• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

I got to get mapping one day. Do a terrible map that Tarnsman can play.
Start off a troll map with textures that are easy to look at, until at one point you get to an elevator lined entirely with FIRBLU, forcing the player to stare at the texture for a long time waiting for the elevator to finish.

G-Fex

Start off a troll map with textures that are easy to look at, until at one point you get to an elevator lined entirely with FIRBLU, forcing the player to stare at the texture for a long time waiting for the elevator to finish.

great idea!

look out swood.wad

Ixion

So I've tried a few times now to get Doom 64 EX to work, but after looking closer at the website's FAQ, it looks like it doesn't work on Mac OS? I'd have to download windows? Let me know if I'm mistaken.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I've tried a few times now to get Doom 64 EX to work, but after looking closer at the website's FAQ, it looks like it doesn't work on Mac OS? I'd have to download windows? Let me know if I'm mistaken.
This is correct. But if you have a modern Mac, and Parallels, it runs perfectly well in a virtual machine. (I've run it on my 2011 MacBook Air with the HD3000 and it ran smooth enough to use.

Sucks I know. I wish they'd merge its code into ZDoom and GZDoom so I can just have one engine already. I mean G/ZDoom already runs Strife and every other DOOM clone out there.

G-Fex

Yeah I was talking to Kaiser tonight (who worked on Doom 64 EX)

Seems that the Turok 64 EX project is on hold for Doom 64 3.0v

lazygecko

I need help remembering the name of a megawad I tried once. It was almost exclusively a sort of industrial space station setting I think. Custom map texture sets with a very dark tone to it. Some maps had animated LCD displays with scrolling red text.

Ixion

Since we don't have an official Quake thread (if I'm not mistaken), I figured I'd ask this in here.

Where can I buy/acquire the entirety of Quake 1 for Mac? Do I have to buy the disc version off Amazon, or can I download it somewhere? I don't think the Steam version works for Mac.

I had it for PC back in the dizzay, but now I'm a Mac pleb.

Since we don't have an official Quake thread (if I'm not mistaken), I figured I'd ask this in here.

Where can I buy/acquire the entirety of Quake 1 for Mac? Do I have to buy the disc version off Amazon, or can I download it somewhere? I don't think the Steam version works for Mac.

I'm using DarkPlaces.

I only have a PC disc and it worked fine.

I'm using DarkPlaces.

I only have a PC disc and it worked fine.

Ixion

You could just buy it on Steam if you want, since all you need is the data files and whatever source port you want.

So if I have the PC version of a game, I just need to get the WAD file and use it in a source port? Even if I have a Mac?

Good shit. I'll give that a try.

/pleb

Refyref

So if I have the PC version of a game, I just need to get the WAD file and use it in a source port? Even if I have a Mac?

Good shit. I'll give that a try.

/pleb

WAD files are what Doom uses. Quake's equivalent is is .PAK files. But you're right about the rest. You just need the PAK files from any Quake installation, and just use them in a source port of your choice.

Refyref

I've never really messed much with Quake source ports. Only homebrew ones to other devices and, for an old laptop I had once, DirectQ, which is a DirectX port of Quake, since it wasn't powerful enough to run GL-based ports (of both Doom and Quake).

Ixion

I just bought Quake on Steam, but I'm not able to install it, since it's only for Windows. How do I access the PAK files?

EDIT: I just pirated the Mac version. Whatev, I own the game now, so fuck it.

SHL23

Banned
just got a big box copy of ultimate doom to go with my big box doom 2. now i gotta find final doom and ill be happy

lazygecko

Time for some wad spotlights

First up is Demons of Problematique. This one is made up of 3-4 or so extensive maps which you seamlessly transition between with no intermission screens or anything, making it feel like one huge dungeon crawl. It makes extensive use of the red fire & brimstone textures with very filled out and detailed architecture/geometry which creates some masterful atmosphere. Ammo is also pretty tight throughout most of the wad which adds to the suspense. I had to search around a good bit to find a backpack to increase my carried ammo. There is also a sequel which I haven't beaten yet. It seems to take a lot of ques from Quake as well as textures from Hexen/Heretic. The level design is also more advanced with floors above over floors (which I guess adds to the Quake feel).

Next is Unloved. This is probably as close as you'll get to Doom as survival horror. Takes a lot of inspiration from Silent Hill. A small gloomy hotel serves as a hub level and provides a very Metroidvania-esque progression with lots of backtracking as you transition between the hotel and some nightmarish twisted alternate reality. The level design is sprawling, claustrophobic and real creepy with some of the most unique texturework seen in a Doom wad.

Icefire1424

Okay, so since I haven't been able to figure it out on my own (and admittedly, am too lazy to look it up), does "wad" actually stand for something?

G-Fex

You know guys

YOU KNOW GUYS

YOU KNOW GUYS

I really wish people would follow examples of smaller mapsets rather than megawads.

There can be SO MUCH GOOD in smaller amount of mapsets rather than forcing and putting tons of filler and only so few good ideas into 32 maps just to make it a megawad.

Kuchitsu is a great example.

I learned one thing from King Dime today: don't make corridor shooters in an android editor.

I'm guessing that's not a good idea in a Windows editor either.

G-Fex

ps6W2kj.png

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM [/Tarnsman]

This is so good

Ixion

I saw that a couple weeks ago, but I figured it would help to not post it here. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

But yeah, he's clearly just trying to drum up controversy in order to increase the fame of his mod.

Top Bottom