• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
RIP AND TEAR RIP AND TEAR RIP AND TEAR

ln6x12rY.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Man, I really like the multiplayer. It's scratching an itch i've had since Halo 3. I've only played about 30 minutes of it, and I'd like to see if I keep having these feelings about it, but I can see myself playing it for a while.

One thing I could do without is the demon transformations for sure, but I love everything else about it. I hope it has legs.

antitrop

So music like this plays throughout the game? If so, I need to get to the store ASAP.
It's also implemented dynamically. It builds throughout the encounters, sometimes it will start off slow, giving you small tastes of the main riff during a Glory Kill, before kicking into the full thing when the tougher enemies start spawning in. Hard to explain, but yeah just go buy it.

Phionoxx

For those playing on PC using controllers, how is it without auto-aim? That's my only concern with getting the PC version.

I've been playing through the PC version on Ultra-Violence mainly with a DS4 over m+KB, and the controls have been great on a pad. It may take some tweaking in the settings in terms of sensitivity and aim smoothing, but I haven't felt like I've been fighting the controls at all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's also implemented dynamically. It builds throughout the encounters, sometimes it will start off slow, giving you small tastes of the main riff during a Glory Kill, before kicking into the full thing when the tougher enemies start spawning in. Hard to explain, but yeah just go buy it.

The dynamic mixing and layering is seriously impressive stuff. Never heard it pulled off so successfully before.

antitrop

I've been playing through the PC version on Ultra-Violence mainly with a DS4 over m+KB, and the controls have been great on a pad. It may take some tweaking in the settings in terms of sensitivity and aim smoothing, but I haven't felt like I've been fighting the controls at all.

Only thing I've really had trouble with on a controller was the last Rune trial, with the Gauss Rifle. Even then, it wasn't too bad, took me like 10 tries.

No ADS, no reloading, no sprint, no teammates, no exosuits, no jetpacks, no wallrunning, no collapsing action setpieces, fuckall dumb story, no dog tags, no intel. Shit game.

rtcn63

I think I'm fucked. I was saving a field drone in case I picked up another weapon, and at the end of the mission, events transpired that prevented me from going back. If I redo the mission, do I have to finish the entire thing to save my progress? It's the third mission and I do not want to do that again.

Holding out hope for Sam 4 to make an appearance as well. Gonna be the best year for FPS in a long, long time.

I think SS4 will be next year at the earliest. We haven't seen a single snippet of it since it was announced three years ago (with a pseudo-crowdfunding approach, at that).

Sciz

pre-edit: Whoops, top of the page. As long as I'm here, I'll say that the game has a weird inverse difficulty curve going on. Even on Nightmare, late game enemy spawns don't keep up very well with player power, even before you introduce the BFG into the equation. And once it shows up, there's enough ammo for it to smooth over all of the notable difficulty spikes, so it's pretty much all over but the screaming.

I think SS4 will be next year at the earliest. We haven't seen a single snippet of it since it was announced three years ago (with a pseudo-crowdfunding approach, at that).

I'd agree with the reasoning, if not for how they announced Talos at E3 '14 and had it out by early December. Quick turnaround on the expansion, too. So I think there's a chance.

That said, on second thought, Devolver probably doesn't want it and SW2 releasing too close together.

Can't complain either way, in a year that's already had the miracle of a good DOOM game.

Stoze

I did this because it's obviously what the game wants you to do here, and then immediately afterward I realized there were like 3 weapon masteries I could have farmed in this room and was like DAMN I JUST PLAYED MYSELF

Haha I had the same reaction...it checkpoints right after you do it too. Worth it though.

Also I didn't realize how much aoe the Gauss Cannon has in siege mode until way late. You don't actually have to have people directly lined up with it, it's basically a mini BFG. That gun is just bonkers.

On xbox one, if you preordered digitally, you were supposed to get Doom 1 and Doom 2 correct? I preordered it a couple days before release and just now realized it didnt give me Doom 2. I already owned Doom 1

Stoze

No ADS, no reloading, no sprint, no teammates, no exosuits, no jetpacks, no wallrunning, no collapsing action setpieces, fuckall dumb story, no dog tags, no intel. Shit game.

Yeah, I've got to admit part of this game being so great is its contrast to the modern FPS architecture. It's legitimately refreshing. Kinda the reason I picked up Overwatch as well, which does away with a lot of modern multiplayer shooter stuff I'm not fond of.

It's a very good month for FPS games.

Well, after about twenty hours I beat the game, missed a few secrets and all the classic levels(except for two levers, I couldn't find the entrances), got most of the praetor and weapon upgrades as well as all the argent energy thingies.

Game was absolutely incredible, now to dive into MP and snapmap and probably playthrough the SP again.

The final boss is
Spider Mastermind
, and the design is absolutely fucking spot on awesome. I honestly can't get over how great that last fight was, the bosses in this were great.

Yeah I rarely enjoy boss fights but found all them here to be great. They are spaced out nicely, have good attacks, are the right level of challenging and fun. And the final boss design is so fucking good.

Top Bottom