• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 64 ported to Dreamcast...who say that coming?

VGEsoterica

Doom 64 on N64 was always a fun game if not a little bit hampered by the darkness issue plaguing the game due to a problem with the build. But it was a unique version of Doom and def had its own vibe and charm and while it was re-released recently-ish now a new port from fans brings Doom 64 to Dreamcast...creating Doom 64 DC...and it's maybe now one of the definitive ways to play the game with tons of quality of life improvements and even VMU support with Doom Guys face on the screen showing him taking damage and even his overall health.

Plus it fixes the entire lighting model giving you a way more playable game while still being on a retro console vs a modern PC port. Plus who doesn't love new games coming to Dreamcast

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
"That coming"

But...in all seriousness, looks to be a great port and worth the time to get it on a DC.

Thanks for posting!!

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Keep the Dreamcast ports coming! Love, love, love that DC still has a strong community keeping the scene alive!

dreamcast%20gif.gif

nkarafo

Doom 64 Absolution was great but it miss some graphics effects from Doom 64. The 2020 port is a better way though.
Recent builds of DOOM 64 CE is the best way to play this game. The "faithful preset" is pretty much the same as the official remaster but it has tons of improvements and additions if you want them. Like smooth reload animations for the shotguns, dynamic lighting and even the missing enemies (the Revenant and Archvile).

I used to be very picky about any differences and missing stuff from the original. And older versions did have some annoyances like different lighting in some rooms compared to the original or minor visual glitches here and there. But the last version i played to completion (3.8.1) was pretty much perfect.

Last edited:

mrcroket

Recent builds of DOOM 64 CE is the best way to play this game. The "faithful preset" is pretty much the same as the official remaster but it has tons of improvements and additions if you want them. Like smooth reload animations for the shotguns, dynamic lighting and even the missing enemies (the Revenant and Archvile).

I used to be very picky about any differences and missing stuff from the original. And older versions did have some annoyances like different lighting in some rooms compared to the original or minor visual glitches here and there. But the last version i played to completion (3.8.1) was pretty much perfect.
I need to check it out, it's been years since I've tried any unofficial port of Doom 64 tbh.

Top Bottom