• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Momentary

Banned
I would pay $20 USD for more single player expansion. I think it's pretty dumb that the "season pass" is only MP content.

I'd be really surprised if there's an FPS this year with a better single player experience. Probably Shadow Warrior II.

You are an eldritch god awakened from your sarcophagus to press cancel on an unsafe demonic invasion warning.

The intro to this game was the hypest thing I've seen since the music kicking in when taking down the first boss of Metal Gear Rising.

BRB. I'm going to play the intro of the game again.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Doom has a story?

this type of comment is kind of insulting to the writers who obviously didnt have the easiest of times taking Doom and trying to make it play in modern times. I think they did a fantastic job with this. I mean its not self serious, its minimalist, the whole concept of being the DOOM GUY cultists worship is like, such a great funny concept. Its definitely an underappreciated aspect of this game. Story never gets in the way of the game being badass but also frames everything with the right tone.

That ign review on youtube is over 7,200 dislikes now. Holy shit, lol.

this whole thing has been an interesting look at what happens without day 1 reviews. Everyone felt like they were coming into it blind and were surprised by how good it was, and now feel invested in shunning the critics that dont like it after the fact.

If 90% of people are saying this game is amazing and ign gives it a lower score than just about everyone else would, then of course they're gonna disagree with the video.

Just goes to show how little these review sites actually mean. Plus those dislikes are gonna help stop people turning away from the game which means it will hopefully sell well and we get a sequel.

Aselith

Plus those dislikes are gonna help stop people turning away from the game

mXyupD1.gif

Just finished the single player
My thoughts:
-Amazing gameplay. You can do amazing things once you get upgraded (fully upgraded super shotgun really needs a nerf though. You can just combine it with grenades a rip through everything). Also using Berzerk and going rip and tear on a mob of powerful enemies is the most insane thing you will every do in a game.
-Really nice old-school level design. I turned off objective markers and the compass and it really felt like playing old Doom. Getting lost and finding your way again, finding secrets its all there. I wish they had gone even more complex though(more than two security clearances)
-The story is really forgettable. The only interesting thing is your main characters passive-agressive indifference about it. The lore behind the story sounds intriguing though. I want to read more about it.
-Very good music and graphics. It just looks and sounds how you expect a 2016 reimagining of Doom to look like.
Overall the single-player is really worth its price of admission alone.
I will propably try the other modes tommorrow.

this type of comment is kind of insulting to the writers who obviously didnt have the easiest of times taking Doom and trying to make it play in modern times. I think they did a fantastic job with this. I mean its not self serious, its minimalist, the whole concept of being the DOOM GUY cultists worship is like, such a great funny concept. Its definitely an underappreciated aspect of this game. Story never gets in the way of the game being badass but also frames everything with the right tone.

this whole thing has been an interesting look at what happens without day 1 reviews. Everyone felt like they were coming into it blind and were surprised by how good it was, and now feel invested in shunning the critics that dont like it after the fact.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203806854&postcount=757

I'm finding it pretty hard to be sympathetic.

The Flash

Banned
If 90% of people are saying this game is amazing and ign gives it a lower score than just about everyone else would, then of course they're gonna disagree with the video.

Just goes to show how little these review sites actually mean. Plus those dislikes are gonna help stop people turning away from the game which means it will hopefully sell well and we get a sequel.

The game is still the number 1 top seller on Steam right now and it apparently sold well in the UK. We'll have a better grasp of how well the game has sold in a few days I think.

So it's an ok game huh?

Maybe

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1219611

Grief.exe

I would pay $20 USD for more single player expansion. I think it's pretty dumb that the "season pass" is only MP content.

I'd be really surprised if there's an FPS this year with a better single player experience. Probably Shadow Warrior II.

Shadow Warrior II and Doom are about it for the year I think.

IGN's main demographic is also mainstream gamers, which a gameplay-focussed game like Doom would not generally appeal to.

FACE

Banned
Considering that the reviewer himself came here to tell us that we didn't understand the "process", whatever the hell that means, and that people who enjoy the multiplayer are factually wrong...I'd say this is a great reaction.
The man himself came off as very haughty and snide. Not saying that his review, or his opinion is bad. Just that he thinks my opinion is wrong and bad. And that makes him a very poor reviewer.

What a douche

Just finished. What a truly worthy successor to the original Doom series. Even though I had to play it at mostly 30-40fps, it was amazing fun.

The
Hell areas were the best part of the game to me. They felt SO MUCH like what Doom is supposed to be. I want so much more of that kind of level design... more skull keys!

I only have minor complaints...
I feel like the Gore Nest mechanic was over used and should have just been a one off section. After a while, every time they came up I felt like it was another canned event and it kinda took me out of the flow a bit. It didn't help that a lot of the early UAC nest rooms looked very similar - 'oh, another canned arena room'. I much preferred areas that just had demons appear, or they were already there.

I also think it'd be cool if the enemies had more obvious unique sound cues on appearance/death ala Doom 1/2.

Apart from that it is pretty much perfect in my opinion, they really nailed it and I already can't wait for a seque. Would love to see more
big open areas, large caverns etc
in it, ala Doom 2.

Getting a new video card tomorrow, then it's Ultra-Nightmare time!

leng jai

Am I the only one that has issues hearing enemies in this game? I'm using headphones and half the time huge ass enemies melee me from behind and I was completely oblivious to how they got there.

Rizific

any tips on multiplayer? seems like the chaingun is the flavor of the day. im a bit disappointed about the beam rifles damage.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
any tips on multiplayer? seems like the chaingun is the flavor of the day. im a bit disappointed about the beam rifles damage.

I'm a big fan of the vortex rifle + super shotty with frag grenades.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know I'm in the minority on this but I don't like the Hell environments nearly as much as the UAC facility. Something about that 80s/90s sci-fi aesthetic has always really gelled with me and I also seem to lost my bearings a lot more in Hell. The combat scenarios there are damn good though.

Fantomas

This or Super Shotty + Burst Rifle. That thing is really nice. MP is Fun. Opinions.

Is burst rifle really that good? I usually go static rifle + super shotty or rockets + super shotty. How much damage does burst rifle do?

I did this because it's obviously what the game wants you to do here, and then immediately afterward I realized there were like 3 weapon masteries I could have farmed in this room and was like DAMN I JUST PLAYED MYSELF

Lol, I had to do that too, it was worth it in my opinion.

Top Bottom