• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Zomba13

Not played much, finally caved after watching all the videos and shit of how great it looked, even in the first hour or so. I'm running it pretty well on ultra with AA down a tad and some other things.

Only thing so far I don't like is the goddamn mouse stuff on the menus. Why is it so slow? Why can't it just take my mouse input like a bunch of other games can? I've done the stuff to turn off smoothing but it's still slow as fuck on menus. I know, in the grand scheme of things it's a minor, minor issue but games where the UI in menus and the like is bad just annoy me so much on PC.

And I had to unplug my pad because it wouldn't let me use kb/m with it in, but that is an issue completely solved by unplugging it and took like, a second to do.

The game part though, playing on Ultra Violence, is preeeeetty sweeeeeeet. And for all the shit I gave the multiplayer (not played yet though) for having the armour look like Halo stuff, I like the colour options. I like when games let me pick metalic colouring and I like when my cars or armour or whatever can look like 24K solid gold. So points there I guess.

I just know I'm gonna dream about his game. The environments are so perfectly realized that I feel like I'm looking at a game that 15 year-old me could only imagine. It also makes me want a new Metroid from Retro. Goddamn the atmosphere and moody soundtrack puts me right back in those similar moments from Prime. This game is just too good and deserves all the attention it can get. id really are one of the best devs in the business.

Slixshot

Banned
Man fuck ultra nightmare

is it... a nightmare?

lmao-o.gif

A-V-B

BTW, have you guys noticed that the Doom 3 theme is used in the soundtrack as a motif? It's not the whole thing, but it's the same notes and the same key.

The E1M2 theme is also used as background music.

I just killed the
Crucible Guardians
. Yet another boss fight that was hype as fuck. This game just get the boss fights right, they are just incredibly sublime and well-made. I don't think I've experienced quality FPS boss fights like these in a very long time.

Jombie

This is my GOTY so far. It's one of the best pure gaming experiences I've ever had, and it's refreshing for a video game to just be a video game.

Arctick

Fuck man, this game is way better than it has any right to be. I also keep finding myself favourably comparing it to a game like Metroid Prime with the platforming and exploration.
Yes I know its a Doom game and its from that era of games that had non-linear levels and the past games were like that, but I haven't played them.
The exploration feels waay more satisfying and rewarding than any Prime game, and when Doom locks you in a room until you kill everything, the shooting and fighting is actually fun. Prime 1 did that way too much and it always feels like such a waste of time.
I know someone will tell me they're completely different games, but I was immediately reminded of Prime when I started playing, and how much better Doom feels plays as a result.

Grief.exe

Fuck man, this game is way better than it has any right to be. I also keep finding myself favourably comparing it to a game like Metroid Prime with the platforming and exploration.
Yes I know its a Doom game and its from that era of games that had non-linear levels and the past games were like that, but I haven't played them.
The exploration feels waay more satisfying and rewarding than any Prime game, and when Doom locks you in a room until you kill everything, the shooting and fighting is actually fun. Prime 1 did that way too much and it always feels like such a waste of time.
I know someone will tell me they're completely different games, but I was immediately reminded of Prime when I started playing, and how much better Doom feels plays as a result.

A Metroidvania game with these mechanics.

6ac.png

Also I didn't realize how much aoe the Gauss Cannon has in siege mode until way late. You don't actually have to have people directly lined up with it, it's basically a mini BFG. That gun is just bonkers.

Yeah, you just point it in the vicinity of a group and they all explode into gibs. Arnold Schwarzenegger wishes he had a railgun as awesome as this.

Justinh

Now you know that you fight things. Might as well quit

honestly, I think the biggest problem is that people are comfortable embedding 70 Megabyte GIFs on GAF. At least people aren't quoting it like crazy (or at least removing the img tags).

Why not just link it? Spoiler tagging images has always been wonky and doesn't work correctly for all mobile users. ugh

Good thing he had that
Second Chance
rune, though,
as it looks to have saved him from a checkpoint load.

Completed the game last night...

What the fuck happened at
VEGA'S CORE
id? Man I was so fucking pissed off, that fucking
last wave at the train station took me about 10-12 tries compared to the Spider Mastermind which I killed on my second try

If it weren't for the
BFG
and chainsaw, mother of god.

Man I was angry.
Pinkys and Cacodemons can fuck off and die
the worst enemies a game can have, shit they weren't so beefed up in classic dooms, goddam.

#angry

Best part of the game wasn't threading the needle with the BFG and killing legitimately the entire room because of its AOE during movement, but how great the feeling was when later levels
started feeding you exposition about how afraid of you they were in ages long past

SparkTR

Anybody find the difficulty balance to be a bit off? Ultra Violence is WAY too easy for what it should be, but Nightmare is stepping a bit too close to being frustrating.

Doikor

Completed the game last night...

What the fuck happened at
VEGA'S CORE
id? Man I was so fucking pissed off, that fucking
last wave at the train station took me about 10-12 tries compared to the Spider Mastermind which I killed on my second try

If it weren't for the
BFG
and chainsaw, mother of god.

Man I was angry.
Pinkys and Cacodemons can fuck off and die
the worst enemies a game can have, shit they weren't so beefed up in classic dooms, goddam.

#angry

gauss cannon siege mode. use it.

Never played a Doom game before so I decided to try this on Ultra Violence. I'm in the K
adingir
S
anctum
stage. This is the most exciting and fun FPS I've ever played and it's kicking my ass SO hard.

Zushin

Really interested to see if the next Wolfenstein will take much from this game. I really fucking love Wolfenstein but there a few changes to combat that would make it even more amazing.

I did everything besides all secrets and weapon masteries...I need single player dlc now. If I hadn't redboxed it i would do the platinum I like the game that much

Really interested to see if the next Wolfenstein will take much from this game. I really fucking love Wolfenstein but there a few changes to combat that would make it even more amazing.

Agreed, would you keep and refine the gameplay from The New Order or would you make it more akin to Doom 2016? The level design is def a step up in this for sure.

Zushin

Agreed, would you keep and refine the gameplay from The New Order or would you make it more akin to Doom 2016? The level design is def a step up in this for sure.

I havent actually had a chance to play the new Doom yet, currently downloading, but from what I've seen of it so far I agree about the level design. I'd have to play it to give an opinion about it properly though.

In terms of mechanics I'd keep what they have in TNO but really work on the audio of the guns to really give it that OMPFH feeling and include a larger variety of weapons to spice things up. They nailed the visual feedback of the guns and the way enemies and concrete disintegrated. Probably need to change the you pick up ammo as well, I didn't personally find this too bad but I could see how it interrupted the flow of the game.

I'd also love to see something akin to the gun upgrade system in Wolf 09 too.

Top Bottom