• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Raitaro

Waiting for this game to arrive while reading all these positive comments (despite mainstream outlets not always reflecting these, as could have been expected perhaps...) has made me go down a deep Youtube rabbit hole of watching videos about the old Doom games as well as some of their clones like Heretic and Hexen that I enjoyed so much back in the day.

This hasn't really helped cure my impatience though since I now want to play those originals as well, which I can't due to not having any PC or laptop currently available due to our recent move. On top of that I am now also sad that Raven Software can never give us a new Heretic or Hexen running on id Tech 6 while they are stuck working on CoD for Activision. Just think about how awesome those games would look!

I am also already crossing my fingers for some single player Doom "4" DLC (like a Hell on Earth expansion with levels set on Earth perhaps?) or even a full sequel even when I have not even played this new game yet. Guess the hype got to me good by now.

Let the wait continue...

Edit: bit of a side note to help kill time for me while I wait, but outside of Doom 1 + 2 can I ask which classic 90's (sprite-based) FPS games you guys were most fond of? Any obscure / overlooked ones I should check out?

FrsDvl

I'm really no good with snapmap, I did the tutorials, and it seems easy enough. But I can't make things work the way I want them to 😭

Neiteio

I'm really enjoying Doom so far but I've found myself way too OCD and paranoid about missing secrets/upgrades. Anyone else CONSTANTLY checking their map? Kinda wish I could just blow through it without worrying about missing things
I'll look for all of the secrets on the second play-through.

This first play-through, I'm just whipping through levels without using the map. I discover some secrets this way, and miss others. But it's a lot of fun, and still takes a while to complete each level.

Finally beat it ... holy shit what a ride!

Easily one of the best modern shooters ever made. It stomps all over Wolfenstein: TNO in my opinion, and I thought that game was outstanding.

Lgndryhr

I keep forgetting I have a grenade to use when in combat. I cannot be the only one. I usually just utilize my available arsenal with glory kills.

icespide

Banned
I'll look for all of the secrets on the second play-through.

This first play-through, I'm just whipping through levels without using the map. I discover some secrets this way, and miss others. But it's a lot of fun, and still takes a while to complete each level.

you're not worried that you'll be underpowered near the end?

I keep forgetting I have a grenade to use when in combat. I cannot be the only one. I usually just utilize my available arsenal with glory kills.

I was the same exact way. There are so many tools at your disposal, it's really easy to forget some of them in the heat of battle. I also found myself forgetting about my chainsaw (when low on ammo) as well as some of my alternate weapon abilities.

Lgndryhr

I'm really enjoying Doom so far but I've found myself way too OCD and paranoid about missing secrets/upgrades. Anyone else CONSTANTLY checking their map? Kinda wish I could just blow through it without worrying about missing things

I play through a map and make sure I complete the challenges. Then I check the map and try to find the secrets. I rarely replay any game so trying to do it all in one play through. Found that method to work for me so far.

Woorloog

Banned
OMFG
This fucking game and its challenges. It reset Gore Pinata challenge for VEGA Processing Center. So, Gore Pinata challenge doesn't stay unlocked and Variety is Spice of Death III doesn't register kills...
So annoying.

Lgndryhr

I was the same exact way. There are so many tools at your disposal, it's really easy to forget some of them in the heat of battle. I also found myself forgetting about my chainsaw (when low on ammo) as well as some of my alternate weapon abilities.

I have been lucky I haven't forget the chainsaw, but I rarely need to use it in battle to reload ammo.

Neiteio

you're not worried that you'll be underpowered near the end?
No. And if I find myself in a situation where I feel extra power would help, I can always replay earlier missions (with all of my later upgrades) and find those secrets, and then bring that progress back to the level where I was stuck.

haikira

Currently on mission
_8_
on Ultra--Violence, and there's an encounter kicking my ass. After clearing
a large room with a second floor, you start up an elevator and then two Barons come out
. It's a great encounter, and despite wiping a bunch of times, I loved it, though I wish there was a checkpoint when
you call the lift
, as I got killed right after it.

Though really, I have to echo the general opinion around here. This game is fantastic. It just feels like a joy to play, and it's dumb and smart in all the right places. I've found myself being really excited to get home each night and crack it on.

msv

Is there a way to change crosshairs? Like make em larger, or better colored. Most of my crosshairs are tiny and grey / transparent so I can't see them at all. I have to shoot a few times every time to calibrate, ugh so annoying.

wwm0nkey

Apparently DOOM's launch sales are 67% higher than DOOM 3's sales and was the #2 game in the UK this week. This bodes well for a sequel :)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is there a way to change crosshairs? Like make em larger, or better colored. Most of my crosshairs are tiny and grey / transparent so I can't see them at all. I have to shoot a few times every time to calibrate, ugh so annoying.

There's a setting on console for crosshairs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is the mission where
you go to Hell to close The Well
the last one? Just got to it last night and was curious how much was left.

Truant

It sucks that all the guns aren't available in the campagin. I don't care for multiplayer, but the remaining guns seem kinda cool.

K' Dash

Holy shit, Hell is no joke, I just replayed a fight 9-10 times, the demons just kept coming in more satanic combinations, damn!

Woorloog

Banned
On top of the bugged challenges, i got bugged encounter that doesn't end despite killing everything.
VEGA Central Processing seems to be the only buggy level on the entire game...

The Flash

Banned
Apparently DOOM's launch sales are 67% higher than DOOM 3's sales and was the #2 game in the UK this week. This bodes well for a sequel :)

bw1cvqJ.png

Keikaku

Yeah, you can go back to old missions in the main menu. Upgrades and weapons will even go back with you and any more progress you make will be saved. I even did a lot of the weapon mastery requirements by going back to the first level and just ruining those possessed poor souls' day.

Rich get richer rune with the armor loot drop rune makes game sooo fun
Sweet! Thanks for letting me know :)

Woorloog

Banned
That one was easy. The last one is a bit harder than the rest.

You have 1 hp, a railgun and need to kill 15 demons, including Hell Knight & Pinkie

Easy.

The only ones i found somewhat difficult were the one where you must kill zombies with barrels (i'm too impatient) and the one where you must kill things with a rocket launcher (i kept exploding myself...).

Ok on the level where one of the challenges is to kill a Mancubus with a pistol is that even possible on UltraViolence or higher? The little pea shooter can't even tickle him to death when he's in a downed state. Do I need to fully level it up?

fyi if you down him and glory kill him it doesn't work

Just finished it.

I'll put it all in spoilers but heres what I'm thinking.

Hayden turned out to be evil? Who would have guessed Ultron 0.5 would be evil.
The game is amazing, the lore is interesting and it leaves many questions.

Who where those templars? I figure they are likely an order (of humans?) who aided the Doom Slayer but Still they are interesting.
Who was the Wrecth that gave the Doom Slayer his armor?
What or Who was the Titan of Hell that the Doom Slayer killed?
Does this have any connection to the older games?
How did the Doom Slayer originally get to Hell?
Who was the demon narrator?

The Spider Mastermind came from nowhere, great surprise boss but a little underwhelming considering it's supposed to be crazy intelligent, It seems to have Zero impact on anything. I assume pierce(?) was under it's control but that isn't said anywhere as far as I can see.

No Red Keys/skulls in Hell felt Super strange.

The last level was kind of a drag, The combat is great but it was basically 3 waves of the same in different locations, Not areally bad and Enviroments are nice enough but a little repetetive and a little bland.

Not getting to fight the Baalgar might be the biggest missed oppotunity but they have to leave something cool for the sequel I suppose. Baalgar + Icon of Sin + Demon Hayden + Archviles + Arachnotrons + Guardian of Hell + Maledict. Plenty of scope for expansion in a sequel

I think the sequel will be Doom Slayer getting back to earth, Rebooting Vega with the backup and trying to stop Hayden who becomes more and more demonic over time.

Overall I really really enjoyed it. The monster redesigns felt just right, The Enviroments where stunning. The soundtrack rocked and The gameplay was perfect.

Really sucks when you're in middle of the flow killing fucking demon's left and right in Hell and then the game decides to crash. That's it for today.

Top Bottom