• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Monsters will always aggro if they see you, even if it's from across the map. In addition, they'll chase after you immediately if they hear you shoot your guns (or punch your fist silently, although having your chainsaw idle doesn't aggro).

There's some variation to the sound check; for most monsters, they hear you, they chase you, and that's that. However, if the monster has the "ambush/deaf" flag checked, they'll stay where they are until they see you, such that they can, well, ambush you. That said, once they've heard you, their sight checks change from just in front of them to all around them, so if you try sneaking up behind an otherwise stationary monster that has the ambush flag and secretly heard you earlier, it'll instantly aggro to you.

Another good way to handle pain elementals, should you not have the ability to get up close, is to just stunlock them with the chaingun. It's not perfect but at least the chain gun will halt any lost souls that do get free.

Well fuck. The new Doom preview at Quakecon isn't going to be released online.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/1/5862580/doom-quakecon-2014-exclusive

Someone better leak it, damn it!
Don't sweat it, I think this will be the reason I attend QuakeCon this year. It's only 36 miles from my place, anyway, and Dallas-GAF might do a meet-up there, who knows. I'll have to camp just to make it into the opening ceremonies for the reveal, but that's what GAF browsing's good for.

PEs ain't that difficult to deal with, although they immediately demand attention if you let them produce Lost Souls for too long. Try to get some infighting going between different monster types, that'll solve some of the priority issues.

G-Fex

Ah, that's interesting. I guess you need to either react very quickly or memorize where they're going to be so you can prevent them from spawning lost souls in the first place.

As long as they're not floating far up somewhere like a damn balloon you should be good.

Just do what I do and run right up to them ignoring everyone else.

So I had this idea of designing a wad inspired by (AKA shamelessly ripping off) Dark Souls but it looks like ZDOOM devs are dead set on refusing to add options to customize how saving works. How disappoitning. :(

Raptomex

So I had this idea of designing a wad inspired by (AKA shamelessly ripping off) Dark Souls but it looks like ZDOOM devs are dead set on refusing to add options to customize how saving works. How disappoitning. :(
ManDoom? Not sure if that could be helpful. It disables quicksaves and has permadeath, though. GAF user Tain created it. Not sure if it would be beneficial to you.

If I can figure out how to modify the build to implement the behavior I need, that would be cool. It's different from permadeath though.

I was thinking about what exactly I need and I am thinking of something along this implementation:

- I don't care if you quick save all day, it's loading to undo mistakes that are supposed to be a core part of the gameplay I don't want, so naturally loading while in-game would be disabled.
- I want to somehow lock a player in a single save file to prevent saving at one point as a "backup point", while allowing you to choose which save file that is before you play.

Refyref

Well, Giantbomb showcased this Zandronum/GZDoom mod today, and, uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ

Wow.
Also, I didn't know Zandro/GZDoom mods could apply filters.

If I can figure out how to modify the build to implement the behavior I need, that would be cool. It's different from permadeath though.

I was thinking about what exactly I need and I am thinking of something along this implementation:

- I don't care if you quick save all day, it's loading to undo mistakes that are supposed to be a core part of the gameplay I don't want, so naturally loading while in-game would be disabled.
- I want to somehow lock a player in a single save file to prevent saving at one point as a "backup point", while allowing you to choose which save file that is before you play.

Pretty sure ManDoom does that, but I don't remember, been some time since I looked at it.

Refyref

That Total Chaos thing is still being made?

That's seriously running on a doom sourceport?

Seems like a test version should be out by the end of this year.

And yes, although the ones with an OpenGL renderer. (Zandronum and GZDoom)

G-Fex

I'm not into amnesia/fps horror but I'm really impressed by their work.

I thought the old old video footage was fake.

Refyref

Indeed. I have no idea if I will enjoy it, but I'll be checking it out just because it's impressive, what they did with the engine.

Raptomex

From what I've heard these source port creators aren't too keen on modifying the save function or altering it or some such nonsense. I might have heard something like that on here so I have no sources. I think Tain modified one of the sourceports himself.

G-Fex

jnnRV7d.jpg

Good god WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?

This is map 19 of that nauseating new wad, Doom 2 In name only which is finally on idgames.

Several people had a race today for this wad, almost all of them quit out of frustration before map 10. Yes, even King Dime.

I really need to get a Twitch account to sub to DOOM players like Dime and Tarn.

That map looks ridiculous in its geometry though. Any footage on what it looks like in-game?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
jnnRV7d.jpg

Good god WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?

This is map 19 of that nauseating new wad, Doom 2 In name only which is finally on idgames.

Several people had a race today for this wad, almost all of them quit out of frustration before map 10. Yes, even King Dime.
This. Looks. Amazing. WTF is it? What's it called? I really want to not actually play it because it looks impossible.

G-Fex

ok so I actually did play through it.

I DESPISE D2INO

because the levels are so awful in just every possible way.

HOWEVER

this one wasn't really

it was actually not bad at all and I highly recommend it.

Confusing in some parts mainly the stone hallway maze. IT IS BIG though it's confident despite it's very much backtracking to things.

I recorded it too so I will share it with you guys

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doom 2 In Name Only. I'll have to look that up when I get home. It looks interesting enough to at least clip through with God Mode to look at the architecture.

Should go even further:

- Kappa face slowly turns from greyscale to full color as you die
- DansGame when you get hurt enough for DOOMguy to flinch
- PogChamp for when DOOMguy grins and gets a weapon
- Kreygasm for DOOMguy's O-face

EDIT: Oh, and can't forget DatSheffy for Invulnerability

G-Fex

Should go even further:

- Kappa face slowly turns from greyscale to full color as you die
- DansGame when you get hurt enough for DOOMguy to flinch
- PogChamp for when DOOMguy grins and gets a weapon
- Kreygasm for DOOMguy's O-face

EDIT: Oh, and can't forget DatSheffy for Invulnerability

Great idea! I will bring this up next time I see the guy who made that mod.

So far I can:

- remove quickload from the .ini file
- maybe? remove save and load from the menu (and possibly require a front loader to handle save selection upon startup)

If you're making the mod for a source port that supports MAPINFO, you can indeed have a level exit to (or secret exit to) whatever level you want.

That's basically limited to ZDoom/derivatives and maybe Eternity Engine, but hey.

I am going to design with GZDOOM in mind (only because of one single lighting effect I have in mind) so I do indeed have access to MAPINFO.

With that in mind, are there any limitations and pitfalls I should look out for?

ElTopo

Banned
Has this been linked?

http://youtu.be/OOg0BhlIvyQ

Looks amazing.

Also, Aliens TC is fucking amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpsbX1q6z6U

Moreso if you use the music wad (That replaces the Doom music with the music from Aliens) it gets really intense. The author really outdid himself and it could one of the best Aliens FPS titles ever (Yes, even comparing this to AVP 1 and 2 and Alien Resurrection on Playstation). Only negative things about it are the sprites for the synthetics, the Alien Queen sprite (which was homemade, but I dunno, I think they could have used the sprites from Alien Trilogy or the Jaguar AVP), and the Alien Queen fight being kind of bad.

Total Chaos just looks boring to me. Don't care if it's impressive for the engine, it's still basic geometry smeared over with nice SFX. Like Aeons of Death, but for the Slender people.

Refyref

Total Chaos just looks boring to me. Don't care if it's impressive for the engine, it's still basic geometry smeared over with nice SFX. Like Aeons of Death, but for the Slender people.

I don't think I'd like Total Chaos' gameplay, but I'm pretty sure that's not why AoD is so hated. At least not for me. AoD was way too bloated to the point of throwing everything possible into it and not bothering to organize it. TC just looks like a different kind of game than most Doom mods, what with not focusing on the combat.

Raptomex

Total Chaos is impressive but that video didn't seem very exciting. Inspired by STALKER which isn't a bad thing but I'd like to see some action.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Has this been linked?

http://youtu.be/OOg0BhlIvyQ

Looks amazing.
Looks like it could be a good game if it weren't just another boring brown Zombie shooter.

I played this as a teen way back when it took a few minutes just to download the ZIP file with the mod in it.

I don't know what effects are being applied to the sky texture in that video, but it's terrible. It's worse than using that option on some HDTVs that stretches the edges of 4:3 content to make it fit the screen without stretching the middle. That shit's gonna look terribly noticeable when panning a camera. Just display it 1:1! But kudos at least for not turning on texture filtering for the textures.

lazygecko

There was another megawad which had those insanely fleshed out types of maps. Shit looked like fractal art while you were zooming out on the automap. Wish I could remember what it was called.

I've been digging through ZDOOM's wiki for information on keys, and while I know that their default behavior is to be removed from your inventory when starting a new level, but I can't find any scripting that dictates this behavior.

Refyref

I've been digging through ZDOOM's wiki for information on keys, and while I know that their default behavior is to be removed from your inventory when starting a new level, but I can't find any scripting that dictates this behavior.

Since you're already using a ZDoom based port, you could try using the item inventory instead. The "INVENTORY.PERSISTENTPOWER" flag makes an item exist even after a level change.

FIRBLU texture (that one that kills streams) reminds me of my avatar.

I'm not going to lie, I dig the red/blue aesthetic and it looks so weird.

Top Bottom