• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Completed the game last night...

What the fuck happened at
VEGA'S CORE
id? Man I was so fucking pissed off, that fucking
last wave at the train station took me about 10-12 tries compared to the Spider Mastermind which I killed on my second try

If it weren't for the
BFG
and chainsaw, mother of god.

Man I was angry.
Pinkys and Cacodemons can fuck off and die
the worst enemies a game can have, shit they weren't so beefed up in classic dooms, goddam.

#angry

that was my favorite fight.

so.

ya.

Phionoxx

Finished the game tonight. What an amazing campaign. Can't believe how great it turned out, should not have doubted them being able to pull it off. Really hoping the game sells well enough for them to develop an expansion for SP within the next couple of years or so. Every (mainline) Doom game has had at least one, so they can't break the trend - right?

You just can't fuck up. Even an Imp and possessed soldier can kill you in one hit. Hell I died at full health from a regular ass possessed cuz he grabbed me.

I've got as far as level 2 twice. First time I screwed up and died to a possessed I ignored while fighting imps. Second time I died because I was too reckless. The most times I die is during the very first encounter because I don't have the shotgun grenade.

that was my favorite fight.

so.

ya.

You a masochist?

I think it was a bit waaaay over the top. The game tossing everything possible at you with demons that can hinder your aerial manouvers as well as land manouvers is frustrating.

As I said, it took me 10-12 tries to win. Worst moment of the game for me.

EDIT: As I said, Pinkies and Cacos have been he worst enemies for me. Revenants, Mancubi and barons? Not a problem.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A couple hours in, the only real complaint I have is the substandard check pointing. *particularly* when you're exploring. I wish there was a quick save option.

You a masochist?

I think it was a bit waaaay over the top. The game tossing everything possible at you with demons that can hinder your aerial manouvers as well as land manouvers is frustrating.

As I said, it took me 10-12 tries to win. Worst moment of the game for me.

EDIT: As I said, Pinkies and Cacos have been he worst enemies for me. Revenants, Mancubi and barons? Not a problem.

Couple bfg shots, gauss cannon, and lots of jumping and fun maneuvering. I think there was a power up pickup too.

it was intense and what I was hoping the game would finally dish out. Took me a few short tries and I smiled through the whole thing lol.

sucks you didn't enjoy it =/

Are you playing on a console? Also, what's the trouble with Cacos?

Stoze

Every once in a while Cacos sneak up on me and sometimes get a shot in which does a lot of damage. Other times though they're just a free kill hanging out in the sky. Pinkies were definitely the hardest for me and are supposed to be one of the hardest by design. I think the
invisible
variation of them is the last non-boss enemy that is introduced in the game.

Nothing the gauss can't handle though.

Couple bfg shots, gauss cannon, and lots of jumping and fun maneuvering. I think there was a power up pickup too.

it was intense and what I was hoping the game would finally dish out. Took me a few short tries and I smiled through the whole thing lol.

sucks you didn't enjoy it =/

Playing with m/kb, I tried using a controller at the beginning but I got owned so I switched to the easiest option.

The thing is that no matter how many glory kills I did, I got ganged up as soon as it was over and I was dead in two or three hits. Also, the problem with the Cacodemons is they are too durable, it takes like 3-4 rockets to kill them, and if you loose track of one then you're screwed, they're op up close.

Also, is it just me or are lost souls hravy hitters too? Plus they stun yoy after a succesful hit.

Nevertheless, as frustrating as I found that part it did not ruin all the fun I've had with this game. Clearly my GOTY.

Stoze

How's the normal difficulty setting for a first playthrough? Too easy with m+kb?

Yeah I'd say too easy. I played on Ultra-Violence and even it gets pretty easy at times, but is always satisfying.

Man, that's amazing. The bosses in this game are top-notch.

Bosses were great, I think they should've given them more health or taken away the BFG for them though. Felt like I didn't get enough time to explore their mechanics, but what was there was really well designed. Definitely would've liked more of them.

So Kadingir Sanctuary is the tipping point where Doom goes from being "a great game" to the "best shooter in over a decade". That was some fucking amazing stuff. I stil havent even finished the map but i got to the section where it throws
multiple barons of hell
at you. By the time i beat the last one i was internally screaming "COME ON!! ONE MORE LETS GO!!" lol..absolutely amazingly good fun.

This game is absolutely fucking legit.

Zomba13

Played some of the multiplayer and it was alright. Played a lot better than it looked from what I saw of the beta (being played on consoles probably didn't help). Doesn't seem to be a basic, simple, Deathmatch option though which is weird.

So Kadingir Sanctuary is the tipping point where Doom goes from being "a great game" to the "best shooter in over a decade". That was some fucking amazing stuff. I stil havent even finished the map but i got to the section where it throws
multiple barons of hell
at you. By the time i beat the last one i was internally screaming "COME ON!! ONE MORE LETS GO!!" lol..absolutely amazingly good fun.

This game is absolutely fucking legit.

That level had my jaw on the floor almost the entire time. The scenery, the music, the way it introduced the new enemies... and even the return of
skull keys, skull switches, and giant wooden doors with skulls mounted on them
. :)

The only issue i really have in the campaign are the annoying checkpoints.

I almost have to repeat an entire room after i die. No checkpoints after a fight.

And i cant skip cutscenes ive already seen

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The checkpoints are *fucking* garbage. Losing ten-fifteen minutes of exploration because it doesn't checkpoint before an encounter is really lame.

edit: loving the game, but it completely breaks my flow. It wouldn't matter if I wasn't completely engrossed a moment beforehand.

T.O.P

Banned

I almost have to repeat an entire room after i die. No checkpoints after a fight.

Wonder why they didn't go with manual saves, it's the only grip i have with the game atm

Darak

Wonder why they didn't go with manual saves, it's the only grip i have with the game atm

Manual saves are very inconvenient in console. You'd need to pause the game and navigate a menu, which disturbs the gameplay flow. There is also save scumming.

A checkpoint system could work well, but their implementation is very poor.

dlauv

Faster maybe. I really wouldn't say it's better though.

Those U4 animations man!!

Substance and consistency. Animations don't really mean much when the laws of game's platforming are so context sensitive and depend so little on player skill. DOOM isn't a platformer, and its platforming on offer is fairly basic and easy. However, I've never once felt cheated out of a jump. I feel that all of the time when playing Uncharted. I don't like how Nathan sometimes can't jump up to an eight foot ledge during exploration when most other times when he is clearly meant to platform, he readily does so. I don't like that a drop of about four feet can kill Nathan in some of the most extreme story circumstances, but the guy sticks the landing to some other jumps with some serious air. Other times, I don't think I would be able to make a jump, but plot gravity is on Nathan's side. This can be good, but at other times, Nathan seemed to have dropped hand magnets. In the very worst cases, Nathan won't grab a story ledge, due to glitch, poor collision, etc. He'll brush right against it, plummeting to his death, leaving me wondering where to go for a bit until I try it again and it somehow works. It's all just very inconsistent for a game that has so much of it and is so mechanically vapid.

Sorry for the rant.

Arkanius

Cutscenes are sometimes hidden loadings.
Notice how they also lock your framerate to 60fps

This game has better platforming than Uncharted 4

NOPE. There are a lot of the times I can't grab on platforms and ledges because... I don't know. It's inconsistent.

This game is super fun.
If you're interested in getting the game I recommend playing it in higher difficulty.

The extent of the platforming in this game is about one jump towards the end of the game where you need to use double jump to get around a barrier blocking a direct path.

Leaving out the entire Argent Tower mission? That was almost nothing but platforming from start to finish.

dlauv

The extent of the platforming in this game is about one jump towards the end of the game where you need to use double jump to get around a barrier blocking a direct path.

Argent Tower. And the extend of Uncharted's platforming is swinging on a rope until Nathan's hand grasps out, signaling to the player it's ok to let go. Really splitting hairs when it comes to complexity or the requirement of a player's skill. They're both pretty brain dead.

Corsick

Argent Tower. And the extend of Uncharted's platforming is swinging on a rope until Nathan's hand grasps out, signaling to the player it's ok to let go. Really splitting hairs.

Uncharted is such a "guided" experience that I don't think it deserves the benefit of the doubt compared to Doom when it comes to platforming. Honestly, Doom is just more enjoyable overall, platforming included. Whether it's "better" or not doesn't matter for me personally.

xVodevil

Yup those checkpoints...
Had to turn down from Ultra-Violance, around 3/4 of the game... after a time it was not fun, trying to get past certain super hard parts, 20+ times... Not like it matter for an achievement, you can play trough any difficulty.

ced

Got to start last night on PS4.

This combat in this is so fucking polished and good. I can't believe how well it all flows together.

Also the controls on PS4 are fucking perfect, didn't have to change any settings, I can spin and make perfect shots with defaults.

I thought I was going to disable the glory kill highlight, but I didn't mind it when actually playing. I may try disabling it tonight.

PnCIa

The funniest part for me atm is that i keep hitting R *a lot*. When i see the games visual quality i just expect that i have to reload, when was the last time we had an AAA FPS that didnt have reloading :D
Amazing game. Needs proper modding tools though.

Moff

this has probably been asked a lot before

but if you replay an old level to get secrets/collectibles, do you have to finish it for them to be saved or can you exit the level as soon as you got it?

The funniest part for me atm is that i keep hitting R *a lot*. When i see the games visual quality i just expect that i have to reload, when was the last time we had an AAA FPS that didnt have reloading :D
Amazing game. Needs proper modding tools though.

The bit that's really weird for me is how by default the Melee button in Snapmap switches from F to R, so I stagger a monster, run up and hit F a bunch and nothing happens and I have to remember "oh yeah, wrong button".

Warxard

Banned
this has probably been asked a lot before

but if you replay an old level to get secrets/collectibles, do you have to finish it for them to be saved or can you exit the level as soon as you got it?

I believe the level has to be finished.

Top Bottom