some K levels.

The game is amazing. Everything is so good it's hard to pick favorites. My only minor complaint is that
the game seemed to be hinting that the last boss was something other than a walrus. Like maybe a yeti or something. Since his eyes are blue and they kind of go out of their way to hide his face. And I was kind of disappointed that, after World-5 having a distinct narrative of them taking the fruit to make popsicles, the game doesn't have the same type of narrative for DK Island. The snowmads just took over DK Island because they felt like it, I guess? It would have been more fun if they needed DK's bananas for banana smoothies or something. And also, is it implied that the final boss's helmet is evil and controlling the snowmad or something? Why is he constantly scratching at his head, or holding his head and acting like he's in pain?

These are just things that stood out to me. They seem like unfinished ideas. But at the same time, they're vague enough to not be a big deal, and they don't make the game any less amazing.

Probably the best 2d platformer I've played. At least that I've played to completion.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wii U's killer app?

I think so. More so than 3D World.

I mean, there's not a single doubt in my mind that this is a better game than Mario 3D World... and I loved Mario 3D World.

Will it lead to improved sales or any sort of change in the WiiU's reputation? Probably not. But I'm sure as shit glad it got made.

Could you say what specifically you thought got worse about it as it went on?
Level design goes down the pan and the new mechanics are revealed for their half baked application to the gameplay.
Basically Sonic boast these new tricks like parkour which contrary to its naming only really allows him to slowly and stiffly jog a few steps up a wall which could have been neat if there any actual speed and flow to it. They bring back the wisps/colour powers but in a way that barely compliments the level design and did include a heap of forced gyro stuff until Sega patched it because we had to tell them how bad asteroid wisp was.

Level design is caught between a number of spots, it wants to be both Sonic and to an extent 3D Mario, it succeeds at neither with a stilted sense of speed to accommodate the attempt at a stronger platforming focus. 3D levels often make use of cylinders that present a path on both the topside and underside but they come across as so open half the time that there's not really much to contend with. So the game spends much more time in 2D where its parkour and speed focuses are hindered further.
The ice mechanics of world 4 alone would be enough to dismiss it and the level design appears to have run out of tricks at this point with nothing much new to show. It's kind of hard to really explain Lost World, things just start getting noticeably worse at a fast pace and the game is all over the place.

Judging by peoples reactions to it including other Sonic fans the fact that I managed to wrangle some enjoyment out of it is quite the feat, another case where I felt that Sonic Team had their hearts in the right place and then proceeded to fuck it all up because that's kind of their thing.

Give me your copy of Snoic Lost World, because I was bored 5 minutes in and it never grabbed my attention.
The damning thing here is I'm trying to think of a reason as to why it grabbed my attention in the early goings and I'm left at a blank outside of the visual style and music striking a chord, I thought there was potential in the new mechanics!

Sendou

Yeah I got that. How about step 2? I am stuck on a place where I'm hanging onto the wall and a rolling thing attacks me and there doesn't appear to be anyplace to jump... No clue what to do.

Miiverse screenshot might help jog my memory :p Just did that level yesterday so I might have some pro tips for you.

Top Bottom