• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

abracadaver

the 3D mode in doomsday is pretty good. it even has oculus rift support wow

How do I get the xbox 360 pad to work with doomsday ? I want it to control like the XBLA versions

Decado

So what versions of DOOM do I need to play the best mods?

Ultimate DOOM and DOOM 3, I suspect, but are the others (DOOM II, FINAL DOOM, DOOM 3 BFG etc.) needed for anything significant?

(Steam sale on now)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Purchase all the DOOM you can, download them to get their WAD files and install GZDoom. At least that's my choice. Then tweak to your hearts content. But turn off any texture filtering because that shit is ugly as sin.

Decado

Purchase all the DOOM you can, download them to get their WAD files and install GZDoom. At least that's my choice. Then tweak to your hearts content. But turn off any texture filtering because that shit is ugly as sin.

So DOOM Classic Complete and DOOM 3 (regular edition)?

Recently replayed Doom and Doom II on PS3 from BFG Edition. Had a blast :D

Next time I want to return to Final Doom. I'm gonna play PS1 version via emulator because I want to hear again all the great soundwork it has.

Doom 3 BFG daily's the best offer you're going to get for OG Doom IWADs. Heretic and Hexen ain't ever going on sale at this rate, and Strife is probably abandonware.

finley83

Banned
So what versions of DOOM do I need to play the best mods?

Ultimate DOOM and DOOM 3, I suspect, but are the others (DOOM II, FINAL DOOM, DOOM 3 BFG etc.) needed for anything significant?

(Steam sale on now)

Doom 2 added a load of new monsters and the Super Shotgun, and about 90% of the best user maps out there need it for that reason. Not a lot of great stuff for Doom 3, the notable stuff like Dark Mod is going standalone now anyway.

GooeyHeat

Doom 3 BFG daily's the best offer you're going to get for OG Doom IWADs. Heretic and Hexen ain't ever going on sale at this rate, and Strife is probably abandonware.
I think the secret levels in the Doom 2 IWADs in the BFG Edition are censored (spoilers for old-as-dirt game)
the Nazis and related imagery were replaced with generic stuff
, so you might want to avoid them.

I think the secret levels in the Doom 2 IWADs in the BFG Edition are censored (spoilers for old-as-dirt game)
the Nazis and related imagery were replaced with generic stuff
, so you might want to avoid them.
Yeah, now I remember. But I'd just play Wolfenstein 3D if I wanted Nazis, not the secret maps.

Decado

Doom 2 added a load of new monsters and the Super Shotgun, and about 90% of the best user maps out there need it for that reason. Not a lot of great stuff for Doom 3, the notable stuff like Dark Mod is going standalone now anyway.

Does Brutal DOOM encompass DOOM 2?

Yeah, now I remember. But I'd just play Wolfenstein 3D if I wanted Nazis, not the secret maps.

I don't think anybody actually cares about the maps themselves, but it causes version disparity between the userbase. I don't even know if multiplayer is possible between different versions or if it breaks certain mods, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

SHL23

Banned
just buy doom classic complete. bfg wads are censored and you don't get final doom. plus doom 3 sucks anyways

just buy doom classic complete. bfg wads are censored and you don't get final doom. plus doom 3 sucks anyways

20120517023320!Switchblade.gif

lol. I don't know what this means or its significance...
Original Doom games. IWAD refers to stuff like Doom, Heretic, Strife, etc.

Also, Brutal Doom is a mod built for ZDoom-based source ports, it doesn't encompass the Doom II IWAD. For that matter, don't buy Doom games to play Brutal Doom, because the originals play very well in ways different and more appreciable compared to modern-day shooters.

GooeyHeat

I don't think anybody actually cares about the maps themselves, but it causes version disparity between the userbase. I don't even know if multiplayer is possible between different versions or if it breaks certain mods, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
I'm pretty sure that the S.S. enemies are flat-out missing from the game in the BFG edition, so that would probably cause problems.
lol. I don't know what this means or its significance...
The "IWADs" are the .wad files, like Doom.wad and Doom2.wad, that contain all of the graphics, level data, weapons, etc. in the game. These are the only parts of Doom that you technically have to pay for, since the engine is open-source and there's many different versions of it available for free.
IWADs are labeled as such to be differentiated from "PWADs", which contain add-on content like new levels or graphics. You need the Doom 2 IWAD to play the vast majority of Doom-related unofficial content, and you might as well pick up the original as well, since it has really good levels.

Wookieomg

Is it worth it to get both Doom Classic Complete and Doom 3 BFG Edition? I want all of them, and this sale is as good a time as any. There's some overlap between the two packs, but each has things the other doesn't. :/ Or is there a better way to go about getting all of them?

Edit: Read some of the previous posts and decided to just pick up both. :)

So, having a bit of a problem with Doom 3, i and hoped you guys could help me:
Bought Doom 3(not BFG) and installed Sikkmod. if i enable SSAO, i get some wierd black band across the screen, as if the SSAO is not ben rendered on the world correctly. Any fix for this?
EDIT: now this is bizarre. i tried re-installing(just dropped the same files) and the problems are gone. wtf

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it worth it to get both Doom Classic Complete and Doom 3 BFG Edition? I want all of them, and this sale is as good a time as any. There's some overlap between the two packs, but each has things the other doesn't. :/ Or is there a better way to go about getting all of them?

Edit: Read some of the previous posts and decided to just pick up both. :)
Yeah, the DOOM WADs that come with DOOM 3 are censored. It's better to get the original DOSBox versions for use in modern source ports. Though I'm not sure if any of them are censored too. I have all of them from my own CDs. The only one I never owned back in the day was Death Kings of the Dark Citadel.

Refyref

The only problem with the "censored" classic IWADs in Doom 3 BFG is that you won't be able to play multiplayer with people using the normal versions, since they aren't identical. Otherwise, there's no difference in playing the game. You can still use the BFG version with source ports.

abracadaver

the games are so cheap right now just buy them all:

Doom Classic Complete: 3.74 $
Doom 3 Pack: 3:24$
Doom 3 BFG: 4.99$

I think OG Doom 3 looks a bit better (imp fireballs cast shadows, more pronounced flashlight shadows) and has all the mods but BFG Doom 3 has achievements, xbox controller support and can be played in 3D

Refyref

I think without mods I'd give BFG the edge in visuals, but there's not too much difference save for the game's brightness. Of course, the original Doom 3 has mods in quite a few departments. But BFG also has some more levels, including a nice dose of Hell levels, which is neat. It's also the only way to get No Rest for the Living on PC.

Levyne

Banned
Yep, the last two levels of the BFG edition has some nice Hell in it. It's a shame it's still only about 90 minutes worth iirc.

Edit: The final level of No Rest for the Living was so ridiculous, haha. Like a bad user mod.

Yeah, the DOOM WADs that come with DOOM 3 are censored. It's better to get the original DOSBox versions for use in modern source ports. Though I'm not sure if any of them are censored too.

I don't think they're really "censored" per se; it's just a different logo on the Stimpacks, isn't it? I could be wrong.

I don't think they're really "censored" per se; it's just a different logo on the Stimpacks, isn't it? I could be wrong.
They completely butchered the Wolfenstein bonus stages, too. Every SS is replaced with four zombiemen in a square formation, all of the decorations have been taken down, both stages use the same music ("DOOM", from MAP05 and MAP13, which is honestly a little too slow-paced for either map), the map names were changed to "IDKFA" and "KEEN"... not that the Wolfenstein stages were ever amazing, but I'm not really a fan of completely butchering everyone's copy just because Germany, and more-or-less only Germany, (totally understandably) refuses to allow such content to be sold.

Like, you could've left the music in (it's not Nazi-related at all, no "Horst Wessel Lied" in those two), as well as kept the enemies but changed what they said (use SNES Wolfenstein sounds, I dunno), so it plays the same...

G-Fex

I think I'm going to re-try Firetop Mountain v.2

it's a single map but a huge one, with a lot of enemies. starting from the huge forest to the top of the volcano/mountain.

They completely butchered the Wolfenstein bonus stages, too. Every SS is replaced with four zombiemen in a square formation, all of the decorations have been taken down, both stages use the same music ("DOOM", from MAP05 and MAP13, which is honestly a little too slow-paced for either map), the map names were changed to "IDKFA" and "KEEN"... not that the Wolfenstein stages were ever amazing, but I'm not really a fan of completely butchering everyone's copy just because Germany, and more-or-less only Germany, (totally understandably) refuses to allow such content to be sold.

Like, you could've left the music in (it's not Nazi-related at all, no "Horst Wessel Lied" in those two), as well as kept the enemies but changed what they said (use SNES Wolfenstein sounds, I dunno), so it plays the same...

Ah, yes, of course! I'd totally forgotten about that. My mistake.

I think I'm going to re-try Firetop Mountain v.2

it's a single map but a huge one, with a lot of enemies. starting from the huge forest to the top of the volcano/mountain.

Fighting Fantasy references are awesome.

I'm hearing interesting things about Flashback to Hell, which I grabbed after seeing it get a good rating in #newstuff. The WAD's premise? UAC sends Doomguy back in time to the point when Hell began its invasion of Earth...but this time they've gotta deal with you! It's apparently pretty linear, but filled with great shootan.

G-Fex

So I finished the single map wad today, Firetop Mountain. Pretty fun but a gauntlet to go through. But once you know what to do I imagine it's quick and fun to play through.k

G-Fex

So basically I'm going through the list of the supposed best single player wads of 2013 leading up to and ending at July

I've finished 3 of them so far.

It's going to take forever cause next one on the list is a 32 map megawad ;-;

I've uploaded the 3 so far to my youtube.

Also I'll probably try to play through doom 32x :p

Frenden

Banned
So basically I'm going through the list of the supposed best single player wads of 2013 leading up to and ending at July

I've finished 3 of them so far.

It's going to take forever cause next one on the list is a 32 map megawad ;-;

I've uploaded the 3 so far to my youtube.

Also I'll probably try to play through doom 32x :p

Link to your YouTube?

G-Fex

Link to your YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/user/slashbane

I've only got 3 so far.

4 shortly with the upload of Hell Awakened part 1 which covers the first 9 maps.

it's going to take me a while to get through that cause it's a megawad so a full 32 maps.

I thought trooper bunker was pretty damn trippy with it's instantaneous transforming rooms which really made me do double takes. Took me forever to get through those maps.

Raptomex

I took some screens from the test version of Brutal Doom 2.0. The HUD and crosshair are other mods. Tons of new little things. I think the shotgun's firing sound is slightly different, the new blood effects are pretty great, some new skins like the rocket launcher and updated versions of old skins, the new chainsaw is pretty cool but it has "ammo" now from what I can see which I don't care for, the alt fire for the minigun now fires and you move the minigun left to right so it's like you're spraying. I can't wait for the full version.

Ixion

Console gamer checking in.

I'm interested in trying out Brutal Doom, but I haven't gamed on my computer since Quake III Arena came out.

I have a Mac and I currently don't have a Mac copy of Doom. Where's the best place to buy/download Doom and then Brutal Doom?

All you need are the IWAD files if you want to play on an OSX-compatible source port (which means most of them, including Chocolate Doom and GZDoom). Get the games from Steam or some other distributor (Steam sale's about to happen, get a good deal!), extract the IWADs from wherever you install the file directory on your drive, follow the pathing instructions for GZDoom (since you're aiming to play Brutal Doom), then download the BD PWAD and load it through GZDoom with the Doom 2 IWAD. It's easier than it at first seems; make sure you build a content folder for GZDoom in Application Support in either your user or system Libraries, too.

Ixion

All you need are the IWAD files if you want to play on an OSX-compatible source port (which means most of them, including Chocolate Doom and GZDoom). Get the games from Steam or some other distributor (Steam sale's about to happen, get a good deal!), extract the IWADs from wherever you install the file directory on your drive, follow the pathing instructions for GZDoom (since you're aiming to play Brutal Doom), then download the BD PWAD and load it through GZDoom with the Doom 2 IWAD. It's easier than it at first seems; make sure you build a content folder for GZDoom in Application Support in either your user or system Libraries, too.

OK, I followed the instructions in the FAQ, but it doesn't seem to work. Here's what I did:

1) I obtained the DOOM.WAD file
2) I downloaded the Mac version of GZDoom from here
3) I put the DOOM.WAD file into the GZDoom source folder (Library -> Application Support -> GZDoom)
4) I downloaded Brutal Doom from here
5) I made a "Skins" folder in the GZDoom source folder and put the brutal19.pk3 file inside the "Skins" folder

But when I start the game up, it's still regular ol' Doom. What did I miss?

Why would you set Brutal Doom to load up every time you play Doom ever? Just drag it onto the EXE with whatever PWAD you wanted to use (provided the PWAD is actually compatible with Brutal Doom, since a fair few won't be). It'll work then.

Top Bottom