• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Ixion

Why would you set Brutal Doom to load up every time you play Doom ever? Just drag it onto the EXE with whatever PWAD you wanted to use (provided the PWAD is actually compatible with Brutal Doom, since a fair few won't be). It'll work then.

I'm a console pleb. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Where is the "EXE" and "PWAD"?

Ah. Well, let me get you caught up on terminology, then.

An "EXE" is shorthand for executable, taken from the standard filename extension that's been in use since the MS-DOS days (".exe"). In this case, the executable you're running is gzdoom.exe - it's the one with the icon of the Doomguy facing forward.

Related to file extesnsions, Doom stores all of its files in ".wad" files. Of these WADs, there are two types: IWADs and PWADs. IWADs are the WADs that contain the game data proper - doom.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad, etc - the ones that come with the game. PWADs are fanmade patch WADs containing custom content. If you've ever downloaded a mapset or a mod that turns all the demons into Barney the Dinosaur, those are PWADs.

Now, technically, ZDoom (and its child source ports, including GZDoom) actually support file formats other than the WAD format; they also support ZIP files, the extension of which can either be ".zip" (of course) or ".pk3" (kind of a Quake-ism, but still). It also supports 7zip compression; mods with that level of compression will end with ".pk7".

Now, with all that out of the way, what I'm suggesting you do is you take brutal19.pk3 and drag it onto gzdoom.exe. Say you wanted to play a custom mapset at the same time, like Alien Vendetta (av.wad); you would select both av.wad and brutal19.pk3 and drag both onto gzdoom.exe. If you wanted to try Alien Vendetta without Brutal Doom, you would just drag av.wad onto gzdoom.exe. Makes sense, right?

I'm admittedly a bit of a curmudgeon, but the "put it in your skins folder" method forces Brutal Doom to be loaded no matter what you're playing, and that can cause problems when map sets don't work with it (either they modify the same objects, causing conflicting definitions and unpredictable behavior, or they're simply not balanced correctly with the mod) or you wanted to try another gameplay mod entirely (can't really run two of those at once, generally speaking). In those cases, you'd want to try 'em without Brutal Doom, but if it's forcing itself to load every time, you wouldn't be able to do so. You're welcome to continue with making it load every time if you really want to - it'd save you having to drag it onto the EXE, I suppose - I just don't recommend it.

Ixion

Thanks so much for the rundown! I just dragged the Brutal Doom pk3 file onto the GZDoom application icon, and it worked.

One more question though. I also downloaded the metal remixes mod, and when I drag that file onto the EXE by itself, it works. But when I drag both that file and the Brutal Doom file together, only Brutal Doom works. How do I get both to work at the same time?

EDIT: Never mind. I tried dragging them together again, and it worked. Good stuff.

G-Fex

That's aaaaaaaaaaall you do is drag stuff to other stuff.

if you want to do more technical stuff try downloading that ZDL loader thing. Look to the first page for it.

Ixion

Another dumb question from a pleb:

Can Doom and Brutal Doom be played with a gamepad? I'm not a huge fan of keyboard and mouse controls.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Another dumb question from a pleb:

Can Doom and Brutal Doom be played with a gamepad? I'm not a huge fan of keyboard and mouse controls.
I guess it depends on the source port you use. I personally have never been able to get my Xbox controller working correctly in ZDoom or GZDoom. The stick is always incorrectly aligned and I couldn't get it to work right. I'm on OS X too. I think it's the driver. There's no way to set a "dead zone" for the stick so even if it's .00001 to the left it'll still register as left.

Frankly it's not worth the trouble for me and I prefer keyboard and trackpad on OS X.
Yes, you read that right.

Ixion

Yeah, I was just reading up on it, and it seems like a hassle. I guess I'll just buy a good mouse (my current mouse sucks and goes haywire every 30 seconds or so).

I just really want to sit down in front of my TV with a gamepad and play through Doom 1 and Doom 2 with Brutal Doom. Ah well. I guess I'll just stick to the BFG Edition for that...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I was just reading up on it, and it seems like a hassle. I guess I'll just buy a good mouse (my current mouse sucks and goes haywire every 30 seconds or so).

I just really want to sit down in front of my TV with a gamepad and play through Doom 1 and Doom 2 with Brutal Doom. Ah well. I guess I'll just stick to the BFG Edition for that...
Yeah. I remember the days of having my Xbox and playing FPS games with a controller.

Now-a-days I just prefer to sit at my laptop and use my keyboard and trackpad. I find it so much easier than when I had a controller. For both first- and third-person games. The Magic Trackpad really does work well. I use arrow keys for movement and strafing and trackpad for turning and looking. Click for shoot. Space is still within reach for using. It works with some keyboard reconfiguring and people like to call me crazy for attempting such a thing instead of using a mouse like a "normal" PC gamer.

I can't stand using a mouse. I'd rather go back to a controller than try to use a mouse. But a Magic Trackpad, well if it were any other trackpad I wouldn't bother. But this Magic Trackpad is something else.

Ixion

After beating the first two episodes of Brutal Doom, one cool improvement I want to mention is the dismemberment of the Cacodemon. It felt really satisfying to see a chunk of him blown off with my shotgun.

In the original Doom, the enemies simply grunt when you shoot them, until they die. But for Doom 4, I really hope we're able to dismember and blow chunks off the more powerful enemies while they're still alive.

Since it will take multiple shots to kill the more powerful enemies (unless you're using a BFG), those encounters would be more satisfying if you saw the effect of each blast. Shoot an imp with a shotgun? It's satisfying because he gets blown away in one shot. Shoot a baron of hell with a shotgun? It's satisfying, because his left thigh gets blown off (even though he's still coming at you).

I feel that would be an exciting progression for the series.

I managed to go twenty years without ever playing Doom somehow. After owning it on Steam for a year and not touching it, I've finally started playing it through Chocolate Doom. I wasn't that into it at first, but once I started taking my deaths instead of reloading saves from the beginning of the mission when I died, it started getting pretty badass, and when I jumped up, and once I set the difficulty to ultra-violence at episode 3, I really got why this game is such a classic. It's super intense, perfectly paced, and has great stage design.

Right now, I'm in episode 4, trying to make my way through mission 2. This is such a hectic and badass (and brutal) stage; I love it. I got super close on my last try, but made a bad move near what I guess was the end and got cornered by a wave of cacodemons. After I beat this, I'm definitely going to replay the first two episodes on ultra-violence and get Doom 2. Brutal Doom seems like it might be appealing too.

Yeah, it's been due for a while. Ever since I saw Peaches__ speedrun Doom 64 (something else I may have to get down the line), I knew I had to play these eventually.

Raptomex

I played it with a controller once at my friends house and it was a simple set up. Easy to use. We were using 360 controllers. It was pretty awesome.

I don't know if you tried any mutators or mods for Brutal Doom but if you haven't, you should.

My advice: roll through Doom 2, maybe dip your feet into Evilution and see if you're interested (there's equally good megawads from that era, like Memento Mori), but make sure you hunker down on Plutonia. It's still surprisingly great both as a challenge (I beat it on UV, not pretty!) and as an exercise in tricky mapping.

Ixion

I played it with a controller once at my friends house and it was a simple set up. Easy to use. We were using 360 controllers. It was pretty awesome.

Yeah, I may end up trying it at some point, but I already bought a decent gaming mouse. I've gotten more used to using a keyboard & mouse, so I should be good for now.

With that said, I do think that an analog stick is more intuitive for strafing than the WASD keys. But aiming is probably easier with a mouse.

I don't know if you tried any mutators or mods for Brutal Doom but if you haven't, you should.

All I've been using is Brutal Doom + Metal Remixes + Hi-Res Texture Pack.

I beat DOOM 1 and now I'm in the second half of DOOM 2, so I'll probably just finish the game with my current set-up. I figured my set-up covers the gameplay, music, and visuals, but is there anything you think is important or interesting?

I'm actually replaying Doom 2 keyboard-only, since I first did it with kb-mouse controls. Still really like this game, even if the maps and level progression are both better in the original.

Raptomex

Yeah, I may end up trying it at some point, but I already bought a decent gaming mouse. I've gotten more used to using a keyboard & mouse, so I should be good for now.

With that said, I do think that an analog stick is more intuitive for strafing than the WASD keys. But aiming is probably easier with a mouse.

I beat DOOM 1 and now I'm in the second half of DOOM 2, so I'll probably just finish the game with my current set-up. I figured my set-up covers the gameplay, music, and visuals, but is there anything you think is important or interesting?
Depends what you like, really. Theres a bunch of good ones up on the BD moddb page. You can find weapon replacements, huds, etc. Quaker and Painkiller is a good mod. A bit more challenging, too.

Ixion

Depends what you like, really. Theres a bunch of good ones up in the BD moddb page. You can find weapon replacements, huds, etc. Quaker and Painkiller is a good mod. A bit more challenging, too.

I guess there are two mods I'd be curious to try (if they exist):

1) Is there a mod that adds the double-barrel shotgun to DOOM 1?

2) Is there a mod that replaces the soundtrack with dark ambient music? I could always just turn off the music and throw on Lustmord (which I've done before), but I'm just curious.

The metal remixes are really cool and it helps emphasize the action side of DOOM, but I'm curious to try DOOM as more of a horror experience, just for shits 'n giggles.

I don't doubt there is. ZDoom uses the same object definitions between the four Doom IWADs, but the graphics don't exist in The Ultimate Doom. You'd need a mod that replaces existing objects with the SSG, though - maybe the original shotgun, maybe Partial Invisibility, I dunno.

2) Is there a mod that replaces the soundtrack with dark ambient music? I could always just turn off the music and throw on Lustmord (which I've done before), but I'm just curious.
I'm sure somebody's put Aubrey Hodges's various soundtracks for the console versions of Doom (and N64 version of Quake) into a WAD somewhere.

Gattsu25

Banned

You should check out Hexen. It won't be compatible with Brutal Doom but it's a good game. A bit of a melee/shooter fantasy FPS.

I'm sure somebody's put Aubrey Hodges's various soundtracks for the console versions of Doom (and N64 version of Quake) into a WAD somewhere.
There's a TC (total conversion) that changes the game into the PSX version of Doom: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/57957-psx-doom-final-doom-tc-version-2-1-now-released/

New sound effects, colored lighting, altered level geometry, ambient music, and all

I guess there are two mods I'd be curious to try (if they exist):

The metal remixes are really cool and it helps emphasize the action side of DOOM, but I'm curious to try DOOM as more of a horror experience, just for shits 'n giggles.

You might check out the PSX version of DOOM, which not only lets you use Super SHotgun with cheats, but provides a darker atmosphere with ambient music (which is excellent in its own right), and even throws in some DOOM 2 enemies in DOOM 1 levels.

G-Fex

Yeah Doom 2 enemies in Doom 1 with UV difficulty (there's no nightmare)

It's not as cool as you think cause there's no SSG.

SSG really balances things out in Doom 2

Ixion

You should check out Hexen. It won't be compatible with Brutal Doom but it's a good game. A bit of a melee/shooter fantasy FPS.

Yeah, I already have the WADs for Heretic and Hexen. I'll probably check those out at some point.

There's a TC (total conversion) that changes the game into the PSX version of Doom: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/57957-psx-doom-final-doom-tc-version-2-1-now-released/

New sound effects, colored lighting, altered level geometry, ambient music, and all

You might check out the PSX version of DOOM, which not only lets you use Super SHotgun with cheats, but provides a darker atmosphere with ambient music (which is excellent in its own right), and even throws in some DOOM 2 enemies in DOOM 1 levels.

Awesome. I'll definitely check that out.

By the way, I actually bought an N64 copy of DOOM 64 off Amazon last week. It looks pretty interesting, but I hope the controls aren't too bad.

That DOOM 4 teaser trailer really got me back into the DOOM mood. Bethesda's marketing department wins this time...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Final DOOM is hard. Extremely hard. Super duper hard. Even on the lowest skill levels.

But it does some pretty interesting visual effects with the engine.

And if you play TNT Evilution, make sure to Google for the patch that fixes the "Pharaoh" secret level. They forgot to flag the yellow key for single-player.

G-Fex

Might have to use lots of saving and reloading for Plutonia if you're like me. That's how I played through it.

Plutonia is several hours too long to be an arcade game (so no 1CC), but too short to justify that much saving. I'd recommend pistol-starting every time you die, since that forces you to relearn parts of the map you barreled through on continuous play.

Just either save at the beginning of every level or in moderation, and it's easy to define moderation in DOOM, either allow yourself a save after getting a key or when you empty and area and are left exploring.

The key thing is to not do stuff like save to be stingy with health and ammo.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Most modern source ports save at the beginning of each level anyway. But I sometimes manually save when finishing a hoard of enemies too.

I generally save in moderation. If I've gotten to the point where I start reloading to save ammo or medikits, then I know I need to pistol-start or redo the WAD.

Refyref

If you're playing a mod, saving at the beginning of each level is important. The original id levels were designed to be doable with a pistol start, no matter the level, but most mods don't have that much consideration in their design.

G-Fex

Plutonia is several hours too long to be an arcade game (so no 1CC), but too short to justify that much saving. I'd recommend pistol-starting every time you die, since that forces you to relearn parts of the map you barreled through on continuous play.

pistol starting in plutonia? With all those hitscanners and revenants? Come on

Ixion

So as I mentioned before, I bought a copy of DOOM 64 off Amazon. Anywho, I played the first five levels and I thought it was quite boring. It's slower, the shooting doesn't feel or look good, and the levels just look plain. And it doesn't help that the N64 controller sucks for FPS games.

SHL23

Banned
So as I mentioned before, I bought a copy of DOOM 64 off Amazon. Anywho, I played the first five levels and I thought it was quite boring. It's slower, the shooting doesn't feel or look good, and the levels just look plain. And it doesn't help that the N64 controller sucks for FPS games.

try doom 64 ex

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What the above person said.

The game plays SO much better with a modern engine. It's a really awesome game. And the levels are much more advanced than any of the other DOOM games.

Download DOOM 64 EX, get yourself a ROM to extract the WAD (Since you own the game now) and play it the way it should be played. It's awesome. And if you're smart enough to find the secret exit on the first level (You won't be though without looking it up because it literally makes you think outside the box in a way DOOM never did) you're in for a treat if you decide to tackle the secret level "Hectic".

G-Fex

so this is a thing lol

59I1dG9.png

XAwSLbD.png

Raptomex

As stated above, play Doom 64 EX.

I couldn't even make it past the 2nd or 3rd level in the Doom II master levels :p

I loved all of the originals tho (up through Final Doom)

I think I still have my original boxes and CD-ROMs B-)

so much fun back then

Refyref

ha

it always made me laugh how all the monsters were just kinda hangin' out until you showed up

the imps kinda do a little moonwalk in place :3

you'd think the pain elemental dude would at least hang out in the corner with his face the other way

Well, Doom monsters just stand in place until they're aware of you. The creator of the map just had them facing backwards so they won't chase you until you're ready, since this is intended as demonstration map, after all. (Although I'm not sure whether demons facing you will be aware if you just loaded a map. As long as you don't go too far, they'll ignore you until you fire. I think.)

Top Bottom